The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old December 23, 2017, 17:27   #1
MFC
Registered

FALaholic #: 74731
DSA new M-LOK handguard

DSA announced this on their Instagram page a few weeks ago but I don't think it has been posted yet. It appears to be a drop in M-LOK compatible handguard for FAL rifle length gas systems. Not much info yet but I'm guessing it'll be formally released at SHOT.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcYPjruH...n-by=dsarmsinc

It looks a lot like the Aim Sports version that has been out for a little while: https://aimsportsinc.com/default/pla...atiny-top.html Though I suppose there are only so many ways to skin that particular cat.

I see this being potentially quite useful for mounting a weaponlight. I'm also wondering how stable it will be and if a red dot could be attached at the very end? Might be more convenient that replacing the whole top cover. Guess we'll see...
MFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 17:41   #2
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
You know, for less than $10, you can mount a slab of plastic pic-rail wherever you want on your existing handguard, and you can clip your flashlight onto that added bit of pic-rail.

As for mounting an aiming device?
Are they kidding?

You either mount the aiming device securely to the rear of the gun, and have normal eye relief, or you mount the aiming device far-forward, and use some sort of long-eye relief system.

From what I'm seing on the image you linked, the rear of the ACRONYM-LOCK thing just slides into the standard FAL handguard ring. The front of it is "secured" in the same manner (one pass-through screw) as a standard FAL handguard. Yeah, that is probably secure enough for keeping a flashlight on the target. For precise aiming????... I don't think so.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 17:57   #3
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Yeah,

Better be alot better than the Vltor models. Hell they still haven't got the stock out they have been talking about for two years and showing for a year.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.

Last edited by Thorack; December 23, 2017 at 23:47.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 07:10   #4
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
What is a Vitor handguard?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 10:00   #5
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Well,

Check it out. Got three sets and they are currently the best handguards on the market IMHO.

https://www.vltor.com/shop/fal/handg...fal-handguard/

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Old December 31, 2017, 16:00   #6
FalDoc1982
Registered

FALaholic #: 71980
I have to agree with Thorack, the VLTORs are the nicest I've seen. I have the AIM Sports M-Lock and they're nice but not VLTOR nice.
FalDoc1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 11:28   #7
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
I picked up one of the AIM M-Lock handgaurds.

Having a rail on top allows one to use a red dot scope forward mounted and a standard dustcover.
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 15:07   #8
badfish
Registered

FALaholic #: 40009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
I picked up one of the AIM M-Lock handgaurds.

Having a rail on top allows one to use a red dot scope forward mounted and a standard dustcover.
I haven't posted much lately but in case anyone is wondering I work for Aimsports in development. Just wanted to say thanks for the purchase. I know my opinion is totally biased but one one feature like with our handguard is that it has M-Lok slots on the top section at 45. IMHO it is an optimal place for lights. There are other features I prefer as well but not trying to rain down on any company's product. If anyone has any questions about our handguards feel free to send me a PM or email me at george@aimsportsinc.com
Thanks
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 16:22   #9
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Well,

Check it out. Got three sets and they are currently the best handguards on the market IMHO.

https://www.vltor.com/shop/fal/handg...fal-handguard/

Thorack
Ouch! $300 for a handguard?
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 02:22   #10
STG_58_guy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 65886
I think I paid about $80 each for two of the Aim Sports hgs with no top rail and I luv 'em. Looks like optics planet has them for $68 and it comes with both railed and rail free top sections.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/aim-sp...EaAl1KEALw_wcB

That's a smokin deal.
STG_58_guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 02:30   #11
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Yeah...

Hell they still haven't got the stock out they have been talking about for two years and showing for a year.

Thorack
I think you may be wrong about that...

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 03:19   #12
rheubers
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 17785
Quote:
Originally Posted by STG_58_guy View Post
I think I paid about $80 each for two of the Aim Sports hgs with no top rail and I luv 'em. Looks like optics planet has them for $68 and it comes with both railed and rail free top sections.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/aim-sp...EaAl1KEALw_wcB

That's a smokin deal.
That's a smokin deal if saving a few dollars is worth spending time waiting for something that is not in stock to begin with. Opticsplanet is notorious for jerking people around.

That aside, I do have the AIM Sports Keymod handguard. Love it. Slim and very versatile. I can't comment on keymod versus Mlok as Keymod is all I've used, but I don't get why DSA decided to keep the three oval hole profile on the top half.

As badfish stated (and I agree) that is a great place to mount a light. It causes the light to cast shadows downwards diagonally, out of the sight picture. I use a Ergo extended rail to get the lense of my light in front of the gas block. To mount a light at three or nine o'clock will cast a conical shadow that projects upward opposite the side that the light is mounted.

I'm not going to talk trash about the Vltor CASV as Vltor is known for making solid gear, but that particular handguard seems too proprietary for mounting accesories compared to the versatilty of Keymod and Mlok.

Last edited by rheubers; January 12, 2018 at 03:28. Reason: Edit for punctuation. And capitalization. And stuff. Still failed. G'night Files, try the veal!
rheubers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 14:01   #13
MFC
Registered

FALaholic #: 74731
I'm pretty sure the VLTOR handguard came out long before keymod or m-lok were even things. At the time there were a lot of proprietary mounting options out there. Fortunately they seem to have standardized. I don't know if they will ever release one in a standardized pattern. I'm sure the fal is a low-volume market for them compared to AR's.
MFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 02:41   #14
rheubers
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 17785
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFC View Post
I'm pretty sure the VLTOR handguard came out long before keymod or m-lok were even things. At the time there were a lot of proprietary mounting options out there. Fortunately they seem to have standardized. I don't know if they will ever release one in a standardized pattern. I'm sure the fal is a low-volume market for them compared to AR's.
You're right about the timeline regarding the Vltor handguard and when keymod and mlok showed up. At the time, the only options for an FAL were Vltor and DSA quad rails, and quad or partial Picatinny rails were still the standard for ARs.

For the longest I eyeballed the CASV but couldn't warm up to the price. Quality, yes, but three bills on handguards for a gun built on a two bill kit didn't excite me, lol. Nice product though!
Old January 26, 2018, 09:14   #15
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
I myself am getting excited and anxious for them to start selling the new stock and handguards.

Link if your browser doesn't support embedded links - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYXX5fdjE9w

Also saw the other new video on FaceBook:

https://www.facebook.com/DSArms/vide...3943131341313/

Old January 26, 2018, 09:44   #16
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I generally don't like "modernized" FALs but a 16" para with a continuous top rail just looks cool as hell. An AR-15 style stock is a big no-no though
Old January 27, 2018, 18:49   #17
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

brunop,

The improved stocks DSA showed at 2017 Shotshow and again at 2018 Shotshow and Dan has been posting pics of here since Oct 2015 are still not for sale. I told Dan Id buy the first one and that offer still stands. Havent heard a peep. You try and buy one? Post up some pics.

Thorack

Last edited by Thorack; January 27, 2018 at 18:56.