The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 23, 2017, 07:27   #1
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
H.R. 2810: Here Come the Military Surplus 1911s to the Public!

By Dave Dolbee published on December 17, 2017 in Firearms, Military Surplus, News

On Tuesday, President Trump signed into law H.R. 2810, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018 (NDAA)—yada, yada, yada… The military currently has about 100,000 1911s just sitting in storage and costing the taxpayers money to store them. H.R. 2810 requires military surplus M1911/M1911A1 pistols (1911s) to be made available for sale to the American public!

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/h-r-...a2757c6c3f3da1
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 08:25   #2
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Quote:
Originally Posted by FALonious View Post
By Dave Dolbee published on December 17, 2017 in Firearms, Military Surplus, News

On Tuesday, President Trump signed into law H.R. 2810, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018 (NDAA)—yada, yada, yada… The military currently has about 100,000 1911s just sitting in storage and costing the taxpayers money to store them. H.R. 2810 requires military surplus M1911/M1911A1 pistols (1911s) to be made available for sale to the American public!

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/h-r-...a2757c6c3f3da1
Just made sure to re-up my affiliated club membership to be eligible for cmp purchases. Gonna jump on these asap.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 10:09   #3
Steggo
Registered

FALaholic #: 6689
The CMP made a preliminary announcement of the purchase requirements and sales procedures earlier this month.

The amount of whining and b***ing it generated on their discussion boards is unbelievable.

Truly and example of how if you started handing out $10 bills on a street corner some people would still complain.
Steggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 10:48   #4
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steggo View Post
The CMP made a preliminary announcement of the purchase requirements and sales procedures earlier this month.

The amount of whining and b***ing it generated on their discussion boards is unbelievable.

Truly and example of how if you started handing out $10 bills on a street corner some people would still complain.
I plan on mailing my order the day it becomes available and then if contacted buying the highest quality one they have available.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 14:46   #5
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
3 old guys will buy them all in 3 minutes and offer them on gunbroker with 2000$ reserves.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 15:00   #6
tdb59
not really a gun guy
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
3 old guys will buy them all in 3 minutes and offer them on gunbroker with 2000$ reserves.
Ummm.

No.

Some preliminary decisions further clarified updated 12/12/2017:
1.CMP will have an all-new 1911 order form, 1911 purchasing instructions, a 1911 page on our web site, a dedicated 1911 FFL fax number and email address for the FFL holder to send their FFL with customer's name attached. The customer will have to send in a complete new order packet with all new qualifying criteria included. Everyone will be a new customer, everyone starts with no advantage or disadvantage. CMP 1911 is an FFL governed operation and is a separate entity from CMP and has to have its own record keeping operation with no ties to the old CMP records.
2.Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt. CMP will price at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation.
3.Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) a signed copy of the 01, 02, 07 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to. These are "store front" FFLs.
4.A NICS background check will be performed by CMP on the customer to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the "store front" FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a "proceed" from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.
5.The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person at the FFL dealers place of business, successfully passing a NICS check, in which the information is provided by the FFL holder to NICS, before the pistol can be transferred. This is a second NICS check performed on the customer.
6.Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
7.No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales. All 1911 orders will come in via USPS, UPS, Fed EX, etc.
8.CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
9.Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery, USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc.
10.Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
11.Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
12.The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
13.Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
14.When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one 1911 type pistol.
15.As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grades and pricing options will be available.

Matthew 5:16
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 15:20   #7
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
What kind of BS is #4 and #5? The 4473 and therefore the NICS check is done at the transferring FFL, not the seller. Can't do two 4473/NICS on the same transaction can you?
Old December 27, 2017, 17:18   #8
Steggo
Registered

FALaholic #: 6689
The CMP has access to the NICS system and uses it to do background checks for normal rifle sales.

They appear to be using their ability to do NICS checks as a way to screen 1911 purchasers. If you don't pass their NICS check, your application is "incomplete" your name is not even going to go into the hat to be drawn for a place in line to purchase.

The CMP has set up a separate legal entity "CMP 1911" as an 01 FFL to do the actual distribution. CMP 1911 will send the firearm to the purchasers local 01 FFL to do the transfer on a 4473. The local FFL will handle it like any other transfer and do a NICS check and/or whatever BS their local jurisdiction requires to transfer a hand gun.
Steggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 18:29   #9
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I don't want one.

In fact, I don't want one so much that if you offered me one for free, on the condition that I HAD TO KEEP IT, I would pass.

But, it pleases me that the whole thing is a sharp stick in the eye to all the cocksuckers who have been smugly standing in the way of it for so long.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 19:24   #10
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
I don't want one.

In fact, I don't want one so much that if you offered me one for free, on the condition that I HAD TO KEEP IT, I would pass.

But, it pleases me that the whole thing is a sharp stick in the eye to all the cocksuckers who have been smugly standing in the way of it for so long.
I found myself indifferent to the whole mess about this. Until I read this ^. I like this, think I'll go with it.
Old December 28, 2017, 22:24   #11
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Can’t wait for the “So disappointed with my 1911” threads.

Personally, I hope they come from training battalions.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote