The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old December 19, 2017, 21:50   #1
rtracy111
Registered

FALaholic #: 46509
Brit kit value

So I found a Brit kit, bore erosion 0 or better 90% or better on the finish. Its an all matching kit stamped 1980. I have some pics sent to me by seller but do not have time to post. paid 600 shipped. What would to approx value in today's market, just looking for rough value. thinking this was a good deal.
rtracy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 22:11   #2
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Opinions vary.
GP has a list in the MP that's sitting, starting at $750 going up to $995.
Since I've been in the market myself I've been watching a few. On GB I've watched a couple go for $505 and $581. Nice, complete, not perfect. The higher one had an uncut barrel, the cheap one neutered. There are others in the $500+ range that are sitting.
I'd say your kit is likely worth what he paid for it, maybe add $100 to the right buyer.
A few months ago there was one in the MP that was listed for $900, IIRC. It sat for a weeks before finally selling. The selling price was not disclosed. This was one of the nicest and newest year stamped kits I've seen, seem to recall 80 something? I nearly bought it myself but the price, well, I'm a cheap bastard.
Old December 20, 2017, 07:56   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
Opinions vary.
GP has a list in the MP that's sitting, starting at $750 going up to $995.
for completely inspected, repaired, & refinished - a $250 value and the $995 is with a super rare NIW UK barrel - worth up to $400 by itself

For an average kit, I'd say about the same as an IMBEL. Harder to sell, smaller market. So $500-$600
Old December 20, 2017, 16:15   #4
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
for completely inspected, repaired, & refinished - a $250 value.....
Ever lend thought that some folks may want the kit in it's original, worn finish? Could be an option, not everyone wants to build a shiny new rifle.

I'm not intending to take away from the work you've done to these kits, they are beautiful and will build gorgeous rifles. Seems that it would make sense to offer the kits for a lower price in original finish with a refinish and repair job offered as an upgrade.
Old December 20, 2017, 16:46   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Ever lend thought that some folks may want the kit in it's original, worn finish? .. Seems that it would make sense to offer the kits for a lower price in original finish with a refinish and repair job offered as an upgrade.
There are other places where people can buy beat-up kits with broken and missing parts, and covered with rust. Just not from me.
Old December 20, 2017, 17:52   #6
rtracy111
Registered

+1 Gunplumber, I just had a friend go on your site to order off you knew he would be happy with what he got from you. going to post some pics of the kit in a few. What is one of the LMT/DSA dropped forged L1A1 receiver worth? I have access to one guy is asking 525.00 plus shipping.
Old December 20, 2017, 18:17   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtracy111 View Post
What is one of the LMT/DSA dropped forged L1A1 receiver worth? I have access to one guy is asking 525.00 plus shipping.
Snatch it up. They go for $600+ here.
Old December 20, 2017, 18:33   #8
rtracy111
Registered

photo IMG_9242_zpsxolgir6b.jpg
Old December 20, 2017, 18:36   #9
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
There are other places where people can buy beat-up kits with broken and missing parts, and covered with rust. Just not from me.
What ?

The venerable Gunplumber won't offer SARCO SELECT ?

good on him
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017, 18:38   #10
rtracy111
Registered

photo IMG_9239_zpsdnxzaozj.jpg
Old December 20, 2017, 18:41   #11
rtracy111
Registered

photo IMG_9237_zpss2nwrrqx.jpg

photo IMG_9236_zpsedoyvg2e.jpg

photo IMG_9236_zpsedoyvg2e.jpg

photo IMG_9234_zps5kna2ewy.jpg
Old December 21, 2017, 08:26   #12
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Hmm - I wonder if the red paint at the chamber means anything - like it was condemned.

Looks pretty nice. You might get $600 for it, late barrel and all. I would offer you half that. Or trade for a FAL kit. Auctions are always the best way to determine value.
Old December 21, 2017, 09:26   #13
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
Ever lend thought that some folks may want the kit in it's original, worn finish? Could be an option, not everyone wants to build a shiny new rifle.

I'm not intending to take away from the work you've done to these kits, they are beautiful and will build gorgeous rifles. Seems that it would make sense to offer the kits for a lower price in original finish with a refinish and repair job offered as an upgrade.
I would buy one of the refinished kits in a heartbeat but I can't get past the scrubbing of the original serial numbers. Rather have all the original markings even if they don't match.

I would put an all matching number Brit kit at a premium.. very few of them out there match. I'm guessing Century demilled them at import and threw all the parts in a pile and then put together their rifles and kits by grabbing random pieces. It's a shame.
Old December 21, 2017, 10:05   #14
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
I would buy one of the refinished kits in a heartbeat but I can't get past the scrubbing of the original serial numbers. Rather have all the original markings even if they don't match.
Which is, to me, one of the more bizarre, irrational, illogical, emotional precepts I've ever heard. I believe that you are a minority of my customer base. If I do have a number-matching kit, I may keep it that way. But my experience has been, that the same people who pontificate on original numbers, are not willing to pay much of a premium for it. Which makes interchangeability of more value to me than humoring a very small portion of my potential buyers.

Also, I may need to pull a lower or bolt/carrier assembly from inventory to repair another rifle. That I can use any part, from any kit, on any gun, without refinishing it, is important to me. Because they are not numbered to a non-existent receiver. I can also, on request, stamp the buyer's receiver number, if he doesn't have his own stamps.

I do match the kits up as best I can, trying to keep all dated parts within the same few years, if available. And I try to keep Aussie and UK groups together. One may note from my marketplace ad, that the description of certain kits has changed. This is because I had some mixed Aussie/UK kits. I obtained some more parts, and was able to rearrange those kits to be more uniformly from one country or the other. I also, when possible, try to match the furniture to the era. So a pre-1960 UK would more likely have wood furniture, and a later one the plastic.

Digression: Although I now have a UB60(?) marked Aussie lower - with a blank AD on the right side. That was interesting. And I have plenty of Aussie cross-flag proofed Enfield bolts. And one really interesting bolt w/crossed flags and no lightening cuts. Originally thought it was Indian, but although India used the broad-arrow stamp, the crossed flags, I think, are unique to Australia.

Last edited by gunplumber; December 21, 2017 at 10:12.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017, 10:28   #15
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

I'm in that minority, too, I suppose. I don't care for the mill marks. Matching numbers or not, I rather have those than milled windows. This follows my tendency to like things as original as possible. Emotional, illogical, not to your preference for reasons of convenience, not withstanding. Those marks are a part of the piece's history and that's a major draw for me. I understand you are in the business of making money and do what you can to improve that endeavor. But taking time to mill out numbers, were I in a position to decide, is not something I'd spend the time and effort doing unless a customer requested it, and then there would be a fee involved.
Old December 21, 2017, 14:18   #16
rtracy111
Registered

I am not looking to sell unless somebody really wanted it. I will pick up the receiver in Feb when I have the funds and a beautiful correct Brit L1A1 will be reborn. My first Fal build was Brit. It was a great shooter and sets is a friends collection and I will get it back one day. I like the Inch guns better then the metrics, always have. They feel lighter in the hand have better balance and if a good barrel, shoot better then the average metric. The only reason I started crewing Metrics together was because they are easier to find the right receivers for. I am in no way a purest. but I think a metric should be metric and an inch should be an inch.
Old December 23, 2017, 09:10   #17
SCHALLERJOHN
Registered

FALaholic #: 9503
Out of curiosity, where are you sourcing an L1A1 upper receiver?
SCHALLERJOHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 14:01   #18
rtracy111
Registered

An inactive member here, its where i got the kit. Ill post pics when she is built.
Old December 24, 2017, 01:18   #19
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtracy111 View Post
+1 Gunplumber, I just had a friend go on your site to order off you knew he would be happy with what he got from you. going to post some pics of the kit in a few. What is one of the LMT/DSA dropped forged L1A1 receiver worth? I have access to one guy is asking 525.00 plus shipping.
At $525, snatch it. I just sold an NOS LMT/DSA dropped forged L1A1 receiver for $1000 last month to pay for my daughter's MRI bills.
raexcct2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 01:43   #20
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
Originally Posted by raexcct2 View Post
At $525, snatch it. I just sold an NOS LMT/DSA dropped forged L1A1 receiver for $1000 last month to pay for my daughter's MRI bills.
Are those Aussie cut or Brit cut?
Old December 24, 2017, 01:44   #21
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Are those Aussie cut or Brit cut?
Australian
Old December 24, 2017, 06:14   #22
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Whoa!!!

$1k for a DSA Aussie receiver. Thats a record. Wonder how much a loose Eden would go for?

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 16:38   #23
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Whoa!!!

$1k for a DSA Aussie receiver. Thats a record. Wonder how much a loose Eden would go for?

Thorack
Probably even more. The buyer was pretty insistent and at that price I couldnít say no especially since I needed the money for the MRI as I am still fighting GEICO insurance for the car accident in which she was rear ended at a stoplight by a idiot GEICO insured driver who wasnít paying attention.

Iíve been noticing that L1A1 kit prices on Gunbroker are down unless itís an unmolested , original kit with original barrel. I have two all original British L1A1 kits that I will be selling after Christmas plus two ARS built L1A1ís (1 British, 1 Australian) both safe queens (never been shot after coming back from ARS) that I also might put up for sale. Iíll have to check which receivers I used on those two. I think they were both Imbel inch but I am not sure if I used a LMT/DSA on the Australian. Still trying to consolidate parts to sell but the market sucks right now.
Old December 24, 2017, 19:20   #24
rtracy111
Registered

This one will be a Brit cut.