Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 16, 2017, 11:40   #1
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
I'm about done with local gun shows

I am already attending only in winter or on crappy rainy Saturdays anyway.
After today, I may be done altogether.

NIB plastic pistols priced $20 over LGS retail = CHECK!
ARs at 2013 Sandy Hook madness pricing = CHECK!
Beat up Pythons for $2,600 and up = CHECK!
Swords, knifes, and tomahawks = CHECK!
Bumper sticker and T-shirts = CHECK!
Miscellaneous sized ammo cans = CHECK!
Reloaded ammo higher than internet ordered NEW delivered to house price = CHECK!
Various Mosins, sporterized Mausers, and Japanese military rifles starting at $400 = CHECK!
One Garand in the building at $1,500 = CHECK!
One FAL consisting of Brit lower, Imbel barrel, FMAP receiver for $1,500 = CHECK!
Beef jerky = CHECK!

I drove 40 minutes each way and paid $6 to go in and walk a 1/2 hour lap for this
Old December 16, 2017, 11:48   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
The ones here are teh suck. No beer, FAL mags for $30, that the guy claimed were Austrian, nope they weren't. People carrying around rifles and muzzle sweeping everyone in the place. Only thing I've bought is ammo cans but did get a source for a gun safe.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 11:56   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I am down to two local shows a year now. I used to hit them all if I could but the fire of want just isn't there anymore. When I do buy it's something I gave up in the past to get something new. However I passed up a little show 40 minutes away that I set up a table in for 20 years because it is no fun now. So packed you got no room to look at stuff and can't BS because the crowd pushes you along.

The gun club I am a life member of puts on two shows a year, I support the club by going and help friends at their tables so now it's all social.
Old December 16, 2017, 12:03   #4
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Yep,

Older generation that hasnt figured out this inner web thing. Been said here before but gunshows now are for people that just want to show their guns, and maybe have a price tag on them. The internet is where guns actually get sold.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 12:05   #5
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
Years ago gun shows were fun. Never knew what you would stumble upon. Their was always a chance for a good deal on something.

For quite a few years now the shows just sux.
The vendors have always been horse thieves, but now the vendors have little if any grip on reality. Better deals online and at the LGS.
And of course their are fewer and fewer vendors. They age out and are not replaced.
Things change.
Illurian00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 12:32   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

The net has a lot to offer and maybe some of us old guys don't get it but I have yet to buy without direct face to face contact with a seller. The local website has classifieds to sell guns and it cost more to see one gun than to go to a gun show. Plus more often than not the gun is misrepresented and you see it right away at the meeting.

Gun shows here are mostly FFL dealers with a set margin of profit that starts out in the hole at $65 a table. Big dealers have ten tables plus help to run them so volume is the winner. The one table seller is usually an old guy selling his collection for one reason or another.

The big seller is fugged because falling prices now hurts him because his inventory cost more than what he can sell for. The latest greatest plastic wonder gun is getting cheaper all the time and they can't sell for a profit their inventory.

So ya the shows change but the worst change is none of them have anything I want, not at the shows and not on the net.
Old December 16, 2017, 13:38   #7
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Ah, the good old days. Going to a gun show was an almost magical experience. You never knew what treasure you might find. I remember getting butterflies the closer to the show I got. I would meet up with a friend or two for breakfast and make a day of it. At some point there became too many people and not enough good stuff, so now it's you guys and Gunbroker. Now I'll go over to a friends house and we'll talk guns, drink beer and watch the UFC. The gun stores around here have gotten a lot better and every now and then there's a gem in the used gun rack. I enjoy the hobby now as much as I ever did. It's kinda nice being able to buy guns from the comfort of my computer chair.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 13:40   #8
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
I used to be a regular denizen of the gun shows in my area, but the Internet has changed all that. When I started hearing vendors justifying their pricing with references to eBay or Gunbroker I couldn't help think "if it worth that online why aren't you selling there"? The gunshows around me have all become politically correct, rarely do you see the hobbyist selling off items from their collection, now you need a State Tax ID, a vendors license, an FFL and proof your kids are vaccinated before you can rent a table. It's a shame.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service

Last edited by SPEEDGUNNER; December 16, 2017 at 15:34.
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 14:10   #9
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
There is a local show promoter that I know that only allows Guns, Knives, and related items.

No stun guns.

No beef jerky.

No t-shirts.

No camping gear.

No fishing tackle.

No archery.

No beanie babies.

No gold chain or jewelry.

Y'all ought to set up your own Gun Show.

It is so easy, that my Wife does it.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 14:35   #10
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
There is a local show promoter that I know that only allows Guns, Knives, and related items.

No stun guns.

No beef jerky.

No t-shirts.

No camping gear.

No fishing tackle.

No archery.

No beanie babies.

No gold chain or jewelry.

Y'all ought to set up your own Gun Show.

It is so easy, that my Wife does it.

This show? I'd go to.
Old December 16, 2017, 17:06   #11
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
You could still stumble upon a gem, but it would be sheer dumb luck. The dealers all have their eye out to screw any guy who isn't up on what he has, so you'd probably have a better shot at getting hit by lightning.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 17:06   #12
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
I am already attending only in winter or on crappy rainy Saturdays anyway.
After today, I may be done altogether.

NIB plastic pistols priced $20 over LGS retail = CHECK!
ARs at 2013 Sandy Hook madness pricing = CHECK!
Beat up Pythons for $2,600 and up = CHECK!
Swords, knifes, and tomahawks = CHECK!
Bumper sticker and T-shirts = CHECK!
Miscellaneous sized ammo cans = CHECK!
Reloaded ammo higher than internet ordered NEW delivered to house price = CHECK!
Various Mosins, sporterized Mausers, and Japanese military rifles starting at $400 = CHECK!
One Garand in the building at $1,500 = CHECK!
One FAL consisting of Brit lower, Imbel barrel, FMAP receiver for $1,500 = CHECK!
Beef jerky = CHECK!

I drove 40 minutes each way and paid $6 to go in and walk a 1/2 hour lap for this
It'll be a drive but got to Tulsa in the spring. The Wanenmacher Show was the absolutely biggest display of firearms for sale that I've ever seen. And, no jerky, costume jewelry, Scentsy, or paintball. Just millions of dollars worth of actual firearms, ammunition, and accessories. Was well worth the day off work and hotel room for the trip.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 17:12   #13
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

SWOHFAL has it about right. A Nebraska FFL, now convicted felon, I know used to brag about how he loved shows in the mid west like Nebraska because alot of old Farmers had no idea of their guns value and he could screw them blind. ATF eventually caught up with his ass. Shitbird.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 17:28   #14
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I finished clearing out my storage area and have been down the basement sorting through a ton of of those 25gal tupperware containers. Gun parts, mags, web gear, scopes, uniforms, helmets...you name it.
You probably would have had better luck and a lot more fun at my place....
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 17:36   #15
Bawana jim
Registered

We had an FFL here get busted for selling to a felon. When the BATFE showed up the FFL even helped them carry all the guns out to be confiscated. He appeared before the judge for a plea and the judge said the FFL was truly remorseful and noted he helped carry the guns out so he gave him 3 years probation, a $400 fine and took his FFL away. He didn't get $250,000 worth of guns back yet.

This guy was always at the gun shows and I suspect at 73 they really didn't want to put his old ass in jail.
Old December 16, 2017, 17:41   #16
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
You probably would have had better luck and a lot more fun at my place....
Excellent idea brother!!!

We will be home from church by 11 and can head your way then.

You are almost an hour drive away, so noonish???

Are you fixing lunch, should we eat before we get there, or can we bring you lunch ???
Old December 16, 2017, 17:44   #17
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
We had an FFL here get busted for selling to a felon. When the BATFE showed up the FFL even helped them carry all the guns out to be confiscated. He appeared before the judge for a plea and the judge said the FFL was truly remorseful and noted he helped carry the guns out so he gave him 3 years probation, a $400 fine and took his FFL away. He didn't get $250,000 worth of guns back yet.

This guy was always at the gun shows and I suspect at 73 they really didn't want to put his old ass in jail.
Ironic thing is many probably ended up in the hands of felons through the black market.

Old December 16, 2017, 17:55   #18
djvdz66
Registered

FALaholic #: 76958
Gun shows started to suck when the internet became popular. I don't waste my time going to them. Pay a bunch of money to get in and walk out empty handed. Nah, not for me.
djvdz66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 18:15   #19
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
I don't bother to attend any gun shows now. It once was fun taking the boys and good deals could be had. No more. Anything I want is either a 'click' away and delivered to my door within a few days or with local dealers who appreciate my business. 'F' gun shows!
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 18:22   #20
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Fat dudes waddling down the aisles getting French Fry grease on weapons - check!

Straw purchasers on the phone to their significant others - check!

Narcs following along in the wake of the above - check!

'Experts' pontificating their knowledge - check!

Hapless fools sweeping everyone with their dead Granddad's Remington 700 that they want to trade for an AR15 - check!
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 18:30   #21
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Local shows are the only place to find rare items at stupid low prices.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 18:54   #22
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
I haven't been to a gun show in many years. A long time ago here in Houston there was a huge gunshow at the Astrohall that was so big I couldn't see everything there in one day. It was so much fun those days. I think I actually bought my first STG-58 kit there back in like 2000. They had boxes and boxes of them and heavy barrel Izzy's.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 19:33   #23
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
Local shows are the only place to find rare items at stupid low prices.
Pretty sure that the hope that one can do so is what still drives many to go.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 20:03   #24
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Iím about done with local shows here in Virginia myself. Aside from the occasions where I just need ammo or accessories, there isnít anything that I get excited about as far as firearms go.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 20:22   #25
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820
Picked up some 10mm brass today at the lcoal show. Reloading stuff is pretty good at the shows here..bout the only reason to go.
spider991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 20:38   #26
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
I'm back to going to shows from time to time because I don't want anything. I'm just there to see what's there, and maybe buy something I didnt know I wanted if the spirits move me.
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 20:40   #27
ray55classic
Registered

FALaholic #: 72759
Location: east of Eden in the land of Nod on the boulevard of broken dreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
I haven't been to a gun show in many years. A long time ago here in Houston there was a huge gunshow at the Astrohall that was so big I couldn't see everything there in one day. It was so much fun those days. I think I actually bought my first STG-58 kit there back in like 2000. They had boxes and boxes of them and heavy barrel Izzy's.
The Houston Gun Collectors Association show , you're right you could find anything you wanted there and spend all weekend looking,
since they tore down the astrohall and moved it into the new building it lost all it's glory.
It's still the best show in the area but a mere shadow of what it once was
Old December 16, 2017, 21:58   #28
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Excellent idea brother!!!

We will be home from church by 11 and can head your way then.

You are almost an hour drive away, so noonish???

Are you fixing lunch, should we eat before we get there, or can we bring you lunch ???
Seriously ??
Your more than welcome to run down, visit and peruse my junk, but be forwarned, my place is a completely 'in construction' disaster...and I have enough 'stuff' for a normal household of about 30 people, crammed into a 3bdr house,,,lol
You know I cant eat any mammal meat or milk products with the allergy,,and Im doing no carbs right now, so you better eat before you come unless you want rabbit food...
Text and lmk if your coming...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 08:11   #29
rarecat
Registered

FALaholic #: 41232
I echo most peoples gripes about the current state of shows. I still go and usually leave empty handed but every so often I score. Last week was a 1891 Trapdoor Springfield with the ramrod bayonet....

you just never know what you might find...
rarecat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 09:30   #30
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Here's my two cents. IMHO young guys should pay heed, and I'm surprised at the attitudes of the older crowd.

No doubt gunshows have changed. Putting aside the dreamcatchers and jerky, clearly there's an increase of AR15 type "junk" which is obtainable on Amazon. And, the old reliable surplus (which you old folks will remember as always being there) such as Mausers and Garand bayonets has- surprise! dried up as new collectors came in and prices went up. Likewise FAL stuff- it didn't go to the incinerator, it dissipated into collections.

Exhibitors are comprised largely of three types- old gents who've collected a long time, new guys selling generic NIB cheap guns, and scroungers who sell whatever junk they come across in estate sales, barns, and retiring gunshops.

New cheap gun guys are making a living off young kids with little money. Pass them by and let them do their thing.

Scroungers are where the real steals are. God knows where they get this stuff. They have maybe a 10% product turnover every year, so if you want to see what's new you have to dig through the same old crap at every show. But this is where the rarities show up at low prices. For example, my two Type B bayonets ($325 and $100), a Force Publique GL for $20 (has Falcon or EX1 seen one?), and unusual Garand, Carbine, and 1917/1919 parts. If you get lucky (and I do) you can find stuff that you won't find on GB or Ebay and you'll pay next to nothing for it.

The old crotchety guys are the ones that bring the same Garands, G43s, and the like to every show. This is, after all, a SHOW, not a sale. Heck, they get to handle their collection more than you do yours. Prices are high because they're financially secure and don't have to sell.

These old guys are the ones you want to know well. They have a close knit community. The best stuff changes hands before the doors open. Newsflash, this happens on FAL Files too- the best stuff changes hands off-board...and often without an exchange of cash. You wouldn't believe the stuff that changes hands on the 1919 forum with no cash moving...I'm taking four or five thousand dollar transactions, either kept in some memory bank or PIF. Same with Knob Creek- I've seen five grand in parts move with a promise to pay two grand some time in the future.

But these old guys...they're sitting on loads of stuff, not just what they bring to the show. Stuff that's not worth dragging out to the show. Stuff that if you know them and mention you need a part, they'll bring it to the next show and you darned well might get it for free. The price on the label is for Johnny Nobody...my price is a lot lower.

And "God forbid" you do something for the inner circle. I was GIVEN a museum quality semi 1919a4. My buddy was recently GIVEN a Postal Meter carbine. The guy who got a registered MP44 for $6k because the seller- who knew the value- liked him. I could go on for pages.

The old guys also know who has what. They might not have what you want, but they know who does.

My recommendation is to start exhibiting at shows. Or at least spend all day, both days, there walking around talking to vendors. Don't expect anything on day one...you need to prove your worthiness to be adopted into the circle. It takes time- a couple years even. But the payoff is well worth it.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 11:11   #31
gunseller
Registered

FALaholic #: 10120
I try to make one per year. It is local to me and a friend of mine puts it on. There used to be an older guy with a box of old loading dies there. I think he died as he has not been there the last two years. I would go through the box and buy the likes of 30 Gibbs dies NIB for $10. That was fun and I have several die that I will never have firearms for but I have the dies. I am sure I could sell NIB RCBS dies in RCBS cardboard boxes for way more than $10. I still go just because it is close and a friend puts it on. The local dealers are there and I could buy from them anytime. But why do that when I could buy from myself cheaper.
Steve
gunseller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 11:55   #32
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
The ones here are teh suck. No beer, FAL mags for $30, that the guy claimed were Austrian, nope they weren't. People carrying around rifles and muzzle sweeping everyone in the place. Only thing I've bought is ammo cans but did get a source for a gun safe.
They still serve beer at a big gun show here in MA. They hope you forget how sucky the gun laws are and make you think you're getting a deal for a banged up, pieces parts 1903 for $1500.

But the golden days of gun shows has set for me. I used to love to go the Manchester NH Armory shows when we were awash in surplus parts and ammo in the mid 1990's. But you can still always find a table with a box of parts that the seller doesn't know or really care what somethings are worth, they just want it gone.
Old December 17, 2017, 13:11   #33
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
I had not attended any shows for a number of years, but int he past year my sone decided he wanted to buy his first pistol so we tried some of the local shows and it was extremely disappointing.

It seems the local gun shows have turned into places to buy jerky, knives, surplus military uniforms, food, etc... and once it a while you may get lucky to find someone that actually is selling a firearm... but even then it will be some type of AR, a plastic something... or an over priced something else...

All that said, we ended up buying from one of the established FFL Internet dealers and shipping to a local FFL.

It seems like the good days of the local gun shows are gone.

Just my angry rants on this topic, your mileage and experiences may vary...
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 15:23   #34
Falcon
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2049
I'm with you nog, gotta scratch below the surface of those gunshows to get at the gems. Worked the CWGCA Fond Du Lac show for many years and now doing the same in Alabama/Georgia.
Old December 17, 2017, 16:12   #35
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I've owned two-or-more of every "tough-guy-toy" a fella could ever want.

I quit collecting tough-guy-toys when I realized that owning tough-guy-toys didn't necessarily make me a tough guy. I further realized I had so many of those things, that I didn't have time to use even half of them while I pretended to be a tough guy.

Not much point in keeping going to the tough guy show and buying shit I won't use.

I sold a bunch of that stuff and bought some cars and car parts. I'm not sure what its called. I just know the sound it makes when I push my foot down. If I break it, all the better gives me more things to actually do with it. Its as much fun putting it back together as it breaking it.

I'm amazed at how far the battery-powered wrenches have come. If you EVER turn wrenches on a car - especially if you do any work on suspension - you GOTTA get a Milwaukee M18 half-inch-drive gun. Oh. My. God.

The project doesn't have to be cool or fast - but it helps. Really just needs to keep my mind occupied with a foward objective. My mind turns to Jello when I walk into gun shows or gun stores these days.

I'm not buying any more of that stuff. I've still got 5x more than I can use.
I for damn sure aint gonna "collect" it for the sake of being conservator of it for somebody else. No disrespect for the special folks who live for that role of ownership. Not for me though. I'm the "keep your foot in it until it breaks" kind of guy.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 19:09   #36
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I keep threatening to quit, but keep going. Sometimes I buy nothing and leave empty handed, others I score a lot or just a little. It is enough to keep me coming back I suppose. I do walk right by most of it though.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 19:09   #37
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I wish I could go, but I'm always working. I just like guns and looking at everything, and seeing if I can get a gurl to wave at me.
Old December 17, 2017, 20:50   #38
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I took 30 guns home with me from the Harrisburg PA show. There is a wholesaler who deals in police trade-ins. Brand New Gen 4 Glock 22's for $340 out the door. 3 of them were sequentially numbered. I took home a slew of S&W 10's, Remmy shotguns (870 Police Magnums and 870 Marines) and some S&W M&P's. I should make out OK on them. Glad I caught him early, I just about cleaned him out of the good stuff.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 22:56   #39
gew98
Registered

FALaholic #: 32830
Location: away from taxation without representation , Kentucky !.
Man , I bought one of those 1/2 inch drive Milwaukee impact guns two years ago and it's 18volt power leaves my ingersol rand air gun deals in the dust !!!. With the 5.0 batteries it's the shiznit !!!. I can do all kinds of awesome with the Milwaukee fuel 1/4 inch drive impactors too with tap sockets and the right tap bits. DeWalt batteries just don't hold up in comparison to Milwaukee. Bosch even less so.
So much change so fast in wrenching.

1) Culture builds upon the past
2) The past always tries to control the future.
3) Our future is becoming less free
4) To build free societies you must limit control of the past.

All hail lord IMPOTUS and Darth Biden All hail.
gew98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 06:51   #40
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Still attend 2 local shows and rent tables at both.
I'm the guy selling his own extras and overflow.

One show is relaxed small town and I invite my dad to work the table with me.
The other is more hectic in a bigger town which I work with a shooting buddy or two.
Both of these have really wide isles and are comfortable to amble around and look.
I talk with all the old guys, several of which have left *the green side* in recent years.
Reminds me of the temporary nature of my physical existence.

I still dig around the tables and usually find something useful.
Last show was an 8lb jug of AA2520 for $25 that nobody seemed interested in...I tried to resist but couldn't.
When I paid him, he then proceeded to give me 2lbs of Bullseye and 1lb of RedDot along with it.
Now how can a guy resist that!?

Bottom line: Most of my buying and selling is done online nowadays, but gunshows are still enjoyable in small doses for selling, mainly.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 09:51   #41
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
I've owned two-or-more of every "tough-guy-toy" a fella could ever want.

I quit collecting tough-guy-toys when I realized that owning tough-guy-toys didn't necessarily make me a tough guy. I further realized I had so many of those things, that I didn't have time to use even half of them while I pretended to be a tough guy.

Not much point in keeping going to the tough guy show and buying shit I won't use.

I sold a bunch of that stuff and bought some cars and car parts. I'm not sure what its called. I just know the sound it makes when I push my foot down. If I break it, all the better gives me more things to actually do with it. Its as much fun putting it back together as it breaking it.

I'm amazed at how far the battery-powered wrenches have come. If you EVER turn wrenches on a car - especially if you do any work on suspension - you GOTTA get a Milwaukee M18 half-inch-drive gun. Oh. My. God.

The project doesn't have to be cool or fast - but it helps. Really just needs to keep my mind occupied with a foward objective. My mind turns to Jello when I walk into gun shows or gun stores these days.

I'm not buying any more of that stuff. I've still got 5x more than I can use.
I for damn sure aint gonna "collect" it for the sake of being conservator of it for somebody else. No disrespect for the special folks who live for that role of ownership. Not for me though. I'm the "keep your foot in it until it breaks" kind of guy.
I had a lull for a few years being single and then getting married. During the the lull bought the guns and ammo that I had always wanted. Now my tough guy toys are a tractor, implements and chainsaws. Pick up is next.

Down the road maybe would like to get an M14 just to see how accurate they are, but it's a can of worms as to what is an acceptable build that will hold it's value. I don't have the money to trade up and around anymore like when I was buying FALs. So looking around for one at a gun show would be a crap shoot.

I have pneumatic tools that I've held on to for 35 years and use once in awhile. Problem with battery stuff is eventually they get thrown out when the batteries die because the replacements cost as much as a new tool.

Old December 18, 2017, 14:19   #42
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Don't go nearly as often as I used to for most of the reasons stated above, but it does make for a nice day of exercise for my fat azz, and I rack up 5-6k steps on the Fitbit when I go.

For the deals though I will venture out of town to the tiny local shows where the dealer don't roam. Went to one a few weeks ago, picked up some GREAT ammo deals... 3 boxes of the Federal American Eagle M1a ammo for $30, couple of boxes of 10mm for $35, couple hundred pieces of 10mm brass for $5. Came out happy as a clam.

I've gotten to where I'll plan an hr or 2 when taking a weekend road trip, and do it in the direction of Podunksville VFW hall where the local show will be. Often works out pretty well.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 15:14   #43
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
Best deals are in the parking lot most times. Unless you like beef jerky and ammo key chains.
Raggedwhole! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 18:35   #44
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
I am probably just old and confused, but for some reason I do not get the connection between what someone owns and their "toughness", real or perceived.

With that said, I started on collecting the firearms I have now back when FAL kits were cheap and to be very honest, building the weapons with my own hands had a great appeal.

Over time, that evolved into picking up other interesting firearms along the way, few to none came from big box or large sporting goods chain stores, most came from gun shows, small gun shops, or other similar sources.

From early 2009 to just this year I purchased zero firearms and by the end of 2009 had enough ammo stored to avoid the need of any additional purchases.

Now in 2017, the climate has moved to a less insane state, and while helping my son look for his first pistol, as I already said in an earlier reply gun shows in my area had become "very different", not many guns, but lots of other stuff.

Last edited by flejl; December 18, 2017 at 19:12.
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 22:00   #45
Arby
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
I still make gun shows when I have the time. I don't expect much, so I am never really disappointed. I rarely buy anymore, or just buy minor items like parts, tools, cleaning implements, and the like. I sometimes run into old friends at the shows, which makes the time and nominal fee spent to get in well worth it. I run into a lot of buffoons that act like their wares are priceless, but I also run into people that really know a hell of a lot more than I do (or ever will) about some of the firearms I like/own, and/or about which I have questions. Some of these folks are happy to share their knowledge.

Although there are a lot of overpriced guns at the shows, every now and then there is some screaming deal that, once purchased, makes all the years of entrance fees seem like chickenfeed .

I still like going to shows when I can.
Arby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 22:34   #46
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
One in three years and local venue is less than 100 yards from my office. Back in summer friend called to say he saw one of those funny FNL's you like so much. Hopped over fence at rear loading dock, walked down to door, paid like ten bucks to find a frankenfal, guy said assembled just a few days ago. Asked how it grouped and said didn't shoot it but all his builds worked. Couldn't find more than two parts on it needed for any of my builds.

Lots of AR's on Anderson lowers with lots of tacticool bling priced three times value. Plenty of T-Shirts, reloading components at 50% over value, tons of prepper trash, some night vision at double value and so on. Walked back down sidewalk, climbed fence and in back door of shop. Called friend and said next time text picture when saw one of those FNL's while looking at gun so I could ask questions before taking $10 bill out of my pocket and wasting an hour of my time.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 02:49   #47
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
Here's my two cents. IMHO young guys should pay heed, and I'm surprised at the attitudes of the older crowd.

No doubt gunshows have changed. Putting aside the dreamcatchers and jerky, clearly there's an increase of AR15 type "junk" which is obtainable on Amazon. And, the old reliable surplus (which you old folks will remember as always being there) such as Mausers and Garand bayonets has- surprise! dried up as new collectors came in and prices went up. Likewise FAL stuff- it didn't go to the incinerator, it dissipated into collections.

Exhibitors are comprised largely of three types- old gents who've collected a long time, new guys selling generic NIB cheap guns, and scroungers who sell whatever junk they come across in estate sales, barns, and retiring gunshops.

New cheap gun guys are making a living off young kids with little money. Pass them by and let them do their thing.

Scroungers are where the real steals are. God knows where they get this stuff. They have maybe a 10% product turnover every year, so if you want to see what's new you have to dig through the same old crap at every show. But this is where the rarities show up at low prices. For example, my two Type B bayonets ($325 and $100), a Force Publique GL for $20 (has Falcon or EX1 seen one?), and unusual Garand, Carbine, and 1917/1919 parts. If you get lucky (and I do) you can find stuff that you won't find on GB or Ebay and you'll pay next to nothing for it.

The old crotchety guys are the ones that bring the same Garands, G43s, and the like to every show. This is, after all, a SHOW, not a sale. Heck, they get to handle their collection more than you do yours. Prices are high because they're financially secure and don't have to sell.

These old guys are the ones you want to know well. They have a close knit community. The best stuff changes hands before the doors open. Newsflash, this happens on FAL Files too- the best stuff changes hands off-board...and often without an exchange of cash. You wouldn't believe the stuff that changes hands on the 1919 forum with no cash moving...I'm taking four or five thousand dollar transactions, either kept in some memory bank or PIF. Same with Knob Creek- I've seen five grand in parts move with a promise to pay two grand some time in the future.

But these old guys...they're sitting on loads of stuff, not just what they bring to the show. Stuff that's not worth dragging out to the show. Stuff that if you know them and mention you need a part, they'll bring it to the next show and you darned well might get it for free. The price on the label is for Johnny Nobody...my price is a lot lower.

And "God forbid" you do something for the inner circle. I was GIVEN a museum quality semi 1919a4. My buddy was recently GIVEN a Postal Meter carbine. The guy who got a registered MP44 for $6k because the seller- who knew the value- liked him. I could go on for pages.

The old guys also know who has what. They might not have what you want, but they know who does.

My recommendation is to start exhibiting at shows. Or at least spend all day, both days, there walking around talking to vendors. Don't expect anything on day one...you need to prove your worthiness to be adopted into the circle. It takes time- a couple years even. But the payoff is well worth it.
95% Of this Asshats...

Some further things:

We don't do many shows anymore mostly because of children posting in this thread who seem to expect that we should be selling our goods for less than what they may have been able to pick it up for a decade back.
Did a show over the weekend, ran into a few faggots with this mental state
Had a few internet Queers who were put off over my price on Soviet bakalite AKM mags a $65 a pop, one shitbird WHINED over them being $40 bucks a few years ago. Told him Fuk Off & walked away.

Here is how it works idiots
We drive SIX hours to do a damn show
We pay $40+ a damn table
then there is motels & meals

That's all off the top before you start to make ANY profit

So figure you are already $500+ in the hole, likely more before your first sale.

Internet fools begrudge anyone even a slight markup, nope they seem to think the deserve everything well under cost. I will nearly spit in your collective faces faggots.
I'm real easy to deal with but when you sissies pull out the damn Stupid phone as your substitute brain I'm done with your ass. You are just another Web based moron. No time for your type.
I mean why are you even at a show ?

We run 4 to 8 tables of mostly parts
twice over the weekend I had young asshats try to tell me they could buy G1 kits easily for under $200.00
Yeah right
all while they fingerbanged the hand held silicon brain in a vain attempt to keep up with me.
I'm hardly any expert but I have a nose for shit, this whole thread reeks of it.

Sold all he Soviet Bakalites we brought, Web faggots offered $30.00, well NO. I'm not some damn charity operation for dumb assed web kidz.

Yes there are plenty of Vendor tards too
something to register in your thick ass heads is prices differ vendor to vendor and vendor to public. Say an item is tagged at $1650, you might get it for $1500 but if I am interested it's often $1100 or less and it's been that way since at least the 70s. Most of you are on the wrong side of the tables.
Sorry you special little snowflakes, that's the truth of that industry

btw, same goes on with collectors cars or the Vespas a few homos here use to chase children in Missouri and Arkansas
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 08:12   #48
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
I've stopped going to the local "open to the public" gun shows for the reasons stated above; plus too much jerky is bad for my diet.

OTOH, I have been a member of the Ohio Gun Collectors Association for several years. OGCA is, I believe, the largest collector club in the country, and their shows are light years ahead of the public offerings. If your area has a members only collector club, it might be worth your time and energy to join.

One of my favorite aspects of OGCA is the large number of authors of gun history who are members. Want to know something about Astras, Marlin lever guns, Thompsons? There is the guy who literally wrote the book on that particular firearm, at a table two rows over.
Old December 30, 2017, 16:43   #49
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
This show? I'd go to.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 16:58   #50
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
[...] or the Vespas a few homos here use to chase children in Missouri and Arkansas
That is an image I did not need to have etched in my mind...
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote