Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 15, 2017, 12:12   #1
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
SUggestions on a MC

Have a stepson who is 15. In Texas you can get a motorcycle license and drive at 15 for bikes that are 250 cc and under. He needs to ride into the little town about 12 miles away and the highway is 65 MPH, so it does need a little speed. Trying to keep the price low, as in below $2K.

I rode for a couple of decades and lost interest but still keep my endorsement. Only bike I want is an XR 750 but it going to happen at the prices they are now days

Any suggestions? TIA

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 17:21   #2
snowhawk jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 14239
there are a bunch of bikes that fit the bill, north of $2k. Without going exotic or vintage, Kawasakis klr250 or klx250 will nail it.
Old December 23, 2017, 18:32   #3
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
I'd wait a year until he is 16 and buy him a decent car. The roads aren't like they were 20-30 years ago when we rode and I would hate to see something happen to the kid when a distracted driver (i.e. coffee crazed soccer mom texting while piloting her giant SUV on her way to the gym) picks him off without knowing she hit him.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 18:34   #4
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Tell him to ride scared. That advice came in a flyer with my motorcycle insurance bill years ago. Good advice then, and even better advice today. I started riding at 12 and have had five bikes so far. I got rid of the last one, a '75 HD FLH/Superglide hybrid, because my son was getting older and I didn't want him to grow up around motors and naturally want one too. I just loved him too damned much.

It was a reasonable fear too as he developed a hobby of wrecking cars and trucks and harvesting tickets when he got a driver's license. He's admitted it too now that he's a grown man. That said, if he wants to ride and you feel okay with it, a nice 250 should be good enough for his needs now. I guess he'd need to wait for another year to drive a car?

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 13:15   #5
snowhawk jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 14239
All good advice to a novice rider.

The key is learning from a good instructor: how to balance for control, how to stop and swerve in tight situations. This keeps the bike on its tires, instead of the old "had to lay 'er down" BS that heavy bike riders report, when things get dicey. Giving up to momentum is not in the best interests of any bike rider.
Old December 27, 2017, 13:29   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Tell him to ride scared. That advice came in a flyer with my motorcycle insurance bill years ago. Good advice then, and even better advice today. I started riding at 12 and have had five bikes so far. I got rid of the last one, a '75 HD FLH/Superglide hybrid, because my son was getting older and I didn't want him to grow up around motors and naturally want one too. I just loved him too damned much.

It was a reasonable fear too as he developed a hobby of wrecking cars and trucks and harvesting tickets when he got a driver's license. He's admitted it too now that he's a grown man. That said, if he wants to ride and you feel okay with it, a nice 250 should be good enough for his needs now. I guess he'd need to wait for another year to drive a car?
16 is the age and he's 10 months away. I'm trying to man him up. He wants to hang out with friends and such, but living a little out in the sticks, it's hard for him to do anything. He sits in his room screwing with a phone a video games. I forgot to mention...

da ta da ta...

he can't ride a bicycle. His father never tried to make him self sufficient. Shit my mother banned me from my bike for a week after a series of bad ass spills over the course of a couple of weeks so the scabs on top of the scabs would heal.

Old December 27, 2017, 13:45   #7
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post

he can't ride a bicycle.
Yes. Uh oh. That should come first shouldn't it? Maybe a crash course in pedaling a bicycle and then consider putting him on two wheels. Ya got any stumps that need digging out? That would give him something to do.

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 13:50   #8
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
My kids all got their first off-road MC at age 8. None were allowed a road bike however until they were 18 and they bought their own. That was all a decade plus ago with fewer distracted drivers. I would strongly recommend against the path suggested in the OP.
Old December 27, 2017, 13:55   #9
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Yes. Uh oh. That should come first shouldn't it? Maybe a crash course in pedaling a bicycle and then consider putting him on two wheels. Ya got any stumps that need digging out? That would give him something to do.
I had him run a chain saw for a little bit one day. God help the fugger. Trying to get him to hold the saw off to the right side to keep the saw clear of his body was like trying to teach a frog not to bump his ass.

He's about my size now with a size 12 shoe. Both of his parents are mid 5 ft tall. He has very little coordination that generally comes from playing sports and such.

Old December 27, 2017, 14:16   #10
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I rode bikes in high school, lucky to be alive. Still ride a bike and realize luck has a great deal with living on the road. I think if I had a son I would have started him off road then buy him a road bike. Learning to handle one real good keeps you alive.

Good friend I road with had his leg hooked by the back bumper of a Chevy blazer and it took the leg off. Ed was a school champion in gymnastics with a great future ahead of him but turned into a drunk after his bike wreck. Bike riding is very unforgiving, that's one of the reasons to ride.
Old December 27, 2017, 14:30   #11
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Back in '67, I built my first MC, a 1949 based, 61" Panhead Chopper.

It had a short rake knuckle frame, that I cut and welded to take the Pan.

I scrounged the parts to make it all work. Man was I fascinated the first few times I kicked her over, and she finally caught, and ran smooth. Scared the damn cows in the barn during milking!!

Ten mile rides were about the limit of where I wanted to go on it, and how far.
Finally sold it years later to buy the wallboard to finish the inside of my house.

Taught me all the dangers, and about reliability.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 14:39   #12
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
16 is the age and he's 10 months away. I'm trying to man him up. He wants to hang out with friends and such, but living a little out in the sticks, it's hard for him to do anything. He sits in his room screwing with a phone a video games. I forgot to mention...

da ta da ta...

he can't ride a bicycle. His father never tried to make him self sufficient. Shit my mother banned me from my bike for a week after a series of bad ass spills over the course of a couple of weeks so the scabs on top of the scabs would heal.
If the young man can't ride a bicycle, he must not want to learn how to. Even if his father neglected to teach him, he should've had some friends who would have taught him.

Frankly, if he can ride a bicycle or a run a chainsaw, I'd be afraid of what he'd do on the highway on a 250cc bike. I'd buy him a bicycle first and tell him to go outside and visit his friends.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 18:07   #13
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
Before you let him set out on a motorcycle put him in a big truck for about a year and if he still wants a bike after driving with all the dopes on the road after that he should have all the necessary life skills to negotiate around all the 4 wheelers by then.

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 01:00   #14
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Quote:

da ta da ta...

I think I understand now....you want to get rid of him right?

Because putting him on a motorcycle...on a highway...... is going to do it ...probably.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 07:53   #15
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Be his step dad and teach him the shit you're mentioning as his shortcomings here.
kfranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 08:36   #16
TXMoose
Registered

FALaholic #: 73164
Sign him up for the mandatory basic riders course. They supply the bike & the kid needs basic gear as well as beginbers per it from DPS. If he passes and is still intrested them start looking for a good starter bike like a EX500. Nothing new since it will get dropped and to keep insurance low.

Since he is under 18 he will have to do a practical test at DPS as well & then sign him up for an intermediate course.Some of the best riding is at your doorstep in the Hill Country
TXMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 08:43   #17
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
This is going to sound like i'm an asshole. I assure you it is only a part time thing with me.

Make sure he signs up as an organ donor on his license.

Young, dumb male motorcycle riders( and drivers), that are pronounced 'brain dead' are one of the best sources of replacement organs for people.

Somebody, somewhere, is on a list waiting for his young healthy heart or liver.

Is that brutally honest enough?

Make him way and put him in a pickup truck.

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 09:02   #18
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
I think I understand now....you want to get rid of him right?

Because putting him on a motorcycle...on a highway...... is going to do it ...probably.
We live in a fairly small town 43. The population of the entire county is less than Conroe. The highway is not that busy heading into town

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMoose View Post
Sign him up for the mandatory basic riders course. They supply the bike & the kid needs basic gear as well as beginbers per it from DPS. If he passes and is still intrested them start looking for a good starter bike like a EX500. Nothing new since it will get dropped and to keep insurance low.

Since he is under 18 he will have to do a practical test at DPS as well & then sign him up for an intermediate course.Some of the best riding is at your doorstep in the Hill Country
The course sounds like an idea. He is limited to 250 ccs which is fine.

I'm just pondering things to get him out in the world. Nothing set in stone. Just tossing around ideas. Thought a small displacement bike would give him something to do in being mechanical and such.

Probably just find a mountain bike and at least increase his mobility.

Old December 28, 2017, 10:54   #19
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
the suzuki GZ250 is like a baby harley. it can do 65 top ended with a 200 pound rider, and gets 70 MPG no matter how fast you run it. it is used in rider training programs because it is very stable and easily maneuvered. the steering is fabulous, especially at low speed. it's a great bike for a novice.it is very quiet, so a noisy pipeshould be added to deal with mini-van bitches.

If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesnít appeal to you, youíre a frikkin' pansy. Also, youíre probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 11:55   #20
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Regardless of the local population size and density, get the kid a dirt bike for off road and a car for on-the-road. Cars and bikes don't mix; if they do, he won't be the winner.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 14:13   #21
gunshack
Off Script
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17916
Quote:
he can't ride a bicycle.
Bad idea. Motorcycles are not forgiving, and a lack of experience on two wheels is adding a tremendous amount of risk to already risky exercise. I still ride, and I love it. Not trying to discourage you from motorcycles, but safety first!
gunshack is online now   Reply With Quote