The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old December 12, 2017, 02:42   #1
swiss_bob
Registered

FALaholic #: 79957
Location: Interest in FALs especially FALO and L1A1 (this was the first rifle I ever slept with, and I shall always remember her, Clarissa, wherever the British government sold her...)
The opposite question?

Hi All

This is the opposite question, how to make a full auto non full auto? We have a rather beautiful ex Luxembourg FN FALO in all her working glory, problem is that shooting full auto here for the most part is somewhat frowned upon. I would like a way to make it so that this cannot happen by accident, but is easy to change back should the opportunity to let her really sing arise?

The easiest solution that I can see would be to fit an L1A1 fire selector switch, does anyone know if this will fit a metric FAL?

Does anyone have another solution equally easily implemented?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Supporting a friend, please check this website out, run by a gentleman who knows L1A1's, Lee Enfields, Brownings, and Webleys inside out! Ships worlwide.
https://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/
swiss_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2017, 05:39   #2
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
There's the semi-auto only selector with the beak that an be used (preventing it from being rotated into the auto position), and I believe also a semi-auto only trigger plunger which prevents the trigger from being pulled back enough to permit full auto fire even with the selector in the auto position. This, plus the removal of the safety sear and spring, were what was done initially to make FALs semi-auto, such as with the G Series imported to the U.S., although if the above two things are done I don't think that the safety sear needs to go (ideally, it should remain in the gun, as it serves a useful function even in semi-auto). With the above, nothing permanent is done. Parts are swapped, and that's it.
bigstick61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 08:31   #3
swiss_bob
Registered

Location: Interest in FALs especially FALO and L1A1 (this was the first rifle I ever slept with, and I shall always remember her, Clarissa, wherever the British government sold her...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
There's the semi-auto only selector with the beak that an be used (preventing it from being rotated into the auto position), and I believe also a semi-auto only trigger plunger which prevents the trigger from being pulled back enough to permit full auto fire even with the selector in the auto position. This, plus the removal of the safety sear and spring, were what was done initially to make FALs semi-auto, such as with the G Series imported to the U.S., although if the above two things are done I don't think that the safety sear needs to go (ideally, it should remain in the gun, as it serves a useful function even in semi-auto). With the above, nothing permanent is done. Parts are swapped, and that's it.
Thanks, I did not realise (DOH!) that there was a metric single shot only change over switch. This is probably all I will change, it is only to stop it being accidentally put in full auto at our local range, but there is a possibility of a full auto shoot in the future...

Does anyone know where I might find one of these, preferably from someone who is willing to post to Switzerland?

Thanks

Bob
Old December 22, 2017, 09:38   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
DSA has them, part # USO76B according to my older catalog. I have used this Selector and had no problem with it, but I seem to remember Gunplumber saying he had to modify some to work properly.

I couldn't find any info about DSA's International shipping policy.
Old December 22, 2017, 09:51   #5
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
You can do this yourself with the existing selector.

The FAL Selector has 3 positions:
1) The so-called "safe" [S] position of the selector where the tail end of the trigger directly contacts the selector shaft. In this location of the shaft there is NO clearance notch, so the trigger cannot depress.
2) "Fire" or semiautomatic-fire [R] position is a medium-deep notch which allows the trigger to be depressed just enough to trip the sear off the hammer; however, the sear and trigger are still "close enough" for the rebounding hammer to catch the sear and "reset" in a cocked position again.
3) "Auto" [A] position is a full-depth notch which allows the trigger to depress so much that while it trips the sear off the hammer, it now moves "far enough away" to hold the sear clear of the hammer... now the rebounding hammer is free to slap forward after recoil. The safety sear or secondary sear would catch the hammer and release it as the bolt-carrier comes forward.

You can modify the selector using JB Weld or LocTite Weld to make it semiautomatic-only in one of two ways (I recommend option 2):
1) You can fill the "auto" notch in the selector PARTIALLY with JB Weld or LocTite Weld to make it a second "fire" position.
2) You can fill the "auto" notch in the selector FULLY with JB Weld or LocTite Weld to make it a second "safe" position.

How to do this:
1) Remove the lower receiver and move the selector to the A position and observe which notch on the selector engages the rear of the trigger.
2) Remove the selector and remove any oils on the shaft by using Acetone.
3) Put JB Weld or LocTite Weld in the Auto notch (the deeper of the two notches in case you forgot which one is Auto).
4) Allow the epoxy to set and then file to shape. You can also file the depth of the notch if you are trying to make it another Fire position.

This is a semi-permanent fix, in that should you ever want to remove the epoxy you can just file it out.

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
4markk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 11:04   #6
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
What a wonderful problem to be dealing with. We can only dream of such for the most part.
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 18:58   #7
FOBColorado
Registered

FALaholic #: 77015
Some sort of humlebrag.

I can only flick mine over to FA and dream.
FOBColorado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 19:02   #8
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Why not fill the gap in the grip so the lever cannot rotate to the fun position? Cheap cheap.
Old December 22, 2017, 19:46   #9
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
weld a beak on your current selector
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 19:50   #10
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Why not fill the gap in the grip so the lever cannot rotate to the fun position? Cheap cheap.
That works, obviously, and the WolfsburgBob PG was made that way. Now unfortunately quite hard to find.

I personally would go with 4markks solution, - get a spare selector for the mod, then all that is necessary is to switch out the selectors when going for an FA funday. Easier than swapping PGs.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 21:09   #11
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
DSA semi selector here:

https://www.dsarms.com/p-11582-dsa-f...or-switch.aspx

$30. Only goes to semi, eliminates confusion for the uneducated.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 07:16   #12
paco
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 19226
DONT weld or alter anything you can't reset to original condition.
Just change the fire selector with a semi.

Your value will drop seriously if you can't put it back in original condition.

Collector can own'm in full auto, they are willing to pay for it if not altered.

Meanwhile, shoot some

paco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 08:16   #13
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
DSA semi selector here:

https://www.dsarms.com/p-11582-dsa-f...or-switch.aspx

$30. Only goes to semi, eliminates confusion for the uneducated.
This is really the optimum solution.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 06:11   #14
swiss_bob
Registered

Quote:
What a wonderful problem to be dealing with. We can only dream of such for the most part.
Thanks! This made me laugh - So often when I was still in the UK i cast a very envious eye over the Atlantic to your gun laws... Now I am very happy to live in a country that trusts its' citizens...

Thank you all for your responses, you have confirmed my initial thought that I needed a new selector switch. @Paco, or any other european contributer, do you know of any european suppliers who hold these kinds of parts?

Merry Xmas one and all!

Bob
Old December 28, 2017, 18:38   #15
paco
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_bob View Post
Thanks! This made me laugh - So often when I was still in the UK i cast a very envious eye over the Atlantic to your gun laws... Now I am very happy to live in a country that trusts its' citizens...

Thank you all for your responses, you have confirmed my initial thought that I needed a new selector switch. @Paco, or any other european contributer, do you know of any european suppliers who hold these kinds of parts?

Merry Xmas one and all!

Bob

hmm, nope, sorry
Old December 29, 2017, 07:19   #16
paco
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Message from Bruce Malingue, the author of this book:https://www.unitheque.com/Livre/crep....1-110518.html

Semi-auto lever on Lux FAL is specific, the standard belgian semi lever doesn't fit because "A", "S" & "R" positions are differently located.
Please find pics on attachment :
- Lux semi-auto lever, which cannot rotate to the "A" position. The letter "A" is not marked on the knob
- Israeli full-auto lever (this rifle is a demilitarized one, as full-auto weapons are forbidden here). Location of "A", "S" & "R" are ithe same

Best regards.
Bruce
Old December 29, 2017, 09:40   #17
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
OP, my suggestion would be a spare Pistol Grip modified to block the Selector. A threaded screw with the head cut off after being located in the proper position should do it.
The original Pistol Grip could be installed for Show and Go.
Old December 29, 2017, 10:29   #18
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
OP, my suggestion would be a spare Pistol Grip modified to block the Selector. A threaded screw with the head cut off after being located in the proper position should do it.
The original Pistol Grip could be installed for Show and Go.
Won't work on a LUX. All the way down is Semi.

Options are:
1) An Israeli Semi-Only Selector
2) A Semi-Only Trigger Plunger
3) My suggestion in Post #5 (going to be your fastest)

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
Old December 29, 2017, 18:31   #19
paco
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4markk View Post
Won't work on a LUX. All the way down is Semi.

Options are:
1) An Israeli Semi-Only Selector
2) A Semi-Only Trigger Plunger
3) My suggestion in Post #5 (going to be your fastest)
Number3 is perhaps indeed the cheapest way. Add removable stuff in the selector till it can't fire FA
Old January 01, 2018, 08:40   #20
swiss_bob
Registered

Hi Paco

Thanks for posting on behalf of Bruce, and please thank Bruce for contributing.

I am not sure I fully understand what is being said here, the Israeli FAL is the standard setup? So what I need ideally is a selector switch like the one pictured, is this not common? The positions also seem to be the same as the L1A1, would an L1A1 selector fit?

Do you know of any European suppliers of these kinds of parts, my searches are not pulling back much useful?

Some pictures of our FALO selector switch

Thanks

Bob

Last edited by swiss_bob; January 01, 2018 at 08:58.
Old January 01, 2018, 09:48   #21
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

No, the early selector we refer to as the Izzy (or Israeli) selector is not the standard selector. Here is the Izzy:

You have to fill in the FA Cutout with LocTite Weld as indicated here:

Or you can get a Semi-Only Izzy Selector:

That one is for sale by a member here, Larry. You could email him through the auction and ask if he'd be willing to ship that part to Switzerland.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/734611108
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Izzy Selector - FA -2.jpg (65.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Izzy Selector - FA -1a.jpg (146.7 KB, 28 views)