The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Glock Files

Notices

Old December 09, 2017, 20:26   #1
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Picked up a G26 at the Gunshow today

I had a G27 years ago I carried some. I shot it well but I never really warmed to the short grip so I sold it off. Recently I bought a lightly used G34, built a Glock mag 9mm AR, and bought a G19 at the pawn shop. With all this 9mm Glock activity I could not resist a very fairly priced G26 when I walked up on it at the show. Private sale from a guy I had traded with previously so he worked with me. I am into it for $350 OTD with fiber-optic sights (I like) Pierce plug in the grip and a spare G17 mag thrown in the deal.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2017, 22:46   #2
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
nice
LYCAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2017, 07:46   #3
Timber Wolf
Registered

I have been handling my "new" G26 and remember what it was I did not like about my G27. When I grab it to draw out of my nice, well broken in horsehide Crossbreed Supertuck I have to "juggle" it a bit to get a good grip. This is due to the short grip on the 26. This is just the price to pay for such a concealable piece I guess. I hope I shoot it as well as I did the 27, although the trigger feels like 20+ pounds or something.

Old December 11, 2017, 12:50   #4
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Right on. My wife loves her G26 and shoots it very well.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2017, 21:10   #5
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
The 26 feels worlds better if the magazine is fitted with the +2 baseplate.

Reality in my experience is that by the time you are dressed suitably to conceal a Glock double-stack, you can as easily conceal a full-size Glock.

Iím not sure where folks come up with the idea that a full-size Glock is a ďbigĒ gun.
It isnít.

Here, compared to an ordinary .38 Special revolver.
The revolver is bigger than the full-size Glock.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2017, 21:15   #6
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

My 26 with the Glock-brand +2 mag bottom.

BTW, prepare for the fight of your life if you ever try to remove that Glock-brand +2.

Old December 12, 2017, 00:41   #7
Steggo
Registered

FALaholic #: 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

I’m not sure where folks come up with the idea that a full-size Glock is a “big” gun.
It isn’t.

Here, compared to an ordinary .38 Special revolver.
The revolver is bigger than the full-size Glock.
I'm thinking Muzzle to heel does not tell the whole story.

That S&W Model 10 is wide at the cylinder but thin everywhere else.

With the uncontoured slide and frame to match, the Glock is fat all over. They don't call them "Blocks" for nothin'
Steggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2017, 08:41   #8
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Its really about how much of the gun pokes below your jacket or into your ribs (OWB), or how much pokes into your thigh/groin/ass (IWB). The longer the gun, the more you get poked, or the more that gets exposed.

The Model 10 four-inch isn't a very big gun. I carried it concealed (sloppily) in DC for three years, and I'm certain not one person noticed it. The only guy who ever noticed that gun was a store clerk at Woodward and Lothrop. That day, I wore the shoulder holster, and was trying on jackets. When I took my jacket off, that's when his eyes got big.

All name-calling aside, the "full-size" Glock just isn't very big. Truth be told, I don't especially like Glock. Something about the way I hold the Glock causes me to experience light-strike misfires on occasion. It takes two hands, or never-gonna-happen contortions under stress, to bring a Glock back into the fight after a misfire. For that reason, I carry a Beretta M9 when I need something larger than a "get-off-me" gun. Despite what you read on the internet, the M9 isn't a very big gun either. And it NEVER misfires in my hand - but if it did, it has one-handed "second-strike" capability.

Old December 12, 2017, 08:51   #9
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

If you need a "get-off-me" gun, I endorse the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380.

Some folks report light-strike misfires with the Bodyguard .380. I tested several types of cheap ammo and expensive ammo. The only ammo I had issues with in the Bodyguard was GECO. I got light strikes (or hard primers?). Whatever. The Bodyguard allows second-strike without pistolero jiu-jitsu. Just stroke the trigger again, and even the GECO fires on a second whack of the firing pin.

If you get one, please practice with it in the manner that you would operate it if somebody had their hand around your throat. If you hold it like you are shooting National Match slow-fire, and you milk the trigger like an eye-dropper, I vouch for no good result. Pull the goddam trigger hard, and like you mean it. I have two of them, and both of them go-bang just great when operated like you are mad about something.

I've had 100% good luck with it when firing Hornady "Critical Defense" ammo. It penetrates eleven inches in gel-testing. 9mm, by comparison, penetrates 3 inches more.

The coolest thing about the Bodyguard, is it conceals 100% in the watch-pocket of my blue jeans. So, there it is. Always right at the top of the pocket, and oriented in exactly the way I want it. The Glock 26 is just a safe-queen novelty for me at this point. I don't foresee that I will ever carry that gun again.

Old December 12, 2017, 18:25   #10
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
I chopped the grip of a police trade G22. Already had a G23 and wasn't in to buying more mags. But I was in to a cheap $310 pistol. So I chopped it. And I dig it.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2017, 15:50   #11
Timber Wolf
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
I chopped the grip of a police trade G22. Already had a G23 and wasn't in to buying more mags. But I was in to a cheap $310 pistol. So I chopped it. And I dig it.
Dude, you do know police trade in G22 mags grow on trees these days right? But that does sound like a cool mod and the G23/19 length is just about right. I have seen/heard of guys cutting the grip on a G22 mag KelTec Sub2K to accept G23 mag and the G17 version for G19 mags. They make a G19 version but it can be rare and scarce ($$$$$) at times. I have both a Sub2K in the G22 mag and one for the G17 mag, and own a Glock 19 and 23 but only carry the larger mags for backup so see no need to chop a grip.

Old December 14, 2017, 16:58   #12
ByronF
Registered

Yeah, the G22 police gun prices are a steal. Tempted to get another but I sure don't need it. Then I'd feel like chopping it. I'll resist. I'm
Old December 25, 2017, 14:24   #13
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Hey,

What night sights are you gonna run?

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 15:40   #14
ByronF
Registered

Ameriglo I-Dot Pro for me. First time trying them, but I do think they will be simpler for me in low light. Three dots in low light it's sometimes tricky for me to know that the center dot is between other two. Maybe with more low light practice I'd be better with three dots. But stacking two dots seems simple.

Sights are a very personal decision so not something one can make a compelling argument in favor of one type vs other.
Old February 27, 2018, 11:51   #15
Timber Wolf
Registered

So, we figured out the massive trigger pull on the little 26. I was working the annual Glock Match at a local range this past weekend and took it by the Glock Armorer. For those that don't know, as part of their outreach and marketing Glock sends factory armorers to work the Glock Matches. I have taken advantage of this in the past but they did me a real solid this past weekend on the 26.

I handed it to the fellow and told him it had the trigger pull from hell. He checked the chamber and pulled the trigger a couple of times and agreed the pull was tough. Upon opening the pistol up he laughed and pointed at some orange parts, "New York 2" he announced with a grin. Dang, no wonder the pull was so bad. He changed out the New York stuff, and I think every other spring and a lot of other parts in the gun and handed it back to me (free of charge). I thanked him and promptly went out and slew some steel plates. Me likee.

Old February 28, 2018, 07:17   #16
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Well,

Just picked up a G-26 Gen 4 Blue box for $460. Did the normal, replaced the sights with XS big dots, put in a new all metal recoil spring and rod, put in a ghost edge disconnector, and the extended take down, mag release, and slide release. So about another $180. Getting glocks right is always an expensive endeavor.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Old March 01, 2018, 00:19   #17
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Well,

Just picked up a G-26 Gen 4 Blue box for $460. Did the normal, replaced the sights with XS big dots, put in a new all metal recoil spring and rod, put in a ghost edge disconnector, and the extended take down, mag release, and slide release. So about another $180. Getting glocks right is always an expensive endeavor.

Thorack
If you say so.

In the last 6 months I've picked up several from $275 (gen 2 23's with (2) mags each) to $355 for a gen 3 17

Only thing I've ever felt the need to add to a stock Glock is night sights.
Old March 01, 2018, 06:37   #18
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Well,

Im glad your getting what you want. Mine was new in box and for me the extended controls are a must. Of course after all of the upgrades, because of work, I wont get to shoot it for a month. Looking at a Crimson Trace laser as well.

Thorack

Old March 30, 2018, 06:41   #19
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
i have carried a g27 for over a decade, all stock except for the front sight which i replaced after the elcheapo original snapped off. never let me down. pocket carried it most of the time. great combo of power, hideability, durability. my daughter carries it now & i sleep better. she takes the g27 & german shepard for walks now.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote