The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old December 06, 2017, 17:36   #1
Denniss3

FALaholic #: 80408
Need some help on getting pic's to ID upper

Hi I would like to have some help on ID'ing this upper, I have owned this FN STG 58 for over 30 years and have shot over 8000 rounds through it and still has a bright and shinny bore and a very good grouping. anyway I can not upload any pictures due to the fact that the smallest size I have is 4.23 mb so I have no idea of how to do this now???? Thanks for your input.

Thank you Capt D :-)

Last edited by Denniss3; December 06, 2017 at 19:03.
Denniss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 19:04   #2
Capt D
Farkin' Sneekee Bastitch
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Kindly welcome sir

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8yP5OIlfbuJ7BCrT2

Looks almost like someone took an Imbel receiver and cut Type I lightening cuts...I see no other markings other than on the right-side mag well...
COBC #66
Capt D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 19:19   #3
Denniss3

Correct, only a serial number, I picked it up in Germany when I was stationed there in the early 80's, had to be converted to bring back to the U.S. and the Austrian that did it was the one that sold it to me, he kept the FN upper but gave me the ejection block and safety shear that came out of it. Sorry for the dirty rifle but I do shoot it a lot and love it more than the M1a1 and was a lot easier to handle than the M14 before conversion now it still is a very nice shooting rifle and I am thinking of disassembly, sandblasting, refinishing and reassembling it. But other than the serial # NO markings inside or out anywhere. Didn't care until the other day when a guy offered me $1200 for it and turned it down now I got to thinking who was the maker of the Upper.

Thank you very much.
Old December 06, 2017, 19:21   #4
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
That is one interesting receiver.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 22:36   #5
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
There should be proof marks somewhere inside. Take a.pic and post them. Yeah, the machining is not factory, that's for sure.
Old December 09, 2017, 14:33   #6
Denniss3

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
There should be proof marks somewhere inside. Take a.pic and post them. Yeah, the machining is not factory, that's for sure.
No marks what so ever inside or out except the serial number on the right side of the mag housing. Only one I have ever seen on a gun, it is milled from the tool marks left on the inside. I will get some pic's and try to put them on my website and link them in. Thanks to all for there help.
Old December 09, 2017, 20:03   #7
plinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 8679
The serial number looks to be in the right spot for an Imbel. It should still have other markings if it was I would think.
plinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2017, 21:37   #8
Capt D
Farkin' Sneekee Bastitch
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker View Post
The serial number looks to be in the right spot for an Imbel. It should still have other markings if it was I would think.
It's definitely an Imbel...whomever did the re-machining on it scrubbed everything but the s/n# off, just look at the machine marks. Those dot-matrix and rolled markings on those Century imported Imbel (i.e., non-gear-logo) rcvrs are so shallow that one wouldn't need to take much material off to sanitize it...
COBC #66
Capt D is online now   Reply With Quote