FALaholic #: 20840
1 Trap, 1 Night, .... 44 Feral Hogs

https://youtu.be/QFUNXKATbJg
LYCAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 00:29   #2
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
I believe it. My old hunting buddy's dad set a big hog trap at their farm a few years ago and ran out of bullets. He'd taken his Mini 14 with him when he went to check it and only brought one 20 round magazine because it had never happened that he'd need more than that. But, he had upwards of 30 hogs in the trap and only 20 cartridges which was quite a problem to have!

Molon labe

Last edited by easttex; December 05, 2017 at 15:02.
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 01:42   #3
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
I don't really hunt, and don't do pig meat at all, so a question.

Are these pigs, wild hogs, able to be eaten/processed like other pigs?

Just curious.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 02:14   #4
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post

Just curious.
Yes thought a little gamey. Most often they're grain feed for a time prior to processing to "clean" the meat.

I always took the back strap and if the pig was big enough, the ribs and maybe a couple of hams. Anything left became sausage but you'll need to add fat because feral are typically so lean.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 03:09   #5
Texas Jaguar
Registered

FALaholic #: 6874
While doing seismic work near Tarpley, Tx I encountered a similar but much less technologically advanced hog trap. We baited it with lunch left overs and set the deadfall gate to be tripped when the bait was disturbed.

Much to our surprise we found a 200 lb. sow and 14 piglets in the trap the next day. We contacted the ranch owner about our catch and he said we could do anything we wanted to with the damn things. We gave him the sow and half of the piglets anyway. He also inquired what we had used for bait and was quite amused when we told him of the Vienna Sausages and stale bread we had used.

One of the crew had spent time helping in a HEB meat department and was assigned the butchering job. We cooked a piglet on a portable grill and the smoke from the dripping grease earned us a call from the Kerrville FD. They were pleased the Sunday House Best Western wasn't on fire and left after giving us a warning about any repeat trips they might have to make.

Upon closer inspection I observed the piglet was full of worms and other creatures I was unable to identify. I know trichinosis can be transmitted thru poorly prepared pork and it ruined my appetite completely. Others ate it with no immediately visible adverse reactions.
Texas Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 04:39   #6
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
Yes thought a little gamey. Most often they're grain feed for a time prior to processing to "clean" the meat.

I always took the back strap and if the pig was big enough, the ribs and maybe a couple of hams. Anything left became sausage but you'll need to add fat because feral are typically so lean.
Thanks Doc

Old December 05, 2017, 10:20   #7
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Various diseases of wild hogs include pseudorabies, swine brucellosis, tuberculosis, bubonic plague, tularemia, hog cholera, foot and mouth disease, and anthrax. Internal parasites include kidney worms, stomach worms, round worms and whipworms. Liver flukes and trichinosis are also found in hogs.

sounds great, don't it?

Preventing infection of roundworm Trichinella spiralis, commonly called the trichina worm:

-Cooking meat products to an internal temperature of 165 F (74 C)for a minimum of 15 seconds.
-Cooking pork to a uniform internal temperature of at least 144 F (62.2 C), per US FDA Title 9 section 318.10. It is prudent to use a margin of error to allow for variation in internal temperature and error in the thermometer.
-Freezing pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5 F (−15 C) or three days at −4 F (−20 C) kills larval worms.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesnt appeal to you, youre a frikkin' pansy. Also, youre probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 10:25   #8
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:

Just curious.
It's all in the prep. Smoke 'em and they are great. The small ones can be smoked whole and make for a great Christmas pig. Even the bigger ones can be just fine as well. Think it's more about geography. The ones I hunt are down in south Texas along the coast near Port Lavaca. It's all farming down there (which is why the cousin wants us to kill all we can) so a lot of their "feed" is fields of maize and corn. They're eating better than most domesticated types and don't get near as gamey tasting.

Went out Wednesday before TG, got a couple in the crosshairs but no joy. Thought we were going to sit over bait, brother decided to stalk instead since we found them in underbrush. 3x9 scope on an 18" AR just wasn't the best tool. Next time it's the 300BO pistol with the RDS.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 10:39   #9
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
Various diseases of wild hogs include pseudorabies, swine brucellosis, tuberculosis, bubonic plague, tularemia, hog cholera, foot and mouth disease, and anthrax. Internal parasites include kidney worms, stomach worms, round worms and whipworms. Liver flukes and trichinosis are also found in hogs.

sounds great, don't it?

Preventing infection of roundworm Trichinella spiralis, commonly called the trichina worm:

-Cooking meat products to an internal temperature of 165 F (74 C)for a minimum of 15 seconds.
-Cooking pork to a uniform internal temperature of at least 144 F (62.2 C), per US FDA Title 9 section 318.10. It is prudent to use a margin of error to allow for variation in internal temperature and error in the thermometer.
-Freezing pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5 F (−15 C) or three days at −4 F (−20 C) kills larval worms.
With all that crap, the ancient Israelites were smart to avoid them.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 10:44   #10
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I personally would not eat them if I didn't have to. Wouldn't eat the deer or anything else around here either.
Old December 05, 2017, 10:57   #11
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
I find them better then store bought pork. Even saw a couple of sows and piglets last week on my lease, although no shots were taken Shame on them if they return

Some as in very few will be bad tasting....usually a boar. A quick test is to cut a piece of fat and throw it in a frying pan....if it stinks, let the buzzards have it.
Old December 05, 2017, 11:36   #12
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
I believe it. My old hunting buddy's dad set a big hog trap at their farm a few years ago and ran out of bullets. He'd taken his Mini 14 with him when he went to check it and only brought one 20 round magazine because it had never happened that he'd need more than that. But, he had uowatds of 30 hogs in the trap and only 20 cartridges which was quite a problem to have!
How do you dispose of that many hogs?
Old December 05, 2017, 11:56   #13
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Tussell View Post
Hand grenades or mustard gas would work fairly well.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 12:31   #14
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

If you intend to eat a boar, after killing quickly emasculate and remove scent glands; what old timers use to call "wolves". I've always used this technique but others claim it will render the meat inedible if not done quickly.

Be sure to use gloves when cleaning feral pigs.
Old December 05, 2017, 13:50   #15
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
With all that crap, the ancient Israelite's were smart to avoid them.
You calling me old?

Old December 05, 2017, 15:04   #16
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Tussell View Post
More than likely I'd say he took the best 5-6 of the lot and butchered them. Then the rest likely wound up in a gully on the back of the farm to be recycled back into the land. I've seen him and his family take over 200 wild hogs a year off their place to 30 isn't really making a dent in the population.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 17:52   #17
Wil-C
Registered

FALaholic #: 17357
Quote:

Just curious.
depends on how "processed" is defined.

I got a smaller hog this summer. Pulled the backstraps, tenderloins, front & rear legs, and ribs off of it.

All of which went into stew and canned for preservation with the exception of the ribs which I did in red chili sauce, then was canned.

Any or all of those cuts can be used the same as a commercial hog meat. Stew, smoked, etc.

Those being the major portions you can use off a wild hog. Not quite as much as can be gotten from a commercial hog.
Old December 05, 2017, 17:56   #18
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I ain't eating one of them nasty fuggers. Pork ain't that expensive in the store. I'm very picky with pork. Shit my old man ate it all but the hooves and squeal. Always bringing home souse. Blech

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 18:01   #19
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I ain't eating one of them nasty fuggers. Pork ain't that expensive in the store. I'm very picky with pork. Shit my old man ate it all but the hooves and squeal. Always bringing home souse. Blech
A good headcheese is hard to beat, but hard to find.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 18:16   #20
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

I've not really been back east for near on 25 or 30 years, are these wild hogs running rampant back there now?
Having a couple hundred on a single farm is a lot of hogs or a big ass farm.

Old December 05, 2017, 18:42   #21
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
I'm old fashioned around here. Just an 8 shot Taurus .357 and a rocking chair on the back porch. Sit up late and shoot them as they charge through the yard.
Old December 05, 2017, 21:46   #22
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Quote:
I've not really been back east for near on 25 or 30 years, are these wild hogs running rampant back there now?
Having a couple hundred on a single farm is a lot of hogs or a big ass farm.
from West Virginia down to Florida there are feral hogs, some places they are a real pain in the ass to farming, some places they breed fast, some places they breed slower but Texas ...........

according to the experts in order to bring the feral hog problem under control they need to harvest 70% of the population of feral hogs in the first year, because they breed that quickly in Texas, that is a lot of makin' bacon

I would really enjoy a helicopter hunt for feral hogs in Texas, to satisfy my craving would take about 2 weeks of hunting w/ flights each day, a retrieval team for the bigger hogs and a portable butchering trailer & a good reefer to hang lots of piggy ........ we could have a pig roast every other weekend for a year and lots of bacon, ham, sausage and more
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 22:27   #23
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKodog View Post
from West Virginia down to Florida there are feral hogs, some places they are a real pain in the ass to farming, some places they breed fast, some places they breed slower but Texas ...........

according to the experts in order to bring the feral hog problem under control they need to harvest 70% of the population of feral hogs in the first year, because they breed that quickly in Texas, that is a lot of makin' bacon

I would really enjoy a helicopter hunt for feral hogs in Texas, to satisfy my craving would take about 2 weeks of hunting w/ flights each day, a retrieval team for the bigger hogs and a portable butchering trailer & a good reefer to hang lots of piggy ........ we could have a pig roast every other weekend for a year and lots of bacon, ham, sausage and more
I was just curious, went looking, it is a real ass problem back there and some of those porkers are huge.
Read the whole thing started when a bunch of Russian pigs got loose in Florida ?? then bread with domestic wild ones, making for some large nasty tempered pig hybrids.

This early summer, the hounds went nuts in the back yard, went out, and there were three javelina's attacking my dogs.
Got a clean hit at the mid shoulder of the big one with a 357 mag, thing just spun and came at me.
Took two more hits to drop it.
The others ran off.

Called a friend that hunts these things, he came over, took both of us to toss it into the bed of his truck.
He said it weighed about 150 to 165 pounds.
Damn things are hard to kill, can't imagine knocking down one of the 500 or 600 pounders.

Old December 05, 2017, 22:38   #24
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
I was just curious, went looking, it is a real ass problem back there and some of those porkers are huge.
Read the whole thing started when a bunch of Russian pigs got loose in Florida ?? then bread with domestic wild ones, making for some large nasty tempered pig hybrids.

This early summer, the hounds went nuts in the back yard, went out, and there were three javelina's attacking my dogs.
Got a clean hit at the mid shoulder of the big one with a 357 mag, thing just spun and came at me.
Took two more hits to drop it.
The others ran off.

Called a friend that hunts these things, he came over, took both of us to toss it into the bed of his truck.
He said it weighed about 150 to 165 pounds.
Damn things are hard to kill, can't imagine knocking down one of the 500 or 600 pounders.

Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old December 05, 2017, 22:58   #25
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
OK, are they really that large????
600 to 700 pounds????

Old December 05, 2017, 23:18   #26
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
OK, are they really that large????
600 to 700 pounds????
well, I have seen dressed pigs (killed, skinned, gutted & sawed down the spine) @ 275 pounds from my buddy w/ the hog barn that he got at 40 to 50 pounds and in 13 weeks ready to go ..... too big for regular processing at the automated facility he was under contract to, target weight is 230 to 250 pounds on the hoof and I have seen a few when I was about 10 to 12 years old that would have been easily 400 to 500 pounds, those were rare since they would have been so much work to slaughter

when we would help his aunt in the butcher shop you had to get the kill gun just right for the .50 cal blank to drive the rod thru the skull for a instant kill, mess up & the pig would swing its head wildly and catch the rod inside the skull & bend it, putting that unit out of use until we could rebuild it w/ a new rod, even smaller pigs can hurt you flailing around

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogzilla

Quote:
Hogzilla was a male hybrid of wild hog and domestic pig that was shot and killed by Chris Griffin in Alapaha, Georgia, United States, on June 17, 2004 on Ken Holyoak's fish farm and hunting reserve.[1] It was alleged to be 12 feet (3.7 m) long and weighed over 1,000 pounds (450 kg). It was originally widely considered a hoax.[2]
The animal's remains were exhumed in early 2005 and studied by forensic scientists for a documentary for the National Geographic Channel. In March 2005, these scientists confirmed that Hogzilla actually weighed 800 pounds (360 kg) and was between 6.9 feet (2.1 m) and 8.6 feet (2.6 m) long, diminishing the previous claim. DNA testing was performed, revealing that Hogzilla was a hybrid of wild boar and domestic pig (Hampshire breed).[2] However, compared to most wild boars and domestics, Hogzilla is still quite a large and extraordinary specimen.[3] Hogzilla's tusks measured nearly 28 inches (71 cm) and 19 inches (48 cm).
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old December 05, 2017, 23:23   #27
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

I'm staying in Arizona!!!!!!
Damn, these things are big enough to kill a fellow and then eat him.

Old December 06, 2017, 00:11   #28
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
I'm staying in Arizona!!!!!!
Damn, these things are big enough to kill a fellow and then eat him.
Most feral hogs stay below 200 pounds unless they have a excellent food supply

Tusks are the real issue, they can slice you & your dog up quick

Use the FAL & soft points to bust that heavy front shoulderblade
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old December 06, 2017, 00:32   #29
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Ones in Cali just east of San Jose up Mt Hamilton and also out at Fort Ord were good eating. Used to let you hunt on Ft Ord back in the day. Not so sure about now with all the animal rights freaks protesting hunts. Used to be able to take one or two a day 365 days a year in the 1970s and 1980s. Probably protected by some "Pig Foundation" now for all I know.
Old December 06, 2017, 03:31   #30
gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 1176
Gentlemen, having grown up on a hog farm in North Carolina, it would be a lot easier to just kill them and let them rot or bury them, or use them for more bait.
The proper terminology is for one; a pig. For more than one; hogs.

Our farrowing pens (where the sows had the babies), were all concrete floored. Then at three weeks we weened the piglets and put them in a finishing pen (we had four), until eight weeks or about 45 pounds. Only then did they go on the ground.

At sixteen weeks we would place 55-gallon drums in the pens, fill with water and Piperazine to rid them of intestinal worms. Once they'd been drinking all day, we would open the gates, let them into the alleys between the pens, and run them back and forth a couple of times. They'd crap up a storm and all those worms come out. Gross. When you see these things about 8-12 inches long writhing around, it really does a number on your desire for a pork roast.

We gave them shots of iron when they were a couple days old, had antibiotics in their food, we did as much as possible to make sure they'd grow rather than die. Our litters averaged 12-16. At one point we were in the top 10% producers in the state.

Just kill them and use them for bait. Hogs like their own, they are cannibals.

Better living through chemistry.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 03:51   #31
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
Gentlemen, having grown up on a hog farm in North Carolina, it would be a lot easier to just kill them and let them rot or bury them, or use them for more bait.
The proper terminology is for one; a pig. For more than one; hogs.

Our farrowing pens (where the sows had the babies), were all concrete floored. Then at three weeks we weened the piglets and put them in a finishing pen (we had four), until eight weeks or about 45 pounds. Only then did they go on the ground.

At sixteen weeks we would place 55-gallon drums in the pens, fill with water and Piperazine to rid them of intestinal worms. Once they'd been drinking all day, we would open the gates, let them into the alleys between the pens, and run them back and forth a couple of times. They'd crap up a storm and all those worms come out. Gross. When you see these things about 8-12 inches long writhing around, it really does a number on your desire for a pork roast.

We gave them shots of iron when they were a couple days old, had antibiotics in their food, we did as much as possible to make sure they'd grow rather than die. Our litters averaged 12-16. At one point we were in the top 10% producers in the state.

Just kill them and use them for bait. Hogs like their own, they are cannibals.
I've never eaten pork, after reading all this, I will remain that way.

Old December 06, 2017, 04:04   #32
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Sorry, never giving up bacon.

Old December 06, 2017, 09:52   #33
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Just about anything on four legs can get parasites. Some of us probably have them and don't know it. We don't have hog problems up here,too cold in the winter,I think. They need shelter. I think if a guy could trap a momma with a unch of piglets,I'd probably write off the sow,but maybe try to raise the piglets,and flush out whatever they might have with drugs.
Like gman pointed out,they are often generically referred to as "wild boars". They would really be feral swine,or feral pigs. The boar is gender specific,just like sow.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 10:21   #34
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Having been a hog farmer in a former career, I can attest to their rapid breeding. Gestation is about 115 days, give another 45 to lactation and then 15 for the sow to go back into heat, and you get approximately 2 litters per year. If memory serves, I used to average 2.07 litters per sow annually. A litter can have from 6 to 14 piglets with 10 on average, so that is 20 piglets per year produced from each breeding sow. Doesn't take long for a feral population to explode. Tusks are definitely the thing to worry about with hogs. They can slice you open like a knife. Also hogs have no qualms of returning the bacon favor on us. Knew a farmer who had a heart attack and died in the pen and the hogs ate his body, or at least a good portion of it before he was discovered.
Old December 06, 2017, 11:39   #35
KoKodog
Registered

domestic pork production has become a financial science of not just big corporations but even countries .... it is theorized that 6 out of every 10 hogs in the USA belong to the Chinese

there are serious disease issues that can wipe out every hog on a farm, thats big money w/ 2700 in one barn

when any truck making a delivery (feed or piglets) or picking up hogs gets to w/ in a quarter mile of my buddys farm the automatic sterilizer system starts spraying the wheels/tires of the truck to ensure there is no way to spread disease

most times all farms in a program/under contract are separated by about 100 miles, the 40-50 lb starter hogs my buddy finishes either comes from NY or Ohio, farrowing and weaned/starting are elsewhere, separated by distance

several years ago there was a large group of Chinese visiting our domestic pork production facilities and then just after..... a deadly disease started spreading everywhere, all hogs began shitting themselves to death, took some serious effort to combat and save the industry

all lots of delivered feed are calculated to the age of the hogs, their health ect, my buddy does not contract w/ any outfit that uses "growth enhancer" to finish hogs, if you eat that pork it will pack weight on you quickly, I do not know if it is safe to eat after a certain time frame, the biggest factor in mortality rates of hogs other than disease is the design of your building that helps keep your hogs healthy, it makes a big difference
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old December 06, 2017, 11:46   #36
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Is it safe to make jerky out of these, or must the meat be thoroughly cooked? Whats the parasite picture with feral hogs?
Old December 06, 2017, 12:23   #37
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Is it safe to make jerky out of these, or must the meat be thoroughly cooked? Whats the parasite picture with feral hogs?
domestic pork should be ok, they are medicated as they grow, health of the hogs is a serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ incentive

feral ...... I would not chance it, not just no, but hell no

Kosher Law and Reinheitsgebot are the two oldest food/purity laws in the history of man, time and science has solved "some" of the issues addressed by these laws but they are still important in many ways
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill

Last edited by KoKodog; December 06, 2017 at 12:33.
Old December 06, 2017, 13:03   #38
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
I used to do small scale pig farming. Real small, 5-7 at a time. The farmer I would buy the little ones from insisted I not go near any pig farms prior to me picking up my little pigs. 15 weeks and 600 lbs of Blue Seal Pig +Sow feed per pig they were ready to go to market. At 8 weeks I would worm them. As another poster noted, them 8-10” round worms are gross! I averaged 180 to 220 lb carcasses, gutted and shaved. It was a cheap deal until they started putting ethanol in gasoline. Within two years the price of animal feed doubled. All that corn diverted to make ethanol...
Larry
Old December 06, 2017, 13:29   #39
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Hogs are shit magnets- veritable walking microbial and protozoan horror shows. Cook that stuff thoroughly and handle the meat wearing gloves.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 14:25   #40
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Hogs are shit magnets- veritable walking microbial and protozoan horror shows. Cook that stuff thoroughly and handle the meat wearing gloves,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
while feeding it to the dogs!

Ya forgot to add the last part of the above.

Old December 06, 2017, 14:56   #41
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
They can do some damage as a group; I've seen large areas of 1/2 acre turned under overnight by small groups.

Biggest will pig I ever saw personally was a 374 lb boar taken by a hunter in my camp in the Gulf Hammock area of Florida back in the mid-70's. Had to weigh it at a local concrete plant as the ranger scale topped out at 250 lbs. Boar killed one dog and at cleaning found it had been hit multiple times with shotgun pellets that failed to bring it down. Old boys I hunted with back then would eat anything so backstrap and ham's got cubed, battered and pan fried. I remember it as being pretty strong but that was a long time ago.

The story I remember reading identified a Georgia farmer as releasing the Russan boar into the wild here which led to today's cross-breeding. Seems I read that the pig we call domestic came in with the Spanish explorers hundreds of years ago. Think the differentiator is the number of ribs in each sub-species. Haven't hunted hog in years but stories today of are a much larger, more aggressive animal that what I saw in the woods 40 years ago.
Old December 06, 2017, 15:07   #42
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
They can do some damage as a group; I've seen large areas of 1/2 acre turned under overnight by small groups.

Biggest will pig I ever saw personally was a 374 lb boar taken by a hunter in my camp in the Gulf Hammock area of Florida back in the mid-70's. Had to weigh it at a local concrete plant as the ranger scale topped out at 250 lbs. Boar killed one dog and at cleaning found it had been hit multiple times with shotgun pellets that failed to bring it down. Old boys I hunted with back then would eat anything so backstrap and ham's got cubed, battered and pan fried. I remember it as being pretty strong but that was a long time ago.

The story I remember reading identified a Georgia farmer as releasing the Russan boar into the wild here which led to today's cross-breeding. Seems I read that the pig we call domestic came in with the Spanish explorers hundreds of years ago. Think the differentiator is the number of ribs in each sub-species. Haven't hunted hog in years but stories today of are a much larger, more aggressive animal that what I saw in the woods 40 years ago.
I've been out of the country, or far west of the big muddy since 68 and just never paid much attention to these wild hogs.
They were not an issue while growing up down south, western South Carolina hill country, at least not that I remember.
Hell, when I was a kid, the deer population was nearly zero in my area, but now, folks tell me they are everywhere.

I know folks luv them their pig meat, but alas, it ain't happening with this old boy, a southerner that does not eat pork, wow!
As said before, we all got out crosses to bear.

Old December 06, 2017, 16:24   #43
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
I've been out of the country, or far west of the big muddy since 68 and just never paid much attention to these wild hogs.
They were not an issue while growing up down south, western South Carolina hill country, at least not that I remember.
Hell, when I was a kid, the deer population was nearly zero in my area, but now, folks tell me they are everywhere.

I know folks luv them their pig meat, but alas, it ain't happening with this old boy, a southerner that does not eat pork, wow!
As said before, we all got out crosses to bear.

when many areas in the south began closing textile plants in the early 70's many cotton fields were left to grow over, this made lots of cover/habitat for whitetail deer, often feral hogs stick to dense cover and many hunters will not put the effort into working for their game, coupled w/ sloppy harvesting methods lots of easy forage food is left on the ground for deer & hogs

so, decent weather + easy & lots of food + good cover/habitat + a fair % of lazy hunters = explosion of game to hunt ...... a good/bad situation
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old December 06, 2017, 19:09   #44
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
just burn em use em for bait.

coyotes , dogs, ravens would chow down around here.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 19:12   #45
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
bears & cougars would dine in style
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 09:19   #46
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Anything that eats the hog would also get its parasites,no?
Around here,Bald Eagles are carrior feeders. see them all the time out in the fields,eating on some dead thing out there. Usually good and rotten. Wonder if they get the worms?
Might be a slow death for a cougar.No,not the kind that likes diamonds.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 09:43   #47
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
those numbers are typical for a pig trap in western NSW back in the 1980s, nothing odd to get 50+ pigs in a big trap. we would shoot the bigger ones and take them to the game meat processor in town within 3 hrs of killing, always inspect liver for hydatids tapeworm cysts. good liver good meat. between 16-18 I was out on our little farm( 100 square miles) shooting rabbits, roos, foxes in winter, herding goats and trapping pigs.. all the meat went to the chiller in town and the fur buyer came through twice a week. wore out 2 Brno mod 2 and a 303.
Old December 07, 2017, 11:12   #48
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:

Use the FAL & soft points to bust that heavy front shoulderblade
Portuguese FMJ will also do well out of an FAL.

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 16:45   #49
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Portuguese FMJ will also do well out of an FAL.

yup, that works too
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old December 07, 2017, 16:51   #50
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

A little buffing, few stitches, a little heart work, minor othro, that porker will good as new!