The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 04, 2017, 20:07   #1
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
How Effective is a Long Style Flash Hider

I am considering replacing the Imbel Style "combo device" on one of my FAL builds with a long style flash suppressor.

The current device is a US made part and looks like the real "combo device" but is non functional.

My main interest is in minimizing the flash for night time shooting since I need to eliminate some pests during the dark hours from time to time. The new part is also form compliance, so must be a USA made part.

https://www.dsarms.com/p-11625-dsa-f...6x24-left.aspx
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2017, 20:32   #2
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler - Gold Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
If you want no flash signature at all, don't fire your weapon at night, or use a suppressor.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2017, 21:20   #3
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
I found the Belgian combo devices very effective.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 09:29   #4
flejl
Registered

308/223shooter,
Not enough $$$$ in the budge for the silencer and I do not get to chose when the pests show up.

moonbat60,
I appreciate the information.
Old December 05, 2017, 12:30   #5
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
According to the leftist media all flash hiders work the same. They make it completely impossible to see or detect a shooter. Much the same way a silencer makes a shooter completely silent (just make sure you buy a "silencer" and not a "suppressor" as those only reduce the sound as opposed to completely silencing). Sometimes when I am playing hide and seek with my son I just carry around a silencer and a flash hider in my hand and then I can stand in plain sight but nobody can see, hear, or otherwise detect me.
Incognito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 13:48   #6
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Based upon some unscientific tests a couple of friends and I did years ( many years ) ago, I would say the long FH is better than the combo.. The early Vortex was excellent as well, as is the Stoll, in about that order. Combo down the list a bit, but truth is, there isn't a huge amount of difference for a given load.

Basically we set up a camera ( film type, tells ya what era this was in ) with an open shutter at night and loosed off rounds through a FAL with various FHs installed. Also tried various loads.

Biggest difference was firing commercial ammo versus milsurp. No flash suppressant in commercial stuff, made a bigger difference than the FH.

Looking back, I wish we would have done more of this and had kept the pix and some sort of documentation. We just did it out of curiousity and did'nt think much
about scientific method or preserving our contribution to civilization

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 16:24   #7
flejl
Registered

J. Armstrong,
Thanks this is helpful. It's not like I am running around in the bush on a night patrol looking for "unfriendlies" to capture or something like that. But everyone once in a while I need to dispose of a "furry critter" while the sun is down or almost there.

Incognito,
You forgot using a Walmart invisible man suit or Krylon stealth paint.
Old December 05, 2017, 20:51   #8
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
I'm guessing that either will work fine as both were adopted by the purchasing countries militaries.
Old December 05, 2017, 22:12   #9
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
I'm guessing that either will work fine as both were adopted by the purchasing countries militaries.
Pretty much true.

If I had to pick an FH based upon effectiveness, weight and length, I'd probably go for the Venezuelan ( Pariah Moses made replicas some years ago. They work very well ), Vortex, shorty Stoll, maybe a shorty combo.
I like the longs for their effectiveness, but the milsurp ones can crack and bananna peel if you use them a lot ( the DSA "replicas" are probably better in this regard ), but they are longer than they need to be if this is a consideration.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 22:44   #10
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
What about something like this?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 23:35   #11
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
^^ what is that? Not from a FAL as far as I know..
Old December 06, 2017, 01:08   #12
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler - Gold Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
looks like a grenade launcher with night sight. Or, a slip on flash hider with night sight.
Found it. MAS 49/56 , no longer in stock.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Last edited by 308/223shooter; December 06, 2017 at 01:19.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2017, 15:48   #13
flejl
Registered

I am not very worried about the extra length, as I had the barrel shortened to 18" by a forum member (mosses) before I built this one.

My thought is the extra length of the long flash hider will work better to minimize the flash more from my end of the weapon, not any potential targets.
Old December 28, 2017, 16:57   #14
flejl
Registered

I have not had a chance to do much on this, but this is the FAL.

http://s350.photobucket.com/user/fle...qplbl.jpg.html
Old December 28, 2017, 18:40   #15
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I would leave the combo device on it. No risk of that banana peeling, either.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 09:01   #16
flejl
Registered

Unfortunately I built this at a time you could not get a functional combo device... it is a US made part needed to meet the required US part count.

I am going from memory, but I believe it is not the same external diameter as the actual combo device, not a big deal since I do not plan to launch any grenades...

Also the ports in the device are not drilled all the way through... it is more of a muzzle weight than anything else.
Old December 29, 2017, 09:52   #17
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I recall that many of the long flashiders on the pre-ban gums had a tendency to “banana peel” after some use. I realize this doesn’t speak to their effectiveness as flashiders but important nonetheless.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 12:19   #18
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
I recall that many of the long flashiders on the pre-ban gums had a tendency to “banana peel” after some use. I realize this doesn’t speak to their effectiveness as flashiders but important nonetheless.
If I recall correctly, either FN or one of the major FAL importers sold kits to swap out a peeled long flash hider with a combo device.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 19:28   #19
abbynormal
Registered

FALaholic #: 18513
I have a Century Hesse STG58 that the angry beavers shortened to 18".

While Hesse receivers got ass tenderized for years by the Files, mine has ALWAYS worked (except for 1 magazine, that didn't like to be the second
mag after rapid fire. In other words, when the gun heated up, this mag
didn't work. So said mag "disappeared". I've got 40+ FAL mags and that
was the only one I've ever had trouble with),

Anyway, I replaced a few parts with US parts and took the CAI noisy brake
off, threaded the barrel and installed a cut down Stohll. The FAL became instantly my favorite rifle to shoot. No more back blast, less noisy and the cool factor (at least in my mind) of the Stohll.

FYI: On a 18" barrel, you MUST have to shorten the Stohll as the threads are nearer the front of the Stohll and the flash hider is so long that the rear of the Stohll will hit the gasblock before the threads of the barrel make contact with the threads on the flash hider.
Old December 30, 2017, 00:51   #20
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
I think there are pics/videos of various flash suppressor tests.
One of the best are the Vortex and the 3 prong retro AR FH’s.

The M-14 and M-60 types were very effective also.
The long style should perform like those I would imagine.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote