Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old December 01, 2017, 12:14   #1
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Kimber, Bergara, or MRC

Looking for a light(ish) weight long action for an NM elk hunt next year. These are currently the rifles Iím interested in. I know this will be a loaded subject, so Iím only looking for experiences with these three rifles and/or similar from the same manufacturers:

- Kimber Montana 84L
- Bergara Premier Stalker
- Montana Rifle Company X2

I realize I may not get much response due to the smaller distribution of these rifles, but I bet a few of you have some trigger or fondle time with one or all of them.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2017, 13:21   #2
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
I can give you some feedback on Bergara rifles in general.

I have the LRP in 6 Creedmoor which is built on the same B-17 action as your Premier Stalker. The LRP has a #5 taper, SS barrel and 517 flat Timney trigger mounted in an XLR Industries monolithic stock. Your Stalker is a #3 taper SS barrel and uses a 510 Timney curved trigger in a proprietary carbon fiber stock.

Fit and finish on the LRP and other Bergara rifles I've handled is outstanding. Your premier series comes with a sub-MOA guarantee and a test target from your rifle. My best 5 shot group to date with Hornaday Match 108gr ELD is approaching .5 MOA at 600 yards with a 20x optic.

The B-17 action is like butter. I did extensive research on Bergara prior to purchase as I was unfamiliar with the manufacturer. As you likely know, Bergara made their name initially in custom barrels. They also manufacture barrels for other production rifle manufacturers. My understanding is that all B-17 rifles are manufactured in the US and hand assembled in Lawrenceville GA. The B-14's, I believe are all manufactured and built in Spain.

I've spoken to customer service on a number of occasions and always found them to be friendly and knowledgeable. I spoke with CSR Steve Mullinax more than once and he was more than helpful.

BPI Outdoors is the parent company of Bergara in the US. They also own other brands like CVA, DeadAir and DuraSight. Here's a link to their main page: http://bpimediaonline.com/

Bergara started their Bergara Experience tour in late 2017 with plans for more in 2018. They set up a day at a local club for interested parties to see and shoot their rifles. Maybe one will come within reach for you.

I'm on their mailing list and got this video last week showing their participation in a hunt for the Mountain Goat Project. Not a lot of rifle info here but the scenery from the hunt is awesome. The featured hunter is easy on the eyes as well. https://vimeo.com/243913257

Good Luck with your purchase.

Last edited by Eyeguy; December 01, 2017 at 13:29. Reason: content added
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2017, 15:14   #3
Fn/form
Registered

FALaholic #: 14765
Bergara has built a good reputation.

Kimber's centerfire rifle reputation has been spotty.

Have no personal or friends and family experience with Montana.

At those prices you might look into Sako or their more affordable line, Tikka.

As my name implies, I'm a Function Over Form kind of guy, love the Tikkas. Lots of stock choices out there now to customize away from the cheap factory poly stock.
Fn/form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2017, 19:35   #4
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I would second the Tikka. I have one and it is slick as a whistle. Much more accurate than I and really balanced for that shot in an unstable position. A plus is, Tikka parts and service is handled by Beretta here in the US. My experience has been great with their customer service.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2017, 20:10   #5
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Not looking for a Tikka. I know they shoot, but I want something a little fancier.

But two more I would entertain info on is the CZ 557 Manners and a FN Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS if anyone has fingered either of those.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2017, 20:20   #6
Falcon
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2049
Barrett has a bolt action called the Fieldcraft if you want something fancy.

https://barrett.net/firearms/fieldcraft/
Old December 02, 2017, 03:42   #7
Fn/form
Registered

FALaholic #: 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
Not looking for a Tikka. I know they shoot, but I want something a little fancier.

But two more I would entertain info on is the CZ 557 Manners and a FN Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS if anyone has fingered either of those.
Not a huge fan of the enclosed-body MOA trigger if that's what comes with that M70, but I believe only the SPRs still come with the traditIonal M70 trigger. I do like the true, traditional CRF as it's not one of the bastardized half breed versions they've offered.

Seekins has their new Havak, caliber offerings a bit limited but include 6.5CM, .308, 300wm and most recently announced .28 Nosler. Under 7.5lbs I think.
Fn/form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 11:08   #8
gunshack
Registered

FALaholic #: 17916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post

I sold a shitton of those FN Winchesters when I owned a shop. My brother has two, and a couple of friends bought some too. Very nice rifles, and straight shooters.

I built a rifle for a guy on a MRC mauserish receiver; I had seen them at shot show before, they are very well made. The rifle came out nice. I transferred a couple of their built rifles for the guy's cohorts later, and they were nice rifles too.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned in your original post, or the Winnie.

If you want fancy look at the Sako rifles. But then you're getting into the kind of money where a Styer looks appealing. And hell, if you're going there, you might as well look at Dakota.
gunshack is offline   Reply With Quote