The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 27, 2017, 13:52   #1
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
novx plastic bullets

an article in this month's guns and ammo shows just how disappointing G&A has become in recent years. they finally provide promotional advertisement (disguised as an article) on something new, then they fail to tell us what what we want to know.

the idea is sorta-new. plastic bullets in a case with stainless walls and aluminum base. the plastic bullets are described as a copper/polymer composite (code-word for high density plastic with just enuf powdered copper to say that they are "copper composite". there is no performance data given other than that they can be driven to 1675 fps in a 9x19 gun. no terminal in gel performance info at all.

in another source we hear that they perform somewhat like a frangible. well, duh. they are heat treated plastic(brittle). then you hear that they are environmentally friendly and light weight (65 grains in 9mm). you might as well use bismuth. what they do not say in the article is that they are gonna be 3X as expensive, and have no penetration capability at all, especially against concealment like a hollow core door or urban tactical gear (a light-weight synthetic windbreaker over a tee shirt).

thanks, but no thanks, if i want hyper velocity i have a tokarev, which was designed in 1933, and gets that velocity with 80 grain lead bullets.

having a basis in metallurgy i understand that the much touted magnetic properties of the case is purely incidental to the alloy of stainless, chosen for it's low cost, and adequate material property. what they really don't mention is how profitable it will be to sell this cheaply made junk to people used to paying for brass and lead. the advantage to reloaders is obvious. i am sure you will be able to 3D print the little bastards.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Last edited by justashooter; November 27, 2017 at 14:02.
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 17:09   #2
notfrommt
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66655
The goal in the firearms and ammunition industry is to pound down the cost of production and reduce capital overhead. Traditional casing and bullet manufacturing equipment is rare, expensive, specialized, slow, and takes a highly trained and experienced workforce. Hybrid casings and plastic projectiles "fix" this issue. Unfortunately they are depending on commercial sales to float the business while it matures; hence the hasty marketing.

I wouldn't make use of this new technology without it maturing for a few more years. I read about and see between the lines "untested", which to me makes it dangerous.
notfrommt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 17:11   #3
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Expensive practice rounds?
Old November 27, 2017, 21:06   #4
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I have some old Hirt indoor practice rounds purchased from Cheaper than Dirt a long time ago. IIRC, the projectile is black plastic with a copper half jacket and it will cycle an AR when fired. I ran some through my Chrony and saw almost 4000 FPS out of my full length A2 barrel. They packed enough punch to take down the plate rack at 20 yards. Designed to be used makeshift indoor ranges without the need for armor plate or specialized back stops. Then there is the blue plastic rounds for use in the G3 indoors. So plastic ammo has been around for a while. Make it cheap enough and most of us would buy it and save the good stuff for when it really is needed.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 21:23   #5
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
I have some old Hirt indoor practice rounds purchased from Cheaper than Dirt a long time ago. IIRC, the projectile is black plastic with a copper half jacket and it will cycle an AR when fired. I ran some through my Chrony and saw almost 4000 FPS out of my full length A2 barrel. They packed enough punch to take down the plate rack at 20 yards. Designed to be used makeshift indoor ranges without the need for armor plate or specialized back stops. Then there is the blue plastic rounds for use in the G3 indoors. So plastic ammo has been around for a while. Make it cheap enough and most of us would buy it and save the good stuff for when it really is needed.

Had about 40 rounds of this. Shot really good out to 100.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017, 10:06   #6
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
Heat treated plastic is not necessarily fragile (before you flame me I am a polymer chemist). If they break apart or not is the design of the round. Some plastics will shatter, some will not. How much copper (or other metal) you put in it versus polymer will determine the density of the round, and how heavy of a round you can make. I have seen heavily filled polymers that are 90% zinc dust by weight and still have amazing properties. I don't get the magazine, but if done properly, polymer/metal rounds could be the future. Thermoset polymers currently coat bullets, so can handle the heat of being fired. The best part is you can cast them at room temperature.

Envision this process
1) mix metal powder (waste product from other machining processes, so cheap) and resin.
2) pour into mould and let cure (seconds to minutes depending on polymer choice.

Do not discount it too quickly.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017, 15:45   #7
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017, 02:39   #8
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
In my humble experience, powdered metals are anything but 'cheap'.
More like 5x-10x or more the base metals price per pound.
Of course that changes with type, purity and sieve size, but ive yet to find any id call cheap.
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote