Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old November 23, 2017, 23:19   #1
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
The tooth

While I was outside putting tire chains on my tractor I found this next to my shop. It had fresh uncoagulated blood on it like it was broken off just minutes earlier. I am thinking a bear or cat. I need to think about situational awareness me thinks.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017, 23:36   #2
TraFALgar
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4366
"IT'S A 'SQUATCH !!!"

TraFALgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017, 23:43   #3
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2017, 00:42   #4
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978

Better put it back where you found it. It'll be gone by morning.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2017, 00:44   #5
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Maybe we could cut a deal?

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Old November 24, 2017, 02:55   #6
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Looks more like a mountain lion than a black bear.
Picture on left is a mountain lion on the right is a black bear.

http://thieroutdoors.com/black-bear-vs-mountain-lion/

Old December 03, 2017, 15:06   #7
Liberty Prime
Registered

FALaholic #: 79325
Can you hold it up to one of the brightest lights you have? Its "root" in that last picture reminds me of a claw. In fact I have a turtle claw on my key ring from a 40+ pounder snapping turtle and even the outside looks like the same substance that makes up claws and nails. I could be completely wrong, but that's my thought.

Some claws, when you hold them up against light, have the new claw deep inside. It would be interesting to see what you find.
Liberty Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2017, 16:16   #8
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Prime View Post
Can you hold it up to one of the brightest lights you have? Its "root" in that last picture reminds me of a claw. In fact I have a turtle claw on my key ring from a 40+ pounder snapping turtle and even the outside looks like the same substance that makes up claws and nails. I could be completely wrong, but that's my thought.

Some claws, when you hold them up against light, have the new claw deep inside. It would be interesting to see what you find.
This is interesting as I had a dream about “The Tooth” last night. I dreamed that I was studying it and the thought came to me that it was made of keratin like horn or hair. I have weird dreams sometimes, I guess now that I am officially an old man it is to be expected. I do some of my best thinking when I am asleep.
Something was just not right about the tooth. I have it on my dining room table and I have been studying it. After several days now in the house where it is warm and dry the tooth is getting lighter, not as heavy as it first was. The root, the bloody stump, did not look right either, teeth don’t look like this.
It finally dawned on me this is not a tooth but it is a broken spur off one of my roosters, I have four roosters. This explains where I found it out next to my shop with the chicken coop a short distance away. The chickens have free range of the yard so mystery solved. I just need to take my sorry lazy ass out in the snow and verify one of my boys is missing a spur.

“A chicken spur is actually part of the shank bone that's covered with a hard layer made of keratin; the same thing found in our fingernails and hair. Spurs are routinely found on roosters and they're used for protection and fighting.”

Well I went out and checked. Yep, one of the boys is missing a spur, the dark spot on this ones ankle. So we have verification that it is a rooster spur and not a tooth after all. Can’t really say I am disappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 73FA0C19-8DF5-4592-90CD-73887FA281FA.jpeg (22.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpeg 7DB26B2B-732C-4FA7-998F-F888898DE976.jpeg (18.3 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Sagerider; December 03, 2017 at 16:57.
Old December 07, 2017, 16:25   #9
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraFALgar View Post
"IT'S A 'SQUATCH !!!"

Wendigo.

Not winkin'.

Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2017, 08:19   #10
Liberty Prime
Registered

FALaholic #: 79325
That's pretty cool and quite a good sized spur it seems. Mystery solved. Nice place by the way.
Liberty Prime is offline   Reply With Quote