The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old November 19, 2017, 22:57   #1
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
any instances of ...

A post on FB about gas setting got me to wondering...

I've always set my gas to where it would function properly, and then ignored it. I've also never served, participated in 2 way range exercises, or even put more than 100 rounds or so in one sitting through any of the FALs I've owned over the years.

So... any documented or even anecdotal evidence of someone *needing* to adjust gas in the field?
Old November 19, 2017, 23:40   #2
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
I fielded a M-16A1, so didn't have any adjustment available. That said, the troopies using FNs, I never never thought to ask about it. I do remember the only cleaning I ever saw them do, was to pull a patch through the bore. Bloody FNs were more reliable than getting the shits from the local water.
Old November 20, 2017, 12:16   #3
Douglas Wozny
Registered

FALaholic #: 4255
When adjusting the gas regulator the manual states that after determining the setting that locks the bolt back every time the gas regulator should be closed an additional two (2) "clicks". This setting should take care of everything with the exception of VERY EXTREME situations (bad ammunition, extreme environment, poorly maintained weapon). In general there is not need the soldier to "play" with the gas adjustment under normal conditions.
Necat omnes! Deus suos agnoscet.
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.
Douglas Wozny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 15:27   #4
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Wozny View Post
When adjusting the gas regulator the manual states that after determining the setting that locks the bolt back every time the gas regulator should be closed an additional two (2) "clicks". This setting should take care of everything with the exception of VERY EXTREME situations (bad ammunition, extreme environment, poorly maintained weapon). In general there is not need the soldier to "play" with the gas adjustment under normal conditions.
I agree, no real need to "adjust" the gas once set unless an extreme situation arose.
Old November 20, 2017, 15:44   #5
tdb59
not really a gun guy
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Adjusting the regulator can be required for proper function at certain FAL matches in the S.E. United States, or so I have heard.

Matthew 5:16
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 18:46   #6
C2A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 15514
Guys in Syria had problems. They had who knows what ammo and the FAL was passed over for AKs and G3s. It is that article about FAL trafficking that shows the FAL was up in value among the rebels and then tanked. Lybia they had govt, stores they used so they had batches of good dtuff.
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 20:39   #7
klaus486
Registered

FALaholic #: 75880
So far in the many books I've read about conflicts Rhodesia, Southern Africa, and the British in various places no one has mentioned it. Not once.

I seem to recall someone stating that they always just closed the regulator so they had full gas and never worried about it...but I can't remember where I saw that.
klaus486 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 21:43   #8
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus486 View Post
So far in the many books I've read about conflicts Rhodesia, Southern Africa, and the British in various places no one has mentioned it. Not once.

I seem to recall someone stating that they always just closed the regulator so they had full gas and never worried about it...but I can't remember where I saw that.
That's what I'm wondering about - surely there must be a guy somewhere sitting on a bar stool "yeah they were coming and we'd been shooting sooo much my gun was dirty, well, I just cranked that gas valve all the way open and kept going until the muzzle break melted off!" or some BS....
Old November 21, 2017, 08:24   #9
Douglas Wozny
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnogger View Post
That's what I'm wondering about - surely there must be a guy somewhere sitting on a bar stool "yeah they were coming and we'd been shooting sooo much my gun was dirty, well, I just cranked that gas valve all the way open and kept going until the muzzle break melted off!" or some BS....
At which point you throw the BS flag and say if it was "all the way open" you just turned your select fire automatic rifle into a manual operated straight pull rifle and it would be really hard to melted the muzzle break off in that mode. Then you walk away. Back in the day we called those gut REMF's or PX Commandos.
Old November 21, 2017, 08:38   #10
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Most demill kits I got, the regulator was closed off.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2017, 12:24   #11
Clonehead
Registered

FALaholic #: 27461
I just had to adjust the gas on my STG58 a couple of days ago. Normally runs fine on 4 but there was a big drop in temperature (50 degrees to about 30) from my last trip to the range and I needed to close the gas by two clicks to run reliably.
Clonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2017, 13:23   #12
Douglas Wozny
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonehead View Post
I just had to adjust the gas on my STG58 a couple of days ago. Normally runs fine on 4 but there was a big drop in temperature (50 degrees to about 30) from my last trip to the range and I needed to close the gas by two clicks to run reliably.
Temperature has a big effect on the performance of propellants. In the field artillery the temperature of the propellant was a factor when we registered. So a drop of 20 degrees F would most likely necessitate an adjustment.