The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 19, 2017, 17:47   #1
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Traveling through North Carolina, Tennessee and Missouri with a firearm?

May have to take a short road trip from hell after the Thxgiving holiday but before Xmas to help my father and bring some things back down here. I assume its ok to take a rifle and handgun with me. Anything special I need to know about these states? Gun must be in the trunk, etc?
Old November 19, 2017, 17:51   #2
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
Missouri no problem. I run locked and loaded all the time.
Old November 19, 2017, 17:54   #3
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html
Old November 19, 2017, 19:03   #4
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
I was thinking more of the long gun.Things being the way they are in the world I feel I should have one behind the backseat as cheap insurance however unlikely I'd need it. But I don't want to go to the can for violating a state law if I get my vehicle tossed during a traffic stop.
Old November 19, 2017, 19:11   #5
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
I was thinking more of the long gun.
Gotcha. Honestly I had never really thought about long gun rules, but mostly assumed if I could legally carry a handgun, the rifle under the back seat was also acceptable. I suppose that is probably not really a good assumption and look forward to hearing more on this topic from those that do know.
Old November 19, 2017, 19:22   #6
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Just call the state police of every state that you expect to travel through and ask them.

Take notes.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 20:36   #7
bonnie
Registered

FALaholic #: 35531
North Carolina

Open carry is legal. Not visible but readily accessible is where you will have a problem.

With a concealed carry permit (pistol only) in NC you are fine . If stopped, required by law to state you have a permit and are carrying. If no carry permit, pistol must be visible in the open.

Long guns do not come under the concealed carry law. Rifle on the back seat and visible is not a legal issue. Rifle laying on the floorboard behind the front seat, particularly if not in a carry case? If not readily visible, would be construed as a concealed weapon. In the car trunk no issue (not readily accessible).

I have a NC CCW. I am armed with a pistol always. Travel to the range weekly in my pickup truck. I carry my long guns behind the seat in protective cases. No issue.

Last edited by bonnie; November 19, 2017 at 20:42.
bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 22:28   #8
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
I think this is the best application for an ar pistol. Some states have problems with loaded rifles in a vehicle. However if you're going through states where you have ccw reciprocity and you got an ar pistol you should be ok right? And not much you can do with an ar that you can't do with an ar pistol.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 23:58   #9
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Gotcha. Honestly I had never really thought about long gun rules, but mostly assumed if I could legally carry a handgun, the rifle under the back seat was also acceptable. I suppose that is probably not really a good assumption and look forward to hearing more on this topic from those that do know.
In Tennessee it is technically illegal to carry a long gun unless you are actively hunting (with a valid hunting license). The State issues a "Handgun Carry Permit", and long guns are absolutely and explicitly not included in that.

Now, getting a cop to do anything about it is another thing. I sure wouldn't worry about driving through the state with one behind my seat - but it is against the law if you want to pick nits. And after researching that law I did decide to not do my training runs on the public road in full kit with a rifle on my back (no matter how understanding my neighbors are).
Old November 20, 2017, 00:11   #10
NFADLR
curmudgeon
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7480
Having a Florida or Utah permit is handy..

Florida's reciprocity states include: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania,

And a few more, would list them but the site won't open for me at the moment.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divi...se-Reciprocity

Utah permit info.
https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firea...-other-states/
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411469
#MakeFoodGreatAgain

Last edited by NFADLR; November 20, 2017 at 00:33.
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 14:06   #11
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Just call the state police of every state that you expect to travel through and ask them.

Take notes.
And names
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 14:07   #12
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
In Tennessee it is technically illegal to carry a long gun unless you are actively hunting (with a valid hunting license). The State issues a "Handgun Carry Permit", and long guns are absolutely and explicitly not included in that.

Now, getting a cop to do anything about it is another thing. I sure wouldn't worry about driving through the state with one behind my seat - but it is against the law if you want to pick nits. And after researching that law I did decide to not do my training runs on the public road in full kit with a rifle on my back (no matter how understanding my neighbors are).
I was so pleased when Kansas passed Constitutional Carry law they did not limit it to handguns. You can now carry any firearm concealed without a permit in KS.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 15:21   #13
MordeanGrey
Registered

FALaholic #: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
I was so pleased when Kansas passed Constitutional Carry law they did not limit it to handguns. You can now carry any firearm concealed without a permit in KS.
I didn't realize this.

Everything I've seen so far seems to indicate that the term "firearm" refers to a handgun.

I've been looking at links to the actual wording but haven't had much luck.

Can you provide a link if you have one? (I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I haven't found anything that specifically states any firearm (long gun) can be concealed legally.)

Thanks!
MordeanGrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2017, 21:07   #14
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Somebody mentioned an AR pistol. Those are not allowed under the South Carolina Concealed Carry Statute.

(5) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.

You can read the criminal laws pertaining firearms here, including what is and is not allowed for transporting weapons:

http://scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2017, 11:11   #15
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64986
This is not legal advice:

Tennessee honors most, if not all, carry permits from other states. If you have a permit, you ought to be able to carry a handgun with no problems. In Tennessee, your car is now viewed the same as your house. If you are attacked while you are in your car you can defend yourself the same as if you are in your residence. You do not need a permit to defend your home in Tennessee. If you step out of your car with a handgun but without a permit, you may run into problems with the law.

I carry long guns in the trunk until I get where I'm going.

As you drive through Tennessee, do not exceed the speed limit by 10 miles/hour or more and it is highly unlikely you will be pulled over unless there's something else going on (burned out headlight, etc.) If you are driving that slowly, however, please stay in the right lane. This does not apply in bedroom suburbs such as Bartlett (NE of Memphis). If you drive 41 in a 40 the Bartlett cops may pull you over. I am told this is an effort by the Bartlett police to keep the Memphis riff-raff and ghetto zombies out of Bartlett. I would not be surprised if Franklin and Brentwood are the same way.

The libtards tend to be concentrated in the big cities: Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis. Although in Memphis, the police are stretched so thin they likely don't have time to fool with speeders. While I have not had any problems with them, the Knoxville cops are reputed to have no sense of humor whatsoever and I suspect the Nashville cops are the same. If they find you with a gun, they may not pay much attention to what the law says and you can definitely expect a hassle.

If you are driving through Nashville or Chattanooga during daylight hours (and some nights) plan to slow to a crawl on the interstate, and you may park for a while. If you are on I-40, there is a very pleasant alternate route, I-840, that bypasses Nashville altogether.

The rest of Tennessee is populated with good-ol-boys and rednecks. Be polite and chances are the cops will not give you any problems.