Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old November 19, 2017, 14:27   #1
littlehoot
Registered

FALaholic #: 11432
Iver Johnson quality

Anyone have experience with these?

I figured they are an import, probably Philippine made. I "know" they are an "entry level" gun, which is to say, I dunno anything about them.

Known quality issues?
Shoot ok?
Pertinent information welcome
Old November 19, 2017, 15:59   #2
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
Interesting name for a M1911 clone.....

Iver Johnson was one of the off brand gun makers located in "Gun Valley" in New England. Long gone now to the best of my knowledge. They turned out cheap hinged frame revolvers and a few .22 LR auto pistols such as the TP-22.

If this IJ M1911 is made in the P.I. then I would venture to say that it is made by Armscor. They make the Rock Island Arsenal M1911. Probably the same piece with the IJ name.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 16:16   #3
littlehoot
Registered

FALaholic #: 11432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
Interesting name for a M1911 clone.....

Iver Johnson was one of the off brand gun makers located in "Gun Valley" in New England. Long gone now to the best of my knowledge. They turned out cheap hinged frame revolvers and a few .22 LR auto pistols such as the TP-22.

If this IJ M1911 is made in the P.I. then I would venture to say that it is made by Armscor. They make the Rock Island Arsenal M1911. Probably the same piece with the IJ name.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

IJ also made.fairly good quality shotguns back in the early 20th century. I have an old.champion model that's been in the family over a century
Old November 19, 2017, 17:22   #4
jdmcomp
Registered

FALaholic #: 8267
Cannot say if it is an Armscorp but I did have one of them and where it needed machining the work was quite nice, rough everywhere else. Good value for the money, cast frame and slide. I would think it is fine after a good going over to look for dirt and machine bits, breaking sharp edges and smoothing up a bit. Keep in mind that upgrading a cheap pistol is lipstick on a pig. Not a good investment if you are thinking of doing so. However, if you want to learn to mechanic a 1911 then it is cheap education.
jdmcomp is offline   Reply With Quote