The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old November 17, 2017, 04:55   #1
MFoB
Registered

FALaholic #: 77961
L1A1 flash eliminator sent into the wild blue yonder

Took my new-to-me L1A1 out to the range today to test fire it and managed to send the flash eliminator flying down range! Happy to report it went about 100 yards and struck the target before disappearing into the nether. Maybe this is by design? There IS a bayonet lug on there. Ballistic knives, anyone??

Kidding aside, I can get a new flash eliminator on Numrich for cheap, but how the hell does it go back on? Looks like the old one was just pressed into place and maybe epoxied, but that obviously didn't work out. Should I have it pinned and welded? I don't see where there was any cuts for a retaining pin or anything, so it's not like a pin shore off and let it go.

This is the type of flash hider I had:

MFoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017, 11:26   #2
Capt D
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
You'll need to have the barrel threaded 9/16-24 RH. I've got an original B58 FH if interested, PM me if so... --Art
COBC #66
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Capt D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017, 14:37   #3
MFoB
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt D View Post
You'll need to have the barrel threaded 9/16-24 RH. I've got an original B58 FH if interested, PM me if so... --Art
Thats wierd that the barrel wasn't threaded to begin with, but it has the cut for the key.
Old November 17, 2017, 14:52   #4
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
My guess is that you have one of the Century Arms neutered barrels (they sliced off the threaded area right in front of the key cut generally) and someone just push fit (I wont even say pressed ) a FH on and fixed it. You need threads and probably a new key cut to make an original FH work.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017, 17:50   #5
MFoB
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
My guess is that you have one of the Century Arms neutered barrels (they sliced off the threaded area right in front of the key cut generally) and someone just push fit (I wont even say pressed ) a FH on and fixed it. You need threads and probably a new key cut to make an original FH work.

Laaaaame. Sounds like what happened.