The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old November 15, 2017, 14:40   #1
scottyb
Registered

FALaholic #: 79711
What do you folks think of LWRC?

After the RPD gets paid off I am looking to get a piston drive IC SPR rifle.

I bought an M6 upper several years ago but due to ScottyB gun whore ways it does not get much love. Wanted a complete LWRC but it was a bit much for me at the time.

What are yer LWRC experiences good and bad?

pic for those with AADD

scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2017, 16:26   #2
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Got one. I like it.

Haven't beaten on it the way I've shot other rifles. Theoretically we're supposed to replace parts in the piston assembly at 4K as "normal wear".

That isn't super brilliant IMO
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2017, 18:08   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
We sell a ton of them at LGS and very seldom have complaint or issue. We sell a POF piston gun and if owner runs it hard it becomes a regular come back. Have one employee that does all proper maintenance and his POF has been fixed several times in shop and been back to factory three times. He shoots his SCAR's and DI rifles much more with no issues. A SIG piston gun is a thing of joy and rates in similar catagory as LWRC. Right now if could justify $2,000 for an AR pistol a SIG Rattler would be following me around. Would pull the SIG suppressed with Osprey can out of brief case and the Rattler would go in instead.

Not a big 300 BO fan, nor piston AR fan and almost an AR pistol hater but the Rattler is all three and we sell them fast as SIG can ship. A 9.5" 300 BO with no buffer system with choice of folding or collapsible "pistol brace" is a 100% reliable weapon that rules 125 to 150 yards with ease. Would keep a snap on can in briefcase with it and then probably only carry a single truck rifle with it in brief case as opposed to rifle in lock behind seat and second rifle in front seat.

Like brunop said, a 4,000 round service cycle seems a bit weak. It's not uncommon for me to run 2,000 rounds through a rifle in a weekend. Piston in a pistol as opposed to overgassing a DI gun does make sense though. I would be interested to see if the LWRC really needed that short of a service interval. My range 1911's go 10,000 between services and compact carry 1911's go 5,000 between service but they are pistols. If LWRC will send me a piston rifle will measure/inspect parts, run 10,000 rounds through it and see if holds up then measure for wear and might put original parts back in and see how long it runs be for breaking.

I would buy something like this LWRC:

The LWRC SIX8-SPR Special Purpose Rifle. No odd ball parts to stock or service. Just a dead solid ready to take over the world poodle shooter. But I am still stuck in the good ol days where we walked uphill in the snow both ways to and from school till they got the short busses.

Quote:
SIX8-SPR
Special Purpose Rifle

The 6.8X43MM SPC II cartridge was developed as a part of the Enhanced Rifle Cartridge Program to address the deficiencies in terminal performance seen with 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge while allowing the soldier to carry the same number of rounds with a minimal weight penalty. By using a heavier projectile, the 6.8 round offers more impact energy than the 5.56 NATO round across all effective ranges, effectively bridging the gap in lethality between 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO.*

A major drawback of using the 6.8 Cartridge in an M4 style weapon has been the lack of reliable magazines. To solve this issue, we designed our Six8 family of weapons around the magazine. Through a partnership with Magpul, the leader in polymer magazine engineering, we designed the first polymer 6.8 magazine. The Six8 PMAG features many of the same design characteristics of the standard PMAG, including the curved shape and familiar texture. The body is slightly wider, and the walls were strengthened in critical areas. Our red follower makes the Six8 magazine easy to pick out of a pile.*

The upper and lower receivers are designed to accommodate the slightly larger polymer magazine and to perfect the feed geometry for the 6.8 cartridge. As with the IC family, the weapons in the Six8 family are fully ambidextrous. Our Six8 rifles are, put simply, the familiar Stoner M4/AR-15/M16 architecture fully optimized for the 6.8 cartridge.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2017, 21:46   #4
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
Interesting. I've got a POF and have flogged the crap out of it with Zero issues. LWRC has a good rep. but IMO for me the POF was the one I chose.
Old November 16, 2017, 07:59   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
POF has a top notch reputation and most we sell never see again but we have a few that should have the same "lemon law" that applies to a bad car applied to them. Three returns in first 90 days and something is wrong. Every manufacturer has an item that gets out with an issue that's hard to diagnose on occasion. Of all piston AR's sold where I hang around the POF's seem to have more issues than others but we sell a boatload. Most common issue is failure to extract, failure to eject, op rods bending/breaking and bolt carrier group breakage. We even did an extensive Google search trying to come up with a solution for the employee owned POF and it's now a range toy as he has no trust for it as a defensive rifle.

Seen Utube torture tests where POF's ran 100% for several thousand rounds, others where could not get them to run reliably period. But whill Kimberly builds a fine 1911, they are built so tight that until 500 to 1,000 rounds are fired we get them back often saying having trouble. Explain at time of sale Kimberly require a longer breakin period than most 1911's but that usually means they are inherantly more accurate but owner still brings back after a failure to feed in second magazine through gun. Sometimes on retail level it's hard to figure out if issue is gun related or owner related.

I have taken in a few problem Kimbers, run 500 rounds and magically they start working reliably after parts mesh. Same with home built AR's, buy lots of problem rifles dirt cheap, disassemble then reassemble correctly and have a 100% solid rifle. We have scratched our heads in this one rifle for over two years and if it gets wailed on something breaks with no rhyme or reason. If we're mine would do a 100% tear down and find whatever is out of spec and causing so many failures. I bends an op rod anytime it sees a few mag dumps back to back and as an aside, the big issues happened when had a Gen 1 Echo trigger and seemed like high rate of fire was when most issues happened.

I can't say all POF rifles have issues but can say of the four piston AR's we sell, more returns on POF than any other. What owner was doing to break them is a mysery. Say they put a Slidefire stock on it or binary trigger and were running steel case Tula when came apart then put back to factory configuration before return? Who knows. Do know our employee gun always breaks under high steps conditions as we try to break stuff. It's a banner day when we hammer a gun so hard something turns loose as we learn where the fuse is. This rifle the three major failures were all to different parts but owner keeps multiple spare op rods and considers them a disposable item. I think there is something out of spec on this rifle causing the issues yet undiagnosed.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 14:02   #6
michael_g927
Registered

FALaholic #: 31039
In 2011 i bought an LWRCI REPR. Excellent rifle! It shoots very well for a gas gun. I have only shot 168 match thru it, but have recently started working with 178 Amax in it.
The only complaint i have is the piston valve gets stuck after 20-30 rounds. So keep their tool handy if you want to change settings.
To combat this i disassembled the gas block piston valve and coated it with hi temp gold antisieze from autozone. Problem solved.
michael_g927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 20:13   #7
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
I picked up a M6A2 a few months back . I liked it so well , I got another last month .
A Limited Edition 1 of 200 built Sniper Grey LWRC IC SPR .

The AMBI Lower sold me on that model .

Everybody's jumping on the DI Model right now , for less the a grand shipped .

I say piston drive , over the DI . But that's me ........

** Closed For Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot **

Last edited by fly2.0; November 20, 2017 at 20:19.
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 20:15   #8
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_g927 View Post
In 2011 i bought an LWRCI REPR. Excellent rifle! It shoots very well for a gas gun. I have only shot 168 match thru it, but have recently started working with 178 Amax in it.
The only complaint i have is the piston valve gets stuck after 20-30 rounds. So keep their tool handy if you want to change settings.
To combat this i disassembled the gas block piston valve and coated it with hi temp gold antisieze from autozone. Problem solved.
You have the adjustable gas system ? Right ?
** Closed For Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot **
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017, 17:47   #9
lockjaw
Not a gimp RR 11B40 B4
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
I dabbled with a few different piston AR platforms over years, including two LWRC rifles.

Currently, my only piston AR is a PWS MK114 (14.5" pinned barrel to 16"). I picked it up for cheap, and it is an excellent little rifle.

buykng an LWRC is like shopping for an SUV and buying an H2.

I really wanted to embrace the piston AR thing, but I then bought a 805. Love it!

The AR was designed as a DI rifle. I enjoy it for what it is.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017, 19:52   #10
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
The AR was designed as a DI rifle. I enjoy it for what it is.
Yep!