The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old November 07, 2017, 19:40   #1
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
M1911 Value?

My father is thinking about buying an M1911 from a Vietnam vet that served with my uncle in the 1990s. He said it was a gift and that he took it with him to Vietnam.

I don't have the pictures in-hand, but everything looks correct for a M1911 except for the mainspring housing and grip safety, which appear to be for a M1911A1 (the MSH is checkered), and the stocks, which are some cheap-looking pearlescent aftermarket stocks of some sort. The finish is heavily worn, maybe 10% remaining at best (probably much less; most of it looks like bare metal), the few spots where you see any it appears blued. No idea about bore condition, but functionally it's said to be good, as the owner says he shoots it at least a few times every year, gets it tuned up periodically, and keeps it loaded for home defence. It is U.S. property marked and has a serial number in the 502,000 range. Comes with a couple of magazines, an old case that it was placed in when it was given to him, and a black M1912 holster. Looks like it may have had a dehorning job at some point. The lines, however, are intact except for the front of the slide, where that curved cut is softened noticeably.
bigstick61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 09:36   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Without pictures to see what really has been modified, if original finish and how much remaining hard to say. Could be $900 to $2,000 with collector grade running up near $3,000. I have lots of original extra wood grips would not sale but would trade for something of equal value to a files member. Would also kick myself for letting them go when right pistol for them appeared in collection.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 15:59   #3
bigstick61
Registered

I got some pictures lasat night and posted them on ARFCOM. $300-500 is what I've been hearing so far. The new pictures make it look chrome plated.
Old November 08, 2017, 16:33   #4
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
I got some pictures lasat night and posted them on ARFCOM. $300-500 is what I've been hearing so far. The new pictures make it look chrome plated.
Yeah well, that's arfcom. Link pics here for us old guys.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 18:03   #5
bigstick61
Registered

Old November 08, 2017, 21:44   #6
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Kinda looks like old nickle with pearl grips. Either way, I'd bet it's worth more than the arfcom values.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 22:02   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Early frame and trigger, not an A1. More I look at it the gun is an early 1911 and it looks right to me except the finish.

As for buying it the gun would have to be stripped down for a really close inspection, it's an old gun and may have cracks in it.

Last edited by Bawana jim; November 08, 2017 at 22:14.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 23:13   #8
bigstick61
Registered

My dad's arranging for me to inspect it in-person. The mainspring housing looks like a pre-war A1 housing to me rather than the smooth flat style used on the Black Army M1911s. I'm not sure if the grip safety is correct or not; I might be seeing things, but it kinda looks pinned to me.
Old November 08, 2017, 23:28   #9
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
My dad's arranging for me to inspect it in-person. The mainspring housing looks like a pre-war A1 housing to me rather than the smooth flat style used on the Black Army M1911s. I'm not sure if the grip safety is correct or not; I might be seeing things, but it kinda looks pinned to me.
Grip safety looks correct as it is short. Mainspring housing might be wrong but I can't remember if they added it before or after the A1. Take a magnifying glass and a bright flashlight to look it over.
Old November 08, 2017, 23:48   #10
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Grip safety looks correct as it is short. Mainspring housing might be wrong but I can't remember if they added it before or after the A1. Take a magnifying glass and a bright flashlight to look it over.
I'm pretty sure that it was one of the A1 changes. The correct type for this serial number is flat absent checkering as an expedient production measure for the war.
Old November 09, 2017, 07:17   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I feel bad for building custom carries and race guns on early U.S. Government 1911's but to chrome and add fake pearl grips? Whatever old timer did that makes me sad. From one angle looks like frame may have been dehorned some, others it doesn't. Looks like enough grinding and polishing were done that another refinish might leave the stampings very light. Of course first 1911 I used to learn metal checkering was a nice original prewar M1911. I believe it's still worth more than the barf com prices but would try to buy in that range. I would pay $500 as is in hopes my plating guy could strip the nickle/chrome without removing too much metal so could be put back to an original appearance.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old November 09, 2017, 08:19   #12
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
I see a money pit....let someone else buy it.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2017, 10:44   #13
djvdz66
Registered

FALaholic #: 76958
$300-$500 is about right for that abortion. Pretty crappy nickle plating obvious, pitting on the frame and God only knows what's under the hood.
djvdz66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 08:36   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Only reason I might put $500 in is have a plating guy that owes me a favor. Would at least hopefully at least get $500 back parting out the useable giblets if it didn't work out to be recoverable. I have purchased complete race guns for a slide that had to replace every part to get slide back to stock configuration. Sometimes have to roll dice on classic guns and parts. Recently paid $150 for an original correct rear sight to go on a wheel gun trying to undo it's conversion into a bullseye gun.
Old November 10, 2017, 09:55   #15
gw104
Registered

FALaholic #: 33874
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
I see a money pit....let someone else buy it.
I second the motion.
gw104 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017, 00:41   #16
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
looks way too dicked up to me. if it shoots great & internals look great maybe but that '11 sure looks like a dog.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017, 00:56   #17
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
a drug dealer or a pimp would give $1000 for it

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017, 20:24   #18
hemcon9
Registered

FALaholic #: 53134
1911 hammer, A1 MSH
I have it's cheap nickel coated twin in the parts box.

It seems to have been popular to nickel plate 1911's back in the 50's and 60's when property stamped guns were cheap and everywhere.

I agree, it's a dog. Needs some steel leader, a #6 shark hook and over the side.
hemcon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2017, 08:18   #19
gunners
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 55824
Removing nickel plating always ends with a sad story. Run away don't walk.
gunners is online now   Reply With Quote