Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 06, 2017, 21:43   #1
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
SKS collection (and Imgur test)

Here's a look at my SKS rifles. I've always liked these guns and have had good service from them. It's not much of a collection by standards around here but I'm proud to have them. The group was photographed July 9 this year.

This is also my first group posted from my new account at Imgur. It's a test run of sorts to see how I like it there.

From left to right:

***late model Norinco (in an "awesome 80s" folding stock). This rifle was given to me by a close friend. It only had one of those "duckbill" 30 rounders for a mag when I got it, but that thing never missed a beat while I shot it. It was missing its operating rod, or secondary piston and spring. I just happened to have a spare.

***Norinco SKS-M. I added the pined-on muzzle brake just because I had one laying around and wanted to try it. It sort of compliments the looks I think.

***Yugoslavian 59/66. A buddy and I both bought one of these from IO back around '02 or '03 I think. They were both brand new, unfired rifles with unfinished stocks. I left mine natural, he used stain on his. These are beefy guns and feel comparable to handling an FAL.

***Norinco standard model. Its seen here with a fixed 20 round magazine. The machine work on it is just beautiful. I'm not sure how old it is; not certain when the Chinese went to the spike bayo. We live and learn as we get older and wiser. This rifle was in like new condition when I bought it. In a flash of inspiration, I stripped the furniture and stained it red. Of course, because I was such a noob at refinishing, I was over zealous with the sandpaper and rounded an edge or two.

Last edited by Texgunner; November 06, 2017 at 21:50.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2017, 21:53   #2
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Nice collection. I currently only own one; a 54' Tula. Fun to shoot.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2017, 23:03   #3
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
Nice collection. I currently only own one; a 54' Tula. Fun to shoot.
Thanks, they are fun to shoot aren't they?
Old November 06, 2017, 23:52   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I remember paying $90 each out the door for SKS-M's with one 30 round mag, 10 round and 600 round tin of ammo. Bought one a month for a little over a year. One AK at $125 with 600 round tin of steel core ammo and $75 each for SKS's with 600 rounds. Other than Colt Snake guns one of the best investments made as held on the the combloc weapons a long time. Still holding onto several all still NIB.

I really like an SKS with 20 round box magazine like your top example. Have several and wife loves them. Put on a set of tritium sights, 20 round box mag, Tapco trigger, extended butt pad and feed them 160 grain cast reloads with gas checks. I actually prefer an SKS with bag of rounds in stripper clips than AK with lots of spare mags as saves a lot of weight. SKS either doesn't get respect it deserves or others over rate them and assume if put aftermarket plastic folding stock have ultimate battle rifle. Not knocking yours as part of a collection, just the folk that find a cheap SKS, slap a cheap folder on it, plastic 30 round fixed mag and think it's an AR or AK equivalent rifle.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2017, 00:07   #5
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

The guy who gave me the folding stock SKS bought it off one of his employees back in the early 90s for $60 just as it is. When we took out to my farm, it would only shoot as a single shot. After closer examination, we discovered the missing op rod. Next gunshow I attended, I bought a spare and started offering to buy the rifle from him. Out of the blue, back in March or April, he called and asked if I was still interested. He wouldn't take anything for it. I had forgotten about the folder. I guess I'll just keep it on there, damned thing does lock up tight. I couldn't believe that the 30 round duckbill worked as well as it did either. Everyone I had ever been around was a jamming POS. And, walking around a stock pond and just plinking, it was damned accurate too.

I noticed that AIM has the Yugo 59/66 rifles for $489.95. The rifle in their ad is identical to mine. We paid $120 each for the pair we bought from IO. Not a bad investment that. I have a buddy's Russian SKS in my safe and forgot all about it when I took those pics. I should've added that too I guess.
Old November 08, 2017, 09:12   #6
dmk
Registered

FALaholic #: 8802
Nice collection!

Quote:
***Norinco SKS-M. I added the pined-on muzzle brake just because I had one laying around and wanted to try it. It sort of compliments the looks I think.
Looks very Mini-14 with that brake on there. I like it.
Old November 08, 2017, 09:32   #7
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Thanks Dave, glad you liked them!
Old November 08, 2017, 15:30   #8
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Have three myself. An "M" like yours bought here from a fellow Filer'. A Romanian with a fence post stock but it shoots good and I bought a replacement fiberglass stock that I have not installed yet. My favorite is a short barreled, pot-belly stocked, five round flush magazine, SKS "Cowboy Companion". I added a Tech Sight rear peep and it is a sweet little easy packing carbine. The five round flush magazine can be removed easily and quickly replaced with a duck bill 20 or 30 rounder if a fight is imminent. This is one rifle I do not shoot enough.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 16:12   #9
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I added a Tech Sight rear peep and it is a sweet little easy packing carbine.
I've heard good things about those Tech Sights. Might have to try one myself; aperture might sight a bit easier for old eyes than that notch.
Old November 09, 2017, 10:31   #10
dmk
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
I've heard good things about those Tech Sights. Might have to try one myself; aperture might sight a bit easier for old eyes than that notch.
I really like Tech Sights on the SKS. It's a great improvement both in sight picture and sight length with no drawbacks in functionality.

Here are a couple of my Chinese SKS with Tech Sights and Chinese fiberglass "Jungle Stocks":

SKS 16" 'Sporter' with 20rd Hungarian Tanker mag.

16" Para
Old November 09, 2017, 10:35   #11
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Those look really nice Dave! Are the fiberglass stocks still available anywhere now? I remember looking at some at a gunshow many years ago, should of bought one then. Thanks for showing your rifles!
Old November 09, 2017, 12:31   #12
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk View Post

16" Para
Now that just looks damned handy.
Old November 09, 2017, 12:46   #13
SteelGreyML
Registered

FALaholic #: 68116
No SKS here but that is a nice set you have!
SteelGreyML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2017, 13:08   #14
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelGreyML View Post
No SKS here but that is a nice set you have!
Thanks a lot!
Old November 09, 2017, 15:57   #15
dmk
Registered

Quote:
Those look really nice Dave! Are the fiberglass stocks still available anywhere now? I remember looking at some at a gunshow many years ago, should of bought one then. Thanks for showing your rifles!
Thanks TexGunner!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen those SKS Jungle Stocks in years. You used to be able to get them from places like Copes or CDNN for like $9 each. I should have bought more of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Now that just looks damned handy.
It is. With the Tech Sights on there, it's like an M1 carbine, but with some real punch.
Old November 09, 2017, 16:09   #16
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Nice group photo and good looking rifles.
Never owned one but like the Yugos, for some reason.
Used to shoot a friend's Russian model, which was a whole lotta fun.
I remember when wood chests of 10 rifles were very reasonably priced.
Now, they are a bit more...
https://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo-sks-for-sale

"DON'T do business with this guy" (me) in the Marketplace.
Twenty years of (+) across the innerwebs are wrong...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2017, 17:34   #17
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk View Post
Thanks TexGunner!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen those SKS Jungle Stocks in years. You used to be able to get them from places like Copes or CDNN for like $9 each. I should have bought more of them.

It is. With the Tech Sights on there, it's like an M1 carbine, but with some real punch.
Your welcome of course, those are cool rifles. Yep, I should of bought a few "back then" as well. I bet some are still around; finding them might be the trick. And, surely they would fetch more than $9 today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
Nice group photo and good looking rifles.
Never owned one but like the Yugos, for some reason.
Used to shoot a friend's Russian model, which was a whole lotta fun.
I remember when wood chests of 10 rifles were very reasonably priced.
Now, they are a bit more...
https://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo-sks-for-sale
Thanks! They have sure gone up in price. I wish I had bought several like my Yugo for $120. Hindsight is cheaper than that.
Old November 09, 2017, 18:37   #18
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
No Russian love here???
All nice, SKS a great little rifle.
Old November 09, 2017, 19:12   #19
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
No Russian love here???
All nice, SKS a great little rifle.
Too damned tight to buy a Russian these days!

Thanks brother!
Old November 09, 2017, 20:08   #20
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Too damned tight to buy a Russian these days!

Thanks brother!
They have gone up that much?

Got one, have a few, but one Russian is sitting out in the outbuilding, still in original cosmoline, a blade bayonet one, with the plywood looking stock on it.
I guess it was antisocial, not being with all the others.
Saw it the other day, wondered where it had ran off too.

What are they going for these days, maybe we talk.
Old November 09, 2017, 20:38   #21
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
They have gone up that much?

What are they going for these days, maybe we talk.
North of $400 at least, prolly closer to $500.

The Russian SKS in my safe has a laminated stock and the wood is really beautiful (for plywood ). The only problem it has involves the cleaning rod. For some reason it will not fit level and therefore looks kind of hinky. The gun appears to be unissued. I haven't had it out in some while; hell, not sure my old friend even remembers it's here.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/715881786

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/714209017

I know that's Gunbroker pricing but still, they are not cheap. You might be feeling better about that "lonely" gal out in the shed...
Old November 09, 2017, 20:48   #22
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
North of $400 at least, prolly closer to $500.

The Russian SKS in my safe has a laminated stock and the wood is really beautiful (for plywood ). The only problem it has involves the cleaning rod. For some reason it will not fit level and therefore looks kind of hinky. The gun appears to be unissued. I haven't had it out in some while; hell, not sure my old friend even remembers it's here.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/715881786

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/714209017

I know that's Gunbroker pricing but still, they are not cheap. You might be feeling better about that "lonely" gal out in the shed...
Darn, will go retrieve that bad boy tomorrow!

It looks just like that first one, with the plum colored ??? stock on it.

The only one I ever seem to shoot is one of the Chinese ones, dang, they got good triggers for a factory military rifle.
Old November 09, 2017, 20:49   #23
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

With tha shop building going up, etc, I've had plywood on the mind it seems.
Old November 11, 2017, 16:36   #24
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
The Yugo's from Cherry's imports were some of the best that came to the US. Most looked unfired. I have one, may sell bc sits in safe. SB

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians
Snake Bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 20:43   #25
dmk
Registered

Cherry's always seemed to import really nice examples of any gun.

Their name did always seem to fit the product.
Old November 11, 2017, 21:17   #26
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Would find a lot of SKS carbines in the "Bargain Bin" at the pawn shops and gun shops back in the day of sub $100 rifles. Grabbed a few that were altered but the price was too good to pass up. Very decent shooters regardless:

Not many SKS in my collection:

My regret is not scooping up a few dozen Norinco SKS carbines back in the day when they sold for $70 or so. Would have been a great investment but then who could have foreseen BJ Clintoon and his underhanded "agreement" with Russia and China on firearms.
Old November 12, 2017, 12:24   #27
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Nice group Black Blade! Thanks for sharing.