Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Class III Files

Notices

Old October 23, 2017, 12:40   #1
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
60 mike mike

Just refinished a 60mm mortar base cap for my buddy. I didn't know Firestone made mortars during WWII

This is going to be like adult lawn darts but for manly men.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 13:08   #2
notfrommt
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66655
M69's are a great way to kill an afternoon; at least until you lose them in soft ground or a pond.
notfrommt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 13:34   #3
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

I want to get a TRUMP round or 3.. makes them easy to find

Last edited by SAFN49; October 23, 2017 at 13:59.
Old October 23, 2017, 18:16   #4
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I've nothing to add except that mortars are f-in' cool.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 18:44   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Shit he takes too long. I could get some flame tats on my arms by the time he finishes I'll finish it this weekend

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 19:03   #6
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Shit he takes too long. I could get some flame tats on my arms by the time he finishes I'll finish it this weekend
I don't know why he didn't arm all the rounds first and then just pull the safety pin, Hang and Drop em.
Old October 23, 2017, 19:11   #7
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I've nothing to add except that mortars are f-in' cool.
Unless you're on the receiving end of the bloody things.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 19:15   #8
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFN49 View Post
I don't know why he didn't arm all the rounds first and then just pull the safety pin, Hang and Drop em.
No shit. If Tom Hanks living all his life in Harveywood could do it,then I could probably do it.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 21:54   #9
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
Ok, where do you even find Rounds for this thing?
Old October 23, 2017, 22:01   #10
notfrommt
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66655
Quote:
I would adjust after each round. Those fins are strategic parts.

Guy at work kept saying “he’s missing the truck”
notfrommt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 22:36   #11
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
This gives me a

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017, 02:19   #12
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Ol SAFN Having fun?? Would be a fun range day.

Trajectory as an art comes easy to me, especially under pressure.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017, 07:03   #13
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
style points?

Old October 24, 2017, 11:28   #14
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
style points?

Mark, are those your legs or did you ride into combat on a chicken?
Old October 24, 2017, 17:55   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Not me, from his K-pot, I assume he's Marine. Plus, we only had 60mm, as it's hard to jump an 81mm.

But I do still have those Ranger Panties. . .
Old October 24, 2017, 18:52   #16
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

It was just a joke.

and this meme is just a joke too....
Old October 24, 2017, 23:46   #17
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Years ago I did make a 55MM black powder mortar...was a lot of fun

This thread is giving me much inspiration but also much consternation as I don't currently have a lathe.....

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2017, 07:26   #18
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
It was just a joke.

and this meme is just a joke too....

Uh, yeah. What was it about my reply that would make you think I took it otherwise?
Old October 25, 2017, 12:26   #19
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
Unless you're on the receiving end of the bloody things.
I would wager that would apply to anything crew-served.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2017, 15:01   #20
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I would wager that would apply to anything crew-served.
Yeah, trust me, sometimes no matter how deep the hole you dig, doesn't seem deep enough when heavy rounds are incoming.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017, 11:18   #21
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftonaviation View Post
Ok, where do you even find Rounds for this thing?
Local gun smith in Dahlonega was building IPSC pistols in mid/late 1980's and had a huge display of mortar rounds, claymore mines and more. To most who asked they were inert training items. He got so entangled in community local Sheriff's department made him a reserve deputy without post certification and a felony conviction had expunged by local judge so able to go into firearms business. Turned out the mortar rounds and claymore mines were all 100% live and he had cases of them. I only had the guy build two IPSC pistols and never even discussed anything illegal as always had too much to lose to do anything not allowed with a $200 tax stamp. Suddenly earlier one morning got a call from the guy wanting to know if needed any "off the books" M16's, live mortars, claymores, current dot gov night vision or anything. Guy pressed hard, continued to refuse, he asked if knew anyone as needed to raise some quick cash and continued to be ignorant. A week or so later about twenty of his former customers were rounded up on felony BATFE violations and he surfaced a couple months later working at a motorcycle shop in Florida as a machinist.

More than once have seen people bring severe violations into gun shops and other places for sale. Many didn't know just found in dad's or grandpa's basement after they passed. If a man wanted mortar rounds and had enough wallet sized photos of dead presidents it's a 50/50 chance if you end up interacting with a real criminal or Federal Agent posing as criminal.
Another example of why gun laws are stupid. If a person really wants mortar rounds or other items it's just a matter of keeping ears tuned and cash in pocket. I was stunned quite some time back when discovered that a Flame Thrower is not ruled as a destructive device by BATFE. My guess is with right corporate front, applications and licensing would just be a matter of having enough investment capital to aquire legally.

Then have guys like the Sons of Guns character breaking every law could imagine from guns, destructive devices, sex crimes and had a television show. I had an odd feeling about them as tried contacting them before first season of show for two personal builds. Was working 10 to 12 days every six weeks in Louisiana doing batteries and rode by his shop several times. Would knock on door, call and leave voice mails and send emails without any response. Wanted two integrally suppressed rifle builds and apparently was not interested or dealing with people didn't know. Show hit air a couple years later and three episodes into first season was glad had not given him any money. But always someone selling out the back door if a man looked, I have no desire to get involved in anything that puts me in prison at all, much less past my natural life expectancy.

Two 17 years Olds in North ATL metro area were arrested this week with multiple bombs were planning on placing in their high school. Two years ago a group of men arrested with many bombs headed for Falcons Stadium and Phillips Arena. In both circumstances law enforcement was just a couple days ahead of deployment. Imagine the Las Vegas bump fire boy having conceived a home brew mortar or bought a military tube with rounds as aparently had the financial resources. Very easy to build, properly placed and disguised could have laid rounds into the crowd for some time. Just steal an 80,000 pound road tractor, hit the fence at 35 mph and push through heart of crowd at a solid 35 till come out fence on other side and keep driving to escape vehicle. From the shoe lace machine gun, rubber band bump fire, home brew mortar to $500 cash and a trip to Home Depot would much rather domestic terrorist have a personal encounter with have a gun than 100 other easy to obrain/build devices such as a box truck and industrial supplies that dropped a building in Oklahoma City.

Like firearms and even tanks, if a man has the money to play with big toys have seen enough of it imagine there is a legal way to do so. My question is how much does it cost per round to play with such a toy?
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017, 13:26   #22
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Like firearms and even tanks, if a man has the money to play with big toys have seen enough of it imagine there is a legal way to do so. My question is how much does it cost per round to play with such a toy?
A mortar round with more than .25 ounces of explosive starts at $350 +$200 tax stamp per round. So starting at the low low price of $550 per round after you get your FEL, for an additional $200 for the first year and $100 per year to renew, the first round will set you back $750

It's about the the same for grenade launchers.
Old October 26, 2017, 16:25   #23
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Thanx for that, when become rich know how much will know how much a mortar will cost to run.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2017, 23:44   #24
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Thanx for that, when become rich know how much will know how much a mortar will cost to run.
Well SAFN was only addressing live HE rounds and even if you have a FEL don't hold your breath hoping for a DoD contractor to sell you examples
Very very few licensees can get that level of respect.

Pretty sure Dan Shea has imported live RPG7 rounds in the past that are used in his company training seminars as well as other HE ord however he has Federal contracts.

Something most folks can't get their heads around is even nuclear ordinance at one point is "privately" owned by corporations. It's not like things are manufactured in Federal Arsenals anymore, most everything is contracted out.

Now understand there are ways around the regulation.
Black Powder conversions are the main one.
Back in the 70s Odin International was converting 50mm Soviet mortars to black powder, fuse fired. Been quite a few since done on 60mm Stokes Brandt like our M2.

By the way one of the pervasive myths is black powder artillery can't be in a military bore diameter...that's untrue. It's basis is that many folks went to a diameter appropriate to launching cement filled beer cans. There is No ATF letter stating anything on bore diameter thus your mortar can have a true 60mm bore.

One thing you can't do is fire it by any modern ignition device...no electric ignition, boxer primers, etc. Has to be fuze, friction ignition or cannon lock.

As far as what you can lawfully shoot without a FEL ?
solid shot and home brew pyrotechnics. Nothing that can be considered anti personel though.
The TRUMP rounds are actually just simulators, same principle could be applied to a black powder round...just a 20gauge blank. The rounds do dig in dirt so that's the little explosion you see.
As I recall the company making them self regulates sales of even those rounds to only folks who have a registered 60mm.

Many years ago there was a rather wealthy character north of Fargo ND that owned a mess of heavy ordinance and HE ammo. He had got into it prior to 1968, back then even HE was unregulated by gun laws, it was dead easy to obtain an explosives licence, the main issue was shipping.
During the 68' Amnesty he had registered hundreds of rounds of HE ord.
No clue where everything went when he passed on in the late 80s
Perhaps Lamont as there really were not many DD dealers in that period.

Anyways during Spring break up on the Red River of the North his thing was blasting ice flows.
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2017, 10:12   #25
GOVT1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 9433
I picked up a pile of 60mm practice rounds from a place about 10-15 yrs ago, Sherluck Manufacturing, I think? I paid around $25 each. They had been bought by them as scrap, IIRC? Most of them were serviceable, but many had fins that were bent. I was able to straighten most of the fins out.

I played around and loaded a lot of smoke and pyrotechnic (fireworks) "flares". I had a registered DD 60mm for years, then ended up selling it to a friend of a friend that HAD to have it......for about 5x what I had into it.

I've thought about building another 60mm for fun, but I may just go with a BP one this time just because it's easier and still able to play around with loading my own rounds.
Old October 30, 2017, 17:43   #26
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Well SAFN was only addressing live HE rounds and even if you have a FEL.
I was also talking about rolling your own "HE" rounds as a FEL.

Anything over .25 ounces of explosives is considered "HE" and a DD.

Right now you are limited to 0.25 ounces of explosives, example black powder, in the Trump rounds. If you want to roll your own and say go with 0.75 ounces of black powder for a bigger bang, you need to have an FEL and register each round as a DD.
Old October 30, 2017, 20:55   #27
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
I was also talking about rolling your own "HE" rounds as a FEL.

Anything over .25 ounces of explosives is considered "HE" and a DD.

Right now you are limited to 0.25 ounces of explosives, example black powder, in the Trump rounds. If you want to roll your own and say go with 0.75 ounces of black powder for a bigger bang, you need to have an FEL and register each round as a DD.
yeah get that. BP though is a bit silly as it's LE. For example hobbiests can load up a quarter ounce picric acid load versus FFFg to make a larger boom under the same exemptions Tannerite has once mixed

Easy shit to fab up, just storage and transit regs SAFN.
the precursors can be found most anywhere
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 19:18   #28
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Found this a moment ago and had to share

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote