The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old October 18, 2017, 22:49   #1
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Combat Reload for the Revolver

An interesting presentation by the Indiana State Police on how to keep the wheelgun topped off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2B48FmLkys

Some of the one-handed technique I had seen before but not the one where the boot is used as a prop.

Does make the old 'dump pouches' look as bad as bullet loops but then that was the point.
Old October 19, 2017, 10:25   #2
D P Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 15219
Thanks for posting ... good video.
D P Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017, 11:39   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
The HKS loader turned out to be better because if you dropped them the rounds didn't pop out. Takes a twist of the nob while Safariland just a push of the button.
Old October 19, 2017, 15:00   #4
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
I bought both makes for my J frame .38 Specials. Decided that I liked the Safariland much better. Just one push and drop the speed loader. Then I bought several more for both J and K frames. Somewhat of a moot point today. I can't remember the last time I saw a LEO carrying a revolver.

I remember when cops wore the Sam Browne belts with leather loops for their spare rounds. As I understand it the ammo companies started offering nickel plated .38 Special ammo because of the corrosion caused by the tannic acid in the leather and the brass cases. Then the drop pouch came along. A better idea but hardly ideal IMHO. Fumble things and you could drop all six rounds in the dirt or street. I saw this happen at the federal prison during practice.

One bad habit I had to break was after ejecting the fired cases I was putting them in my pocket. I would do this at my club range when shooting any revolver other than a .22 rimfire. So I started using a ground cloth to catch the fired cases. I wonder how many cops were doing this back in the day....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017, 17:39   #5
Wildcat
Registered

I originally bought the HKS because the local gun stores didn't carry anything else. The problem is you have to hold the cylinder still with one hand and operate the loader release with the other hand.

Went to Safariland and stayed with it. Funny, the loading instructions in the video suggest you can just stand the cartridges up in the body of the Comp II loader and just twist the knob. I'd recommend actively holding the cartridges in place while loading those things or is possible the rims won't get captured correctly.

Also once the loader has released, let it drop off on its own; even if that has to happen while you are closing the cylinder. I've seen it happen several times where someone plucks the speedloader off and binds a round in the loader leaving behind a partially loaded cylinder.
Old October 19, 2017, 17:51   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

Around here the Safariland loaders were the first out. I remember a cop showing me the difference by dropping a Safariland and the shells falling out then throwing an HKS loader across the room and they all stayed in. I like switches better than buttons, it's too easy to bump a button.
Old October 19, 2017, 22:43   #7
Wildcat
Registered

That's an odd thing about the carriers shown in the video. Other than the fact that they appear to be every bit as large as full size magazine pouches, the speed loaders straddle the belt....which puts the release in a Safariland loader right down onto the belt. I guess there must be a stop in the holder or its molded shape limits the movement.
Old October 20, 2017, 07:30   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I have a huge pile of Safariland and HKS speed loaders along with rubber speed strips. I prefer the Safariland but if carried in a pocket will sometimes spit out a round. HKS are less likely to drop a round inadvertently if carried in pocket or rumbling around in a dope bag. Have learned to use the HKS for pocket and in random bags and Safariland in speed loader pouches. Have a pair of HKS in tray on front of console in truck but pair of Safariland in a speed loader pouch in compartment behind them. If shooting IDPA or similar with a wheelgun will always use the Safariland loaders as faster.

If carry a wheelgun on belt for sentimental old school flavor will generally have a two compartment speed loader pouch on belt weak hand side and speed strip with six rounds in rear pocket. If we're to run gun dry then snatch a speed loader out of pouch after dumping empties and just press. Have forgotten to secure cylinder with thumb or otherwise as turned knob on an HKS to realize cylinder was turning with loader and had to readjust grip. If were in tactical situation and fired a couple of rounds would pull speed strip and top off then drop back in pocket.

Still have tendency to carry wheel gun when walking in woods for magnum power or five shot 44 special for self defense in public or backpacking. When have a 60+ pound backpack every ounce counts. If walking in bear country want a pistol that might turn one off as he swallows my hand and squeeze off last couple of rounds. Have a Elmer Keith frame stetching 44 special load using hard cast gas check Keith bullets. Across chronograph they clock same as a 44 magnum load but other than making sure they don't kaboom a new to me 44 special wheel gun in Ransom Rest only shoot them in burly 44 Mag when develop, test or tweak. Once confirmed that a compact special doesn't crack a cylinder or underside of forcing cone in a rest only carry the heavy loads when backpacking. One speed strip of spares and all the weight want to add.

Have drop pouches which are easy to fumble rounds moving fast under stress. Speed strips are secure, pack flat in a pocket but are slow though best way to top off just one or two rounds. HKS for loose carry so don't loose rounds and Safariland for speed loader pouches and pure speed. Bottom line is there are strong points and weak to all. A board with holes that hold rounds properly spaced to have at range to pop on speed loader and reload it with just a push or push and twist makes handgun practice much more convenient especially with rimfires. Anyone needs a board if send me a paper pattern with proper spacing can cut on my CNC router for nothing. Having a dozen or so circles of bullets lined up for speed loader reloading is handy.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017, 21:11   #9
douglas
Registered

FALaholic #: 22985
Been using Safariland speed loaders since I was a recruit in the Academy. We were issued a Smith and Wesson model 66 along with a belt pouch that held two Safariland speed loaders holding the spare ammo. They are pretty much trouble free and when one would start acting up I'd just trash it and get another one.
I have a large shoe box full of various Safariland Speed loaders for my different revolvers.
I have a few HKS speed loaders but never have liked them as much. Too many years of building muscle memory with the Safariland to be as smooth with them.
They both work well.
Old November 01, 2017, 14:28   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Found a huge box of Safariland Comp 1 and Comp 2 speedloaders for three different wheel guns. Also found loading trays and individual loading blocks for making own trays. Have both here at work and using to program my own version of loading trays using some 3/4" HDPE (similar chemistry as cutting boards but U.V. stabilized and different outer color as inner like see on small engraved signs like name plates for doors and desks except much thicker) so maximize layout for most rounds and cut to size so stack in fifty caliber ammo cans.

When take wheel guns to range can have ammo can for each wheel gun and as all my speedloaders run dry can just snap them into can and come back out loaded for belt holders. As a board runs empty will lift it out ans have next layer sitting in wait. Right now am working on two pistols for speed work similar to IDPA wheel guns but not quite as extravagant. Adding Hogue Competition cylinder releases, swapping sights, doing action and trigger jobs. Both are older well worn pistols that are a bit loose on timing due to wear so both are getting end-shake shims, oversize cylinder latches fitted and then going top shoot the crap out of them.

The 4.25" 686 will be set up for full power 357 and rebuilding a 4" Smith M19-5 for 38 special SWC loads. Both will get full spring swaps and move to work full time as range guns so no excuse not to keep my wheel gun skills tuned. Always have a 3" 44 Special under seat of truck with several speedloaders in console and a 6" 22 Magnum in the emergency backpack. Now to find some speed loaders for the seven shot Rossi.

Have been shooting 1911's and SIG semi autos so much had almost forgotten how much fun wheel guns can be. Been loading 454 Casull Mag, 44 Mag and 44 special ammo past two weeks and when get through the big bores will lay into some 357 and 38. Have plenty of ammo put back but know when start pulling all these out of the vault am going to get excited and may as well get a double stockpile of range ammo ready. Just need to remember to not mess with the snake guns, too valuable to wear out lobbing lead indoors.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017, 18:35   #11
Paul Cox
Registered

FALaholic #: 4931
This video is the first time I've seen weak side loader carry recommended. If you are going to use strong side hand to grab the loader why reach further for it.

I've shot plenty of PPC matches in the 80s and can't recall anyone wearing loaders on their weak side.
Paul Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017, 23:38   #12
Bawana jim
Registered

In my 20s I saw a guy do a real fast reload. He shot the 28 smith empty and opened he gun with his shooting hand and rubbed the ejector down his leg kicking out all the empties. At the same time he grabbed his Dade speed loader with his left hand to load the gun. He never lost his shooting grip.
Old November 16, 2017, 23:45   #13
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
1988 doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

I watched the video and couldn't help but think that the average policeman probably carries 3X the 18 rounds the patrolman in the video appeares to have on him - all thanks to the semi-auto revolution that swept law enforcement in the 90s.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017, 02:48   #14
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
I would ask tdb59.

That guy is wicked fast on a reload.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2017, 21:18   #15
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
NY reload beats a speedloader.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2017, 21:23   #16
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
1988 doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

I watched the video and couldn't help but think that the average policeman probably carries 3X the 18 rounds the patrolman in the video appeares to have on him - all thanks to the semi-auto revolution that swept law enforcement in the 90s.
And misses 3X more often....

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote