Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 23, 2017, 14:41   #51
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
Holy smokes. Cabelas beat someone's price?! Only in California, I guess.
There is no Cabelas in California. Reno, NV is the closet. Meaning it gets shipped to FFL in California.
Old September 23, 2017, 16:23   #52
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
I like big block V-8’s, “there is no substitute for cubic inches” as the man said, and while some hollow point ammo might expand …… a .45 will not shrink (this is where the 9mm fanboys get upset)

I make no bones about being a 1911 .45ACP snob, so you can take my input for what you may ….. or what you paid ..

the differences between a 3” barreled officers model 1911 and a 5” barrel gov’t model 1911 become rather obvious shooting the same ammo in both, especially Cor-Bon 185gr JHP +P ammo

the officers model was a opportunity that I though was a good decision at the time, while it does hide better than a gov’t model in my big hands my pinky finger hangs below the magazine, at the range you can use standard gov’t model mags in the officers but do not count on doing so in a combat situation or you will jam it up big time, Chip McCormick does make shooting star mags for the officers model and they work great for me

the gov’t model does seem to balance in the hand almost naturally but does not conceal as well and needs to be “de-horned” a bit so that it draws smoother and does not hang on clothes

full size mags are easier to find and Chip McCormick shooting star mags do hold 8 rounds and function 100% for me

the commander length of 4 to 4-1/4 inch barrel is about the perfect length and still balances decent in the hand, conceals within reason, the light weight version just calls out to me, but my wallet keeps smacking my hands …. and the commander uses the standard full size mags ... damn I want a pair ......

tritium sights are your friend since most times you really need your weapon is in low light

grips …… I invested in the VZ Simonich Gunner Black G10 grips and would not be without them, absolutely no problem controlling any 1911 with them installed (even when I have the .400 Cor-Bon barrel in the gov't model and it is roaring), some claim “they hurt my hand to grip the 1911” I tell them thats “wuss-boy talk”

and do not forget quality gun leather, it becomes very personal finding what is right for you so that everything just "flows"
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2017, 16:40   #53
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKodog View Post
I like big block V-8’s, “there is no substitute for cubic inches” as the man said, and while some hollow point ammo might expand …… a .45 will not shrink (this is where the 9mm fanboys get upset)
I think I may have heard that somewhere
Old September 24, 2017, 00:23   #54
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Don't go below 4" on a 1911

With commercially avalable ammo don't expect a 5.7 pistol to do more than a .22 mag
Old September 25, 2017, 10:22   #55
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
OK so let's attack this from a different point of view... you're in Cali. That means limited selection and further limited magazine capacity (unless you're LEO, which you haven't stated). With that, combined with your need to carry, your selection narrows further still.

So here's my thinking... find a pistol in a caliber you already reload for, at the maximum capacity allowed by your (shall not be infringed my ass) laws, in as large a size as you are wiling to carry. If that's your limit, then I'd either go Smith 625 as you can shoot BOTH acp and LC, or the 325 in acp only.

If an auto .45acp then look into polymer for carry. The Sig 320 is a great choice, and you can find a grip and frame size customized to you. There is certainly nothing wrong with the Glocks, M&Ps, Shields, and other proven designs.

Then again 38/357, 44sp/44mag, .40S&W/10mm, are all viable carry rounds that dies are just a keyboard away, and all are just as cheap to reload for as your 45s. Truly, the sky is the limit.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017, 11:41   #56
FAL4EVER
Registered

FALaholic #: 13671
I have and carry my Kimber ultra blabla thingy (3" .45).
A govt model conceals just as good for me in a kingtuk iwb under a t-shirt, but I have to tighten my belt more as the extra weight pulls down more and there is more of a swivel effect due to the larger size. The aluminum frame of the Kimber sure helps too in that area. With shovels for hands govt grips don't fit me anyways (love my Coonan 357 for fixing that) so a little more or less hand sticking out the bottom doesn't matter. The trigger is the best of my 1911's (out of the box) and to my own surprise I am not less accurate with it at 25y with this mini. For practice I reload Montana Gold 185's to the same velocity as the Hornday critical defense ammo I carry. It also has the crimson (green laser) grips. I have read a few things about tactical disadvantages of lasers, but I figure I don't have to use it unless I have to. With aging eyes in low light I may end up without my cheaters in reach so I like having that choice available to me.
I'm sure those who say that Kimbers are crap, are right. I just can't find anything wrong with mine. I can lay down on the couch on top of it and not experience any kind of discomfort.
In short, I personally dont feel I have a reason to go to at least 4 or 5 inch. If I were to feel uneasy with 1 round less, I would grab one of my dual stack 2011's.
Old September 25, 2017, 11:49   #57
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFeod View Post
Wow, such great info stated there. Thanks, this thread was pointless until you added your two cents. Zero fu*kin' help numb nuts. I understand if you're lonley out there in Pencil-tuckey, you gotta reach out some how... I understand.
foad desert boy. yer just jelus cause you live with a bunch of scorpions.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017, 11:54   #58
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL4EVER View Post
The aluminum frame of the ...
been carrying a tokarev m57 lately, but when I do carry a 1911 it is a full sized aluminum frame.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017, 12:00   #59
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Go with an officers model. The ammo available these days is pretty good.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=359
➤ 1154 FPS -- Series 80 LW Officers model, 3.5-inch
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 01:36   #60
AFeod
Registered
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
So I was finally able to get over to my ffl... long story short I picked up a cdp ultra. 3” .45

I really like the night sights and how it’s already had the edges smoothed out. It feels nice in the hand even w/ my pinky hanging off a bit. I’m really looking forward to getting ‘er to the range
Old November 21, 2017, 00:17   #61
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
I have several small 45s for carry (Sig P245 and 250, Para 3" 1911, G30...) but the one I carry is the shield 45. Small, light, 7+1 and shoots the smoothest (not the smothest trigger, but nice).

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2017, 09:18   #62
Shootability
shootabilityusa.com
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6448
M&P Shield in 45 if you want 45 and 9mm if you can go that route.
Shootability is online now   Reply With Quote