The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old July 26, 2017, 23:35   #1
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
glock mag 9mm AR

Been waffling for a few weeks now on PSA's deal for a complete glock mag lower... which is how I ended up with the AR I just got last week.

But I keep going back to that lower, and doing research on what bolts work, what it would take to make a working carbine, etc. $189 for a complete lower w/ carbine collapsing stock, no shipping.

PSA is either evil and they have genius marketing people, OR the $189 price is about to go away ($300 is normal).

Just got an email "last chance for this deal" since I had one in my shopping cart... just hadn't committed.

So I just committed. Based on last purchase it should be here middle of next week, but it will be a few months before I can afford the rest of the parts to build it up.

Looking at the Spinta bolt, and the Stag upper w/ LRBHO. Gonna do a 16" barreled carbine and rifle length hand guards and fsb for that dissipator look
Old July 26, 2017, 23:45   #2
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Should be fun. I'm in Mexico right now and just walked past a bunch of cops with mp5s now I really want one lol
Falfan2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017, 07:28   #3
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan2017 View Post
Should be fun. I'm in Mexico right now and just walked past a bunch of cops with mp5s now I really want one lol
I have a Ruger 44 Carbine. Fantastic way to use the 44 mag

Buddy who is a stamp collection has a 9mm upper w/ 4" barrel and integral suppressor for his M16 - more fun to shoot than the belt fed 1919a4

I *wants* this ... yes I do...
Old July 30, 2017, 22:35   #4
archers6
Registered

FALaholic #: 67351
I think the price will probably drop once novelty demand falls off. Odds are good it will work it's way back down to sub $200 again. I am probably going to bite once stock and price settle down on the whole kit for an 8" pistol.
archers6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017, 04:03   #5
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

With the SB Tactical Brace and an Echo trigger you can have an almost full auto subgun thats legal with zero NFA costs or paper work. Although that means you'll have about $800 tied up in the lower alone.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.

Last edited by Thorack; July 31, 2017 at 09:14.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017, 14:32   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
11.5" barrel, sealed suppressor tack welded to make 16.75" barrel, Franklin Armory Binary Trigger and this is about the most fun, best home defense combo a man can have with minimum trouble IMHO. Gotta get my 6.8 versions finished as wife confiscated the other 5.56 leaving me with just this one now. She has three of five of our fast triggers now.

Will never do another true SBR as end up running a can 90% or more of the time to keep SBR's from being oppressive to shoot. Money saved on second stamp plus engraving and time for approval almost pays for a cheap suppressor. This can was $350 out the door plus $200 for tax stamp. Four equidistant tack welds (my preferred method) or pinning can to barrel for a 16" minimum OAL saving a second $200 stamp plus $75 to get lower nicely engraved means only an extra $100 to have a one stamp SBR rather than two stamps. Of course doing pistol with SIG brace or similar meets same goal without a second stamp but prefer a real stock and no issue with rule Nazi getting goofy if seen shouldering a pistol.

The binary trigger even makes the spouse giggle. She can draw down on silhouette target at 25 feet to 75 yards and puts center mass double tap on target every time. She has a pair of 5.7×28 AR's with 14.7" barrels and "pinned" suppressor adapters. With a can snapped on she can put 50 round mag dumps in center mass with no effort. Imagine a hard shell zombie would be out of the game before her little rifles run dry. Have a couple rock-n-roll items left in the old Trust but sold most during first cancer bout to uncomplicate wife's life if didn't survive. Now after several trips down that road going to act like living forever and let heirs work it out rather than sell toys then miss having them when recover. That said, figuring cost, function and paperwork will take a binary fire control system over a full auto any day of the week now. Bump fire triggers are o.k. but take more training to teach people to control. Just waiting for AK and HK binary triggers. Seems like an HK binary trigger pack could move from rifle to rifle would already be on market. Same personal feelings on short barrels, have parts got free to build an AR pistol down to KAC tube and Slash Heavy Buffer but going to put an 11.5" 6.8 barrel on it. Longer barrel is easier than overgassing a short barrel but pistol cartridges are a different animal to configure if one wants an AR in pistol cartridge. Had a couple and never really could find a use for an AR 15 that didn't make any more energy on target than my handgun. Not saying anything wrong with it but it's personal taste, if we all drove same car or truck, carried same guns and ate same food world would be a boring place. Going to do an 11.5" 6.8 pistol and a 12.5" one stamp 6.8 SBR build to have a pair of 5.7×28, pair of 5.56 and pair of 6.8 fast fire house sweepers. By time we run them dry if have to reload likely not going to survive the zombie hoard swarm.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017, 14:55   #7
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
the PSA glock mag lowers are ok, I built a 22TCM gun on one, I was told by PSA that you need to use their hybred BCG for reliable results.
Old July 31, 2017, 17:10   #8
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiedave View Post
the PSA glock mag lowers are ok, I built a 22TCM gun on one, I was told by PSA that you need to use their hybred BCG for reliable results.
From reports on arf the Spinta works well and has the needed cut to feed from a glock mag

BUT. a 22TCM AR? Where did you get a barrel and is it blowback or gas?
Old August 01, 2017, 07:05   #9
2barearms
I really don't hate you..
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiedave View Post
How do get the 22 TCM ammo to fit the glock mag?

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 01, 2017, 07:33   #10
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
How do get the 22 TCM ammo to fit the glock mag?
22TCM is just about the length of the 9mm. Thats why it is available in Rock Islands 1911, as a 9mm/22TCM combo. Very similar ballistics to teh 5.7x28, easier to reload for.
Old August 24, 2017, 09:49   #11
fnogger
Registered

Progress...

Still need bolt, barrel nut, hand guards, and optic....