The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old July 22, 2017, 15:33   #1
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
The FN-49 – The Last Elegant Old-World Military Rifle – SECOND Edition

Originally published in December 2004, the SECOND edition of this book is in work. All of the original material will carry over, some of it edited/updated. New material will be added, page count will increase from 200 pages to over 300 pages, and images should increase from the current 300 to around 600. The Sniper Rifle chapter will increase from the current 19 pages to around 30 pages. The book will now be full color throughout (not counting original monochrome images). Publication is (now) forecast for “late-2018”.

For those of you that have read the first edition, do you have any feedback? Do you have any rifles, bayonets, or optics that fall outside of quoted serial number ranges? Do you have a rifle that has an interesting original feature that is not illustrated in the book? Any other feedback?

Regarding serial number ranges, I can always use more information on FN-49 sniper rifles and related equipment. Anyone out there have a Lux or Egyptian sniper rifle, or an OIP FN-49 scope, that did not participate in my sniper rifle surveys back in 2002-2004? More data is always appreciated and helps to refine observed serial number ranges for this type of equipment.

Feedback is welcome up until the time I hit a (TBD) cutoff date for submitting my copy to my publisher.

Thanks,

Goose / Wayne Johnson

NEW INFO:

Feb. 18, 2018: The publisher's web site now has a page announcing the availability of the book. That page will be periodically updated as we determine final page and image counts, release date, price, etc. The page includes a synopsis of some of the noteworthy additions to the book. There is a link on that page if you want to be notified of a "pre-publication" sale of the book. When you click that link, it will launch an email - just put "FN-49 Book" in the Subject line and ask to be put on the list.

The page is here: Publisher's Second Edition Info

Last edited by Goose52; March 23, 2018 at 08:52. Reason: Updated publication forecast.
Goose52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017, 17:55   #2
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
I was contacted by a gentleman from Herstal the other day. He has several Lux OIP scope. He is looking to purchase a Lux sniper and is interested in the scope base numbers. He claims the scope bases were stamped with the scope serial numbers but they did not match the rifle serial numbers.

Since you have the most complete list of Lux scope serial numbers I would suggest that maybe publish a list of known numbers and try to the owners match scopes with base #'s.

There are maybe 100 of the scopes in the country and matching them up to bases would be great for all owners and make the rifles more correct.

So a correct rifle would be rifle serial # 7XXX, Scope base serial # 123, scope serial # 123, sunshade serial # 123, Case serial # 123, lens cover serial # 123.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017, 18:51   #3
Goose52
Registered

I have thousands of lines of data in my FN-49 data base (adding up all the rifles, optics, and bayonets) ... but have NO names. This was a commitment I made starting back in 2001 to protect everyone's privacy. This policy resulted in the submission of more data (some folks would not contribute if their name was being recorded); the purpose of which is to help tell the story of the rifle and equipment.

So, I haven't a clue as to who owns what...
Old July 23, 2017, 23:55   #4
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post

So, I haven't a clue as to who owns what...

Which is exactly how these participants wanted it.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2017, 17:04   #5
Goose52
Registered

OK - another chance to report any feedback that you might have - I will be coming up on a cut-off for new info by February or so...

For those of you that have read the first edition, do you have any feedback? Do you have any rifles, bayonets, or optics that fall outside of quoted serial number ranges? Do you have a rifle that has an interesting original feature that is not illustrated in the book? Any other feedback?

ALSO - I can always use more data on Snipers - see: FN-49 Survey – Sniper Rifles and Sniper Scopes & Mounts

THANKS !
Old December 12, 2017, 09:34   #6
vmtz

FALaholic #: 1125
I have a first edition, but when can we preorder the second edition?

Vince
vmtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2017, 10:24   #7
Goose52
Registered

Hi Vince - Publication will be sometime in "mid-2018". I'll post in this thread sometime next year if/when the publisher will take advance orders.

Goose / Wayne J.
Old December 13, 2017, 09:32   #8
vmtz

Thank you!

Vince
vmtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2017, 14:52   #9
GIshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 4372
Yes, I'd be interested in pre-ordering also.
GIshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2017, 15:11   #10
Goose52
Registered

Thanks for the interest - keep an eye out for this thread next year (and I'll PM anyone posting on this thread as well...).

For the first edition owners - still looking for any feedback...
Old December 16, 2017, 22:30   #11
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Thanks for the interest - keep an eye out for this thread next year (and I'll PM anyone posting on this thread as well...).

For the first edition owners - still looking for any feedback...
I'm in for the second edition too, of course...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 07:57   #12
Goose52
Registered

Thanks Forrest !
Old December 17, 2017, 11:26   #13
Slow
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17330
Quote:

For those of you that have read the first edition, do you have any feedback?

Goose / Wayne Johnson

if i had a first addition i would give feedback............

i have acquired an Egyptian (eagle), a Vennie and an AL rifle. nothing special that i am aware of, the AL has a very light "AL" imprint on the receiver.

definitely want to get a copy of the second edition.

What’s the point in ever trying to be happy when the very pursuit of happiness is what makes you miserable.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but i can't stick my head that far up my ass

"The earth swarms with people who are not worth talking to" -Voltaire

"If you mix fat and lies, you get Bill, not soap. Throw in some stupid, and it turns to Vince." - ce

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
Slow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 17:03   #14
Goose52
Registered

No need to buy a 1st edition just to give feedback. Be patient and wait for the 2nd edition...
Old January 06, 2018, 13:28   #15
Ramone
Registered

FALaholic #: 51353
I have the 1st edition, and think its a great book for the FN49 owner and shooter. I would like to know more about the slings that were used, and cleaning kits supplied and used by the various countries.
The other think I would like to see is a real example of how the Argentines carried spare 20 round magazines for their converted 49. Looking forward to the 2nd edition!
Ramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 15:24   #16
Goose52
Registered

Good input - thanks!

I will have a bit more coverage on slings - based on those I've seen in period photographs. However, as I mentioned in the first edition, the problem with slings is that there could have been MANY slings used on a particular nations FN-49s and they could vary by armed service, by units within each service, and by era within the rifle's service life. Since I'm trying to tell the story of the rifle itself, I can't go too far down the sling bunny trail.

Same with cleaning kits and accessories. I will have a couple extra photos in the second edition and attribute some of the cleaning stuff to nations based on what I've found in period documents and manuals. But, the info on that stuff is even more limited than slings.

Lastly, on the mag pouches used by Argentina - that type of stuff is outside the scope of the book. BUT, if you visit the following forum in Argentina and search the forum for "SAFN", FN49" etc. you might find a photo or two of pouches attributed to use for FN49 20-round mags. This forum is heavy on militaria including web gear and you might get a kick out of it. I did quite a bit or surfing on this forum as part of my 2nd edition research.
1982 Militaria Forum

Thanks again for the input.

Goose / Wayne J
Old January 06, 2018, 21:54   #17
Ramone
Registered

Thanks Goose. The pouches I use for mine are good old M1956 pouches, 2 mags in each, and they fit great. The only cleaning kit I have is the Belgian tube kit, and that's more for show these days.
I've tried to like the original leather slings, but even after treating them, they seem far too light for use with any of these rifles due to the weight they would have to support. It does look like most countries used about anything they could, and the Enfield sling seems to work best for me. I'll check out that forum to see if they have anything that would have worked for the Argentine 49s in the pouch department.
Old February 18, 2018, 00:50   #18
Timmo
Registered

FALaholic #: 78232
Belgian Congo FN49

Hi Goose I have just picked up an FN49 in 30.06 that I think is Belgian Congo stamped ( FP 1954 ) issue and is serial numbered 2730 in three places. It also has a side plate fitted on the left for a scope but has no scope or rings etc. Not sure if it helps your research but there it is ,,,, cheers Tim

Last edited by Timmo; February 18, 2018 at 00:55.
Timmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018, 01:38   #19
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmo View Post
Hi Goose I have just picked up an FN49 in 30.06 that I think is Belgian Congo stamped ( FP 1954 ) issue and is serial numbered 2730 in three places. It also has a side plate fitted on the left for a scope but has no scope or rings etc. Not sure if it helps your research but there it is ,,,, cheers Tim
WOW! It is indeed a Belgian Congo rifle, and not only that, it's one of only 185 sniper rifles in that contract. AND, it is only the second Congo sniper that has been reported (the other is in South Africa). A VERY rare rifle.

I will have photos of the South African rifle in the upcoming second edition of my book to add to the existing coverage on the Congo sniper from the 1st edition. So, I'm covered for the 2nd ed. but it's good to find out that another of these rifles survived AND I can always use more data on sniper rifles.

Now, does your rifle still have the wood cheekpiece on the stock? Does the stock serial number match the rifle serial number? Do you know any of the backstory of the rifle - how it got to NZ, etc.? Can you send me a few photos of the rifle so I can compare features on your rifle with the South African rifle? Left and right side shots of the receiver area, a shot of the top of the receiver, and a shot of the cheekpiece (if present). I will PM you with my email address.

THANKS for the report and I'm looking forward to learning more about your rifle.
Old February 18, 2018, 04:14   #20
Timmo
Registered

Quote:
WOW! It is indeed a Belgian Congo rifle, and not only that, it's one of only 185 sniper rifles in that contract. AND, it is only the second Congo sniper that has been reported (the other is in South Africa). A VERY rare rifle.

I will have photos of the South African rifle in the upcoming second edition of my book to add to the existing coverage on the Congo sniper from the 1st edition. So, I'm covered for the 2nd ed. but it's good to find out that another of these rifles survived AND I can always use more data on sniper rifles.

Now, does your rifle still have the wood cheekpiece on the stock? Does the stock serial number match the rifle serial number? Do you know any of the backstory of the rifle - how it got to NZ, etc.? Can you send me a few photos of the rifle so I can compare features on your rifle with the South African rifle? Left and right side shots of the receiver area, a shot of the top of the receiver, and a shot of the cheekpiece (if present). I will PM you with my email address.

THANKS for the report and I'm looking forward to learning more about your rifle.
Hi Goose52 there's not much of a story sorry.The last owner bought it 20 years ago at an arms auction that had a consignment of them for sale and they were cheap he said. It doesn't have the cheek piece or the scope but it looks as if it could have been select firing as there is a gap on the right side by the trigger.Also no serial number on the wood so it looks just like a normal FN49. I'll flick you some photos tomorrow ( night here ) and show some detail. The bolt and magazine are still to come.... cheers
Old February 18, 2018, 07:43   #21
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Hi Goose52 there's not much of a story sorry.The last owner bought it 20 years ago at an arms auction that had a consignment of them for sale and they were cheap he said. It doesn't have the cheek piece or the scope but it looks as if it could have been select firing as there is a gap on the right side by the trigger.Also no serial number on the wood so it looks just like a normal FN49. I'll flick you some photos tomorrow ( night here ) and show some detail. The bolt and magazine are still to come.... cheers
Thanks - too bad about the stock. All of the Congo rifles were originally selective-fire.

Looking forward to the photos.
Old February 18, 2018, 09:14   #22
Ramone
Registered

Goose, any idea when you will be releasing the new book, and will it be available here on the files?
Old February 18, 2018, 09:34   #23
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramone View Post
Goose, any idea when you will be releasing the new book, and will it be available here on the files?
It's still too soon to know an exact release date - but mid- to late-summer is as close as I could say for right now.

I will announce the availability of the book here on FAL Files, and I will PM anyone that has posted in this thread as well. The books will be sold by my publisher and he has an on-line ordering system. I'll also let everyone know if/when he would accept pre-orders.

That www.fn49.com URL in my signature takes you to my publisher's web site.

It's close.....
Old February 18, 2018, 10:38   #24
Ramone
Registered

Thanks!
Old February 18, 2018, 12:21   #25
vmtz

Quote:
It's still too soon to know an exact release date - but mid- to late-summer is as close as I could say for right now.

I will announce the availability of the book here on FAL Files, and I will PM anyone that has posted in this thread as well. The books will be sold by my publisher and he has an on-line ordering system. I'll also let everyone know if/when he would accept pre-orders.

That www.fn49.com URL in my signature takes you to my publisher's web site.

It's close.....
Sweet!

Vince
Old February 18, 2018, 19:13   #26
Goose52
Registered

NEW INFO:

Feb. 18, 2018: The publisher's web site now has a page announcing the availability of the book. That page will be periodically updated as we determine final page and image counts, release date, price, etc. The page includes a synopsis of some of the noteworthy additions to the book. There is a link on that page if you want to be notified of a "pre-publication" sale of the book. When you click that link, it will launch an email - just put "FN-49 Book" in the Subject line and ask to be put on the list.

The page is here: Publisher's Second Edition Info
Old February 18, 2018, 20:26   #27
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
I will PM anyone that has posted in this thread as well.
Old February 18, 2018, 20:31   #28
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
You're "in" my man ...
Old February 18, 2018, 21:01   #29
Timmo
Registered

FN49 pics

Quote:
Thanks - too bad about the stock. All of the Congo rifles were originally selective-fire.

Looking forward to the photos.
I have not picked up the magazine or bolt yet.

The bore is quite well used so I'm on the hunt for the right ammo for it ... any pointers appreciated

Sorry but I am having trouble loading the photos got them to photobucket but can't get them on here , flick me an email and I can send to you to show on here if you want ... cheers Tim

Last edited by Timmo; February 18, 2018 at 21:08.
Old February 18, 2018, 22:12   #30
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
I have not picked up the magazine or bolt yet.

The bore is quite well used so I'm on the hunt for the right ammo for it ... any pointers appreciated

Sorry but I am having trouble loading the photos got them to photobucket but can't get them on here , flick me an email and I can send to you to show on here if you want ... cheers Tim
Thanks - the link to your Photobucket account was in my email notification of your post. So, I've seen the 5 photos. The features on your rifle (not including the incorrect stock), match that of the Congo sniper in a museum in South Africa.

On ammunition, the .30-06 chambered rifles were regulated to use standard U.S. .30 M2 ball - so look for that or something similar.

Thanks again for reporting your rifle - it's ALWAYS good to get more data on the genuine sniper rifles...
Old February 19, 2018, 05:45   #31
Timmo
Registered

Quote:
Thanks - the link to your Photobucket account was in my email notification of your post. So, I've seen the 5 photos. The features on your rifle (not including the incorrect stock), match that of the Congo sniper in a museum in South Africa.

On ammunition, the .30-06 chambered rifles were regulated to use standard U.S. .30 M2 ball - so look for that or something similar.

Thanks again for reporting your rifle - it's ALWAYS good to get more data on the genuine sniper rifles...
Hi Goose got the magazine and bolt today and the bolt is the same number as the rifle. Was there much difference in the stock that is on it and what the original stock should look like?
Also is there any data on what the scope and mount looked like , and although I know that the chances are very slim that anything like that will show up here in New Zealand ... you never know ... cheers
Old February 19, 2018, 10:08   #32
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Hi Goose got the magazine and bolt today and the bolt is the same number as the rifle. Was there much difference in the stock that is on it and what the original stock should look like?
Also is there any data on what the scope and mount looked like , and although I know that the chances are very slim that anything like that will show up here in New Zealand ... you never know ... cheers
The original stock was essentially identical to the stock you have now except it had a wood cheekpiece and some relatively complex inletting on the comb to accept the cheekpiece (it wasn't just screwed to the top of an unaltered comb). The scope used was the OIP 4x (similar to that used by Belgium) - I'm still trying to determine the exact model of OIP used by the Congo and hope to have that info before the 2nd edition goes to press. The last part of the equation is the scope mount (that clamps to the base that is on the left side of your rifle) - that was the "large-knob" military Echo mount (rare nowadays).

Spare sniper stocks are very rare (FN only made 750 FN-49 sniper rifles). Even the reproduction cheekpieces which have been produced several times over the years are rare as well. You could get lucky, especially if you focus on finding a stock or cheekpiece in Europe, in getting the rifle back to a configuration similar to the original. But you won't have the original serial-numbered stock, and you would probably have a Belgian-marked OIP scope instead of the correct Congolese scope.

If you perform a web search for "FN-49 sniper OIP" - you will find images of both the stock with wood cheekpiece, the Echo mounts, and the OIP 4x scope.
Old February 19, 2018, 15:21   #33
Timmo
Registered

Quote:
The original stock was essentially identical to the stock you have now except it had a wood cheekpiece and some relatively complex inletting on the comb to accept the cheekpiece (it wasn't just screwed to the top of an unaltered comb). The scope used was the OIP 4x (similar to that used by Belgium) - I'm still trying to determine the exact model of OIP used by the Congo and hope to have that info before the 2nd edition goes to press. The last part of the equation is the scope mount (that clamps to the base that is on the left side of your rifle) - that was the "large-knob" military Echo mount (rare nowadays).

Spare sniper stocks are very rare (FN only made 750 FN-49 sniper rifles). Even the reproduction cheekpieces which have been produced several times over the years are rare as well. You could get lucky, especially if you focus on finding a stock or cheekpiece in Europe, in getting the rifle back to a configuration similar to the original. But you won't have the original serial-numbered stock, and you would probably have a Belgian-marked OIP scope instead of the correct Congolese scope.

If you perform a web search for "FN-49 sniper OIP" - you will find images of both the stock with wood cheek piece, the Echo mounts, and the OIP 4x scope.
Thanks for that info , I think this rifle will be an iron sight shooter from what I have just read. It has a nice trigger to it so looking forward to taking it on the range.The one thing I can get would be an original sling and looking at photos they had a number of different styles. I'll put on an Enfield webbing one until something more genuine comes my way .... cheers
Old February 19, 2018, 15:33   #34
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Thanks for that info , I think this rifle will be an iron sight shooter from what I have just read. It has a nice trigger to it so looking forward to taking it on the range.The one thing I can get would be an original sling and looking at photos they had a number of different styles. I'll put on an Enfield webbing one until something more genuine comes my way .... cheers
Well, Congo standard rifles have been observed in period photos with both that British-pattern webbing sling - as well as the FN-type leather sling. Belgium and Luxembourg used leather slings of the U.S. M1907 pattern on their sniper rifles - but I haven't a clue as to what the Congo might have used on their FN-49 snipers.
Old March 20, 2018, 13:15   #35
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
I'm looking forward to the second edition.
Old March 29, 2018, 15:34   #36
Timmo
Registered

30.06 Reloading Data For FN49s?

Hi again , I've been looking looking online specifically for any 30.06 reloading data for the military semi auto rifles / FN49s. Here in New Zealand the 30.06 was not adopted by our Defence Forces so it's not easy to get. I have scored 100 rounds of Lake City M2 ammo that I'll shoot and build up a reloaded supply so any links or pointers would help.... cheers.
Old March 29, 2018, 16:01   #37
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Hi again , I've been looking looking online specifically for any 30.06 reloading data for the military semi auto rifles / FN49s. Here in New Zealand the 30.06 was not adopted by our Defence Forces so it's not easy to get. I have scored 100 rounds of Lake City M2 ammo that I'll shoot and build up a reloaded supply so any links or pointers would help.... cheers.
In general, handloading the .30-06 cartridge for an FN-49 would follow the same guidelines as for an M1 Garand or other semi-automatic rifles:

-- Use a powder with a medium burning rate appropriate to the cartridge. For the .30-06, the classic starting point would be the various "4895" powders or others in that burning rate range (or whatever equivalent propellants you have in NZ). Powders that are too slow will give too high a pressure at the gas port.

-- Use a bullet weight in the 150 grain (9.5 - 10.0 grams) range. Heavier bullets, like 180 grains, tend to want the slower powders which leads right back to the gas port pressure issue.

-- Use a primer resistant to slam-fires, like the CCI #34 (again, I don't know what you have available in NZ).

-- Load the rounds into the magazine and feed from the mag - never drop a cartridge in the chamber and drop the bolt. This is to minimize risk of slam-fires.

OR, AN ALTERNATE METHOD is to turn the gas cylinder plug to disable gas operation, use reduced powder charges, and operate the rifle as a manually operated repeater. This gives more options on powder selection, and to some degree mitigates (but not eliminate) slam-fire potential.

The major powder/propellant companies in the U.S. all have on-line loading data. Since I don't know what components are available in NZ I can't really provide any links to this data but it's easy to find. Once you determine what components you have access to then you can visit the appropriate web sites.

Lastly, even if you plan to run the rifle with the gas enabled, don't go for max loads. By adjusting the gas, you will probably be able to run the rifle with the listed starting loads. As long as accuracy is acceptable at those velocities, no reason to go faster. You'll save money on powder and your barrel will thank you...
Old March 29, 2018, 16:28   #38
Timmo
Registered

Thanks for that Wayne , I can get all that gear and have some of the powder you mention in my stock as well as CCI primers. One last question with the semis do I also crimp the bullets?.... cheers.
Old March 29, 2018, 17:47   #39
Goose52
Registered

I typically don't crimp as I usually have enough neck tension to resist bullet movement during chambering or from recoil. Not crimping may also extend the brass life a bit as well. However, if on the bullet seating step you're not feeling that you have adequate neck tension, then by all means crimp if the bullet you're using has a cannelure and the cannelure position will give you an acceptable OAL.

Also, I forgot to mention before, you'll want to full-length size but I haven't felt the need to use a small-base sizing die for FN-49 chambers.