The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old May 04, 2017, 14:55   #1
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Armalite ar10 thoughts?

Armalite is selling their defender line of Ar10s with a 16 inch barrel and it looks to have quality specs. It is on sale for 820 now which would be a heck of a deal for a quality ar10. Anybody have experience with it?

Also any suggestions for how to configure it?
Falfan2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2017, 15:53   #2
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
No idea on that model, but I'm thrilled with my Armalite AR103GN18. Sub-MOA and runs like a red-headed raped ape.
Old May 09, 2017, 15:01   #3
Albatross52
Registered

FALaholic #: 79423
I bought one for my son, The Armalite DEF-10 for $900 even. Being military most of my adult life I am an iron sight man. With that being said I purchased parts for 2 different configurations. The rear sights I bought directly from Armalite, an A2 stand alone and a A2 carry handle, The A2 stand alone allows for a absolute co-witness sight/optic option. I removed the Armalite .750 gas block and replaced it with a J.P.Enterprises A2 sight post that has a gas adjustment, the original block and J.P. sight block are both clamp on style.
The Armalite parts are expensive and have options if you look at their website under parts/sights, but can be picked up on ebay a little bit cheaper, the J.P. A2 gas block was $179 shipped. The rifle is crazy accurate and very reliable, and will accept Pmags,lancer mags, or my favorite KAC steel 25's.
Travis
Old May 09, 2017, 20:12   #4
AZ Deuce
Registered

FALaholic #: 40828
I have one of those (Defender 16"), great rifle, very reliable, is more of a combat rifle than a sniper rifle due to it's 1 in 11.25 twist which works great with surplus ammo, most other 308 ARs have 1/10 twists for accuracy with 168 and 175 gr Match ammo.

Life ain't fair, but it sure gets interesting sometimes!
AZ Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017, 08:28   #5
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
When I bought my Armalite AR10-T, it was from the first batch of Armalite AR10's made (mid-90's). My dad was the FFL in the family then, and when he called to order it, they told him they were still being manufactured so I got on the list.

The day it came in, dad called so I headed to Twin Falls, ID were he lived, and we took it out to the range. Dad had a Leupold 2-7x scope laying around and some Factory Winchester Silver Tip 150gr. .308 ammo.
I loaded it and started sighting it in. Dad was spotting for me and I walked the rounds toward the bulls eye. When it was an inch or so above the bulls eye, I fired 3 rounds to see how it grouped. Group size was .470" with those 3 rounds. This rifle will shoot!

The first Armalite AR10-T's had a Mike Rock 5R barrel, which is an excellent barrel but must have been too expensive as they switched manufacturers later. All I've read is the 5R barrels are the most accurate but whatever barrel they're using now is still an accurate barrel.

It's pretty much sat in my safe all these years but now that I have a 200 yard range at my house, I'll be working up a load for it. It sports a Leupold 4-14x50 now.

The only bitch I have about this rifle is it uses the modified M14 mags, and not the newer PMAG style. But, I have many 10 and 20 rounders for it, and have even modified my own M14 mags which work well.
Armalite did have an issue early on with these mags. They had a very rough interior surface and after parkerizing, they didn't feed well. I sent the ten 10-rounders I had at the time back to the factory and they exchanged them. The finish was better but still a little rough. I may have to sand the interiors of them.

All that said, I wouldn't have any issue with any of the new Armalite rifles as long as it uses PMAG's.

"Sticks & stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact."
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017, 22:44   #6
Albatross52
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross52 View Post
I bought one for my son, The Armalite DEF-10 for $900 even. Being military most of my adult life I am an iron sight man. With that being said I purchased parts for 2 different configurations. The rear sights I bought directly from Armalite, an A2 stand alone and a A2 carry handle, The A2 stand alone allows for a absolute co-witness sight/optic option. I removed the Armalite .750 gas block and replaced it with a J.P.Enterprises A2 sight post that has a gas adjustment, the original block and J.P. sight block are both clamp on style.
The Armalite parts are expensive and have options if you look at their website under parts/sights, but can be picked up on ebay a little bit cheaper, the J.P. A2 gas block was $179 shipped. The rifle is crazy accurate and very reliable, and will accept Pmags,lancer mags, or my favorite KAC steel 25's.
Travis
After shooting my sons Armalite AR10A, My daughter just had to have one also. Same set up with the JP Enterprises A2 sightpost with adjustable gas metering, B5 stock, BCM grip etc. this came with a PMag 25 M118. I am in the process of Duracoting hers in stealth grey. Will post more pics when it's finished.
Travis

Old May 28, 2017, 22:47   #7
Albatross52
Registered

Another Armalite acquisition. After several years of looking I finally found an unfired Armalite AR10A2 with the U.S. 5 digit serial number, now known as the B model, takes the original AR10 mags. Came with 1-10,1-20,3-25 rnd. mags.

Old May 29, 2017, 12:16   #8
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Another Armalite acquisition. After several years of looking I finally found an unfired Armalite AR10A2 with the U.S. 5 digit serial number, now known as the B model, takes the original AR10 mags. Came with 1-10,1-20,3-25 rnd. mags.
Your rifle came out second in the line of Armalite AR10's, right after the AR10-T model. I thought about getting one to compliment my AR10-T.

My rifle has the US 5-digit number as well, US 522xx. What does the 5-digit serial number imply?

I know my rifle came from the very first rifles manufactured. We were the FFL and called to place the order. We called later to check on our order, and was told the first ones weren't quite finished, and my rifle was in that batch.
Old May 29, 2017, 13:36   #9
Albatross52
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by idsubgun View Post
Your rifle came out second in the line of Armalite AR10's, right after the AR10-T model. I thought about getting one to compliment my AR10-T.

My rifle has the US 5-digit number as well, US 522xx. What does the 5-digit serial number imply?

I know my rifle came from the very first rifles manufactured. We were the FFL and called to place the order. We called later to check on our order, and was told the first ones weren't quite finished, and my rifle was in that batch.
I was told by one of Aramlite's CEO's, that was a manufacture QC supervisor at the time of the Eagle Arms buy out, That the US 5 digit rifles(3000) were built with the purpose of competing for a Government contract with KAC, we all know how that went. Half were A2 in mid and rifle length, half were in A3 (flat top configuration) as DMR rifles. Does your rifle have Armalite Inc. above the trigger housing? It is my inderstanding that these were built from 1990-1994 before Mark Westrom bought the Armalite brand logo and revived the then in bankrupt company.
I called to complain about the snail service of shipping parts several times only to get rude comments and answers, after 10 months of this and pretty pissed by then, I decided to google Armalite's corporate office and after 2 weeks of leaving messages, I finally received a call. This result was alot of info, better customer service, and my purchasing of one of his personal rifles.
Travis
Old May 29, 2017, 17:09   #10
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I was told by one of Aramlite's CEO's, that was a manufacture QC supervisor at the time of the Eagle Arms buy out, That the US 5 digit rifles(3000) were built with the purpose of competing for a Government contract with KAC, we all know how that went. Half were A2 in mid and rifle length, half were in A3 (flat top configuration) as DMR rifles. Does your rifle have Armalite Inc. above the trigger housing? It is my inderstanding that these were built from 1990-1994 before Mark Westrom bought the Armalite brand logo and revived the then in bankrupt company.
I called to complain about the snail service of shipping parts several times only to get rude comments and answers, after 10 months of this and pretty pissed by then, I decided to google Armalite's corporate office and after 2 weeks of leaving messages, I finally received a call. This result was alot of info, better customer service, and my purchasing of one of his personal rifles.
Travis

Yes, my rifle has Armalite Inc above the trigger.

Old May 29, 2017, 18:03   #11
Albatross52
Registered

Quote:
Yes, my rifle has Armalite Inc above the trigger.

Yours falls into the contract entry group also. I was told that 1100 never left the factory for Mil. testing. After these began civilian production with the USA+5 digit serial numbers. I'll track down ,scan and post the Armalite info I have for you.
Travis
Old May 29, 2017, 18:14   #12
Albatross52
Registered

All of the modern production A and B models are simply marked Armalite, without the Inc.
This is a build I am doing for my daughter,in Stealth Grey, I post more pics when complete.
Old May 29, 2017, 18:45   #13
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Yours falls into the contract entry group also. I was told that 1100 never left the factory for Mil. testing. After these began civilian production with the USA+5 digit serial numbers. I'll track down ,scan and post the Armalite info I have for you.
Travis
Great, I'd like to see that info, thanks.

Old May 29, 2017, 19:19   #14
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
My Bushmaster DCM shoots circles around my AR10T. Diff calibers of course but accuracy is definitely not in the same league
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2017, 09:39   #15
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
My Bushmaster DCM shoots circles around my AR10T. Diff calibers of course but accuracy is definitely not in the same league
I'm sure there are many rifles more accurate. I know the day my rifle came in, dad and I grabbed a Leupold 2-7x scope laying around, and a box of Winchester 150gr. Silver Tips, and headed to the range. While dad called the shots through the spotting scope, I dialed in the scope. On the last three rounds I had shot a .470" 3-round group. Not bad for a brand new rifle with over-the-counter ammo.

The first AR10-T's have a Mike Rock 5R barrel, and wasn't too long after they came out, Armalite changed to another barrel that wasn't as accurate, or expensive. The explanation of trial rifles explains the high dollar barrel in the early rifles.

This rifle has been a safe queen for all this time. I'm building a permanent bench on my shooting range this spring and will be seeing what this rifle can do. I have NO problem saying it will stay up with ANY semi-auto rifle out there IF I do my part.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:42   #16
Albatross52
Registered

Quote:
After shooting my sons Armalite AR10A, My daughter just had to have one also. Same set up with the JP Enterprises A2 sightpost with adjustable gas metering, B5 stock, BCM grip etc. this came with a PMag 25 M118. I am in the process of Duracoting hers in stealth grey. Will post more pics when it's finished.
Travis

This is her completed Armalite AR10 , from the parts and gun above. The quadrail had to be milled out for the gas tube, and the A2 sight pillar is from Armalite.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:27   #17
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
This is her completed Armalite AR10 , from the parts and gun above. The quadrail had to be milled out for the gas tube, and the A2 sight pillar is from Armalite.

Nice! I like it.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:29   #18
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Albatross52, here's a couple photos of my rifle:

Old May 30, 2017, 13:49   #19
gordonm1
Registered

FALaholic #: 11572
I'm happy with my rifle with medium weight chrome lined barrel. I'm not happy it was renamed to a B model or something.

I'm also put off by the cost of a new upper enough that I'll probably sell the gun when the barrel is shot out and get something that is more mainstream and can be rebarreled cheaper.

The current guns are cheaper. I'm not sure about parts and mods for them.
gordonm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 01, 2017, 22:58   #20
Albatross52
Registered

Quote:
Great, I'd like to see that info, thanks.

I found the info you were asking about, but I'll have to get my wife to scan it and email it to me. 5 pages of info. if you PM me your email,I'll gladly forward them to you.
Travis
By the way, Being careful not to permanently modify the gun, and lord knows I sure want to put a 3 prong flash hider on it, i didn't. But I dug out a set of A1 furniture and went to work cutting the handguards back to mid-length.
Travis
Old June 02, 2017, 09:38   #21
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I found the info you were asking about, but I'll have to get my wife to scan it and email it to me. 5 pages of info. if you PM me your email,I'll gladly forward them to you.
Travis
By the way, Being careful not to permanently modify the gun, and lord knows I sure want to put a 3 prong flash hider on it, i didn't. But I dug out a set of A1 furniture and went to work cutting the handguards back to mid-length.
Travis
The rifle is exactly the way it was when it left Armalite. I have a SASS handguard I'll be putting on it but that's not a permanent mod. I have thought many times about threading the barrel but only if I bought a suppressor for it, and I don't see that happening any time soon. Are you saying these rifles demand more dollars then newer ones?

PM sent with email....thanks!

Old June 02, 2017, 23:39   #22
Albatross52
Registered

Finally finished all 3. This one in Desert Sand for my wife.

Old July 09, 2017, 14:17   #23
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Travis
Travis
Did you ever get that info scanned and put into an email?

Old July 09, 2017, 15:14   #24
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Quote:
Did you ever get that info scanned and put into an email?.
I'm very interested also.

Last edited by gentlemanjoe; July 09, 2017 at 21:08.
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 09, 2017, 15:29   #25
Albatross52
Registered

Quote:
Did you ever get that info scanned and put into an email?

She did get them scanned and saved them. To be honest I forgot about them. I'll get her to email them to me tomorrow, and forward them to you.
Travis
Old July 09, 2017, 15:51   #26
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Whew, like seeing a mall ninja AR decorating team...

But then I don't like a rifle all goobered up with crap that it doesn't really need.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 09, 2017, 18:17   #27
Albatross52
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL FAL View Post
But then I don't like a rifle all goobered up with crap that it doesn't really need.
It's very close to the same fitting as the M4 I carried during deployments, with the exception of the light, which is about 300 lumens brighter than the surefire that the M4 had. Same PEQ 15 unit, just less powerful, and the old comp4 sight is absolute co-witness with the iron sights. But then again, maybe you just aren't smart enough to use the right accessories, or you have never had to depend on IR lighting or laser units.
Old July 09, 2017, 19:49   #28
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Hahaha,,,,Hahahahahaha,, Youngster, If You can, I Certainly can.

I was trying to be funny and say you have enough items on the rifle to "Go ARmeGedon" and I know I have a sometimes funny senSAYuma.

I did Fail to mention it is a Good looking all round use rifle, so take whatever However you want.

I should tell you I worked with Nukes in the service and I have used IR more ways than you may have ever thought of in the 70's till present.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 09, 2017, 20:35   #29
Albatross52
Registered

GOTCHA, Wish I was a youngster again. I feel like a high spirited stud that has been gilded most days.
Old August 26, 2017, 09:13   #30
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
ahhhhhh.... a functioning AR 10 using commonly available mags! Well that's another dream that will have to await another lifetime...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats
STGThndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017, 17:29   #31
johnnycobra
Registered

FALaholic #: 26209
Here is my 56xxx Armalite AR10T. It is a 16"
Pictured before I got my Leupold CQT fixed and the rear MBUS Pro on.
Added the newer armalite Keymod HGuard, adjustable gas block, gemtech quickmount FH, BCM Mod 4 charging handle and OD Green MIAD grip.

Last edited by johnnycobra; August 26, 2017 at 17:40.
johnnycobra is offline   Reply With Quote