Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old April 29, 2017, 19:10   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
No Topic Thread

Since the internet Nazi's get all excited over some thread drift here is a thread to post anything that may fall under the topic of survival related items or ideas but don't fit a current topic, don't want to start a topic for an odd thought or photo, etc. Since I am still buying stuff to put into my comprehensive attempt at current body armor trends, testing of materials and how to buy cheap or super light and high threat and expensive will start off with the new British rifle kit that showed up. This is not a body armor thread but will likely see a lot of it as have kits shipping from multiple continents.

The suede patch on right shoulder is the cats meow for shoulering a weapon. No plastic butt stock slipping on slick nylon. It is rated same as IOTV on the soft armor which extends over shoulders and gives neck protection at 9mm submachinegun. The plate pockets can be used for all sorts of items if not using plates. They are sized to hold up to 11'x14' plates.

Rear plate pouch is same as front and both have plenty of molle for attaching stuff to make it extra heavy for an old man to try and hump. Its actually fairly light considering the amount of coverage.

Got two 10"x12" Level 3++ multihit plates rated for 308 ball, M855 green tip and 7.62x39 steel core and as many rounds as has surface area to soak up. Read one test of this plate that showed it defeating six evenly spaced rounds of 308 ball. Actually have two other sets of same plates as get them on the cheap and at 3.6 pounds each they are not miserable to carry around. Heavier than Dyneema but tolerable for even me.

Have two more of the exact same vests in shipping and all are New Old Stock never issued or worn. Purchased this in a large and the next two are a medium and another large. The two coming have 11"x14" plates that are NIJ Level 3 rated for 308 ball, 5.56 ball, etc. Not stated to defeat green tip but purchased an extra just so I can test it myself. Not a big difference in five plates over four and shooting one will give me peace of mind knowing for sure what they stop. The 11"x14" are supposed to weigh 3.9 pounds and my folks are usually spot on with condition, sizes, weights and ratings. Purchased an "A" grade Paca Level 3a concealment vest for $32 on a bidsnipe today, have more snipes set up along with a couple of offers and had four 6"x9" Dyneema special threat plates show up in today's mail with the Brit Kit.

Mentioned on the 13th had an attempted burglary where the thieves attacked my cameras. Got one DVR and four cameras back on line last Sunday which cops reviewed Thursday after an incident at the business next door on Wednesday afternoon. Turned onto my street returning to work about 5:30 pm to see one ambulance and our super High Speed-Low Drag first responders wagon at the bottom of hill then two cars in road and one in parking lot next door and one in my parking lot. Unloaded and reloaded truck for last trip of the day (at work now 8 pm trying to get last of days shop work done to hit field tomorrow wide open) and as pulling out a deputy waved me down. In middle of asking me if my cameras were working and on a DVR the visual of two AR 15's (one a suppressed SBR), a suppressed SIG 9mm in passenger seat and front opening entry vest as seat cover of passenger seat sunk in. Don't think he even saw the SIG on my belt, spare mags or wearing vest under shirt as passenger side view was a bit overwhelming. Next day investigator came and reviewed DVR then took some footage he said was of little use but something on a USB drive.

Today rolled into shop for second load and dang if two biners in hoodies didn't take off toward rear fence fast as greased lighting. Gates were open, middle of day and would not have taken off running and levitated over a six foot fence with barbed wire if not up to something. Cops here again, third time in two weeks and went away with USB drive of two Hispanics in blue jeans and black hoodies. I now know why hoodies have become a year round style. I now lump all people wearing a hoodie into the criminal pile and profile them as a potential threat. Don't have your hoodie up on head and scare me, already got my DEFCON level up two notches.

Weather has got warm and the natives are restless. Soon as get through this big pile of work, outpatient on Friday putting four more cameras on DVR with one more on power pole watching the cameras on the building. Have exterior cameras set up with specific areas of motion detection and when they sense motion I get a notice and can log into them from phone or tablet. Going to have me some thieves all happy when the cops show up and very compliant when they ask questions. Cameras will stop recording about five seconds after get hands on first one of the rats.

Cop writing the report today saw the big stack of Force One, Second Chance, Point Blank, Gall's and Paca boxes and asked if were empty or not. Said it was all new stuff had not decided how to disperse. He also saw the Brit Kit laying on work table for pictures and the plate on scale. Laying on sofa in Ham Shack are a half dozen concealment vests and he made a comment about not ever having too much armor. Showed him the FAL assembly office which kind of rattled him a bit then the new AR 15 area and he said not ever coming in here without an invitation or behind the SWAT team. Mentioned this is not the place to really worry but if ever gets a call for my home address and believes bogies are inside stay outside behind his car and call SWAT, if bad guys are in the house and breached a vault or locking rack it would suck as they will be bullet proof. These have been a really strange couple of weeks. So here is the surviving the goofy world and anything related to that thread. Enjoy, participate or flame away. If gets out of hand will hit the delete tab.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017, 19:47   #2
nopec
Registered

FALaholic #: 72693
I'd worry about police deciding to bankrupt me proving I'm not doing something wrong
nopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017, 22:37   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Too good a relationship. Detective that showed up Thursday to review DVR has investigated three incidents at my place in 15 years. Half the guys over 20 years went to school with and many are used to seeing me behind counter of LGS gunsmithing or handling sales. I am squeaky clean and we still have small town vibe. Can call sheriff and schedule a meet in very reasonable time frame. Know most of the local judges, the D.A. and most importantly the Solicitor. He is the guy who sets the court docket. The "Quality Since 1952" on front of building with multi generational reputation means something. Over a dozen guys on S.O. that use my indoor range.

Marked all the S.O. vehicles for over a decade till got too big for me to handle in a low bid system with a zillion bidders now. One cycle when they were changing body styles pulled two cars in shop with different designs. Every deputy in county had to come by shop, look at both and vote for design they liked best. That was when we first went over 100 patrol officers and many of the guys still remember coming to my shop with every new car or damaged car. I work for local EMA and F.D. as volunteer and try to be all around good guy. Have had many deputies come by shop wanting gunsmith work. Tell them what day will be at LGS and bring there as can't work on guns but mine unless at the FFL shop. Always comp them their labor on smith work at the LGS. When call dispatch most time am on first name basis with whoever answers phone. This is not Los Angeles, its rural north Georgia and a local. Us hillbillies are all related. Am third cousin to all of them by blood or marriage.

Can't be a bad guy in our town and not be known. Went to school here, started business in my name in 1983 and always try to be decent guy. Had a couple odd jobs in past where interacted with them on official basis including range officer duties for some events. Some things can't discuss on Internet but won't be trumping up any charges on me. Would actually have to break the law and be an @$$ about it. Why never left Mayberry. They have enough bad guys to chase that I am no worry and my lawyer works for free. Never charged me a dime for anything. Corporate, wills, car accidents/injury, etc. I don't charge him for my time either. One of the local judges is a bigger hell raiser than I have ever been. Come visit sometime and we will go sip some sweet tea on ice and chat a while. Maybe watch some grass grow or paint dry. Think Trump just has the Amigos stirred up for now.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old April 30, 2017, 09:29   #4
Fn/form
Registered

FALaholic #: 14765
Never heard of the DFNDR 3++ if that's what you have. Saw the Daily Shooter test on their website. Shaving 5-6lbs per front/rear set is pretty good for what it does.
Fn/form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017, 13:49   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

LONG POST WARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fn/form View Post
Never heard of the DFNDR 3++ if that's what you have. Saw the Daily Shooter test on their website. Shaving 5-6lbs per front/rear set is pretty good for what it does.
Waiting on a customer to call and answer a question on a Sunday so...

First realize that NIJ does not have a Level 3+ or 3++ its a manufacturer sub-rating that some use to say in-house testing shows an item exceeds an accepted NIJ standard. Lots of my plates come from Canada, England, Ukraine, Israel and the U.S. Sometimes transposing European ratings into U.S. for ease of discussion or independent testing that supports a + or ++ rating. Also on civilian ballistic materials non body armor is usually rated in U.L. and many plates are made from such materials by mid level companies that can't afford a production run of plates from a subcontractor or are able to manufacture in-house. Many will buy a sheet of ballistic UHMWPE or fiberglass, cut to size then label or do further processing before labeling. Further stirring of pot is most U.S. armor car companies use the European B scale as clients worldwide are more accustomed to it. In addition to NIJ, U.L. 762 and B ratings it gets even more complicated with State Department SD-STD-02.01, ASTM F-1233 and HP White Laboratories HPW-TP 0500.02 for U.S. and likely missed a few. Six scales that don't always have same point in which an item jumps a level. So I do my best to pitch all body armor into best approximation of NIJ and armor barriers in NIJ or U.L. 762.

My favorite body armor soft panels are Level II+. NIJ goes from Level II to IIIa without a rating in between. How each manufacturer defines a + of ++ rating is subjective and why I occasionally burn plates along with soft armor to see what happens. If I buy a NIJ Level 3 rated plates along with a spare and they stop a milsurp 7.62x51 ball round at 25 yards I call it a pass. If shoot same plate with a M855 green tip and it stops it call it 3+. If same plate stops a few 7.62x39 steel core, another round or two of 308 ball then fresh area stops more M855 I call it 3++ which seems to be the general industry standard for the + marks behind a NIJ rating. It amazes me how many people think because NIJ Level 3a is stopping a 240 grain cast lead gas check SWC at 1,400 FPS it stops 44 Mag and all handguns smaller. Have a list of over 50 9mm, 40 Smith, 357 SIG and others that will burn a 3a soft panel easily.

Why I like Level 2 with Dyneema special threat plates that stops all 3a threats and "special threats" such as the over 50 off the shelf rounds now know to defeat 3a. The Level 2 is light, comfortable and will stop most rounds most morons carry or at least take a huge amount of bite out of them as defeat it. Wear a rigid Dyneema 6"x9" special threat plate on front and a 5"x10" or larger level 3a stand alone panel over spine with about half my daily wear vests. Now have ten Level 2 work vests and four Level 2+ dress vests for public functions with mix of 6"x9" special threat and 8"x10" multi-threat plates on front and mix of 3a soft trauma panels in 6"x9" or 8"x10" rear. 99.9% of people never notice am wearing armor and those that do, usually hugging people at church, say its my back brace.

If I wanted in the plate manufacturing game would buy mostly UHMWPE which can be easily cut, machined, formed into complex shapes and other processes that do not hurt it ballistic capabilities. Can buy it from 1/8" through 3/8", 5/16", 1/2", 5/8" and so on up to two inches thick with a few mouse clicks. Throw on CNC, cut a bunch of shapes and sizes leaving less than a pound of scrap and some tailing in the dust collection system. Machine some forms for vacuum molding with minimal heat and be cranking out plates of any size or threat level in=house with equipment already own. The $50,000 per year product liability insurance sure discourages me and most but have called and asked three of the bigger AR500 steel plate manufacturers on fleabay who certified their plates and if they could provide a letter from insurance company stating had product liability and general liability insurance. All said its a known fact that AR500 is Level 3 and they shoot plates on occasion to verify their steel is properly labeled. If I take a Tulammo 7.62x39 lead core dead center of a Level III plate and it runs through it like butter want wife to have a product litigation case against a real company with insurance as opposed to a guy with a plasma cutter zip tied to a Shop-bot carriage and a spray gun full of truck bed liner.

Worse yet were the shipments of Twaron that Force One purchased, tested using the samples sent by vendor but didn't get same material in some shipments as vendors were sending product that had issues rather than scrap it. Force One caught it and recalled all vests made from said material after several lots got out in large numbers and it shut them down. Have vest models, lot numbers and all information on the vests affected. Buy a lot of Force One armor but only after see a picture to verify model, lot number and production date. If label is scrubbed then don't buy it. Hated seeing such a strong vendor in the market shut down by a dot gov agency because of a subcontractors cheating but it happened. FDA didn't shut Coffee-Mate when discovered their Chinese supplier was using lead instead of titanium dioxide as a whitening agent. Crap, I don't want titanium dioxide in my coffee either.

With steel have extreme weight issues, extreme spalling issues and to fix those properly your into the price of a good ceramic plate. I still have a few Level 3 ceramic kits with 4.0 to 4.2 pound plates. Most rifle are Kevlar at 3.2 to 4.6 pounds but my personal stacked out kits that are most likely to be used have 2.2 to 2.9 pound Level 3+ or 3++ plates in 10"x12" or 11"x 14". Usually mix the plates up and put the large plates in front and smaller in rear hoping to be fighting forward.

Odds of ever really needing one of these kits? My guesstimate is 0.001% tops unless society does collapse. Why do I spend so much time and money playing with the stuff? Its just good fun. I enjoy molding my sculptures clay to fit profile of panel, mounting on stand then blasting it to see if stops the bullet or not I stops it them enjoy measuring the diameter and depth of divot in the clay from backface signature and then knowing that plate "x" will stop projectiles "A", "C" and "D" but not "B". If cant get a plate or stack out to fail with a standard battle rifle or poodle shooter then its off to the bullet swaging an reloading bench to see if can create a bullet to load into cartridge "A" that caused said stack to fail. Same with barriers, windows and more. Someday may take what learned an turn it into an occupation but most likely will keep buying plates as armor, shooting and wearing just because I would rather play with armor than watch grown men in tight pants play with some form of a ball or in the case of baseball players, scratching their nads on national television. everyone needs hobbies and many of mine are a odd as I am.

Am constantly having my PM box max out with people asking for advice, thanking me for information or hooking them up with most inexpensive armor that will perform to a given standard. Apparently enough people like to get first hand information so I share it. Like to help good people protect their families. Only thing hurt in the process are inanimate objects and my wallet but for price of taking wife to a movie can burn complete handgun vests with various projectiles. Unless people start caring about other ratings will continue with NIJ approximations on body armor and U.L. occasionally on barriers.

Burned down my last thread because discovered real quickly when purchased my first 40 Smith, 357 SIG and picked up a 9mm seriously for first time in a decade the rules have totally changed due to significant advancements in bullet design. Also bought my first few sets of these 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" Dyneema trauma plates. Entire world of projectiles and armor has changed more since 2010 for me than previous 30 years of playing with guns and armor both. Why my daily carry is a 40 now and when carry my 1911's there are always two magazines of "that dude is wearing armor" on my belt in case penetrating Kevlar becomes more important that nice expansion with a car door or retail counter as best cover a zombie might have.

Just buy a 1991 Desert Storm flack jacket and a 2007 Iraqi Freedom IOTV armor kit and notice that between those two points we went from a miserably heavy vest that would not stop a 9mm pistol to a vest that would take a full burst from a 9mm submachinegun and 7.62x51 ball round in the front, rear and side plates. Fast forward to now and UHMWPE aka Dyneema has advanced us that much again in less than half the time. The last ten years have seen more advancements in armor and projectiles than previous 30 years did. There are some really cool new products about to land in market that will drop price of Dyneema cheap enough to shoot a lot more of it.
Old May 01, 2017, 06:03   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fn/form View Post
Don't see mentioning a particular name brand. Unfamiliar with DFNDR 3++ but have lots of Dyneema from different manufacturers in the level 3a special threat, level 3, 3+ and 3++. Unfortunately to reach level 4 multi-hit a ceramic, Dyneema and other products laminated are used and are heavy. If ever put my level 4 kit on will be sitting in chair. Can take a couple house outside in 3++ Dyneema and have a few products want to try but still way expensive.

This is my level 3++ take one tour around yard, most likely sit and pace floor of house maximum vests.

When swapped from ceramic to Dyneema it gained ability to stop higher threats and lost almost twelve pounds. This next is my general purpose round the yard vest has an 11"×14" level 3+ Dyneema front panel and 10"×12" level 3 rear. Able to actually move around a bit in this vest but has almost every thing a person needs. It is set up with full comms, IFAK (as all have), pistol and carries magazines for CETME rifles for when need iron sighted battle rifles.

This next is another IOTV in woodland and has an 11"×14" level 3+ Dyneema front panel and 10"×12" level 3 rear. It's stacked out a little lighter on equipment load and 5.56 caliber if grab a poodle shooter.

Have another rifle kit stacked out in 6.8 and will have one stacked out with IFAK, comms and set up for metric FAL's and the British kit up top stacked out for inch L1a1's. Will also have a spare black vest and rifle,plates plan to stack out for M1a's with a 1911 on board for that old scool feel. Yes it's goofy for one person to have a rifle vest stacked out for each type rifle uses but if SHTF and a few friends showed up could give each rifle most familiar with and rifle kit to match in just a few minutes. Meanwhile have a lot of fun with them. No time this morning, need to leave for work early but will start working on overt armor and something interesting may happen on road today. Have multiple stops in GA, one in NC and one in SC with a couple more as work way back home. Map quest lays the trip out at over 300 miles today but will likely be sitting as day progresses waiting on calls and fiddling with tablet as have several armor deals and fleabay bid snipes in the works.
Old May 01, 2017, 18:34   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Rolled into the shop a little after six pm from long day in the field to see that the British Supply Depot had sent more items for my Brit Kit today. Was just what the doctor ordered and now have a fully outfitted (well almost, need another radio, headset wires, knife, light, etc) rifle rated armor kit dedicated strictly to inch riFALs. My L1a1's can now be pressed into service without having to strip down the HK/CETME rifle kit or the M1a rifle kit and swap magazines and other accessories. Likely mount my nicer bayonet as a big knife and a multi-tool for general purpose work.

Got all the pouches arriving today mounted and added contents of a standard U.S. issue IFAK along with a few personal medical items as in a days meds, extra stop bleed and a chest seal.

Put four 20 round magazines on board and one 30 rounder. Could get two 30's in the pouch but would not close. Will have to extend the strap a bit. Also stuck a Motorolla two channel business band radio programmed to my leased frequency and a popular frequency I like to monitor. Soon as another radio pouch arrives the used Yaesu quad band H.T. I ordered should be here which after free banding will go wherever I need it to.

All the medical gear stowed, radio sealed up and each 20 round mag is half full and the 30 rounder has 15 rounds which was all I felt like stuffing but has 55 rounds on board and will hold another 50 as configured till alter strap to hold second 30 rounder.

Stuck the thing on the scale with radio, IFAK, magazines, ammo, Level 3+ multi-hit rifle plates and all soft armor in carrier.

Weighs just on the high side of 27 pounds as outfitted and loaded. 50 rounds of 7.62x51 NATO Ball Ammo weighs 2.675 pounds so if stuff all five magazines including the 30 rounder to max capacity it would have 105 rounds and still weigh about a 1/10th to 1/4 pound shy of 30 pounds. I can carry more weight than that up a tower clipped to my harness and in a backpack. A vest loads up and distributes weight much better and this one is super comfortable. Thus I am calling this a dead even 30 pound kit with a combat load out and plates.

As mentioned have two more of these coming and assume the medium will be lighter and especially if use Dyneema rather than the hybrid plates using now which are Dyneema layers and Kevlar layers mashed together and bonded with some form of resin or glue and pressure. Also ordered two similar kits that don't have the extended sleeves or neck yoke. Look more like a standard IOTV without any accessory armor. Sure those will be lighter and cooler. but no shoulder, upper arm and neck protection. In summer hot sun have to think about heat stroke so less can be more. Water is one thing this is mising but plenty of room in rear plate pouch to drop a water bladder which will round one up soon as time to pilfer the piles.

Overall am impressed with the kit, going to be nice to have Brit Kits for my Brit L1a1 riFALs and my hook-up is supposed to be getting me one or two of each style in the British version of Multicam for our green world here in North Georgia or at least the covers and can swap armor out of a couple of the desert kits. Every single piece is un-issued NOS and very pleased with price and quality. Hope the nest four kits are as nice. If nothing else will look different than most next Halloween.
Old May 01, 2017, 19:06   #8
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Does that vest make you look fat or is it slimming?

When I consider purchasing gear, how it makes me look is more important than functionality.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2017, 19:35   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Had some people see me after surgery recently and were stunned. Don't wear armor to surgical center so always look 20 pounds heavier than actually am. At 5' 11" and 170 pounds don't worry about looking fat though am due for my big summer melt off. Generally put on 10 to 15 pounds over winter then sweat if off during summer. By fall am usually around 158 to 163. In U.S. it gets you profiled as a meth user because Americans are supposed to be fat. Its a rule I have been told. Fat by 40.

Edit:
Usually if facing me wearing such a kit the big rifle is pointed at you and will distract your attention from whether bearer of a battle rifle is fat or not....
Old May 01, 2017, 20:35   #10
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post

Edit:
Usually if facing me wearing such a kit the big rifle is pointed at you and will distract your attention from whether bearer of a battle rifle is fat or not....
I dunno, if you looked fat and dorky while pointing a battle rifle at me, I might be judgmental regardless.
Old May 02, 2017, 08:56   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

This kit was bought specifically to use with a pristine L1a1 that even if it's owner looks dorky, any true riFAL conneseur would at a minimum be staring at the L1a1 with awe and envy even if not terrified that it's owner is known to be somewhat sketchy and have an itchy trigger finger. My "guy" says Brit are surplusing the desert kits first but expects Brit version of Multicam soon. He has great prices and cheap shipping just a slow boat. Has to sell to American civilian market or go through hoops to sell to any country that can drive to middle east as that's where it will end up. Selling the NOS kits first then will sell the used in batches to approved African Nation and South American armies/police. Plenty of morons like me that will wallpaper their house here in U.S. with the stuff.

Now to stack out a kit for the Aussie, they hated their MCBAS so bad all their Afganistan troops have been issued U.S. made Eagle kits till recently. They now have a new TBAS kit which is much lighter for foot patrols. Don't feel right using Eagle with the Aussie and bet a bunch of MCBAS will be available cheap soon but if their young fighting bucks hate it know an old man will. Like these countries that outlaw body armor for civilians so surplus it all to American market, give to third world nation puppet troops or it ends up on black market being sold to towel head terrorists to use against the people that made it. Of course a MCBAS with armor switched to a better plate may be tolerable.

Little rough but worthy Aussie chick if sharing a foxhole in Afganistan with. Publicity shots from initial issue of the new kits in Afganistan. Every Aussie chick find in the new TBAS is a redhead. Them redheads like to scrap.

Old May 02, 2017, 19:00   #12
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

I would never laugh at or judge a red-head pointing a rifle at me. I'm not stupid, even if her LBE made her look fat.
Old May 02, 2017, 19:29   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
I would never laugh at or judge a red-head pointing a rifle at me. I'm not stupid, even if her LBE made her look fat.
All this time I thought you were a total idiot and suddenly you show an immense amount of common sense. Dang redhead in a tizzy is more dangerous than a rattlesnake thats been pissed on. Just imagine a half dozen in a platoon getting on the same cycle and some rag heads setting them off while on their period... War would be over in about 30 minutes.
Old May 02, 2017, 22:06   #14
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
All this time I thought you were a total idiot ....
That's OK, you've been confirmed as one, Walter. But, we like you any way, at least when you use proper grammar.
Old May 02, 2017, 22:12   #15
tdb59
Does this smell funny ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
I dunno, if you looked fat and dorky while pointing a battle rifle at me, I might be judgmental regardless.
As opposed to slim, dorky, and pointing a shotgun ?

We are very confused.

Lawd, help me !

Wanna get pancakes ?

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2017, 05:29   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
That's OK, you've been confirmed as one, Walter. But, we like you any way, at least when you use proper grammar.
Sorry, but proper grammar is for people with no content and need an reason to support weak content by demonstrating their profecincy with a writers handbook. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, E.E. Cumming (didn't capitilize), William Faulkner, H. L. Mencken, William Shakespeare, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, James Joyce, Cormac McCarthy (called punctuation "weird little marks"), José Saramago ( said this about punctuation "Punctuation … is like traffic signs, too much of it distracted you from the road on which you traveled.”), Marcel Proust, Samuel Beckett, Junot Díaz (M.I.T. writing professor and author who will spank your @$$ if bust him for punctuation and grammer, it's not the real world), Gertrude Stein and many many more popular, Pulitzer Prize and Nobel Laureate writers that call grammer rules and punctuation distracting, unnecessary and for for Nazi's who have nothing better to do than pick at others due to some insecurity. Good content and interesting subject matter nor the real world needs a writers handbook.
Old May 03, 2017, 07:46   #17
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Sorry, but proper grammar is for people with no content and need an reason to support weak content by demonstrating their profecincy with a writers handbook. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, E.E. Cumming (didn't capitilize), William Faulkner, H. L. Mencken, William Shakespeare, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, James Joyce, Cormac McCarthy (called punctuation "weird little marks"), José Saramago ( said this about punctuation "Punctuation … is like traffic signs, too much of it distracted you from the road on which you traveled.”), Marcel Proust, Samuel Beckett, Junot Díaz (M.I.T. writing professor and author who will spank your @$$ if bust him for punctuation and grammer, it's not the real world), Gertrude Stein and many many more popular, Pulitzer Prize and Nobel Laureate writers that call grammer rules and punctuation distracting, unnecessary and for for Nazi's who have nothing better to do than pick at others due to some insecurity. Good content and interesting subject matter nor the real world needs a writers handbook.
That you place the "wall of words" you post in the company of some (not all) talented writers, is further evidence of your looniness.

The delusion is deep Walter.

It's time to eat, Grandma.

It's time to eat Grandma.

Punctuation, saving lives on a daily basis.
Old May 03, 2017, 07:48   #18
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
As opposed to slim, dorky, and pointing a shotgun ?

We are very confused.

Lawd, help me !

Meh, shotguns are sissy guns, teh FAL is the most venerable battle rifle on the planet. It is the most dangerous weapon.
Old May 03, 2017, 12:37   #19
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
That you place the "wall of words" you post in the company of some (not all) talented writers, is further evidence of your looniness.
The delusion is deep Walter.
(Trim)
Punctuation, saving lives on a daily basis.
Never placed myself in their league, just used as reference showing punctuation is mostly for people needing something to b!tch about usually due to some insecurity about content of their writing. Would rather let some read parts, some none and others every word so message attempting to convey is complete. Am used to an editor telling me how many words have column space for such as 600 words or 1,200 and three photographs. In those cases would send 900 and 1,600 words with six to eight photos and let the editor choose what to leave on the cutting room floor. Nost published periodical 70% of the time would run it all and drop something else so could use six pictures and 90% of the words submitted till internet killed print media and no budget for freelance work.

Saving lives? Spent over two decades in rescue which went from field work to communications work. Sending digital data over radio via an MS Word .doc or .docx document took 10-15x more time than a Wordpad .txt file. A one minute file became a 13 minute file to send. You may be too young to remember Usenet which preceded internet and email but if capitalized letters, used punctuation your message would take three to four times longer to send and odds of a packet dropping thus losing entire message went up drastically.

Quote:
Use UPPER CASE characters sparingly. You'll increase transmit speed and improve the likelihood of proper decoding on the other end by using lower case text as much as possible. (For example, the difference between a lowercase “e” (11) and an uppercase “E” (1110111) is three times more bits.)
Thus every capital letter takes three times as long to send as lowercase. We only use upper case if its mandatory. When start sending emcomm via digital radio or phone (thats voice for non radio folk) everything gets edited down to bare minimum word count, capital letters and punctuation. Every second added to a radio message increases odds of packet loss and checksum doesn't match which means doing it all over. When open Wordpad or similar basic word processing program get very specific and brief. May only get one shot at a clear window into Haiti following an earthquake or Gulf Coast during/following a hurricane and better get the messages through the first time.

The internet and discussion groups are nothing but bloatware and a wall of text hurts nothing as carriers don't charge by the byte anymore. Get more PM's from people who appreciate detailed information than get complaints. People can block me, read header and a few words to see if any interest in subject matter or read every word multiple times then save for future reference. I pay every year to use the site and until told am in violation of site rules will post how I see fit for a subject. On rare occasion can get a post done in two or three sentences but when dealing with the likes of you, if don't spell it out in detail won't get the message.

Have taken to placing a warning in title box of longer posts so people have fair warning. Still type 45 wpm even with arthritic hands so spewing is easy. Abandoning Usenet and embracing internet has caused me to significantly change how detailed posts can be. Get excited when discuss radar hacking or seismic motion sensor systems and such. The scroll wheel will take folks uninterested through really fast. The block feature and will never see my posts again except for when people hit "quote" tab and re-post entire wall to complain about it without trimming. I trimmed your little post as its proper netiquette. (wow, netiquette is a real word now, spell checker didn't bow up) Try to trim all quotes and hope some, actually all, will learn to trim all quotes.

Another reason for the No Topic thread. Can drift, flame each other, bust out a wall of text, post pics of redhead Aussie fighting chicks instead of Israeli female soldiers in bikinis or their underwear. Must be getting old as much rather see a chick in her current battle gear than bikini. will go to a different site for that. Seeing how a female stacks out a full combat load helps an old man learn how to pack lighter maybe without using hardtail for an example.
Old May 03, 2017, 12:52   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Meh, shotguns are sissy guns, teh FAL is the most venerable battle rifle on the planet. It is the most dangerous weapon.
Going to have to post pics of the Meatgrinder sometime. One of less than six guns out of over 100 that have earned names. Like Old Ugly another scatter-gun. The Meatgrinder is an older Browning A5 with a +8 capacity tube loaded every other round with Duplex rounds and flechettes. My duplex loads are a mix of #4 buckshot and BB's and the flechettes are stacked with as many Vietnam war era steel darts as possible and will run though soft body armor like the needle used to sew it together. 13 rounds of that getting dumped at an intruder and will take genetic testing to figure out what it was. Gotta get my XRail mounted on the Benelli and have a 20+ round scattergun leaned up with the others.

Proper tool for the job at hand. If zombies are wearing similar rifle kits as mine then the Meatgrinder will get them all perforated enough they will be screaming for mommy and be serious about it. Most likely tool will be a 6.8 AR with dot or 5.56 AR with night vision then choose between scatter-guns or short barrel FAL with a can, HK without can or let wife go loco with her 5.7x28 AR or 7.62x39 Commiegun and not even get out of the bed. She might grab the SBR with can and binary trigger....
Old May 03, 2017, 12:57   #21
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
... showing punctuation is mostly for people needing something to b!tch about usually due to some insecurity about content of their writing....
Doubtful. The intelligent and articulate people I know on this board who generally use impeccable punctuation, like Gunplumber, Brunop, and Tdb59 don't suffer from any insecurity about the content of their writing.

More likely, folks who post a wall of words are trying to mask an insecurity about something.
Old May 03, 2017, 13:02   #22
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Going to have to post pics of the Meatgrinder sometime. One of less than six guns out of over 100 that have earned names. Like Old Ugly another scatter-gun. The Meatgrinder is an older Browning A5 with a +8 capacity tube loaded every other round with Duplex rounds and flechettes. My duplex loads are a mix of #4 buckshot and BB's and the flechettes are stacked with as many Vietnam war era steel darts as possible and will run though soft body armor like the needle used to sew it together. 13 rounds of that getting dumped at an intruder and will take genetic testing to figure out what it was. Gotta get my XRail mounted on the Benelli and have a 20+ round scattergun leaned up with the others.

Proper tool for the job at hand. If zombies are wearing similar rifle kits as mine then the Meatgrinder will get them all perforated enough they will be screaming for mommy and be serious about it. Most likely tool will be a 6.8 AR with dot or 5.56 AR with night vision then choose between scatter-guns or short barrel FAL with a can, HK without can or let wife go loco with her 5.7x28 AR or 7.62x39 Commiegun and not even get out of the bed. She might grab the SBR with can and binary trigger....
Post a video of you shooting the El Prez with the meat grinder or it didn't happen.
Old May 03, 2017, 13:11   #23
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Quote:
Doubtful. The intelligent and articulate people I know on this board who generally use impeccable punctuation, like Gunplumber, Brunop, and Tdb59 don't suffer from any insecurity about the content of their writing.

More likely, folks who post a wall of words are trying to mask an insecurity about something.
So, is all the BS a new begining since G1 isn't here for for you? Your emanence?
Old May 03, 2017, 13:28   #24
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
So, is all the BS a new begining since G1 isn't here for for you? Your emanence?
Trolling again BJ?

Me and Huey go way back.

Do you need some attention too?
Old May 03, 2017, 13:54   #25
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Trolling again BJ?

Me and Huey go way back.

Do you need some attention too?
It just reads like you are trolling Huey, no I don't need the attention. You are missing a great Sean Spicer fight on now...
Old May 03, 2017, 15:46   #26
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
It just reads like you are trolling Huey, no I don't need the attention. You are missing a great Sean Spicer fight on now...
Nah, but when he starts a thread with a title "No topic Thread", he should expect some deviation.

Sean Spicer? Must be the unbiased, unspun, unabated truth ... like coming from the mouth of God Himself... or so you would think.
Old May 03, 2017, 16:00   #27
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Nah, but when he starts a thread with a title "No topic Thread", he should expect some deviation.

Sean Spicer? Must be the unbiased, unspun, unabated truth ... like coming from the mouth of God Himself... or so you would think.
Huey seems committed to what he believes and post a great deal of information and over time I don't recall you posting anything near as good or even putting some effort into a thread. That's why I mentioned troll.

Did you know they polled the Whitehouse press Corp and found out there was not one person who is republican? Do you think you are getting the truth from the media when not one of them is conservative, not one? Today's conference had picture proof of lies by the media about Trump's budget and the wall. The hundreds of millions being spent on the border to put new wall up.

If you didn't see the conference then you won't see it in the media and all the rest that you missed won't be there either. So where does that leave an educated man such as yourself but uninformed.
Old May 03, 2017, 16:09   #28
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
As long as the little cry baby is chasing me about punctuation in the "not a thread that matters" he will have lees time to aggravate others who have more important missions to fill. GP needs to be sharing his FN FAL and AK expertise as others need t be sharing their particular skill sets. I will mostly keep this thread pointed toward survival as body armor, proper long gun for the job, and other such ideas do relate to survival in the here and now or post SHTF except when trolls decide to show their ignorance. Can anyone show me a thread where rowjimmy actually passed on any real knowledge that helped others with firearms or survival systems? I haven't seen it yet. Seems his only ability is to troll and he isn't even really good at that as has to steal content from GP, Nutzz or any number of people that can dish an original and quality internet spanking.

I don't claim to be a master of any trade but can help folks with basic AR questions, communications and electronics systems, especially hacking commonly found systems into situational awareness tools. Would like to see jimmy tear into a smoked marine radar system, fix it then modify it into a ground o air or ground only unit with set parameters of radone sweep. Maybe build a 6 meter Moxon that a buddy that contests can score top ten in a national 6 meter event or lay out a ground-plane and then cut a rock solid 75/80 meter NVIS antenna that can run without a tuner and not smoke the tubes in a big amp.

Coming along with my FN knowledge, especially procuring parts. Now getting into the actual completion of properly built kits from the big pile-o-parts. Can at least pick something up and know if it goes in the metric or inch pile which is something. While ability to buy a rifle shows no skill other than transfering funds sure my collection of riFALs makes his pale. He is in here picking on me because nobody really cares and glad to see him out of their threads. He needs to do some more research so can parrot other quality internet flame throwers content as can't seem to come up with any original material. I will bore quickly of this two trick poney repeating the same half dozen flames he has read from others. So if troll me is what he wants to do, I will keep him occupied for the moment like a cat with a string. Have truck loaded so need to wander back into the void of work, will check to see if he has anything new when time.

So to throw some survival/gun content into the post here are the trigger kits that showed up today.

Three milspec AR Stoner Enhanced Trigger Groups, PTFE Infused Hard Nickel Plated and 5.5 pound pull. will square the sear and hammer engagement and hit with a little lapping compound then replace the hammer and disconnector springs with those from the JP 3.5 Enhanced Reliability Kits and have my pretty standard 3.3 pound pull AR trigger. Usually install over-travel stops internally so trigger has a little creep, breaks clean just under 3.5 pounds and zero over-travel. When run out of good OEM take outs its my trigger kit of choice and for $40 sure is a sweet trigger. With the two Franklin Binary Trigger groups that showed up yesterday when get caught up with work should keep me building AR's for a month or so.

Did three triggers yesterday which knocked my AR inventory down to two triggers so the five new kits were badly needed. And this is a survival topic because a pile of rifles with good triggers will likely be of use when the SHTF. Got paid yesterday in store credit and signed up a new manufacturer to LGS line of goods by placing opening order out of my pocket. When told he nice person dealing with all items were personal they knocked $10 per item off below wholesale as part of their shop employee purchasing program. Part time job at the LGS really helps when have a gun addiction that can't ever be fully scratched. I work for free or store credit when they need help and get to buy at employee prices and get to hang out at the smith counter or behind a sales counter in the process. Beats standing on the retail side paying retail but I try to be useful and drag in business. I guess thats survival related too. Keeping a part time job to support your addiction to survival toys.
Old May 04, 2017, 04:59   #29
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Before leaving to last jobs of the day USPS ran with a new piece of summer armor. June, July and August get miserable in the south so outside days I drop from level 2 to level 2a and from size medium to size small. The thinner vest with smaller panels that don't overlap on sides allows the body to vent and still protects large amount of vitals to 9mm and 357 Mag. Since most folKS tend toward 380 pocket pistols, especially when it's hot call it good enough for daily wear, trauma plate will still protect heart and lot of lungs plus if hit with threat level 2a doesn't stop might take enough sting out of the hit that increases odds of survival.

Always liked PACA as well put together, easy to pull plates for washing carrier and wiping down panels. Velcro holds tight and this vest has manufacturing date of 2015 so could not have been worn much. No LEO markings in it so assume private security or private individual was original owner. The next cool thing in box was some of the new Safariland/Protech special threat plates that are flexible. Stops all handgun threats stand alone including hot 9mm, 40 Smith, 357 SIG and more. So the thin flexible plates in my summer hot sun vests will keep,the heart and much of the lungs protected from all handgun penetration and are so flexible going to start running in rear panels to protect spine instead of level 3a Kevlar.

It's very flexible and here have it bent toward wearer.

Here it's flexed away from wearer and will almost roll up but had to let go to take photo.

Here flexed it along its other axis and no matter how you twist and bend these new special threat plates are going to be super comfortable.

Last new item in yesterday's box were some newer Diamondback High Threat plates which purchased mainly out of curiosity. Very light, thick and have texture of a sponge probably going to shoot these as thickness is not attractive except maybe for side plates in rifle armor.

Here are some of the special threats this plate stops stand alone. All of these are known to burn level 3a 44 magnum rated armor.

It's pretty thick even if way light.

Old May 04, 2017, 09:43   #30
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Huey seems committed to what he believes and post a great deal of information and over time I don't recall you posting anything near as good or even putting some effort into a thread. That's why I mentioned troll.
Yes, Huey shares a fair amount of his knowledge and expertise, no doubt. and a lot of it is correct.

What would you like me to share? What can I help you with?

Quote:
...Did you know they polled the Whitehouse press Corp and found out there was not one person who is republican? Do you think you are getting the truth from the media when not one of them is conservative, not one? Today's conference had picture proof of lies by the media about Trump's budget and the wall. The hundreds of millions being spent on the border to put new wall up.

If you didn't see the conference then you won't see it in the media and all the rest that you missed won't be there either. So where does that leave an educated man such as yourself but uninformed.
The thing you seem to be uninformed about is the lack of substantial difference between the repubs and dems, including Trump. That you so readily buy into Spicer's spin of events is even further evidenced you are being bamboozled.

Why did Trump bomb Syria?
Old May 04, 2017, 10:08   #31
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
As long as the little cry baby is chasing me about punctuation in the "not a thread that matters" he will have lees time to aggravate others who have more important missions to fill. GP needs to be sharing his FN FAL and AK expertise as others need t be sharing their particular skill sets.
No doubt GP has serious knowledge and skills. It's kind of cute that he berates you, calls you a pathological liar, and yet you still act like you want to suck him off. Are you hoping he beats you with his cudgel? Do you like it rough?

I'm a cry baby? Hell, you're point in starting this thread was because you were whining about others calling you to task for thread diversion.

Quote:
..I will mostly keep this thread pointed toward survival as body armor, proper long gun for the job, and other such ideas do relate to survival in the here and now or post SHTF except when trolls decide to show their ignorance. Can anyone show me a thread where rowjimmy actually passed on any real knowledge that helped others with firearms or survival systems?
I offered to give you some pointers on defensive handgun shooting, but you're afraid to post up a video of you shooting the El Prez.

Want another tip, don't let your dyneema get over 180 degrees F. (It's not the best choice as armor.) Also, I've not seen you mention this, but you better use spall guards with that crap unless you want face and throat lacerations from impact.

If you want the best level III plates out there, get Armored Mobility Inc. plates. They put 3 mm of steel over compressed dyneema and have no detectable spall in testing.

You're welcome, I probably just saved your life when you and your wife are attacked by the marauding hordes.

But, if you look back, I've contributed a bit in regard to some of these issues. I see no reason to hash over what has been discussed here ad nauseum.

We've had good discussions on well pumps to draw water, food storage, and fitness, etc...

Quote:
.. I haven't seen it yet. Seems his only ability is to troll and he isn't even really good at that as has to steal content from GP, Nutzz or any number of people that can dish an original and quality internet spanking.
You haven't been around long enough. I'm not "stealing" anything from anyone. If the moniker of Walter Mitty fits, you should wear it. It's funny, GP is a funny guy.

Quote:
..I don't claim to be a master of any trade but can help folks with basic AR questions, communications and electronics systems, especially hacking commonly found systems into situational awareness tools. Would like to see jimmy tear into a smoked marine radar system, fix it then modify it into a ground o air or ground only unit with set parameters of radone sweep. Maybe build a 6 meter Moxon that a buddy that contests can score top ten in a national 6 meter event or lay out a ground-plane and then cut a rock solid 75/80 meter NVIS antenna that can run without a tuner and not smoke the tubes in a big amp.

You're right, I don't maintain this skill, but could learn it had I a need or desire. I used to make microwave waveguide antennae in physics lab and have a working knowledge of electronic systems, circuits, and E-M waves. You act like you maintain some superior knowledge of these things. Physics may astound someone like you and you think it's magic, me, not so much.

But, you do contribute some good knowledge on occasion, I'll not dispute that.
Old May 04, 2017, 10:51   #32
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

You know I wouldn't play if knew this is just internet jousting. If take my banter serious then I might have to take yours serious. Trying to hurl some innocent insults back and forth without it becoming personal. Won't talk about your momma, wife, kids or even your dog. Expect the same but otherwise long as it's clean, will bat the ball back to your side of net as time allows. Today am working on road in rain again thus have to be brief. I leave plenty of meat on the bones for you to pick something new and original. Walter Mitty, shooting for a Utube video, posting pics have never posted of my own accord are things will not be goaded into. Gotta get pointed toward next location, do me a favor and let's keep one out of three posts about something survival related.
Old May 04, 2017, 10:59   #33
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
You know I wouldn't play if knew this is just internet jousting. If take my banter serious then I might have to take yours serious. Trying to hurl some innocent insults back and forth without it becoming personal. Won't talk about your momma, wife, kids or even your dog. Expect the same but otherwise long as it's clean, will bat the ball back to your side of net as time allows. Today am working on road in rain again thus have to be brief. I leave plenty of meat on the bones for you to pick something new and original. Walter Mitty, shooting for a Utube video, posting pics have never posted of my own accord are things will not be goaded into. Gotta get pointed toward next location, do me a favor and let's keep one out of three posts about something survival related.
If you're taking any of this personally and not laughing about it, you're doing it wrong.
Old May 04, 2017, 11:02   #34
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Not knowing the storage conditions of some of the body armor, I'd be apprehensive buying anything used. You're PROBABLY OK, but, what if it's not?

I'd stay away from polyethelene armor in general, NEVER buy zylon.
Old May 04, 2017, 11:02   #35
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Yes, Huey shares a fair amount of his knowledge and expertise, no doubt. and a lot of it is correct.

What would you like me to share? What can I help you with?

The thing you seem to be uninformed about is the lack of substantial difference between the repubs and dems, including Trump. That you so readily buy into Spicer's spin of events is even further evidenced you are being bamboozled.

Why did Trump bomb Syria?
About the only thing you share in the threads is your two different attitudes. You want to be the jock in school and think you are better than anyone else your emanence. Yet when it comes to real knowledge on a subject you bypass it for your own opinion. Your insults to Huey are not returned in a like manner and I give him high numbers in survival because he has a personality that will survive around people.

Decent people will work together and Huey comes across pretty decent.

Another point about survival is recognizing change. History has many instances where living the old ways cost many lives and it's because they didn't see the changes around them. Trump is a change you have never seen in your lifetime but you still live in the past. Everyone is a liar but you in your mind but fact is you are lying to yourself.

Might I suggest you increase your D vitamin intake as it will take some of your problem away. Living an indoor life smelling farts and no sunshine tends to bring on attitudes not conducive to good living. D won't change the core rectom you are but it does make it not such a sharp edge. No offense now, and if you look at yourself you will agree that the way you insulted Huey was just pure rectom on your behalf.
Old May 04, 2017, 11:15   #36
tdb59
Does this smell funny ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:

I'm a cry baby? Hell, you're point in starting this thread was because you were whining about others calling you to task for thread diversion.

Damn, boy.

Wanna get pancakes ?

Old May 04, 2017, 11:38   #37
Bawana jim
Registered

I like the steel plate holders because you can use them so many ways. If you hang them over the seat of the pickup in the right way you get good protection from behind. Some armour are light but only take a couple a hits before penatration but steel last better. Having worn regular body armour and steel inserts on a dayly basis for months I figure the steel is good enough against small arms fire here.

Kevlar is just too hot.
Old May 04, 2017, 12:11   #38
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:

Decent people will work together and Huey comes across pretty decent.

I'm just going to buy allegiance with food. I'm going to pay my protective detail in food when it all goes South. I've thought this through.
Old May 04, 2017, 12:13   #39
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
Damn, boy.

Spellin, grammer, punctuashun, none it matters.

You shallow.
Old May 04, 2017, 12:56   #40
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
I'm just going to buy allegiance with food. I'm going to pay my protective detail in food when it all goes South. I've thought this through.
Food will be money in a real crisis and I could hire folks who will work for food. It will give them self respect to not need charity and will bring a bond in the long run. However your running a whore house useing another man's family seems like a real winner..

Really though I would check into your health. I worked around a lot of different people going contract to contact and because I see differences you have shown some of those. Bob Cambell was an asshole to work around and nothing in the world was good enough for him. He hated people and talked abusive to them while constantly living in anger. Just like gunplumber. Bob died in his chair after work at about age 50.

Asshole behavior is a sign of failing health.

Let me use one more good example of why you need vitamin D since you live in the east coast hell. Tb59 or terry exibits the picture of health in his post, healthy and happy and doesn't fight like a spoiled brat. See Terry lives in the sun country and it gives good health to soak it in. Ya you could say plumber does too but it's too hot down there to get out much plus he works indoors. Terry lives where the sun shines and the temp changes, in person he is the picture of health.
Old May 04, 2017, 14:01   #41
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Food will be money in a real crisis and I could hire folks who will work for food. It will give them self respect to not need charity and will bring a bond in the long run. However your running a whore house useing another man's family seems like a real winner..

Really though I would check into your health. I worked around a lot of different people going contract to contact and because I see differences you have shown some of those. Bob Cambell was an asshole to work around and nothing in the world was good enough for him. He hated people and talked abusive to them while constantly living in anger. Just like gunplumber. Bob died in his chair after work at about age 50.

Asshole behavior is a sign of failing health.

Let me use one more good example of why you need vitamin D since you live in the east coast hell. Tb59 or terry exibits the picture of health in his post, healthy and happy and doesn't fight like a spoiled brat. See Terry lives in the sun country and it gives good health to soak it in. Ya you could say plumber does too but it's too hot down there to get out much plus he works indoors. Terry lives where the sun shines and the temp changes, in person he is the picture of health.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have it looked into.

I knew you cared about me.
Old May 04, 2017, 14:05   #42
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I'll have it looked into.

I knew you cared about me.
it's better for all of us if you get better health.
Old May 04, 2017, 14:12   #43
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Except for when it rains I work out in Georgia hot sun 6 months of the year. Two months of fall, two of winter and two of spring. I like being able to go from 50 degrees at house to foot of snow and good ice climbing above 5,000 feet in 90 minutes. Western NC gets almost 4 months of winter on occasion and that's two to three hours drive.

20 minutes drive and 20 minutes walking from house.

Under one hour drive and one minute walk from house.

If your worried about storage conditions of armor then not fully educated, nor have you shot many Kevlar vests. Recently purchased a vest panels were dated 1996 manufacture date. Owner said issued when first joined force, wore whenever on patrol or investigation after promoted for 20 years then carried in trunk of his car for last ten years on force. Sold on fleabay within week of retiring. He lived/worked in south Florida where conditions of car truck had to be worst possible. Were nasty, crusty and stopped every round was originally rated for. Level 2 and stopped 128 grain 357 Mag, 127 grain 9mm H.P. at 1050 fps, Hornady Critical Defense 380 which is hotest 380 round fired thus far but 40 Smith and special threat ammo shredded what was left. Bought a toasted and crispy 1999 dated level 3a and stopped a 240 grain 44 Mag cast SWC per NIJ specifications along with all traditional 357 Magnum, 9mm and threats per NIJ standards but special threat rounds shredded it.

Got two more of the Brit kits this morning with five rifle plates, one is dedicated to live fire testing with my FAL, AR in 5.56 and 7.62×39. Never had a name brand panel or plate fail except the odd lots.that NIJ caught like the shipments of Chinese Zylon but don't buy Zylon for anything but targets even if a U.S. made and tested lot because age does affect it. Most of my armor sales are to repo guys and bondsmen who purchased a carrier with steel plates and wore one or two shifts. Put a set of steel plates with no flexibility and do hard manual labor two days in a row. It is miserable and I paint every piece I get in trade white and use for targets. Just the spall after first round knocks the truck bed liner off the plate will shred your neck, chin, face, groin and thighs. If not shot it on proper target material to test both back face signature and spall in then totally ignorant of what happens when bullet hits steel. Only steel plates tested that pass my minimum standards have level 2 Kevlar spall layer on front and at least 1/4" of high density foam on back to pad body from panels even if not hit by bullets.

Have shot Kevlar of all ages, Zylon, Tworn, Spectra, Gold Shield, ceramic, composite, UHMWPE, Dyneema, steel, polycarbonate, special alloys of aluminum and many more. I know what it does and how reacts. Why wear level 2 soft armor with a 6"×9" rigid Dyneema special threat plate front and 5"×8" level 2 or 3a Kevlar over spine. June, July and August drop to level 2a and this summer will be running 6"×9" flexible Dyneema special threat panels front and same in 5"×8" over spine. Rotate my rifle kits and once a month pick one to do my multi round trip walks from house down steep hill to lake, back up hill to house and repeat till feels like torture. Always has full kit of loaded magazines, IFAK, radios, and rifle that matches. At a steady pace could walk as long as had to in my kits. Dyneema knocking ten pounds or more per kit off total loadout and increasing threat level will stop was stunning. If swapped my Dyneema for steel same square inches of coverage would add 16 to 18 pounds per kit. An 11"×14" Dyneema panel is 2.7 to 2.9 pounds, a 10"×12" plate is 2.3 to 2.5 pounds. Throw your steel plate on a good scale and get back to me. Put your kit on with all accessories and come climb my personal radio tower, like to see it. I will do the same, have gone through almost every technology could afford. Worn, shot and measured blunt force trauma delivered to test media afterwards. Had to stop testing steel inside as was ripping my ceiling and busting lights out for twenty feet from spall. No other armor does that if stops rifle except titanium but at least it is light. Bought two Russian titanium sets just to shoot. The stuff they issue troops does not stop rifles, between NIJ Level 2 and 3a. The officers titanium will stop 308 ball.
Old May 04, 2017, 15:40   #44
red rider
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 485
I need to upgrade my armor, that is what brought me to this thread.

But, damn, this has been an awesome read and I have really enjoyed taking

the time to follow the sparring match.

I will re-read and take notes before any armor upgrades.

But thanks for being gentlemen and not sinking to the level of insults I see on the net daily.

L8tr..
red rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2017, 16:09   #45
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rider View Post
I need to upgrade my armor, that is what brought me to this thread.

But, damn, this has been an awesome read and I have really enjoyed taking

the time to follow the sparring match.

I will re-read and take notes before any armor upgrades.

But thanks for being gentlemen and not sinking to the level of insults I see on the net daily.

L8tr..
No offense to Hueyville, but aside from reading his meanderings, you might want to check this out:

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-32839.html

I'd take Dr. Roberts advice over anything Huey says, but that's just me.
Old May 04, 2017, 17:40   #46
Bawana jim
Registered

Funny thing on the private owner of body armour is he doesn't have the support of the military to keep up his fight. I was taught in Iraq that it takes 14 lbs of ice to support each trooper in hot weather. Those guys in Arizona and Southern California or New Mexico live in air conditioning in hot weather so if it goes down the world is going to hurt real quick if they go to body armour.

Plus to stay hydrated you need two liters of water minimum every day or you get sick. Wear that armour in the sun and your body boils out the fat really quick. Like most things in survival there is more to an event than what meets the eye.

Heck I spent the month of November in Arizona and folks wore coats at 80 degrees outside and most people lived in the malls.
Old May 04, 2017, 17:47   #47
tdb59
Does this smell funny ?
Bronze Contributor

I spent the first 7 years of my life in Phoenix.

Air conditioning was in movie theaters, rarely in cars.

An evaporative cooler would keep a house below 85 in the summer, maybe.

Ice went in tea, not in drinking water.

Wanna get pancakes ?

Old May 04, 2017, 18:08   #48
Bawana jim
Registered

I paved asphalt roads in the summer so it kinda helped with the heat in iraq. Bad deal was the body armour and helmets, about 40 lbs of weight that stifles the bodies cooling system and they wrapped Kevlar around you and put steel plates on that. Plus it was black in color so it sucked in the heat really bad if you worked in the sun.

Most people went indoors or into a vehicle if it got hot and being forced to wear the armour you were hot all the time.

I wonder how many guys here try their gear out as the weather changes.
Old May 04, 2017, 21:37   #49
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I have read at least 20 reports from NIJ where tested armor pulled from field in different condition and different ages and tested under controlled circumstances. Add over two dozen panels shot myself using accepted practices to measure backface signature and my data jive with NIJ. Zylon and some Tworn is all they have seen issues with and I avoid those like the plague. As to heat, wear every day, outside doing manual labor when three months of the year is over 90 degrees and 90% humidity. Yes, have to stay hydrated and wear proper shirt underneath. Glanced at the link, will read in detail later but didn't look like any of his test results of rifle plates varied from mine. Why trust him more than me if results pretty much match? Says my testing and his is consistent to me. He tested some I haven't and I have tested some he hasn't. He remarked one company only sent one test panel, some more, others none so is constrained in only shooting what is donated from manufacturers. I buy what I want to test, if buy a set for myself, usually get an extra to shoot, nother constrained to soliciting donations. Not as concerned about scatter guns as him except slugs. Saw where he had plates that stopped M855 and somemthat didn't, same results I have but manufacturer usually has already done that test and reveals results. I shoot enough to keep the makers honest. Got back to work and all of this was in the delivery box.

The two other Brit Kits along with the lesser coverage units arrived as well today.

The Level 3 plates were advertised as 2.8 pounds, pretty close.

The DPM Brit vests were both still sealed in plastic and soft armor is also still in sealed packaging. Get it all pulled out of box and put together over the weekend.

They threw in an entire bag of extra suede patches for shooters shoulder to keep stock firmly planted. Nice of them.

PACA level 3a used vest dated 2012 manufacturing date. Rate it as B grade but at $31 who can complain. Supposed to mimic a piece of winter clothing.

Another new, unissued Multicam groin protector. Stole it so added to pile of diapers. Pair of shrapnel shorts, one of these and groin flap may have some chaffing but the nads will be protected. These are mostly worn by armor crews as sitting in seats and spall goes to flying around crew area and want to protect all you can. Not really viable for a walkabout.

Old May 04, 2017, 22:05   #50
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Me say one thing, all this mix of camo make you real fashionista.