Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old June 17, 2015, 11:46   #1
Drtrumpet
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 32722
HAM radio and it's possible uses

My wife and I rely heavily on cell phones for our normal communications, which had me thinking that if the cell system suddenly died and we were in separate locations communication would be impossible.

I am thinking of taking the technician class ham test and getting set up with radio as a backup. Is this a viable solution for comms within about 50 miles? Thinking if mobile units in the cars and a stationary at home.

I am just now starting to do this research so go easy on me.
Drtrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015, 11:58   #2
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
If I'm understanding your question correctly, direct person to person contact is limited mostly to the power output and efficiency of the antenna.

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_...s/apx1500.html

For instance, a vehicle to vehicle in talkaround will be limited to a few miles at best but for 50 miles as you said, you're going to probably need a repeater(s) of some kind for reliable communication. Maybe 2 repeaters in centralized locations in the area(s) you wish to communicate.

Most places do have companies that provide a repeater service, or would lease you "space" on their system, but you need to be aware that if you do that, it will be shared space and not private.

Unless you go through the added expense of encrypt/decrypt to your specific radios, but you'll still be sharing the space and would need to take turns between the various people trying to talk all at the same time. Just with encryption, they wouldn't be able to understand what you're saying and to anyone outside of your radios will sound garbled.

But as I said, you'd still need to "share" the repeater with other users and take turns keying up and responding unless you owned private repeaters.

Last edited by John A; June 17, 2015 at 12:07.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015, 14:33   #3
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
50 miles will not happen with the 2m/70cm HTs like a Baofeng. Or even more powerful stuff if both locations are using omni-directional antennas.

UNLESS, your QTH is waaaaay up high or the terrain is a pancake.

50 miles is pretty easy with a repeater involved. But of course, it will likely be full of traffic in the scenario you describe.

But all is not lost, just study a bit more and get your general tickets. At which point you can talk on the lower bands.

A vehicle and home set up with a simple NVIS antenna each could easily handle your needs.

If flat enough you might even try 10m...techs get voice privileges there from 28.3-28.5MHz. There's a guy ALWAYS on 10m about 25m from me I can always hear even on days with no propagation listed for 10m.

FWIW...it is illegal to encrypt any ham radio traffic, unless you mean using digi modes. If you learn and use morse you will only need to worry about some 25% of the hams decoding you, and hams make up what miniscule portion of the population?

Next questions please!

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"Itís hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015, 14:37   #4
2barearms
I really don't hate you..
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
M.U.R.S.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stšrker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015, 14:59   #5
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
FWIW...it is illegal to encrypt any ham radio traffic, unless you mean using digi modes.
I'm talking about voice scrambling.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015, 21:27   #6
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I use 2 meters,primarily. Am a General,but just haven't gotten into all the other bands yet. 2 meters works great for me. I can talk or listen on various local repeaters. Terrain around here is flat,and one particular repeater is up about 900 feet on a 1200 foot tower. That one can be accessed from about a 75 mile radius. Repeaters can be linked together,so the one you are talking into is also reaching a lot of other areas.
I will warn you...it's a disease...first a new radio... or two...then a tower...then a shack...
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015, 22:25   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Encryption of Ham Radio is a matter of definition. First, of the 3.2 million registered ham radio operators world wide only 0.78% have D Star equipment and roughly half of them access the D Star gateway using computer dongles. That puts basically about half of one percent of all hams able to monitor a simplex D Star conversation between two individuals. If layer that and use your D Star radio to push digital transmissions such as documents then odds are about 99.9% people with a pre chosen frequency split and file type can send information without anyone intercepting and easily just key down chatting lock 99% of other hams out of ability to listen. A whopping $100 to $150 extra puts a VHF/UHF Digital radio with easy computer tethering in your vehicle and home. With good antenna and average terrain 50 mile simplex is not impossible and from car to home base antenna easy. I can talk simplex from my work D Star radio which is an Icom 2820 mobile rig with no amplifier running 70 feet of 1.0" heliax feed line into a Diamond X510 on 50 foot tower for over 150 miles. Can easily work Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina and into south Georgia either standard VHF, 100 miles UHF and same in digital mode with either band. From house with a 50 watt mobile connected to Diamond X300 fed with 1/2" heliax on 20 foot tower 75 mile simplex is easy on VHF and 40 mile UHF is reliable.

At work and home have a 75 meter cut dipole set up as NVIS antenna hooked to Icom 100 watt HF rig with USB port so can run psk31, NBEMS, SSTV or any number of digital modes with 400 plus mile range 24/7/365. A good NVIS antenna can be built from scrap wire and needs no tower. It's not uncommon for me to work into N.Y. with my NVIS rigs. All without warming up an amplifier. My truck has a quad band UHF/VHF/6 meter/10 meter quad band radio which is wide open to even Technician operators and starting about 30 minutes before sunset can work greyline skip into the 10 meter New York and Boston repeaters.

With a Kenwood mobile HF rig have multiple confirmed contacts from truck operating mobile to South America, Europe, Australia, and this same guy in Tasmania three times. Doesn't take huge power it's good ground plane and feedline. Reason for 80 ground rods tied with ~2,000 feet of go undigested copper is to get a solid ground plane for making the antenna do its job.

Then we have to look at definition of encryption. If a person uses PGP as an envelope for digital messages it can be called encrypted. But if you take your public and even a private key's data, print out the code in hexadecimal format on several sheets of paper and then go thumb tack to bulletin board of local library it is now public domain. I have several keys and other computer code chunks that have been printed out and taken to library in past.

Without going that far. Just using FL/DIGI which is 100% public domain to send a message on an odd but legal split at prearranged time with nothing more than standard radio, netbook and sound card breaks no laws and again 90% plus chance nobody but person intended will get message.

Can promise after SHTF scenario hits, local ham repeaters will likely come back up before phone system. I have two repeaters in Faraday boxes to deploy for community if needed. A tech level ticket raises your odds 80% to keep communication post event and general 95% plus. Also if declared emergency, don't have to have licence to use. Deal is need to have equipment and experience before it becomes a necessity. I studied four hours on a Saturday evening and got Tech license next day. Studied about 20 hours, got General two weeks later then 40 hours and had Extra in a month. While in that mode turned screws and put another 100 hours or so in for MROP, GROL and Radar Endorsement. With what learned since tinkering, know if other out in the world alive will be able to communicate.

Mormons have spent huge money on Ham equipment plus FRS and GMRS equipment including repeaters that a trip to Bass Pro or even Walmart can have you piggybacking. All the options available and a tech licence with several dual band D STAR radios that can be used analog also will put you in good shape. Step to general and a Icom IC-7200 HF rig with NVIS antenna and tuner put you in the HF game with digital mode capabilities for a thousand bucks. I have a 55 foot bucket truck, teach ham classes and put people and groups on air all the time. Have worked with individuals, preppers, municipalities, hospitals, churches and more. I will say this in the open via a clear channel. Anyone without a minimum Tech ticket and basic ham equipment is a moron. Hams will be your best means of situational awareness and help post SHTF out there. Cost of rifle does two cars or fixed station. Seen cell go down way too often and wife's ability to know I am on way home worth every dime spent. During situations the local ARES net or Skywarn net is better than weather channel. It's a must have.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015, 23:26   #8
Drtrumpet
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Man. There is so much to learn.

Before I really started reading I took the tech quiz online (2014 example) and scored 51%. I think I can lick it with some more study but it seems like passing the test is the tip of the iceberg.
Old June 17, 2015, 23:47   #9
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtrumpet View Post
Man. There is so much to learn.

Before I really started reading I took the tech quiz online (2014 example) and scored 51%. I think I can lick it with some more study but it seems like passing the test is the tip of the iceberg.

I spent near 3 months studying for the tech and the general test (about 10,000 practice quizzes!) and nearly fried my brain. I passed them both first time out but it was tough, just not my strong suit. I would have never passed if they still required the Morse. I don't think the advanced offers anything worth racking what's left of my brain! Got a radio and some related equipment but the HOA is a pain! So far I've only used 2m/70cm!

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015, 00:27   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Jaxxas,
If you have gutters can tune them puppies right up. If shingle roof a G5RV dipole can be run length of house in attic. Can also put a Diamond x50 vertical in attic for your vhf/uhf. In communist HOA's, I install a G5RV in attic and the Diamond X50. If have a particular repeater that is located where able to aim a vhf Yagi out the end of attic cooling vents or if have a decorative dormer have aimed out of them. If trees in back yard put a couple of band specific cut dipoles in trees, drop feed line and bury to house. Have had some gutters that were resonant on certain bands, metal mini-blinds inside windows will often tune in vhf or uhf band. While have no antenna restrictions at home, most of mine are hidden as don't want mad max and his minions to notice antenna farm at house if SHTF. Have antenna farm to do all want at work. So if want to contest or work rare stations can do at business. All at house are virtually unnoticeable. Trucks are loaded for mobile work and have two tilt over towers stacked in basement and bases concrete in ground. That way all protected from EMP and can be put up after and be in good working order as stored safely inside and grounded.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old June 18, 2015, 01:10   #11
Drtrumpet
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

I'm also looking at using an old tube type transceiver for the home base, since I have experience working on such equipment (tube radios that is). Are the older sets, like heathkits, any good?
Old June 18, 2015, 01:18   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I have a Kenwood with tube transmit and solid state receiver. One of the more desirable boat anchor models. Have considered selling but never had anyone worthy of owning it ask. Might let it go....
Old June 18, 2015, 11:28   #13
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I'm also looking at using an old tube type transceiver for the home base, since I have experience working on such equipment (tube radios that is). Are the older sets, like heathkits, any good?
Older non-chip rigs abound, but they are going back up in price now that they are considered cool again.

I wanted to go to the Atlanta fest but had to miss it. Was planning on getting a boat-anchor of some kind there.

I'd really like a TR4 transceiver.

Old June 18, 2015, 18:45   #14
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 20446
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post

Then we have to look at definition of encryption. If a person uses PGP as an envelope for digital messages it can be called encrypted. But if you take your public and even a private key's data, print out the code in hexadecimal format on several sheets of paper and then go thumb tack to bulletin board of local library it is now public domain.
THAT is devious as hell! It also renders your encryption moot from a LEGAL standpoint.

Make sure to maintain the paper copies on the cork board, and just use that one on air. But, you could change the paper and your keys every week if you wanted.

Well done!
Old June 18, 2015, 19:20   #15
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
I recently sat on my front porch using my $30 Beofeng and carried on a conversation with a motorist traveling I95 in South Carolina. I'm in Virginia. We were using a Eco-link repeater.

I can easily achieve radio comms. at 75 miles using various local and regional repeaters. Simplex, (unit to unit sans repeater) is a different story. One, two, or three miles using the portable. Twelve to twenty using an in-house 2 meter mobile connected to an outside antenna. Weather, atmospherics, elevation, even leaves on the trees affects comms.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015, 19:27   #16
RG Coburn
Registered

I don't think the FCC would think favorably on that,but who knows...
Old June 18, 2015, 20:12   #17
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
I don't think the FCC would think favorably on that,but who knows...
If the shtf, I don't think FCC compliance will be much of an issue. I can see 100 watt linear amps on CB back in action.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.

Last edited by 12v71; June 19, 2015 at 18:40.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015, 22:24   #18
Wecsogery
Registered

FALaholic #: 73856
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I'm talking about voice scrambling.
Voice scrambling is illegal on ham radio. And by the way, so is leasing usage of a ham radio repeater. Ham radio repeaters are free to use.
Of course, if you use a particular repeater on a regular basis, it is a good idea to donate to the individual or club who owns it, to help with the costs of keeping it on the air.
Wecsogery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 07:32   #19
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

A ham radio repeater can be open or closed an open repeater is for the use of any ham. A closed repeater is for the use of a set group of people such as a club. Closing a repeater is quite within the rules but seldom practiced. For some reason encountered more closed repeaters in Florida and if you own an ARRL repeater guide it has a column that indicates whether a repeater is closed. I don't understand the concept of a closed repeater on open amateur frequencies but it's not a dog worth chasing in a firearms forum. Just pointing out they do exist and are protected under FCC amateur radio regulations. One of the most common examples were when autopatch modules were popular for making a phone call using your clubs repeater, while the repeater was often open for all hams, the autopatch was usually reserved for members only.

I use echolink, D Star and other IRRLP methods as come and go in popularity. Currently I can use apps through my smart phone to access some repeaters through VOIP, etc. I can use my smart phone, tablet or laptop tethered to a WiFi or wired connection to internet to access my H.F. rig at work shack and through internet linking to work DX on my rig from a motel room if want.

Currently so many public domain approved digital communications modes picking one of the least popular and reverse split or odd splits on your VHF/UHF rigs reducing the number of people that monitor your communications legally is quite easy. Have found most hams can't even do something simple like PSK31 much less FLDIGI, NBEMS and a host of others. Data can be sent via SSTV and so many options that privacy is easy. We set up some protocols in our ARES group to keep people with scanners or curious hams from listening to sensitive traffic we may have to send for our served agencies during an emergency. Have a group of friends that have all posted a copy of public/private PGP keys in a legal public venue but unless someone knows the location, goes and pulls the hexadecimal paper copies, recompiles the data into a use able key and happens to know our frequencies, be listening when our set time to send and is fluent with using PGP and can unwrap our messages we are in the clear legally but for all practical purposes encrypted. 100% totally legal and also remember in declared emergency, all rules are pretty much off in order to pass traffic. Our legal use of PGP with published keys would take a huge number of clock cycles on a NSA supercomputer to crack unless they go hopping from bulletin board to board looking for where we thumb tacked our hex. Sure if we went to transmitting PGP wrapped messages on regular basis to be nerds would not be long before an O.O. Started sending letters wanting to know what's up. We went far enough to post, test and put on back burner. Once every year or so will use a different mode to send data to see how robust a new system is but if it allows check sums and your check is confirmed you know it works. Have become really good at sending x rays, MRI's, medical files and such for possible need in emergencies. If local hospitals call on us in emergency of phone and Internet down to pick up communications we have tested ways to do it legally and comply with HIPPA. That was a HUGE challenge.

Without such concerns, we all need a means of communicating with our family and friends if phones go down. Our house the rule is turn the dual band radio set to local repeater on. If repeater is down or busy push power button on simplex rig. Car to car is iffy according to distance. But from work or home with high gain antennas on towers fed with helix, even to a mobile we have significant range. If that fails both shacks have a dedicated HF rig for NVIS communication and HF rigs in vehicles. H.F. NVIS has proved to be 90% plus reliable on 75 meters for hundreds of miles or around the corner. One station in system has to be rock solid though. A quarter wavelength 75 meter dipole mounted 1/10th wavelength from ground with very good grounding grid under antenna and it's locked up. Food, security, meds, communications and you will likely survive longer than 90% of population. The remaining 10% will likely learn to work together rather than kill each other once the percentage of @$$ holes are eliminated.

In a real SHTF scenario, FCC will doubtfully be policing the ham bands at all. Actually they only get involved if self regulation through O.O.'s is unable to rectify a problem and their assistance is requested.
Old June 19, 2015, 08:41   #20
Wecsogery
Registered

Quote:
A ham radio repeater can be open or closed an open repeater is for the use of any ham. A closed repeater is for the use of a set group of people such as a club.
Yes, some repeaters are closed. But the owner(s) of the repeater cannot lease the use of the repeater for profit.
Old June 19, 2015, 08:56   #21
Wecsogery
Registered

Quote:
My wife and I rely heavily on cell phones for our normal communications, which had me thinking that if the cell system suddenly died and we were in separate locations communication would be impossible.

I am thinking of taking the technician class ham test and getting set up with radio as a backup. Is this a viable solution for comms within about 50 miles? Thinking if mobile units in the cars and a stationary at home.
Yes. I recommend that you and your wife get your Technician license, put a mobile 2M radio in each car and one at home with a deep-cycle battery and automatic battery charger; maybe even a solar panel. Then also get a dual-band handheld transceiver for each of you. Join and support your local ham radio club. They will be easy to find; they will almost certainly be administering the exams when you get your license.

Then get on the local repeater and talk to each other and your fellow hams in the area. You will make new friends, guaranteed. A large percentage of hams are preparedness-type folks. And you will find that almost all repeaters have emergency backup power.
Even when the cell networks are overloaded or otherwise unusable due to weather or other events, the ham radio repeaters remain usable.
Old June 19, 2015, 10:15   #22
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wecsogery View Post
Yes. I recommend that you and your wife get your Technician license, put a mobile 2M radio in each car and one at home with a deep-cycle battery and automatic battery charger; maybe even a solar panel. Then also get a dual-band handheld transceiver for each of you. Join and support your local ham radio club. They will be easy to find; they will almost certainly be administering the exams when you get your license.

Then get on the local repeater and talk to each other and your fellow hams in the area. You will make new friends, guaranteed. A large percentage of hams are preparedness-type folks. And you will find that almost all repeaters have emergency backup power.
Even when the cell networks are overloaded or otherwise unusable due to weather or other events, the ham radio repeaters remain usable.
+1 on this. Exactly what I would recommend

ďThe great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.Ē
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 11:19   #23
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Below is the "battery" for my shack. Notice the two rack mount 13.8 volt power supplies that run to a powered buss bar in shack that can tap all equipment to. In addition to this stack for radios have a set of four FAT130's that power the low voltage emergency lighting (and two small DC to AC inverters to run a couple of low amp draw 120 volt devices) so no power reserve for radios is used for anything but communication. For comparison the batteries in rack are 100's instead of 130's. Have a second string of four FAT130's in shack for running computer. When highly active in emergency communication my work shack was an approved A.R.R.L. Official Emergency Station to back up our community served agencies stations. While no longer keep A.R.R.L. affiliation all systems are still in place so if have communications issue where community needs help I can do it from work or home.

Even had a line of site 2.4 GHz data system using a set of hacked WiFi routers with small power amps and directional antennas. Only way to pick up signal was to be directly in line of sight with the two antennas and know how it worked, frequencies, username and passwords. Frequencies, user name and pass words were posted on bulletin boards at 911 center, hospital and my office along with our section of website for members so no encryption or other rules violated. Luckily part of the spectrum for WiFi routers is shared as officially allocated to amateur radio so just had to choose off the shelf routers already in Ham Radio band, pump up the power and get our antennas aligned so could swap data at speed of the routers. If have neighbor want to swap data with its a relatively simple and secure system to set up. About five miles is as far as was able to push without spending real money but from my business to hospital is 3.5 miles line of sight. Then from hospital to local Emergency Management Agency was another 3 miles line of sight so was able to use hospital as mid point to link my O.E.S., hospital and E.M.A. together with high speed direct line of sight back channel for data staying totally in rules. With a General or Extra class license a wide world of experimentation is possible and legal.

When left official affiliation took some of my personal equipment back. Left all the D Star repeater antennas, battery back up systems and other stuff but my 2.4 GHz system now links work and home. Now the hacked WiFi system links home and work so can leverage all the work shack equipment from house via remote so able to take advantage of my antenna farm without building out multiple towers at home. Just log into work computer which has RIG Blaster Duo Pro and two standard single channel RIG Blasters tied to radios. That gives four radios can access from house to augment my little home shack. If batteries dip below 60% have generator that fires up and recharges. Otherwise they are on 24/7/365 float charge from grid. If internet goes down and can't access my shop radios via net just switch to personal 2.4 GHz data link from work to house which all necessary information is posted in a public venue.

While have an MROP, GROL and Radar Endorsement to go with my Extra Class amateur radio license I am a hack. No formal training and just wade through issues leveraging Google, asking questions from smart people and a little luck. The possibilities for someone with training and talent are endless. Can't imagine how many of my other experiments would have succeeded if had an electrical engineering degree as believe stimpsonjcat has. Have lots of unfinished projects that limited abilities and knowledge forced me to abandon. Almost had to give up on my radar hacking projects then met retired Navy radar technician with 30 years of military experience installing, repairing and operating radar. Took him about two weeks with a little input from a engineer and we had two of my marine radars operating as ground to air units. Now when in shack can see any big boats on lake and low, close aircraft on other unit. FYI, most ships have what's called a "weather fax". It is actually a radio that picks up signals from weather sattelites. At will can turn on and print out all the info transmitted from the birds flying overhead on forecasts, live view radar and cloud cover. As long as weather birds are flying and functioning can always get that information. Amazing how much technology us hillbillies can leverage for personal use. Costs very little to become self sufficient on communication and information collection.

Going to offer a reward to anyone who gets a ham radio license in next 90 days and buys radio for home. Will send a 13.8 volt 28 amp hour telecom battery for each radio put in house for free other than cost to ship. Once get license and radio(s) for home, will ship nice $150 retail battery per radio. When battery(s) arrive will have amount shipping cost and you can reimburse my out of pocket shipping but battery(s) will be free. A $19 trickle charger to keep topped off and you will be ready for grid down for a while.
Old June 19, 2015, 17:53   #24
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

Stimpy, would you please post up a picture of your keyer 'input device'? That thing will give you carpel troubles down the road.

I was scandalized, and THAT'S why you're going to get something pretty. I ain't decided on which one yet.
Old June 19, 2015, 18:55   #25
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Some ham clubs fall into the .gov collaborator category more than the Constitutional patriot category. Heard of the FCC citizens auxiliary that does radio direction find on operators who forget to declare a call sign? Or have gall to talk to someone who didnt say call sign? Some Ham clubs are a lot like some volunteer firemen who are in it for power trip instead of service. Sucking up to .gov agencies so they can play with guys wearing black parachute pants. Don't assume they have same agenda as you. Think "hall monitor" until you know otherwise.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 19:08   #26
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
Think "hall monitor" until you know otherwise.
Quite a bit of those. Think every transmission has to be signified by callsign. Not true. Just once every ten minutes.

And really get their panties in a wad if you use a morse identifier at 20 wpm that does it for you.

Legal, but not sufficient for them.

Been called out for that in the past.

It's a particular personality type. It's damaged, but they can sometimes find what they need in playing "hall monitor" as you described.
Old June 19, 2015, 19:57   #27
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022

.._. ._ ._.. .._. .. ._.. . ... ._. _____ _._. _._ ...

" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew

юродивый
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015, 19:57   #28
ByronF
Registered

I'm fairly new to this but recommend getting 2m mobile units like Yaesu FT2900, which are simple to use (but darned fine) 2m units with sufficient power that you could link up without repeaters with a high antenna in case repeaters are off line.

Then go general class and you can install something like Yaesu FT857d in mobile and base and be repeater-independent. Reliable and effective mobile all-band antennas are pricey. Pick a band and get a dedicated antenna if funds are limiting. A 40m hamstick is better than a crappy all-band.

Like I said, new at this stuff but these are my thoughts.
Old June 19, 2015, 20:14   #29
ByronF
Registered

Hand-helds are low power with weak antennas. I have a couple good ones an they're worth having if you have patience to learn them. Mobiles have more power and simpler to use (and can mount better antennas). Get mobiles first, then handies if you find they are useful to your situation. You'll end up.with them eventually if you stick with the program. I like the yaesu FT60r.

I've mentioned Yaesu products because that's what I started with and appreciate standardization of menu driven controls. And they're a top shelf brand. Pick a brand and stick with it (yaesu, icom, Kenwood). Until you are a hot shot.
Old June 19, 2015, 23:23   #30
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Haney View Post
Stimpy, would you please post up a picture of your keyer 'input device'? That thing will give you carpel troubles down the road.

I was scandalized, and THAT'S why you're going to get something pretty. I ain't decided on which one yet.
You mean this...

I am very proud this device has captured your attention.

I can't imagine a more fluid feel for dits and dahs than this device.

You could buy me something more expensive...you can't convince me to use it. One might remember that I came here because I bought a non-functional FAL. One might consider that this would lead to bad behavior. I like 12 lb triggers. I like straight keys when the SKCC guys call me out..and you can shove the fancy paddles where the floated AR bbls go.

It's another hobby...it's no different to me. It's an excuse to learn something. It's a reason to make something.

I love you...but you know you are wrong here.

Last edited by stimpsonjcat; June 19, 2015 at 23:44.
Old June 19, 2015, 23:24   #31
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Been called out for that in the past.

It's a particular personality type. It's damaged, but they can sometimes find what they need in playing "hall monitor" as you described.

Old June 19, 2015, 23:32   #32
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Am I impressing you yet, El?

I have been using a 600W SS amp tonight and thoroughly enjoying myself. I got it for a song. And then ordered a much nicer 500W with 5% of this years bonus.

I particularly enjoy the audio reports...with my cheap ass radio-shack mic fed through a $30 Boehringer mixer. Most hams are fools...like most engineers. I do not mean to disparage them...only to say you are not seeing the deep magic.

I wasn't kidding...the QSO I will treasure will be you on CW.

Old June 20, 2015, 05:44   #33
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Am I impressing you yet, El?
...only to say you are not seeing the deep magic.
You've impressed me since the day I met you.

Me and Bill Prince got our novice tickets when we were 13. We built almost all our rigs from scrap and junk for years. Rebanding military aircraft radios and building amps out of TV sweep tubes and caps and inductors culled from surplus junk.

I don't think any of it had a front panel. Our mentor, Hap (Bernard) Shahan, finally insisted we put some covers on the high voltage stuff. He went SK about three years ago.

Bill went on to be an RF engineer for Motorola. Got his EE from GA Tech. Don't know if he's still active.

I let my license lapse so I have to retest. But we have plenty of VE's around here.

The local Club, W4VO, has been around a loooong time. Years past I built two generations of the 2 meter repeater for the club. It's on 146.34/94. That was when I worked at the local Motorola Service Station and had access to a lot of surplus gear. You're probably a bit too far away to hear it.
Old June 20, 2015, 15:01   #34
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

When you have to buy a power line transmission transformer to use to keep constant power when you key then have a real amp. Sometimes have to ask for reminders where 1,500 watt limit is measured. (I know what rule book says but most don't) Know one guy who has dead on 1,500 watts measured at antenna but have seen same man have four phased antennas with 1,500 watts each claim he is legal. I can swing 900 watts max on my best band, amp average is about 750 watts across the bands. Only fire it up a few times a year to keep capacitors charged like my boat anchors. Have discovered antenna and feed line is most important part of equation thus if I can hear someone, generally 100 watts gets back to them. I love to see bailing wire and rigged equipment. Those are the survivors. If anyone needs any digital interfaces, have a bunch of printed boards that only need five dollars worth of parts to run digital modes through any radio.
Old June 20, 2015, 21:00   #35
RG Coburn
Registered

Haney...did you grab all those 440mhz handhelds you had a line on a while back?
Old June 21, 2015, 00:46   #36
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Just recognized the key behind Stimpies home brew. It's one of the $9.99 radio shack key. I have one just like it on my bench. Use it when tuning my amp, run amp up into edge of the Morse allocation and do all my dipping and twirling before anyone has time to get aggrevated. Only paper I ever got from an O.O. was a pat on the back for everything being near perfect.

Was running another station with Icom IC-7700 and Icom IC-PW1 driving a Mosley Pro 96-s. Had just replaced all the feed line with 1/2" helix. Always have to test a station after I do any work to it. Higher quality it is, the more testing required.
Old June 21, 2015, 01:18   #37
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
You've impressed me since the day I met you.

Me and Bill Prince got our novice tickets when we were 13. We built almost all our rigs from scrap and junk for years. Rebanding military aircraft radios and building amps out of TV sweep tubes and caps and inductors culled from surplus junk.

I don't think any of it had a front panel. Our mentor, Hap (Bernard) Shahan, finally insisted we put some covers on the high voltage stuff. He went SK about three years ago.

Bill went on to be an RF engineer for Motorola. Got his EE from GA Tech. Don't know if he's still active.

I let my license lapse so I have to retest. But we have plenty of VE's around here.

The local Club, W4VO, has been around a loooong time. Years past I built two generations of the 2 meter repeater for the club. It's on 146.34/94. That was when I worked at the local Motorola Service Station and had access to a lot of surplus gear. You're probably a bit too far away to hear it.
I shall endeavor to follow in the footsteps of men like you and Bill.

I don't pretend to know what men like that knew.

I pretend to emulate them.

Deep magic, Merlin.

Old June 21, 2015, 15:39   #38
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I can work all the Rome 2 meter repeaters and on past up into Nooga and beyond from my work shack. Diamond X510 fed with 1" of 1.25" heliax (not sure unless went out and measured) and 72 feet high. That is from a Yaesu 50 watt 8900 Quad Band. Amazing if I switch to my Icom 2200H with 65 watt output I get another 25 miles each direction which math says should not happen until put a good calibrated power meter on the radios. Own over a dozen Yaesu's and every one is usually dead on the manufacturers power rating. All of my Icom swing a bit more power than rated. Most 50 watt radios will give 55ish. My 2200H swings an honest 78 watts. Have a 150 watt VHF amplifier but when use it because so many repeaters still don't use tones, it will open three or four repeaters on about any normal split and it is really confusing. Like using a 2 meter in an airplane. Pretty much stick to simplex on national call frequency or open repeaters in half a dozen states. Airplanes change the rules, have one documented with QSL cards of a 200 mile QSO between two handitalkies, I was in airplane just south of Atlanta and other station was just north of Ashville.

As to previous statement in the thread, joining local clubs and ARES groups is good but will meet a lot of Barney Fife types who wanted to be a cop or firefighter but never did so when got older got a ham radio ticket and try to flex their need to feel important through those groups. It's what ruined active membership for me and at one time was E.C. of group with highest score in National S.E.T. two years and second place another. From becoming E.C. group grew from 14 members and one served agency to 85 members and four agencies. After my motorcycle wreck one particular Barney Fife was sending letters to ARRL asking for my job within a week. After missing a few meetings approved by my D.E.C. due to being in wheel chair two Barny's bitched till got me fired. 7 years and $10,000 of own money invested to find ARRL will cut you loose if a couple of old men whine when all they want is the bosses hat. Let them have it but still sit on the side willing to help but work for FEMA now which is much more professional.
Old June 24, 2015, 11:26   #39
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:

I missed this the first time...I'll try to hit it sometime soon.

Wow, 65 miles. Further than I thought. Might have to wait til the 2m beam is up.

Old June 24, 2015, 11:58   #40
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have 55 foot bucket truck if need help with antennas. Never leave a ham in a lurch if can help. If we get an omni up high with low loss feed line you can work 90 miles in every direction. Have a few tower sections can spare also. If you dig the hole and concrete base properly, can stack 30 feet without guy wires. Put an X510 on top your 47 to top and 38 feet to center where majority power radiates.
Old June 24, 2015, 13:02   #41
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Have 55 foot bucket truck if need help with antennas. Never leave a ham in a lurch if can help. If we get an omni up high with low loss feed line you can work 90 miles in every direction. Have a few tower sections can spare also. If you dig the hole and concrete base properly, can stack 30 feet without guy wires. Put an X510 on top your 47 to top and 38 feet to center where majority power radiates.
Thanks. The QTH has plenty of tall trees, but it is also in a bowl for about 100 degrees. I have 30ft of Rohn 20G ready to go up and an A-4S to go on it, but I am waiting for the other concrete project to catch up and have both the tower and the antenna pad done at the same time. I use 75 Ohm hardline for my VHF/UHF antenna, which right now is a 1/4 wave at 150MHz. Big improvement over my previous j-pole. The hardline specs at about 1.5dB loss per 100ft, which is about what I have out.

I have plans and rotators to make at least one separate 'tower' which will really be a top-suspended mast with a 2m beam and a 6m beam on it with the rotator on the ground in a slip-joint. The 2m will be rigged to flip 90 degrees for use horizontal or vertical.

Current project is assembling the KPA500 I bought last week, should be here Friday.

Old June 24, 2015, 15:34   #42
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

When get ready will throw you a day of bucket truck assistance. It is a 55 foot High Ranger so with set off from job can easily work to 45-50 foot height. If want a couple more sections of Rohn have more than need.

At home coated six feet of ten foot Rohn section with tar after having it hot dip galvanized again then poured the concrete to it. Stacked two sections on top of that then a top section which is more than enough on my hill. Have a big HF beam at work and not really interested in having one looming over the house so use the tower for a vertical and eventually may put a small StepIR on it for HF. Entire deal is on ground now from having a metal roof put on house. Have a medium size tri-band beam considering throwing on when put back up as bet the metal roof will help as ground plane just like it did when put metal roof on work QTH.

Have worked the world off my G5RV's but believe my ground mats are key to all antennas performance. Have a dedicated cut dipole for 75 meters NVIS and another for 30 meters. Spent more time helping elderly hams fix their antennas that have been stuck due to dead rotator ten and twenty years don't want to be one of them some day when unable to climb my own tower or don't own a bucket truck.

Every time tempted to put one up get a couple calls from guys with dead rotators and it calms desire to chase my tail with own. Currently have a broken trap on one of the elements in beam at work and its taller than my truck which sucks. Only way to fix would be to gin pole entire beam to ground. Use it where resonant and leaving it alone. Funny part is its most resonant on 11 meters currently with dead trap but if load it up with 700 watts one its resonant band it makes for some confused truckers. It tunes up o.k. on some others and leaving it alone till some young buck offers to help as I am not going to fool with the monster myself.

Have a dual axis rotator sitting if want an EME setup....
Old June 24, 2015, 16:11   #43
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Tower is going in the backyard so no way to get the truck nearby.

Gin pole for me it seems.

I did buy a nice climbing rig and dual clip strap.

The A-4S is only 37 lbs. Not too nasty to muscle around a bit. If necessary I will run an assist rope from nearby trees.

What I need to find is about 12 feet of appropriate aluminum pipe for the vertical rotator piece. I have a nice piece of stainless, but man is it heavy.

I still have a G5RV, although the homebrew 160m OCF kicks it's butt. I will probably drop the G5RV and use for NVIS.

My pad will be 'cut in' so that if we ever sell it can disappear. It will by 4ft cubed, with angle down into the ground in addition to the rebar and the mounting bolts secured to a plate welded to the angle. Epoxy painted like a 4 year old. Even though it won't need to last more than 30 years I bet.

Last edited by stimpsonjcat; June 24, 2015 at 16:25.
Old June 24, 2015, 17:34   #44
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have tons of aluminum tube of different diameters in shop. If don't have size needed can have Ryerson drop on weekly truck at wholesale price, no sales tax and free delivery. Have nice gin pole if want to use and will help. If back cooperating and tower supports two men may can just manpower it in place. Have heliax, connectors, lightning arrestors and more.

This location sucked, 90 feet of tower and residents cut both guy wires on one side to get moving truck in drive. One of those deals where tower was free to whoever came and got it. Should have left it but had made drive and didn't want their kids getting killled.

If find old meter base and a weather head can fix up your impulse protection in tidy manner.

I am only 20 to 30 minutes away, licensed, insured, willing to help and have all the tools needed. Have antenna analyzers, merger to test ground system and any other specialty tools. I would not mind helping and if back not cooperating can at least bring tools and fetch coffee. Can also round up professional help for free.
Old June 24, 2015, 17:49   #45
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Oh, and on the tube, it's all you need to build most any antenna. Have a 16 foot 2 meter beam needs a little work on the matching element. Also have a stunning 6 meter moxon design can build in an afternoon with materials in house if like working the magic band.

If need to weld up your mounting plate or weld rear cage instead of wiring together can do in my shop if need. Can pilfer SteelMart dumpster and drop pile for plates if want to. They let me pilfer drops to save money all the time.

Last edited by hueyville; June 24, 2015 at 18:06. Reason: More Info
Old June 24, 2015, 20:58   #46
RG Coburn
Registered

Stimpson...if at all possible,I would highly recommend incorporating a hinged base onto you antenna tower. I currently have a (I think) a Rohn 25,38 feet with a 10 foot 1 1/4 inch conduit mast,and the rotator about 2 feet below the tower top. No guys,just a couple clamps onto the shack. Antennas are a homebuilt 7 element 2 meter quad,a homebuilt 2 meter slimjim,a Shakespeare 17 foot "Big Stick",and a arm off the side with a bronze sheave to pull up my 80 meter Carolina Windom.
If I want to replace or repair,it take me about 10 minutes total time to lower the tower to a height where the radiators are reachable with a short step ladder.No problems with wind,and I'm in the middle of a wind turbine farm.
It makes it light years easier to play with the stuff. I just throw that cable up over the roller on the brown topcap,then hook the block to a strap around the tower,then the cable hook back to that eyebolt. Slicker than snot,even in winter. I raise and lower the tower literally with one hand.No help needed.

We had a pretty big storm blow thru the other night. The local Skywarn net went to red alert status,and I ended up taking net control for a while so our local emergency co-ordinator guy could free his hands up a bit. Ended up with at least one tornado touching down. I was a little green at it,never did one before,but nobody else would answer his request,so I figured,"what the hell?"
Some of those guys south of me run those nets like a freaking professional radio broadcast. I definitely need polishing...
Old June 24, 2015, 21:17   #47
bdc
Registered

FALaholic #: 33802
Hueyville, you should give classes. I learn something from all of your posts. Tech license for about a year now, but really getting up & running in the last month or so.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015, 21:27   #48
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

My base is set up to bolt down or rotate. I will try to set it for rotation, but there is only one direction in which it could go and I am not sure it could make it to the ground that way without hitting some lower foliage or another structure.

Huey, let me check some numbers when I get near this project and I will contact you about at least the pipe and gin-pole.

Old June 24, 2015, 21:28   #49
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Oh, and on the tube, it's all you need to build most any antenna. Have a 16 foot 2 meter beam needs a little work on the matching element. Also have a stunning 6 meter moxon design can build in an afternoon with materials in house if like working the magic band.

If need to weld up your mounting plate or weld rear cage instead of wiring together can do in my shop if need. Can pilfer SteelMart dumpster and drop pile for plates if want to. They let me pilfer drops to save money all the time.
I have built several moxons and like the design a lot. Easy and quick. I have plans to make a 40m moxon that is electrically reversible that will hang above the house. But I am not sure how much I love that band yet.

Old June 24, 2015, 23:53   #50
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Tons of aluminum tubing including 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and on up in full sticks. Mill, lathe, drill press welders and all else to build, put on mast, use analyzer to tune and take it home. Love to let people use stuff and help if asked. The big two meter beam would give away. Part of an experiment when doing EME. Decided too much work and money to bounce signals off moon got one antenna up, made some contacts and took the monster down. Building phasing harness with four perfect match electrical length feed lines, getting four 20 foot beams matched and aligned then keeping it all running and four axis rotator happy was work.

My six meter Moron on small rotator works great. It's about three feet by eight feet square and has placed well in contests. Moxon/moron antennas are easy to build but six meters was best design ever did. Used to have someone over every week to build antennas but people started taking advantage so now only extend invitations to people who seem decent. Ability to weld aluminum and rack of round and square tubing plus angles makes projects move quickly.

I would do tip over and rotator on top. Have installed, removed and repaired hundreds of antennas. Seems to be best system. If have money for a StepIR I can say they are best antenna going. Freaking dream to push button and be resonant not only on any band, but down to frequency working. Have done over 100 designs for personal use and now it's yagi's and dipoles cut to band. Occasional vertical and my 6 meter Moron. Don't need anything else and my G5RV's tune up so well and easy to deploy for NVIS or skip take the easy way out. Lost the desire to work every station that pops up on the cluster.

I am dealer for American Tower Company if need anything. Have Rohn compatible accessories. Can have towers drop shipped anywhere in North America.