The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old January 27, 2015, 18:02   #1
MJ1
Registered

FALaholic #: 74934
Remington 1100 O-ring

Little gal up the road stopped me at the market yesterday and said her 1100 stopped working. I'm no shot gunner but it easy to see her piston was sized with carbon in the cylinder and the o-ring shown on u-tube was missing. After hours of soaking and chipping it's all freed up now but still needs the o-seal. Is this a hardware store item or something sized only for Remington? O-seals are metric world wide so could there be a quick replacement? Did the missing seal cause all the powder fowling? It must have been missing for years because this thing was a mess.

You can't not help a pretty girl with a shotgun..LOL
MJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015, 18:50   #2
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Get the Remington piston/piston seal and O ring kit from Remington. If the O ring was that bad it won't hurt to rebuild the entire system. I did it on my 11-87 just to be safe and kept the old parts as spares.

SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015, 21:48   #3
MJ1
Registered

FALaholic #: 74934
Thanks for the tip.

It was so nasty and the poor little thing wants to shoot Thursday.

Who would have this kit in stock Brownell's?

Cost? Is there a part number on the kit.

I could loan her my 36" 1896 Winchester goose gun. She is about six foot tall. in her cowboy boots.

Thanks again..
MJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015, 21:57   #4
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

Brownells is out of stock

SG has them http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...m-kit?a=359279

She only has one shotgun??? That's the problem.
Old January 28, 2015, 08:26   #5
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
If it's a 12 guage let me know, I will mail you one for free. When I bought my 11-87 sporting clays a few years ago I got over exited and bought a dozen o rings for it.......I still have 12 left. Pretty sure the o ring for the 1100 and 1187 are the same.

Let me know

Tom
Old January 28, 2015, 08:50   #6
Slow
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17330
for speed in getting one.

check auto suppluy for Viton dash 021 o-ring. that should work, Viton is heat/chem resistant the part # Dash 021 refers to size.

or if someone who has one could measure ID and thickness and post that also.

What’s the point in ever trying to be happy when the very pursuit of happiness is what makes you miserable.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but i can't stick my head that far up my ass

"The earth swarms with people who are not worth talking to" -Voltaire

"If you mix fat and lies, you get Bill, not soap. Throw in some stupid, and it turns to Vince." - ce

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
Slow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015, 10:17   #7
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

12ga is 0.070" thick and 0.989" ID So try a -22 O ring. The one I measured was used so you might want to pick up a -21 O ring and try that too.
Old January 28, 2015, 10:32   #8
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I shoot 20s, and bought several of the rebuild sets. Haven't needed any after the first

One of my mentors, a master shotgun smith and high-level competitive shooter, suggests the 1100 is only good for 200 rounds between cleanings.

I've never shot that much at one time out of the 1100, as I much prefer my Beretta O/Us.
Old January 29, 2015, 16:42   #9
82ndRecon
Registered

FALaholic #: 6589
Brownells has the rebuild kits in stock for 1100's 12 and 20ga. Just got one for my son's 1100LT 20 which is smaller than the 12. Price is reasonable. You can buy the individual parts also.
"American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere..."

(An entry in a German officer's diary found after the battle on Anzio beachhead)
82ndRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2015, 21:30   #10
smee78
Registered

FALaholic #: 23873
Thumbs up

Good information shared here, thanks everyone.
smee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015, 23:34   #11
nearmisses
The LTR guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41474
You can find them on ebay and the viton is at auto shops. Size was mentioned and can be found online. Just got mine a month back. I've wanted one since I was a kid. Never heard the o-ring was a 200 rd item maybe a 2500 round item! The one I cleaned for my uncle one summer so I could shoot skeet must have had that many at least, never missed a beat. Had to pull trap 5 games for 25rd.s to shoot a round.
Old December 22, 2015, 10:28   #12
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
Good info in this thread that will help you resolve the issue quickly and painlessly. To save shipping costs from Brownell's and Midway, you can buy the kit with the metal slides on ebay, the O-ring can be sourced locally at Ace Hardware, Lowe's and the like. Good luck.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2015, 23:21   #13
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=10exlkj

1100 12 gauge o-ring measurements are:

O.D. - 1 1/16”
I.D. - 15/16”
Width - 1/16”
cross section profile - round
dash number 021

odds are Remington sourced Viton for OEM applications
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016, 08:45   #14
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 799
Gun plumber is 100% correct. Wipe that tube off with oily rag in the field after every 100 rounds and reliability will approach 98% depending on "miles" the gun has on it. That other 2% is numerous other parts in the mechanism that can and will break including barrel lugs. 1100's shoot soft compared to a Bennelli but are not made as robustly. I have owned 5 and carried a box of parts in the years I competed successfully at a local level. I replaced the O-rings once or twice in the 7 years I used 1100's. Never liked that metal replacement contraption.
Old January 18, 2016, 20:57   #15
nearmisses
The LTR guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41474
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55bird View Post
Gun plumber is 100% correct. Wipe that tube off with oily rag in the field after every 100 rounds and reliability will approach 98% depending on "miles" the gun has on it. That other 2% is numerous other parts in the mechanism that can and will break including barrel lugs. 1100's shoot soft compared to a Bennelli but are not made as robustly. I have owned 5 and carried a box of parts in the years I competed successfully at a local level. I replaced the O-rings once or twice in the 7 years I used 1100's. Never liked that metal replacement contraption.
Well, I don't mind a difference of opinion so I best relate an experience I had in 1975 with a Remington 1100 12Ga. and quite a number of Franchi's new 530 gas guns. We were ordered to go out and test the 2 against one another. Being the apprentice I was relagated to fire the Remington while the senior smith shot the Franchi's, I believe I have this tale on here elsewhere but the short of it was I fired the Remington and it never failed, we had cases of ammo with us for the evaluation, over 5000 rounds. The Franchi was supposed to win. Franchi didn't silver solder barrel to piston very well so joint broke on 8-9 of the 15 or so we had and Frank stopped the testing said it was too embarasing. By that time I know I shot mixed bag loadings of everything in the tube, 4 rounds and one up the pipe from #9 to 00 buck, BB's to rifles slug and high base and low base mixed and never a hicup. Way over 200 rounds were fired, way over! Wasn't even that dirty. I made up my mind if I ever needed a shotgun the Remington was the one to buy. Never failed to fire a single shell. In the time it took me to do that Frank blew the barrels off the front of 8 guns at least maybe firing 20 rd.s. total and writing his reports and notes about what happened.

I have had Rem 1100's come in my shop that were so dirty they wouldn't even fire anymore, loaded with unburned powder in the trigger mechanisms, For S&G's I cleaned them in a cleaning tank and flushed the receiver out, put them back together and tried shooting them. Invariably they usually worked still messy. I've had duck hunting customers tell me they had only shot a couple thousand shells thru them in the 20 years they had it and cleaned the bore every season. One came in, customer used it for a paddle cause his broke!! now that was a mess. All it ever took was to completely disasemble the entire trigger group, bolt, gas system, stock off and bolt spring, light wire wheel on the rings to get any carbon off that the Zep tank left on and oil, O-ring and good to go and test fire out the door. Kind of like the Old Dirty stories I've heard on here.
I find them infinitly reliable way past what you have concluded, opinions vary.
Old January 23, 2016, 21:19   #16
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 799
Drilled out ports, light loads, and low miles maybe so. Theres a reason the Pro trap/skeet shooters never trusted them pal.