The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old June 28, 2014, 23:23   #1
detroit360
Registered

FALaholic #: 7685
slugster ?

what do you all think of the Mossberg 535 slugster, Im looking for a good slug gun, and saw bass pro has them for 419.00 with an extra barrel, I need some input if possible cause I tend to make mistakes sometimes when I buy a gun I don't nothing about, like shotguns
detroit360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2014, 08:30   #2
metalreptile
Registered

FALaholic #: 26243
Be aware that the rifled barrel is for shooting SABOTs ONLY. Not for shooting standard rifled slugs. This is a dedicated SABOT barrel. Not sure what the spare barrel is, if normal smoothbore, you can shoot regular slugs in that. All that being said, Mossberg makes a good, strong, dependable shotgun. I don't think you'll go wrong, for the money at least.
Old June 29, 2014, 08:35   #3
metalreptile
Registered

If you intend on using a scope, you might want to look at Remington's 870 slug gun. You can get them with a scope mount on the barrel that makes for a super strong mount. Of course, Mossberg may possibly offer this as well, I dunno. Just something to think about. I like the Mossberg tang safety.....easier to manipulate, for me at least.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ress-slug.aspx

A bit more money......but....
Old June 30, 2014, 13:44   #4
doubletap
Registered

FALaholic #: 1426
Mosseys have good and not so good features. The not so good includes the guaranteed to break into pieces tang safe, and the usually OK, but they will break plastic guard and trigger housing. Remedy the former by replacing the factory safe with a real metal safety button, not expensive or hard to do. The latter can be fixed with the addition of the 590 metal guard/trigger housing for something around $60.
If slug use is your main concern, and you aren't talking sabot's, why not just find the cheapest used mossey you can find in 12 bore, order up the 8 shot conversion kit from Brownell's (includes new mag tube and barrel), add a front sight to this barrel and a Williams peep sight on the receiver. Voila, super slug/riot gun. Add the above change outs and you've made a really good shotgun out of a $100 beat up bird gun.
If sabot slugs are your goal however, what you looked at would be the right stuff.
doubletap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2014, 13:47   #5
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Ordinary rifled slugs do just fine for their intended purpose at most deer-hunting distances.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 06, 2014, 03:52   #6
detroit360
Registered

FALaholic #: 7685
I guess it comes with 2 barrels 1 smooth bore & 1 rifled for $399.00 at bass pro, can you shoot birdshot out of a rifled barrel??
detroit360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 06, 2014, 04:34   #7
metalreptile
Registered

I wouldn't shoot any kind of shot through a rifled barrel. You CAN, but you'll end up fouling up your rifling. The rifled barrel is for slugs only. Personally if I were going to use a rifled barrel, I'd stick with SABOT slugs.