Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
This is a bloody disgrace.

This is a bloody disgrace.
be sure to read the last sentence

This comes from Guidestar (http://www.guidestar.org/) which is a great source for information. The Form 990 filed annually by not-for-profits shows where the money goes, and the Form 990 is available from Guidestar; its free

Wounded Warrior Project, Inc. Review

Wounded Warrior Project, Inc. (WWP) is a registered non-profit organization whose mission is to support and honor veterans. This they accomplish per their website by
Raising awareness and enlist the public's aid for the needs of injured service members
Helping injured service members aid and assist each other
Providing unique, direct programs and services to meet the needs of injured service members

BBB accredited charity and a listed recipient of Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) donations. In FY 2012 reported an income of $154,958,901. A review of their expenses as noted in their 2012 IRS 990 tax return required of non-profits reflects $4,657,084 in Grants to organizations and $871,194 in Grants to individuals. This equates to about 3.5% of total income being expended in directly helping wounded warriors or (through grants) other organizations with similar goals.

The following appears to be their overhead expenses for 2012:

Compensation,
Officers, Directors & Trustees
$1,057,997
Other wages $15,415,666
Pension Plan $340,650
Employee Benefits $2,266,457
Payroll Taxes $1,594,740
Legal $499,509
Accounting $131,746
Professional Fund Raising $1,901,169
Advertising & Promotions $146,299
Office Expenses $12,451,303
IT $254,319
Occupancy (rent) $2,490,195
Travel $4,085,509
Depreciation $1,572,823
Insurance $215,654
Outside Services $20,915,404
Meetings and events $9,637,863
Direct Response Service $6,930,429
Promotional Items $4,055,567
All other expenses $3,659,493
Joint Costs (Expense from educational campaign and fund raising solicitation.)
$25,576,675
Overhead Expenses $115,199,467.00

The above data was sourced from http://www.guidestar.org/. They are a leading source of nonprofit information whose mission is to revolutionize philanthropy by providing information that advances transparency, enables users to make better decisions, and encourages charitable giving. Guidestar is not a charity evaluator or watchdog. They are a 501(c)(3) public charity that collects, organizes, and presents the information in an easy-to-understand format while remaining neutral. An example of this is showing how one charity compares with similar charities (Top Score is 80.0) doing the same type of work as noted below:

Charity Score Rating
Wounded Warrior Project - FL 54.39 «««
USO of Illinois - IL 58.16 «««
DAV Service Trust - KY 55.36 «««
Hope For The Warriors® - NC 65.58 ««««
Navy SEAL Foundation - VA 68.76 ««««

See:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...2#.UokjeLXTnIV for more data on WWP. Readers are encouraged to use such sources in determining how their donations will be spent before making them.

Wounded Warriors Project A Legal Scam

by Alex Graham

Wounded Vets are big money… Just when we thought it was safe to come out of the woods after the last news of the Big Six VSOs padding their bank accounts on the backs of all our disabled, along comes this article and investigation revealing nothing is sacred among thieves.

Sad to say, the Wounded Warrior Project is bled dry by a top heavy, greedy executive structure and the remaining funds are disbursed to multi-tier distribution organizations with similar management structures. By the time the money actually goes to direct benefits for veterans, there is probably less than 10% that reaches them.

Below are results of an investigation by a retired USMC Colonel:
· Compensation for the top ten WWP employees runs from $150K to $333K per officer annually.
· WWP was the center of controversy involving their anti-Second Amendment position…

Bureaucracy,, taking the fun out of life one stupid rule at a time

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014, 15:30   #2
ratrodgarage
Registered

FALaholic #: 51724
Unfortunately isn't this about the average of most any charity organizations?

Typically if I have extra from time to time, I will give the person on the corner a meal or some money. Last year I saw a man at a bus stop on thanksgiving on my way home...I stopped and talked to him for about 10 minutes...realized he really was not going anywhere for a meal...I gave him 30 bucks and told him he could eat anywhere he wanted now.

He wouldn't let me take him anywhere, but I hope he got a meal.

Large organizations, are just that....an organization. Someone at the top is getting well paid. Those positions should be wealthy people doing charity consulting. Never gonna happen.

My 2 cents.
ratrodgarage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014, 17:42   #3
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Some not all.

I stopped giving to the red Ross and instead give to the salvation army. (in 2010 when I looked it up the first was WELL into 6 figures, while the head of the SA took home $40k)

Do due dilligence.
Nomad, 2nd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014, 18:28   #4
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
Known about WWP for a long time now. I give here among other places. http://www.soldiersangels.org/
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014, 21:56   #5
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
a$$holes...
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014, 10:21   #6
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
I dont know...the numbers look pretty shitty... and numbers dont lie...but I know a couple of Vets that have worked on some of their projects and swear their the greatest thing going
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014, 14:54   #7
one hand clapping
Registered

FALaholic #: 35299
If yer on the down slope side of "trickle down economics" you might not know what the head waters look like.
So the crumbs that crooks let fall theu the cracks to the vets , might seem a god send to someone needing those crumbs at that moment.
Old February 21, 2014, 15:07   #8
ExCdnSoldierInTx
DaneBramage
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Yes, it is a bloody disgrace.

But the best scammer out there, IMHO, is Goodwill Enterprises.
How the hell did they ever get the idea out there that they were a not for profit charity?
It's quite the trick, convincing Americans to GIVE you your product for resale.
I wish I could get MY suppliers to GIVE me my product!
Old February 21, 2014, 16:00   #9
xtremerange
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4305
Not trying to defend them but it seems that a lot of these expenses are probably going to assist:

And then the is the ubiquitous t-shirts (not that they help anyone except the homeless who get them donated after a while):

Overall it does seem like a charity setup to perpetuate itself more than helping out people in need.

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. --Mark Twain
xtremerange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014, 16:40   #10
ratrodgarage
Registered

FALaholic #: 51724
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerange View Post
Not trying to defend them but it seems that a lot of these expenses are probably going to assist:

And then the is the ubiquitous t-shirts (not that they help anyone except the homeless who get them donated after a while):

Overall it does seem like a charity setup to perpetuate itself more than helping out people in need.
Something to think about with promotional items and events...I used to run events all the time when I worked for the man....When you do a meeting or conference at a hotel or really any meeting hall, a typical lunch is 30-40 a head and so on. Those stand up poles for a vinyl banner is easily $1500 and that is without the custom vinyl. Promotional materials are one of the most overpriced items in our country...So most of that money was wasted on those items and not tshirts and water bottles you may be imagining.
ratrodgarage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014, 18:33   #11
catmguy445
Registered

FALaholic #: 50311
If you want to donate to an organization that actually helps Vererans, ALL money donated to the VFW, American Legion, and DAV (Disabled American Veterans) goes directly to help Veterans and their families. The Salvation Army uses almost 100% of their donation to help the needy. The USO doesn't do much for Veterans, but they are a huge help to active duty servicemen and women.

Virtually all other "charitable" organizations who say they are helping Veterans are scams that are set up and maintained solely to legally steal money from the public. There are also civilian supposedly "non-profit" organizations which include, but are not limited to, United Way and Goodwill (those are just two of the major offenders), and the Red Cross, although they do perform some useful services, also do a lot of bad things to military people. I used to have a list of all the major "charities" which are only about half a notch above outright scams, but I can't find it now.

The main point here is that if you want to donate money to a worthwhile cause that actually helps military veterans or service members, only donate to the organizations in the first paragraph of this post. Thanks.
Old February 21, 2014, 20:52   #12
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
Once they find out the idea can be profitable, it doesn't take long for the do-gooder founders of these outfits to find a way to line their pockets in the name of charity. Am I surprised that they don't support the Second Amendment? No, and neither should you...a charity is something for nothing - sound familiar?
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2014, 19:53   #13
Peconga
Registered

FALaholic #: 1881
The WWP spending list also shows this one:

Without further details, that amount could be hiding a LOT of graft. It could also be inadvertently hiding the Good Deeds they are doing, if any.

"Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt
Peconga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2014, 01:08   #14
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peconga View Post
The WWP spending list also shows this one:

Without further details, that amount could be hiding a LOT of graft. It could also be inadvertently hiding the Good Deeds they are doing, if any.
Negative. They would advertise their good deeds. This 20 million is pure theft. These guys need to be dropped off in a minefield in Afghanistan at night.
Old February 23, 2014, 22:35   #15
Poccur
Registered

FALaholic #: 9972
I asked the company I work for to contribute to the dog charity I work for...they said 'no' they prefer to donate to causes that might return a cash value on their investment...they donate to to wounded warrior...

Our dog charity is a small local dog rescue, 100% of what we collect goes to the dogs, not one person takes a wage....

FYI - donate local if you want to make a difference....small charities are out there slugging, get behind them.

Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.
-------------------------------------
English by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
-------------------------------------
"I would say politically I am somewhere between Burt from Tremors and Tackleberry from Police Academy" ....Me
Poccur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2014, 23:23   #16
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poccur View Post
I asked the company I work for to contribute to the dog charity I work for...they said 'no' they prefer to donate to causes that might return a cash value on their investment...they donate to to wounded warrior...

Our dog charity is a small local dog rescue, 100% of what we collect goes to the dogs, not one person takes a wage....

FYI - donate local if you want to make a difference....small charities are out there slugging, get behind them.
I would suggest you print out the information from the original poster and the charity guide web page and prove to them that they are contributing to a bunch of scammers.
Old February 23, 2014, 23:26   #17
Arby
Registered

FALaholic #: 653
Quote:
That's a really good point. Thanks for the reminder!
Arby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2014, 23:57   #18
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Quote:

This is exactly what I do. When I make a donation, I look the program director in the eye and I can see for myself exactly where the money goes.
Old February 24, 2014, 00:20   #19
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
i give at church.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote