The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 20, 2013, 18:18   #1
topfli8979
Registered

FALaholic #: 72746
FN FAL Value??

Hey Guys Im new here, just looking for some help. I have a guy wanting to trade me a rifle for a really nice atv I have. Looking for the value on said gun.

Here is what I know
its a FN Fal, Imbel receiver,fresh cericoat. He "SAYS" early unmarked imbel receiver,NO IMPORT marks anywhere on the rifle, and hand built by a guy in South texas that only does FAL's.

He says it would bring $1800-$2,000.

Seems a little high to me, any input would be appreciated.
topfli8979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2013, 18:24   #2
topfli8979
Registered

Old November 20, 2013, 18:24   #3
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Pictures? Really need pictures to determine value.

$1800-$2000 better have one realllllllllllly nice kit....as in NOS Belgian, Steyr, Lithgow, Canadian etc.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2013, 18:38   #4
topfli8979
Registered

I added a picture
Old November 20, 2013, 22:14   #5
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
no picture here, but really, $1800? most FNFAL are no more than $1000 even at panic prices. i bought an inch gun last winter for $500. real value is closer to $800-900 for most types of re-built FAL on imbel receivers. only a rare variant like a canadian heavy barrel or a true complete imported factory build is worth much more than that to an advanced collector.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2013, 00:33   #6
topfli8979
Registered

yea just figured out it wont let me post pictures because I am new.
Old November 21, 2013, 00:42   #7
ExCdnSoldierInTx
DaneBramage
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. You wanna pay 2K for a frankenfal, go for it. Most people here wouldn't pay 2K for even the best clone here.
Even a perfect Canadian light barrel made with NOS parts on a correct repro receiver would be hard pressed to make 2K.
But hey, if you love and will keep it, go for it. You can always make more money, you might not ever see a rifle like that again...
Old November 21, 2013, 08:00   #8
one hand clapping
Registered

FALaholic #: 35299
If the seller is claiming that it is a REAL FN FAL then it would be from belgium and have import marks IIRC. The Imbel rec is a factory part and if assembled on a Imbel kit, it would be ALMOST factory as I have several--BUT they are not REAL FN's -like in factory, they are restorations of factory rifles.
I also possess a REAL FN receiver that I plan to restore to a early Belgian model. It will be made of real FN parts, but I am not sure it would be correct to call it factory ,

My point is -The rifle in question is probably NOT worth what the owner is claiming, though it is a compilation of real parts and that group of parts are usually really good -carried alot ,shot little. Same with the upper . They are no longer allowed to be imported , so in the future it will increase in value.
I wouldn't pay more than $1300 for a Imbel on Imbel in excelent condition.
Of course I'm thrifty and have rolled my own, for almost 40% less.

Good luck, as these are great rifles.
Old November 21, 2013, 08:56   #9
Super B
Registered

FALaholic #: 404
The problem with parts guns built up by somebody you don't know is that they MAY not function...........$2000 is about $1000 too much.
Old November 21, 2013, 10:25   #10
Ironhandjohn
Registered

FALaholic #: 11561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super B View Post
The problem with parts guns built up by somebody you don't know is that they MAY not function...........$2000 is about $1000 too much.

What he said,,,,
Old November 21, 2013, 10:37   #11
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote;
"Here is what I know
its a FN Fal, Imbel receiver,fresh cericoat. He "SAYS" early unmarked imbel receiver,NO IMPORT marks anywhere on the rifle, and hand built by a guy in South texas that only does FAL's."

It is not an FN (Belgian) if it has an Imbel (Brazil) receiver. Imbels are great receivers and licenced by FN. Where did all the other parts come from? If they are Imbel also, it's a $1000 to $1200 rifle, tops.

My FAL's are "hand-built" by a guy in Maine that not only does FALs, but AR's, Mausers, 1911's, and Winchester 94's as well. They seem to work pretty well, but admittedly, he doesn't do Cerocoat.

Last edited by MAINER; November 21, 2013 at 10:44.
MAINER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2013, 10:55   #12
topfli8979
Registered

I appreciate all the input guys, Im still trying to figure out the picture issue. Do I have to post a certain amount of times before it will let me post attachments? Im on the fence about the gun right now, supposed to meet the guy today, but I am having second thoughts.

Last edited by topfli8979; November 21, 2013 at 11:10.
Old November 21, 2013, 11:09   #13
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
to post pics you either have to be a contributor, or you have to use the link function to link them from another location on the net. if there is anywhere else on the net you can host them, do so, right click the image there, select "copy image location", then paste it into the window that pops open when you hit the little colored landscape option icon on the reply page here. capische?
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2013, 11:17   #14
topfli8979
Registered

Old November 21, 2013, 12:40   #15
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
Unfortunately it could be anything under the paint. It's metric, most likely Imbel but could also be a clapped out South African/Rhodie kit. Either way it's unlikely that the receiver and parts are worth more than $700 total. You have to have the rifle in hand to even guess condition of the parts under the paint.

Personally I'd jump on the deal myself, but I'd value my $250 Honda ATC110 at $2200 and make the swap even up. Good deal for him that way.

RUE?
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2013, 13:07   #16
Ironhandjohn
Registered

FALaholic #: 11561
Uhhh...

No way in Hell I'd trade a four-wheeler for that. Kev nailed it that there could be anything under that nasty paint, and certainly not $2000 worth.
Old November 21, 2013, 15:49   #17
topfli8979
Registered

Thanks for the help guys, Im gonna back out of deal. Keep my eye open for a original "NON PAINTED" Blah, FAL. Thanks again
Old November 21, 2013, 15:57   #18
ExCdnSoldierInTx
DaneBramage
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by one hand clapping View Post
If the seller is claiming that it is a REAL FN FAL then it would be from belgium and have import marks IIRC. The Imbel rec is a factory part and if assembled on a Imbel kit, it would be ALMOST factory as I have several--BUT they are not REAL FN's -like in factory, they are restorations of factory rifles.
I also possess a REAL FN receiver that I plan to restore to a early Belgian model. It will be made of real FN parts, but I am not sure it would be correct to call it factory ,

My point is -The rifle in question is probably NOT worth what the owner is claiming, though it is a compilation of real parts and that group of parts are usually really good -carried alot ,shot little. Same with the upper . They are no longer allowed to be imported , so in the future it will increase in value.
I wouldn't pay more than $1300 for a Imbel on Imbel in excelent condition.
Of course I'm thrifty and have rolled my own, for almost 40% less.

Good luck, as these are great rifles.
And to add to what OHC just said: Pretty much every FAL, either inch or Metric, is going to be a cobbled together rifle made of spare parts.
That's just the way it is here. WE can't buy genuine FALs in this Country anymore.

There are a couple important exceptions: The "G" series rifles imported before the ban, and the odd Belgian and L1A1 imported before the ban.
These are all very, very expensive.
1K, give or take a bit, will get you your choice of many FALs. they will be assembled rifles, but if they were done by good FAL builder from parts gathered by an owner who knows EXACTLY what he/she was looking for, you will have an awesome, high quality piece of kit that will give you years of trouble free service.

Just decide what you want: Inch, or Metric. Do you want an example of a certain Country's rifle, or just something that look, functions, and shoots well?
Obviously, the more specific you get, especially if you gravitiate towards the more rare or desireable, the price will increase simply because of supply and demand.

But for a good shooter, 800-1100 is about all.

Oh, and one more thing; Buy from the MP here! If you buy from a reputable person here, you'll get a good piece that was done right.
Old November 21, 2013, 19:44   #19
zinj
Registered

FALaholic #: 40799
A. As other posters said, the guy is trying to screw you.
B. The seller knows so little about the rifle that rear site is backwards in the pics.

EDIT: Also, as a general rule, unless the owner has documentation that the coating was put on by a known professional who did a proper metal finish such as parkerizing underneath, it degrades the value. Most people put on stuff like duracoat or ceracote because they have a gun that had the shit beaten out of it and they are trying to hide it without spending much money.

Last edited by zinj; November 21, 2013 at 19:50.
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2013, 20:50   #20
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
Original import Imbel/SAR-48 at that price, NIB or close to it? Yes.

Rare or at least uncommon variant rebuilt from a kit as correct as possible on an import receiver at that price? Yes.

For sale in a state where year of manufacture/import allows possession and there is a limited pool of such beasts available? Maybe... on the low end.

This is just another kit build, and it ain't even a "faithful to original spec" build with the ceracoat. You could duplicate it for much less just buying parts/pieces on GB and here in the Marketplace forum. I sold a mostly imbel on DCI with lightweigh DSA lower a few months ago for $925 with 100 rounds and 2 mags. Turned around and bought a buddy's G1 built on DCI for same amount. You should be able to get a fantastic shooter in Imbel, STG58, G1, or just about any flavor for $800-1200.
fnogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2013, 12:02   #21
topfli8979
Registered

The main thing that steered me away was the paint, I just didnt like to color really, regardless of condition. Made the gun look plastic. When I told the guy I was backing out, he offered 9 extra mags,and 300 rounds with the deal. I assume he was trying to hide something.
Old November 22, 2013, 13:10   #22
BC
Registered

FALaholic #: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfli8979 View Post
I assume he was trying to hide something.
He's not necessarily trying to hide anything, but it's absolutely critical/necessary for you to get into the details when buying a FAL. You got to know what you're buying into.
BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2013, 15:04   #23
ExCdnSoldierInTx
DaneBramage
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC View Post
He's not necessarily trying to hide anything, but it's absolutely critical/necessary for you to get into the details when buying a FAL. You got to know what you're buying into.
Another good reason to buy from members on the MP.
Old November 23, 2013, 06:41   #24
BC
Registered

FALaholic #: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
Another good reason to buy from members on the MP.
Buy the gun, not the story. Nor should it be the seller's membership or seniority.

With so many "rode hard and put up wet" poor condition parts kits imported and got built into guns by the experienced, not experienced and anyone in the between, buying a parts gun can be a real nightmare if one doesn't know what he's doing.

Last edited by BC; November 23, 2013 at 06:47.
BC is online now   Reply With Quote