The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Old October 24, 2013, 11:28   #1
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
MTech 151

Anyone used any of the knives available thru MTech? Chinese made but cheap enuff to do destruction tests on- or just use in high-loss situations.
I bought a 151 Trailmaster clone- I figured that since I have 3 Carbon-5 TM's I can without dishonor buy an M-Tech clone for $30.00 bucks, delivered. It was purchased as a "toy" rather than a working blade.
Was surprised when it came... a nearly exact copy of the TM except that the TM is 5/8ths thick while the 151 is 1/4 inches thick. Otherwise they look about the same. The 151 guard tho is ferrous, not brass. It is marked Handcrafted in China from American design. The grip seems to be "kraton" in comparison to my TMs, failed to find any difference. All is sprayed with the tacticool black crud. The stainless blade will take a good edge- it kissed my thumb while playin with it.. knife got it's baptism of blood. And I mean "kissed", no gouge or chop.. Pretty sharp. Dunno yet how LONG it will stay sharp, some of these steels can lose their edge if one just looks at them.
The blade steel is "440", no A B or C attached. Who knows, could be some kinda Chinese mystery steel, tho it IS stainless. I did sharpen the point back-edge about 3 inches or so- it took a good edge there too. Also used a belt to bring the edge close to where I wanted it and then I finished it with oil-stones.
The sheath is some sort of kydex, but somewhat light for a working sheath. Once the blade has proven it's strength I'll throw together a leather sheath, which have done for my TM's. I carry it stuck in my belt, left side. Thinking about it, not sure the sheath would protect me like thick leather would if subjected to force.
If they made a recon scout-type I would probably collect one of those too.. OK so the knife is a rip off of a Lynn Thompson design, but then the TM's are being made in Taiwan now anyway.. at this point the Red Chinese seems like a good "value" but wouldnt necessarily trust my life to it as I would my old TMs. And I don't particularly like stainless steel knives unless good attention is given to the heat treatment. Hard to say what the heat treat of these blades are.
There are some tests and reviews online if you google MTech 151.
Anyway there it is. Feel free to comment! Thank you... Dun
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats

Last edited by STGThndr; October 24, 2013 at 11:43.
STGThndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2013, 20:46   #2
BIG 54R
Registered

FALaholic #: 20183
I have an Mtech folder I use for work as a "throw away" in case of breakage or loss that has been a true surprise!

It has been very durable and has a strong clip that has never loosened...can't say this about some of my way more costly big name brand folders.

It was very sharp (drop point) and takes a nice edge...also say's "440"...no model name or number...green scales of some hard plastic? type.

All in all a very good $10 corner store knife...have been looking for another of the same type with no luck.

I would/will try them again...
BIG 54R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2013, 22:16   #3
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I have found Taiwan made knives to be of fairly decent quality lately.I have some ColdSteel UWK and Oda knives made there,that hold an edge pretty damn good. I avoid Red Chinese.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote