Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 07, 2013, 14:40   #1
D. Short
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 6894
Welding Bolt Action Rifle Receiver ??

OK, I may have really screwed up with my latest impulse purchase!? Found a gorgeous CZ550 rifle, with a really low price. On closer inspection, found the receiver saw-cut in half. Everything else is in perfect condition....enough to bring you to tears! In any event, I thought if people are welding Bren gun receivers together, certainly a bolt action receiver should not be that difficult. Right!? So can this be done? If so, do you know of anyone who might want to take this on? Fire away..
D. Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2013, 15:52   #2
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
It's easily done. The locking lugs are in the receiver ring so the weld doesn't affect the strength of the action(other than the possibility of the third 'safety' lug which is located at the rear. That lug doesn't carry any load UNLESS the forward lugs give way which is HIGHLY unlikely. Even so, it would probably have no trouble containing the bolt and the welded receiver would provide more than enough strength.

Shortening/lengthening receivers was a fairly common custom alteration back in the day, and that also required shortening/lengthening the bolt to fit, so it's more than possible. It was a fairly costly modification, but just rewelding the receiver to original length should not be that bad. Problem is; there hasn't been much call for that type of work in a generation so finding someone qualified and willing may not be so easy.

RUE?
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2013, 16:56   #3
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 24447
I would TIG weld it and re-temper and check the specs for the proper Rockwell hardness, ya should be good to go then. Always check the headspace before firing.

An ARMED society is a POLITE society.
ALL FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2013, 17:58   #4
nearmisses
The LTR guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41474
Try Dennis Olsen in Plains, Mt. He's your best bet.
Old September 07, 2013, 20:11   #5
DYNOMIKE
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 11982
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Short View Post
OK, I may have really screwed up with my latest impulse purchase!? Found a gorgeous CZ550 rifle, with a really low price. On closer inspection, found the receiver saw-cut in half. Everything else is in perfect condition....enough to bring you to tears! In any event, I thought if people are welding Bren gun receivers together, certainly a bolt action receiver should not be that difficult. Right!? So can this be done? If so, do you know of anyone who might want to take this on? Fire away..
Don't take this the wrong way but HOW could someone NOT know the receiver was CUT?
Was this a Gunbroker purchase?
Did the seller misrepresent the item?
Why would anyone cut a CZ550 in half?
Old September 07, 2013, 20:19   #6
tdb59
Grey Haired Pict
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL FAL View Post
I would TIG weld it and re-temper and check the specs for the proper Rockwell hardness, ya should be good to go then. Always check the headspace before firing.
Yup.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309596

Blanchard Metals in Salt Lake City does re-heat treating.

http://www.bmproc.com/
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” Sam Adams
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2013, 21:00   #7
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOMIKE View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but HOW could someone NOT know the receiver was CUT?
Was this a Gunbroker purchase?
Did the seller misrepresent the item?
Why would anyone cut a CZ550 in half?
Some kind of confiscation, maybe imported?

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2013, 23:44   #8
D. Short
Registered
Contributor

Thanks guys for the insights and the lead on a gunsmith! I was afraid I purchased a very large paperweight.

DynoMike: There was no disception here, I knew exactly what I was getting. From any distance, the gun looked normal. (it was all "put together") It wasn't until you handled it that you noticed the clean cuts above the woodline. As to why anyone would perform this butchery.....I never did get the story!?
Old September 08, 2013, 09:00   #9
DYNOMIKE
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 11982
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
Some kind of confiscation, maybe imported?
I thought of that but it's a CZ550 so importation would be a snap, weve sold a good numbver of 550's at the shop..
I suppose confiscation could be the reason though? Maybe a mandatory destruction from some LE agency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Short View Post
Thanks guys for the insights and the lead on a gunsmith! I was afraid I purchased a very large paperweight.

DynoMike: There was no disception here, I knew exactly what I was getting. From any distance, the gun looked normal. (it was all "put together") It wasn't until you handled it that you noticed the clean cuts above the woodline. As to why anyone would perform this butchery.....I never did get the story!?
Well when ya get it done you will have a most excellent rifle, I very much like the CZ550 line..
Glad to hear it wasn't a shady deal and as to WHY the Butchery?? Man I can't figure that out at all??
Please keep us informed as you get this rolling, I hope the repair expense isn't excessive..
Old September 08, 2013, 13:39   #10
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOMIKE View Post
I thought of that but it's a CZ550 so importation would be a snap, weve sold a good numbver of 550's at the shop..
I suppose confiscation could be the reason though? Maybe a mandatory destruction from some LE agency?

Well when ya get it done you will have a most excellent rifle, I very much like the CZ550 line..
Glad to hear it wasn't a shady deal and as to WHY the Butchery?? Man I can't figure that out at all??
Please keep us informed as you get this rolling, I hope the repair expense isn't excessive..
Importation of a destroyed receiver shouldn't even require paperwork.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 09, 2013, 10:16   #11
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL FAL View Post
since the original temper is unknown, and since stress relief begins at 1100* F, which is an oxidizing temperature, as a welding engineer i would not recommend that you perform any post weld heat treatment if you use the GTAW method. i would recommend that the weld is strength under-matched, using an ER 70 filler. the rear of the receiver is just a "parts tray", so you do not need strength matching wire and post weld heat treatment.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 09, 2013, 14:12   #12
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
Just out of curiosity, what caliber is it in?

I too am confused as to why someone would do it. The 550 comes in two lengths to begin with.
chet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 09, 2013, 18:07   #13
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

I'm sure it was saw-cut and sold at police auction. I've bought dozens of 'non-guns' that way.

RUE?
Old September 09, 2013, 18:30   #14
ALL FAL
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 24447
Aww, well, .Gov. starting to take out the Deadly CZ Sniper rifles...

An ARMED society is a POLITE society.
ALL FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 09, 2013, 22:18   #15
justashooter
Registered

in reply, you can have this "quick and dirty" repaired by a muffler mechanic with a mig gun in 5 minutes, or you can have it done in such a way as to appear factory new. our PM assumes a perfect repair in terms of the 5 hour labour estimate and mandrel comments.

for public consumption: the best write-up on this kind of work was written long ago, and included in Dunlap's Gunsmithing (1950).
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
Old September 10, 2013, 09:06   #16
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Many times the guns are cut for 'normal' LE reasons. Could be a 'crime' gun. Could be a turn-in. Could be something like felon in 'possession'. I've gotten a few where the serial number was defaced and it cannot legally be sold or possessed by anyone unless it's been destroyed. That happens a lot with recovered stolen property. Some departments sell what they can intact. Some don't sell anything intact and destroy it all before sale.

Keep in mind that it's a non-gun while it's cut, but it becomes 'manufacturing' when it's welded back together. Generally speaking, there are no rules against it if you do it yourself for your own use, but if you have it done by someone else, they'd better be licensed. Chances are, your local muffler shop doesn't maintain the proper licenses for this type of work.

RUE?
Old September 10, 2013, 09:35   #17
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
It'd be interesting to see pics of the weld, too. Bore condition?
chet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2013, 11:20   #18
justashooter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Chances are, your local muffler shop doesn't maintain the proper licenses for this type of work.
it has been accepted practice to recognise that as long as the owner (non-FFL) is present while sparky rolls wire, the owner is still in control of the process, and the welder is just a sub-contractor.

Old September 28, 2013, 23:00   #19
juanni
TROLL

FALaholic #: 2439
I think the cost of alining, welding, reshaping and reblueing would be far higher than the cost of a new gun, - minus selling off your useable parts.

...............juanni
Old November 19, 2013, 01:21   #20
D. Short
Registered
Contributor

Well guys, I was hoping at this point to be posting results...but no such luck. Had a local company I was waiting on as they went through the FFL licensing process, but now they are not comfortable with the idea. The rifle is a .308, and it looks almost unfired. So I am asking one more time if there is anyone willing to perform the welding, or if it is just time to part it out!? Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.JPG (152.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 008.JPG (147.2 KB, 50 views)
Old November 19, 2013, 01:52   #21
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
You might try TIG'ing it with some rod that blues well. Brownell's used to sell that. Don't know what the mix was. That's a lot of gap to fill, but it can be done. Would have to use a mandrel to keep the receiver straight, and weld a little on one side then the other to try to keep it from pulling so bad.

Grind it down, etch the first 5 back in, and re-blue.

If you're going to pay to have it done, probably not worth it. Would like to see it saved though.