The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old August 29, 2013, 10:53   #1
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Seemed like a lot of food, cheap

Ran through the local supermarket last night to get a few things and as I was walking out I thought that it seemed like a lot of grub for the money. I spent $22 and had three sacks, one of which was a 5 lb sack of spuds. I originally went to get some dried beans & such to add to the "hurricane" pantry and to cook with some left over ham I have sitting around. I got 4 different kinds of beans in 1 & 2 lb sacks. Also got a pound of rice, the aforementioned potatoes, three pretty good sized packages of assorted pastas, a 3+ pound “family pack” of ground beef, and some matchstick carrots. One of my little splurges is matchstick carrots (and grape tomatoes) for my salads. Anyway, all those beans, rice, pasta, and spuds make A LOT of food. Add in the hamburger or some other “on sale” meat and a fellow ought to be able to eat pretty good for a WHILE. By contrast, I went to lunch at a chain BBQ joint with a gal-friend yesterday and the bill (before tip) was $23! We each had the “dieter’s plate” which is an unlimited salad bar and your choice of a meat and we each got tea to drink. So, for less than a couple of lunches I bought enough food for several DAYS.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2013, 12:16   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
You got potatoes and hamburger, all you're missing is beets for "Red Flannel Hash".

Maybe you would go shopping with me? I spent $60 in a supermarket yesterday and still don't have anything to eat for supper!

Dried beans are about the most bang for a buck you can get these days. Yellow Eye, Soldier and Jacob's Cattle are my favorites. Good for the traditional Baked bean recipe I use. I also use Pinto, Red, Kidney and Lentils occasionally. Lima Beans jes suk!, and after spending a half dozen years in Uncle Sam's Yacht Club, Navy beans will never again appear on my menu

The price of rice has increased in the past few years, especially the premium stuff like Jasmine, etc., but a pound still goes a long ways.

I've had worse than a plate of Red beans and rice and a chunk of cornbread.
Old August 29, 2013, 16:01   #3
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
I've had worse than a plate of Red beans and rice and a chunk of cornbread.
That's right. In fact, for my money, a big ol' plate of brown beans (pintos) over cornbread with some onion diced up on top and a slice or two of fresh onion on the side makes a damned good meal. Have yourself a big buttered hunk of cornbread to sop it up too. Wash (warsh for you Missouri folk )it down with some iced tea and you're good to go.

bon appetit ya'll!
Old August 30, 2013, 00:35   #4
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
The less processed the more inexpensive.

the more processed, the more expensive.
Nomad, 2nd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2013, 12:22   #5
Timber Wolf
Registered

I soaked a pound-and-a-half or so of the beans overnight and cooked them last night with the cubed-up ham and my last couple large Vadalia onions. Made 5 quarts of beaniehamandonion, I will be eating the stuff for a while. Good thing it is a holiday weekend and I won't be around folks for a few days. The dog does not care if I pass a little gas.

Old August 30, 2013, 22:38   #6
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
The less processed the more inexpensive.

the more processed, the more expensive.
And the same inverse relation exists for nutrition and healthfulness, usually.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2013, 23:25   #7
tngunman
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 64639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
That's right. In fact, for my money, a big ol' plate of brown beans (pintos) over cornbread with some onion diced up on top and a slice or two of fresh onion on the side makes a damned good meal. Have yourself a big buttered hunk of cornbread to sop it up too. Wash (warsh for you Missouri folk )it down with some iced tea and you're good to go.

bon appetit ya'll!
That's one of my fave meals
tngunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013, 08:43   #8
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I soaked a pound-and-a-half or so of the beans overnight and cooked them last night with the cubed-up ham and my last couple large Vadalia onions. Made 5 quarts of beaniehamandonion, I will be eating the stuff for a while. Good thing it is a holiday weekend and I won't be around folks for a few days. The dog does not care if I pass a little gas.
Beans and Saturday night were one and the same as a kid. One way to lower the gas output is to simmer the beans for 5 to 10 minutes in fresh water with 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda. This is after the overnight soak. The beans are then drained, rinsed and put in the pot to cook.

This extra step was usually eliminated in the Lumber and Hunting Camps where it was every man for himself.
Old August 31, 2013, 22:08   #9
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
A little tip for soaking yer beans. Put some chicken bouillon, salt, pepper, garlic powder in your soak water. Adds a lot of flavor.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
The Duke
MACV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 03, 2013, 09:21   #10
Timber Wolf
Registered

All this talk of eating and cornbread got me to thinking over the weekend. I had always done my cornbread as muffins, because, well no good reason just always had. I got to thinking about doing some in a cast iron skillet, or my flat "griddle" to be exact. It is my favorite piece of cast iron cookware, a 10” round affair with 3/8” or so sides. I made up one box of Jiffy brand corn bread mix according to the directions except I put a half can of kernel corn in the mix. I poured it out on the griddle and tossed it in the oven for 17 or so minutes. Made some pretty fine corn bread iffin’ I did do it myself. Went well with my beans and ham. Even my 10 year old got a little excited about eating beans, ham, and cornbread! Needless to say, I have a new favorite way of making cornbread, on the no-clean cast iron griddle.

Old September 03, 2013, 16:41   #11
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Corn bread can get a little boring so that idea of putting corn in it sounds good to me. Ever done it with "Creamed Corn"? Was served some Cornbread with onions in it once, some place in Arkansas I think.

Have always done Cornbread, biscuits and most everything else in cast iron cook wear. Must have 200 pounds or so of the stuff. I do use SS pots for soups and anything that has tomatoes as an ingredient. Cast Iron doesn't like the acid and it makes food taste a bit odd.

Sounds like you got an apple that didn't fall far from the tree. Good deal, nice to have a dining buddy with discriminating taste.
Old September 03, 2013, 18:08   #12
mpnv
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64169
Quote:
Corn bread can get a little boring so that idea of putting corn in it sounds good to me. Ever done it with "Creamed Corn"? Was served some Cornbread with onions in it once, some place in Arkansas I think.

Have always done Cornbread, biscuits and most everything else in cast iron cook wear. Must have 200 pounds or so of the stuff. I do use SS pots for soups and anything that has tomatoes as an ingredient. Cast Iron doesn't like the acid and it makes food taste a bit odd.

Sounds like you got an apple that didn't fall far from the tree. Good deal, nice to have a dining buddy with discriminating taste.
Stay away from Aluminum Pots as well..
mpnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 03, 2013, 19:07   #13
Roadmarker
Ever vigilant
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63605
[QUOTE=Texgunner;3676493] Wash (warsh for you Missouri folk )
Good way to tell a Montanan too! They loved me in Seattle...
Roadmarker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 03, 2013, 20:21   #14
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Thanks a lot guys. All this talk about beans and corn bread stuck like super glue. Had to make some for dinner tonight. Big cast iron skillet of corn bread, ham and beans, and fried pork chops. Since my wife and I have a habit of having greens with our chops, I also fixed some brussel sprouts. Now I gotta go sit like Al Bundy and relax.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2013, 17:19   #15
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

WOW! I'm feeling full just reading about that meal!

So, what did you "warsh" it all down with?

Brussel sprouts? I hear that if you sauté them, they don't taste as bad like they normally do.
Old September 08, 2013, 15:46   #16
Peconga
Registered

FALaholic #: 1881
Quote:
Brussel sprouts? I hear that if you sauté them, they don't taste as bad like they normally do.
Partially cook the Brussel sprouts in boiling water (or microwave), drain, and sauté with olive oil and garlic. Add balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and and a touch of grated lemon rind. Yum-yum! Will even convert the Haters

As for beans, Americans tend to forget that most of the world lives on "Beans-and-Something" every day, where "Something" is rice, maize (tortillas), or wheat (flat bread). Only people at the very top of the economic food chain can afford meat as a primary protein source.

"Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt
Peconga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 08, 2013, 19:42   #17
4x401
Guy-Epics conscience...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
The dog does not care if I pass a little gas.
Good dog!
Old September 09, 2013, 07:17   #18
Timber Wolf
Registered

I did another "pone" of cornbread last night and used a half can of cream corn this time. It was a little more moist than the kernal corn batch. I am going to have to do some with some fine chop onions too.

Old September 09, 2013, 09:53   #19
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

^^ This is good. My cornbread could use some "moist" in it. Don't do cornbread a lot, my favorite is BISQUITS!
Old September 09, 2013, 10:59   #20
LAFAL
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 85
I grew up with my parents serving us corn bread in buttermilk. I really don't mind the stuff. When I was pledging a frat in college the active members thought it great fun to make us eat or drink various things to see what kind of reponse it would give and what we would do to "help out a brother". One night they came out with a half gallon of buttermilk for us to drink. I ended up drinking most of the whole thing cause the city boys who'd never tasted it before barfed theirs up. Crumble up some corn bread in it and let it soak it up. Eat it with a spoon. Yummy.