Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Police Issues

Notices

Old July 27, 2013, 22:48   #1
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
95 year old tasered;dead

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative...e-2722492.html
A 95-year-old resident of an Illinois nursing home died early Saturday, hours after being shocked with a Taser and bean bag rounds in a confrontation with police.

Authorities said John Warna was a resident at Victory Centre of Park Forest, on the 100 block of South Main Street in the south suburb. He was threatening paramedics and staff with a cane and a metal shoehorn when police arrived at the complex, they said.

....a 95 year old? They can't PEACEFULLY subdue a 95 year old? Without resorting to lethal methods?
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2013, 23:12   #2
Right Side Up
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
In the article is says the police stated he had a 12" knife?

If so, well.............

If all he really had was a cane and a shoehorn, then it was too much force.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 02:54   #3
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
He shoulda been grateful they didn't use flashbangs and the SWAT sniper on him.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 07:13   #4
shlomo
Registered

FALaholic #: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
In the article is says the police stated he had a 12" knife?

If so, well.............

If all he really had was a cane and a shoehorn, then it was too much force.
Even if it was a knife, it was too much force. All ya gotta do with a guy that old is wait fifteen or twenty minutes until he falls asleep, and then take him.
Old July 28, 2013, 09:21   #5
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlomo View Post
Even if it was a knife, it was too much force. All ya gotta do with a guy that old is wait fifteen or twenty minutes until he falls asleep, and then take him.
Yep, pretty much sums it up. In fifteen minutes he'd probably forget why he was pissed too.
Gary
Old July 28, 2013, 10:34   #6
Douglas S Graham
Registered

FALaholic #: 19332
My dad passed last year at 95. It took forever to get him out of the car, and he walked quite slowly. If he had a cane and was a threat, that would be one big laugh. Even with a knife, he woulda' been to slow to do any damage. These actions are BS, IMHO.
Douglas S Graham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 11:40   #7
D P Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 15219
I am sure a 95 year old could be murderously dangerous with a knife....if the intended victim was already sound asleep.
D P Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 11:43   #8
shlomo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by D P Six View Post
I am sure a 95 year old could be murderously dangerous with a knife....if the intended victim was already sound asleep.
Not if the intended victim was sleepwalking. Well...maybe if the nonagenarian had a Lark electric scooter.
Old July 28, 2013, 11:47   #9
308/223shooter
Airborne Combat Engineer
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Even at my age and in my current condition, I'm right certain I could dis-arm a 95 year old with a knife. Now if he was a 95 year old Jedi witha light sabre, I could see why the cops were so frightened of him.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 12:47   #10
Jolly Rodgers
Registered

FALaholic #: 15882
For christ sakes! They could have just mattressed him. Or brought in three officers with those full length riot shields to pin him in a corner.
Jolly Rodgers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 13:24   #11
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Let's face it - they wanted to shoot him. They wanted to watch him wiggle on the end of the wire.

"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God." - Thomas Jefferson

"The constitutions of most of our states [and of the United States] assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property and freedom of the press." - Thomas Jefferson
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 15:23   #12
riffraff2
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 54720
Just another example of our jack booted police serving and protecting the shit out of us.
riffraff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 16:08   #13
shlomo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rodgers View Post
For christ sakes! They could have just mattressed him. Or brought in three officers with those full length riot shields to pin him in a corner.
It would probably take three of those dickless fairies to do it, too.
Old July 28, 2013, 16:34   #14
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff2 View Post
Just another example of our jack booted police serving and killing the shit out of us.
FIFY
Old July 28, 2013, 18:30   #15
Sagerider
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
I feel so much safer now.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 19:22   #16
EricCartmanR1
Hobbyist among Operators
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20092
What's the problem here? This is perfectly normal SOP these days.
EricCartmanR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 21:19   #17
rowjimmy
Have FAL will travel
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartmanR1 View Post
What's the problem here? This is perfectly normal SOP these days.
The fact that it is "perfectly normal SOP these days" IS the problem...

...but don't play coy with us, you knew that.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013, 21:29   #18
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rodgers View Post
Back when I used to trap,I'd catch an occasional dog or cat,and some were downright hostile. The SOP was to take off your Carhart,and simply toss it over the animals head. Hold it down,and it would calm down enough to free it. No biggie. They could have just tossed a blanket over the guy's head,and cinched it down.He'd calm down enough to take away the "dangerous" shoehorn or cane,and they'd put him to bed or whatever.
Old July 29, 2013, 12:26   #19
Jolly Rodgers
Registered

FALaholic #: 15882
Heck, they could bring in animal control and dart him. They treat feral animals more humanely than they do humans.
Jolly Rodgers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013, 12:42   #20
bubbagump
Registered

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff2 View Post
Just another example of our jack booted police serving and protecting the shit out of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlomo View Post
It would probably take three of those dickless fairies to do it, too.
Yeah, but at least they went home at the end of the shift and thats what counts. They probably did wet their pants though, the little darlings ... wonder when they're going to make depends part of the regular duty uniform. I know I'm for it ...
Old July 29, 2013, 15:01   #21
Beryl
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1637
As a former LEO myself, any cop who can't take a knife from a 95 yo man is gutless pussy.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12
Beryl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013, 16:49   #22
Bruce Allen
Registered

FALaholic #: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
As a former LEO myself, any cop who can't take a knife from a 95 yo man is gutless pussy.
I have to agree with this.

Beanbag rounds are very harsh and there are specific distances they are supposed to be used so major injury does not occur.

I simply cannot believe a 95 year old could move fast enough to be a threat that required this.

It's just wrong.
Old July 29, 2013, 18:53   #23
bubbagump
Registered

I cannot believe we're even talking about this. You LEOs out there have some explaining to do, and right now I haven't seen anything to convince me that you think that this is anything other than bad judgement.
Old July 29, 2013, 20:39   #24
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
The police say the man at the assisted living community, threatened them with a butcher knife.

It also says it was a cane and a shoe horn.

Assuming he has only 2 hands, I think we need more information.

Tasing a guy threatening with a knife is not out of line. Perhaps there were other ways, but no cop has a duty to get cut just to homor some old guy's neurosis. The police came after the ambulance. I am assuming the ambulance was there for the 95 year old. I am assuming they called the police when they decided they couldn't handle the situation.

I think there is a distinct lack of information here. The emotional response is "he was 95 and harmless". I question the need for both a beanbag and a taser. Did the beanbag or taser not work?.

When did the shoe horn become a butcher knife?

Cops are called when people want FORCE. Like it or not, that's what cops do. I suspect their procedure says "suspect refuses to drop knife, tase him". I'll bet it doesn't say "except if he's 95 and possibly suffering from dementia." This is where judgement comes in. But if a cop attempted to take the knife from him and was injured, he'd be reprimanded for violating procedure.

It doesn't look good, but don't think this is as cut and dried as some suggest.

Heck, we had cops shoot to death some teenager threatening to cut himself with a butter knife. At least they attempted less lethal methods.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013, 21:21   #25
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post

When did the shoe horn become a butcher knife?
...about two seconds after the ECG flatlined....
Old July 29, 2013, 22:24   #26
VonFireball
Registered

FALaholic #: 62900
I'd take a good cane over a big knife for a fight almost anytime. Not sure how turning it into butcher knife makes it better. The cane is probably the more useful weapon overall.
VonFireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2013, 07:07   #27
RG Coburn
Registered

Most likely it was a shoehorn,as in the case with most long-term care homes I have been in,most,if not all,of what they feed them does not need to be "butchered",hence no need on site of a "butcher knife". Perhaps a paring knife? I doubt even that. They feed them a lot of canned and processed foods. Not like they are getting T-bone steaks or 20 lb roasted turkey dinners. Most of these folks don't have teeth,or have dentures or partials,and chewing,let alone digesting,is very hard for them.
Old July 30, 2013, 08:35   #28
SWOHFAL
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Most likely it was a shoehorn,as in the case with most long-term care homes I have been in,most,if not all,of what they feed them does not need to be "butchered",hence no need on site of a "butcher knife". Perhaps a paring knife? I doubt even that. They feed them a lot of canned and processed foods. Not like they are getting T-bone steaks or 20 lb roasted turkey dinners. Most of these folks don't have teeth,or have dentures or partials,and chewing,let alone digesting,is very hard for them.
Police disinformation, most likely.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old July 30, 2013, 18:35   #29
Bruce Allen
Registered

Read the article.

It states the man put down the shoehorn and picked up a "butcher style 12" knife".

The did also say the taser had no effect, which is a very big red flag as to his mental/emotional state, but hell, even if he was stark raving mad I cannot imagine his physical condition would enable him to be a serious threat. Personally I would use a baton, or broom stick, to knock the knife out of his hand then jump him.

Remember it takes 5 years to produce a generally competent police officer, and longer for a supervisor. I am betting this is a factor in the whole incident.
Old July 30, 2013, 20:47   #30
RG Coburn
Registered

Yeah...there's always 12 inch butcher knives just laying around old folks homes...
Old July 31, 2013, 18:36   #31
bubbagump
Registered

If the taser had no effect then the either didn't hit him or the batteries were dead. Either way, epic fail to the shitbag cops.

Sorry, no 95 year old man stands up to a taser. Most of 'em can't stand up under their own power. Them that do are real shakey.

Cops. Liars. Scumbags. To a man, if you can call 'em that.

b.
Old July 31, 2013, 19:15   #32
Rick
Registered

FALaholic #: 74
How would he get his hands on a butcher knife and if he did, I see a big lawsuit against the nursing home! Think about it, you're 95 years old, in a nursing home and have a butcher knife. Am I the only one who thinks this is odd?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013, 21:44   #33
shlomo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Think about it, you're 95 years old, in a nursing home and have a butcher knife. Am I the only one who thinks this is odd?
No.
Old July 31, 2013, 22:51   #34
Brett
Registered

FALaholic #: 3389
I bet the old man had Rabies.
Old July 31, 2013, 22:52   #35
308/223shooter
Airborne Combat Engineer
Bronze Contributor

Throw down?
Old August 01, 2013, 21:19   #36
Bruce Allen
Registered

Bubbagump: Tasers are not 100% effective on people that are well intoxicated/high or stark raving mad lunatics, which is why I stated the failure of the taser to effect him was a red flag.

Throwdown?
Really?
Where do you hide 12" 308/223?
Old August 01, 2013, 22:24   #37
Pistolwiz
Registered

FALaholic #: 4378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post

In a squad car?

Just saying........

"People will chew and swallow an entire sweet and delicious brick of lies. And enjoy it. Rather than taste one bitter grain of truth. No wonder they are hoodwinked so easily."

"I don't run with lemmings...even well armed ones."

"If we had as many misconceptions about the FN FAL as we do about the constitution. The body count from accidents would be much, much higher around here."
Pistolwiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 01, 2013, 23:30   #38
308/223shooter
Airborne Combat Engineer
Bronze Contributor

In me trousers.
Old August 02, 2013, 08:40   #39
bubbagump
Registered

Quote:
Bubbagump: Tasers are not 100% effective on people that are well intoxicated/high or stark raving mad lunatics, which is why I stated the failure of the taser to effect him was a red flag.

Throwdown?
Really?
So he was intoxicated or high? Stark raving mad lunatic?

My wife's stepdad is 97, he can't even get out of bed on his own. This guy was in a nursing home almost certainly because he was in a similar condition.

Sorry, ain't buying the 'we had to taser him' argument. They could have waited until he fell asleep or just let his oxygen run out. Wouldn't have taken long.
Old August 02, 2013, 18:59   #40
Bruce Allen
Registered

Uhhh... if you could read you would see I don't buy it either.

I was just clarifying about the effectiveness of the taser. I have witnessed some strange things with mental cases, and been scared once or twice dealing with them.

Now - as to the circumstances you guess is as good as mine if the story we are given is accurate or a complete lie.
Old August 02, 2013, 19:01   #41
Bruce Allen
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
In me trousers.
RRRight!!!
Old August 04, 2013, 19:35   #42
Bruce Allen
Registered

Follow this link for some more info on this:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...t-police-taser

But according to Maria Oliva, an executive with Pathway Senior Living, the staff was kept out of the room after police arrived. So there was no imminent threat to staff.

"The staff was not inside once the police were on the scene," Oliva told us. "At different times the staff were in there, but not when they were called. They (the police) were in charge at that point."

Police said there had been threats made against the staff. But Grapsas (family lawyer) said he was told that staff begged to be allowed to try to calm down the old man.

"If there were threats to the staff, why did the staff want to intervene and say, 'Let us handle this; we'll get him calmed down'?" he asked.

At some point, I'm told there were between five and seven police officers, they went back to the room with a riot shield in hand, entered the door and shot him with a shotgun that contained bean-bag rounds," Grapsas said.

If this is true and police had a riot shield, why on earth would they need a shotgun?

At some point, I'm told there were between five and seven police officers, they went back to the room with a riot shield in hand, entered the door and shot him with a shotgun that contained bean-bag rounds," Grapsas said.

If this is true and police had a riot shield, why on earth would they need a shotgun?

John Wrana was a WWII vet and used a walker to get about.
The article also questions the knife the police claim was used.
The Illinois State Police are investigating this.
Old August 06, 2013, 14:54   #43
TheOtherTinMan
Registered

FALaholic #: 28548
http://www.fromthetrenchesworldrepor...121#more-53121

A 95-year-old man who served his country during World War II is now dead after police stormed his retirement home with riot shields, Tasered him and shot him with bean bag rounds – all because he adamantly refused to undergo high-risk surgery.

U.S. Army Air Corps veteran John Wrana, who was honorably discharged as a sergeant after he served in the India-Burma campaign, used a walker because family members said he was “wobbly” on his feet, according to the Chicago Tribune. The elderly veteran was shot down by enemy fire during the war.

On July 26, a doctor reportedly told Wrana if he survived surgery, he would likely be put on life support. The elderly man refused the operation, and paramedics attempted to involuntarily transport him for medical treatment. He was sitting in a chair, holding a cane and a shoe horn when police arrived at the Victory Centre senior living facility located just south of Chicago.

The Cook County medical examiner reported that Wrana bled to death internally from injuries caused when the elderly man was shot in the stomach with a 12-gauge shotgun that fired a bag filled with lead shot. The death has been ruled a homicide, according to reports.

“The Japanese military couldn’t get him at the age he was touchable, in a uniform in the war,” Wrana family attorney Nicholas Grapsas told the Tribune. “It took 70 years later for the Park Forest police to do the job.”

Grapsas said he was told “there were between five and seven police officers” at the scene.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Illinois State Police Public Integrity Unit is investigating the incident. According to the Park Forest police account, Grapsas had threatened officers with a two-foot-long metal shoe horn and cane.

“Attempts were made verbally to have the resident comply with demands to drop the articles, to no avail,” the police statement said. “The resident then armed himself with a 12-inch butcher type kitchen knife.”

But Grapsas told the Tribune the staff and Wrana’s family said they never saw a butcher knife in his room.

“So where did the knife come from?” the attorney asked.

Maria Oliva, an executive with Pathway Senior Living, said staff members were kept outside of the room when police were present.

“The staff was not inside once the police were on the scene,” she said. “At different times the staff were in there, but not when they were called. They (the police) were in charge at that point.”

While police said Wrana had made threats against the staff, Grapsas said staff members urged police to let them calm the elderly man.

“If there were threats to the staff, why did the staff want to intervene and say, ‘Let us handle this; we’ll get him calmed down’?” he asked.

Now Wrana’s family is desperate for an explanation.

“I want answers,” his 74-year-old step-daughter said. “I want someone held accountable.”
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/why-did-c...VF0ILfazBty.99
Old August 06, 2013, 15:34   #44
SWOHFAL
Registered

Police control the scene after they murder the old man and miraculously "find" a 12" butcher knife that no one ever saw before? Will wonders never cease?

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old August 06, 2013, 16:01   #45
shlomo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
Police control the scene after they murder the old man and miraculously "find" a 12" butcher knife that no one ever saw before? Will wonders never cease?
Not even Dumbass Bill is credulous enough to buy that bullshit story.

Unless the old coot was a Republican.
Old August 06, 2013, 18:30   #46
bubbagump
Registered

Quote:
Uhhh... if you could read you would see I don't buy it either.

I was just clarifying about the effectiveness of the taser. I have witnessed some strange things with mental cases, and been scared once or twice dealing with them.

Now - as to the circumstances you guess is as good as mine if the story we are given is accurate or a complete lie.
Well, for what it's worth I'll go with Door #2 Alex, a complete lie for the win. Fabricated from beginning to ened by tax-slurping cops, loser pieces of shit who aren't above killing a guy in a nursing home if they can spin it.

Prove me wrong. Believe it or not, I'd like to have that happen.

b.
Old August 06, 2013, 20:12   #47
Bruce Allen
Registered

Obviously I have no way to prove any part of that story right or wrong.

I would like to be able to prove you wrong and convince myself the officers did not kill that man for no good reason.

When I was allowed to work on IA (internal Affairs) cases for a very short while my philosophy was to work to prove an officer innocent of allegations until I could not longer do so, at that point then it would become simply to prove their guilt.

You have read my posts about this and as more info has come out I was the first to post about it.
Clearly it looks worse and worse and as these things go there will be more info come out in time.

The thing that gets me is when a new story first comes out with virtually no info some here get hysterical and there is a flurry of condeming posts with some general inference that all cops are bad and I know for a fact that is not true.
One even posts "police are authorized to lie"... right, kinda like the poster writes lies as he sees fit.

Is it getting worse - police excessive use of force and the militarization?
Yes, and I have posted for years of my fear of the militarization that is occurring. I think the two are inter related.

Last edited by Bruce Allen; August 06, 2013 at 20:22.
Bruce Allen is offline   Reply With Quote