The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2013, 09:40   #1
echo5sierra
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 65075
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 389
Stg58 Receiver

Gents,

What is the correct type of receiver for an stg58?
__________________
It is so sad that whole families can be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs. --Jack Handey

Last edited by echo5sierra; June 27, 2013 at 09:41. Reason: misspelling
echo5sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013, 10:14   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor
 
MAINER's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 18465
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,560
A Type I, a Type II, or a Type III metric.

What's correct for your rifle depends on the cut of your Lower Receiver in the Recoil Shield area.. Most will be cut for the Type I.
I put a Type II Receiver on my Type I StG because it was available and I like it better.

Lots better explaining here than I can do.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312888
__________________
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.
MAINER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013, 10:22   #3
echo5sierra
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 65075
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 389
Mainer,

Thanks. The amount of information on that link makes my head spin. If I can get my hands on a pristine kit, I will start looking at matching receiver type to serial number range.
__________________
It is so sad that whole families can be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs. --Jack Handey
echo5sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013, 13:14   #4
tngunman
Senior Member
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 64639
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo5sierra View Post
Mainer,

Thanks. The amount of information on that link makes my head spin. If I can get my hands on a pristine kit, I will start looking at matching receiver type to serial number range.
does your kit still have the receiver stub? you may be able to tell what type it had on it just by looking at that.
tngunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013, 13:41   #5
echo5sierra
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 65075
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngunman View Post
does your kit still have the receiver stub? you may be able to tell what type it had on it just by looking at that.
I don't have a kit to work on yet. You bought it!! Just messing with you. The first FAL I built was an Stg58, I just happened to by an stg58 kit without knowing anything about it. I sold it to a friend of mine, and I am trying to trade a generic IMBEL FAL for it. If I can get it back, I am going to switch out the current receiver, a Hesse, for a Coonan, and I wanted to know the correct receiver to use, then get a receiver with the same serial as the kit. I think it was a matching kit. I bought it from Interordnance in 2005.
__________________
It is so sad that whole families can be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs. --Jack Handey
echo5sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013, 16:07   #6
TRT01
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 66630
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 406
STG receiver

Coonan has a custom receiver with STG markings. I believe it's a type I. Don't forget to ask for the falfiles discount when you call them and the current wait is 6 months I think.
TRT01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013, 16:09   #7
echo5sierra
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 65075
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 389
TRT01,

Thanks. This is a no hurry project.
__________________
It is so sad that whole families can be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs. --Jack Handey
echo5sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013, 19:12   #8
tngunman
Senior Member
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 64639
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT01 View Post
Coonan has a custom receiver with STG markings. I believe it's a type I. Don't forget to ask for the falfiles discount when you call them and the current wait is 6 months I think.
Yeah I ordered one about 6 months ago and this week is the "due" date lol
tngunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013, 20:50   #9
Jeff in Pa
Registered
Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 70432
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
A Type I, a Type II, or a Type III metric.

What's correct for your rifle depends on the cut of your Lower Receiver in the Recoil Shield area.. Most will be cut for the Type I.
I put a Type II Receiver on my Type I StG because it was available and I like it better.

Lots better explaining here than I can do.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312888
In that thread, it shows metric lowers. Are the inch lowers the same configuration?
Jeff in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013, 21:13   #10
gijoeflint
Member
Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 19392
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Temple, Texas
Posts: 364
Wich type of lower have plastic stock and wich wood?
Or they go by serial #s?
thanks.
gijoeflint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2013, 09:31   #11
tngunman
Senior Member
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 64639
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo5sierra View Post
I don't have a kit to work on yet. You bought it!! Just messing with you. The first FAL I built was an Stg58, I just happened to by an stg58 kit without knowing anything about it. I sold it to a friend of mine, and I am trying to trade a generic IMBEL FAL for it. If I can get it back, I am going to switch out the current receiver, a Hesse, for a Coonan, and I wanted to know the correct receiver to use, then get a receiver with the same serial as the kit. I think it was a matching kit. I bought it from Interordnance in 2005.
I am a sucker for stgs :-)
tngunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2013, 16:40   #12
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
nwobhm's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 9580
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 7,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoeflint View Post
Wich type of lower have plastic stock and wich wood?
Or they go by serial #s?
thanks.
Everything is correct. The pictures of drill/parade rifles cover the entire spectrum with wood. All/most guns were either built/retrofitted with plastic.

If you want to be correct by production date it's more of a guessing game. Early guns had wood. Late guns had plastic. North of +/-40k is the change in lower profile which suggests a transition to plastic.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2013, 16:51   #13
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 34604
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tejas/Houston
Posts: 3,401
One of mine was manufactured in 60. It had a Type I by the stub.
__________________
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Patty Hearst
heard the burst
of Roland's Thompson Gun
And bought it. WZ
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2012 The FAL Files