The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old June 15, 2013, 20:23   #1
sprig72
Registered

FALaholic #: 71048
FAL Receivers

Hello all. I am new to the forum and want to build a FAL. Seeing that i live in CA and that most guns will be outlawed by 1/1/14 i want to buy receivers to build latter. I am having a hard time seeing the differences in receivers from DSA and Coonan. I understand that a type 1 and 2 are pretty much the same except for lightening cuts and used in different time periods. What i am not getting is the difference between a DSA SA58 FAL Metric Receiver-0291CHC and a SA58 TYPE 1 Receiver-029G1? I see that one is rated for 308 and one is 7.62 but what else is different to justify a $50 difference? Is there a difference between the Coonan G1 and 1C receivers beside more markings? Any help would be great so i can order receivers and hope they will arrive before the end of the year. I have placed a back order for a Coonan type 1C and a type 2.
sprig72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013, 20:34   #2
308/223shooter
Airborne Combat Engineer
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
If you can, get a few of the type III Imbels that ParsI. is selling.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013, 20:41   #3
Vaughn L. Allen
GB & Ebay: Saints-Realm
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
If you can, get a few of the type III Imbels that ParsI. is selling.
+1, the best out there!

(To such heights of evil are men driven by religion)
Vaughn L. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013, 20:43   #4
R1shooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 67769
Now that will start a debate.
R1shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013, 21:30   #5
sprig72
Registered

Do you have a link to the type III? When you say +1 do you mean a type 1?
Old June 15, 2013, 21:47   #6
enginecat
Registered

FALaholic #: 62807
He's adding a +1 to idea of the Imbel being the best.

If you look in the Marketplace you will find the Imbel group buy thread and see what you need to do to participate.
I agree that the Imbel is very nice. I've got one that I built an Imbel kit on and it was as easy a build as you could want.
enginecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013, 22:03   #7
sprig72
Registered

Thanks for the info enginecat. Would you even buy the other receivers i talked about or just stick with the Imbal type III?
Old June 15, 2013, 22:05   #8
sprig72
Registered

Imbel. sorry
Old June 15, 2013, 22:12   #9
R1shooter
Registered

Obviously I am biased but I have visited the imbel factory in itajuba, I would ask the opinion of those who have build the R1 receivers recently.
Old June 15, 2013, 22:17   #10
Bertellione
Registered

FALaholic #: 66658
It would be a good idea to have the barrels for those receivers also. The last national ban the receiver had to be barreled in order to count. I know companies like colt had put all their manufacturing in lowers for the ar15 and found out that they were not preban because they hadn't barreled them. You have to try and think ahead of these low life politicians, especially Arnold the man who made his money off of shoot'em up movies and first thing he did was take the guns away from you all. The same guy that wants non native born citizens to be able to run for presidency we should kick his low life but out of our country.
Bertellione is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013, 22:18   #11
adbm3
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 61973
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprig72 View Post
Hello all. I am new to the forum and want to build a FAL. Seeing that i live in CA and that most guns will be outlawed by 1/1/14 i want to buy receivers to build latter. I am having a hard time seeing the differences in receivers from DSA and Coonan. I understand that a type 1 and 2 are pretty much the same except for lightening cuts and used in different time periods. What i am not getting is the difference between a DSA SA58 FAL Metric Receiver-0291CHC and a SA58 TYPE 1 Receiver-029G1? I see that one is rated for 308 and one is 7.62 but what else is different to justify a $50 difference? Is there a difference between the Coonan G1 and 1C receivers beside more markings? Any help would be great so i can order receivers and hope they will arrive before the end of the year. I have placed a back order for a Coonan type 1C and a type 2.
To answer more pertinently: A Type 1 would be used for a period correct build. I haven't divined what it is you are trying to build as you don't say. However, the DSA receivers you mention are virtually identical. The Type1 G1, being more expensive, I am surmising has G1 markings that are appropriate to a G1 or BGS build. However, you can't tell that from the photo on the site. It would be prudent to call DSA to get the details. Same explanation for the Coonan, which you can see the markings differences from their photos. Coonan is on a 6-8 month wait if you order now. For California I'd pay in advance. Although, you can wait for a while. I've built on several of the Coonans and although they are really good it is a receiver that is not short on its fitment quirks.

As others have said you can certainly use the Type 3 that is being offered in the market place. But its profile may not be correct for what it is you are building unless you really just don't care about the looks.

I've found that the argument over what is the "best" receiver in this forum is the same you'll find about the "best" motor oil in car forums. Everyone has an opinion and a perceptible favorite. I have not built on a DSA due to logistical problems on my part. But, I have build on Coonan and Enterprise, which have both functioned very well if not without a few fitment quirks.

BTW...don't just give up in California yet. No one knows what is going to happen for sure and there is going to likely be a lot of lawsuits directed right at Moonbeam if he does sign. Please also donate to Calguns, Second Amendment Foundation and the NRA. Fight the battle on the front lines.
adbm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013, 22:22   #12
Exit308
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Sprig, the Imbel receivers are made in an FN licensed facility and no longer imported. When the current inventory is depleted there will probably be no more imported. Yes they are a bit more expensive than the current U.S. made receivers but like I said a very limited commodity. Get as many now as you can afford. Some may not like the type 3 lines but few would dispute the quality of the Imbel receivers. The current group buy sponsored by Black Elk is a great way to go.
R1 shooter who also works at DSA just announced that DSA will be making a run of the type 2 receivers and they should be a good receiver at a good price. Again, buy as many as you can afford. These count as a U.S. made part while the Imbel do NOT.
Good luck and happy building.

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013, 22:36   #13
sprig72
Registered

I would like to do a original looking build and a more modern looking build. I would like wood stocks on one and plastic on the other. I am shying away from the type III due to the look. I have emailed DSA and they said that the type 1 will be available in 3 to 4 months. I am hoping for the best in CA but I am not holding my breath! I do also contribute to those groups too.
Old June 15, 2013, 22:38   #14
R1shooter
Registered

The imbel receivers are certainly off the FN prints but they are not and never were licensed by FN.
Old June 15, 2013, 22:39   #15
sprig72
Registered

So many receivers to buy with so little time! UGH! When i emailed DSA I was told that type 2 will be available next year! It would be great to get one sooner.
Old June 15, 2013, 22:42   #16
R1shooter
Registered

It will be sooner , as stated you can thank the poachers in Africa for that.
Old June 15, 2013, 22:49   #17
sprig72
Registered

@R1. What is the best way to keep up to date on when these receivers will be ready to sell?
Old June 15, 2013, 22:56   #18
sprig72
Registered

@R1. So is there a differences in the 2 type 1 receivers besides the 7.62 and 308? Are they different FAL barrels you would have to use?
Old June 15, 2013, 23:03   #19
R1shooter
Registered

No difference in markings of caliber , some countries do not allow 7,62, some only 308, barrels all the same.
Old June 15, 2013, 23:04   #20
sprig72
Registered

Thank you for the info R1.
Old June 16, 2013, 00:49   #21
4x401
Guy-Epics conscience...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1shooter View Post
The imbel receivers are certainly off the FN prints but they are not and never were licensed by FN.

Well...... My first thought to this statement was that once again, another DSA REP is blowing smoke to cover for their own inadequacies.

But I will defer that judgement when you provide substantiating proof to your statement above..Please.
Old June 16, 2013, 01:01   #22
R1shooter
Registered

A moot point but imbel was never licensed by FN , started off that way but the brazilians backed out in the end, I have been there, have the story first hand, what insight do you have?
Old June 16, 2013, 01:10   #23
4x401
Guy-Epics conscience...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1shooter View Post
A moot point but imbel was never licensed by FN , started off that way but the brazilians backed out in the end, I have been there, have the story first hand, what insight do you have?
I don't have any Insight. I'm simply calling bullshit on your statement and asking for some some proof beyond "I have been there, have the story first hand"..
Is it too much to ask for a link substantiating your assertion?
Old June 16, 2013, 07:51   #24
crawlinjeep
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 10480
I have built on both Imbel and DSA. I am good with either. At this point in time they are the only two I will buy. They are both forged and not cast.

This is not an issue of "Is cast good enough" but rather for a small amount more I don't have to answer that. I would get whichever forged is available the soonest.

I believe Coonan is the only one that will mark the receiver as you need it.

R1Shooter, What market is Imbel factory targeting with the FALs? Military in the southern hemisphere? Roughly which gov agencies in the world are still using the FAL?

"If there be trouble, let it be in my day that my children may know peace"
Patrick Henry
crawlinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013, 08:30   #25
R1shooter
Registered

Having heard it first hand from them that they were never licensed by FN as they never finalized the agreement is what I base my statement on, I am not arguing about quality, it is indeed off the FN prints. If they were licensed by FN it would be easy for you to give an official link than me to find one. Just because it has been repeated enough does not make it true. The issue of money stopped FN finally giving imbel their blessing and imbel never got many of the FN technical updates as years went by.Imbel has not been producing the fal for a few years, they are focused on producing their 556 rifle but they still intend to continue production by years end.
Old June 16, 2013, 08:33   #26
R1shooter
Registered

As for your statement about blowing smoke and the other comment I think I have been here long enough now that someone on here will correct you.
Old June 16, 2013, 09:28   #27
crawlinjeep
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 10480
R1Shooters statement rings true and is backed up by his being there - has anyone else on this board been there? There is nothing that I have seen backing Imbel being licensed - I am not knowledgeable of any details and have never researched this. Not likely to get a signed statement from Imbel as they most likely couldn't care less.

As licensing is not directly related to quality I also don't care. My DSAs built just as well as the Imbel. But my DSAs were Type 2 and the Imbel was Type 3.

Is Imbel doing something special with the 556 or just a knockoff of the M16/M4?

"If there be trouble, let it be in my day that my children may know peace"
Patrick Henry
crawlinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013, 09:35   #28
R1shooter
Registered

Correct, licensing has nothing to do with quality, imbel is making the md97 a rotating bolt 556 that is their own design, shot them when we were visiting the factory and they are in full production.
Old June 16, 2013, 09:51   #29
Exit308
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
If it was my assertion that Imbel is FN licensed that started this debate please be advised that I have NO direct knowledge of the licensing. My statement was based on info I have gleaned on these files and could be incorrect.

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013, 10:58   #30
one hand clapping
Registered

FALaholic #: 35299
I have built on all three brands, and think them all acceptable.
The eariler DSA'a made by lewis tool are my favs in their catagory, as I have several type twos, two type ones, and a couple of inch cut.

My Coonans work just fine and I like supporting Dan. I'm awaiting a brit inch cut , due in a few weeks.

I had a great time this spring down at stimpy's match and used a freshly built Imbel on Imbel.
I had good groups when I test fired it and only put 'bout fifty rnds [ due to bad weather ] down range ,prior to the shoot.
It got 2nd place in the target section with irons.

I would personaly opt for at least ONE of the Imbels in the group buy, as mentioned, when they're all bought up- NO MORE imports, so you will pay thru the nose IF you could find a NOS one.
Other than that --BIRD IN HAND brother. Get one NOW, as tommorow may not come.

Good luck on your builds and welcome.
Old June 16, 2013, 11:16   #31
6ppc
Registered

FALaholic #: 13858
Wakipedia states, " The Brazilian army performed troop field testing between 1958-1962. In 1964 Brazil officially adapted the rifle designated M964 for the year. LICENSED production started shortly afterwards at IMBEL in the Itajuba plant".
6ppc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013, 12:23   #32
R1shooter
Registered

Wikipedia is wrong. Imbel Was going to be licensed but it never happened.
Old June 16, 2013, 16:10   #33
sprig72
Registered

Thanks for the info guys. @6ppc You should never use Wikipedia as a source! I think i will buy 1 of the Imbels and get a couple more type I and II's when they become available.
Old June 16, 2013, 16:11   #34
sprig72
Registered

Where is good place to look for FAL parts kits?
Old June 16, 2013, 17:27   #35
Olaf
Registered

FALaholic #: 63894
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprig72 View Post
Where is good place to look for FAL parts kits?
Keep an eye on the market place here,someone got a decent deal on a Imbel kit,and extra RA marked lower a day or so ago ( at todays prices a good deal not all of us were around for the $99 kits)
Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote