The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old May 12, 2013, 15:52   #1
Aeroscout
Unarmed and Unafraid
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 67625
L1A1 Headspace Question

I am using Clymer .308 go (1.630) and no go (1.634) gauges.

I only have 2 pin gauges that are close to my range, .253 and .256

Using the .253 the bolt closes with no resistance.

Using the .256 the bolt closes pretty stiff with two thumb pressure and takes a bit of a tug on the tail to get it back open.

I am figuring .255 would close smoothly.

I want to shoot either .308 of 7.62

So which size locking shoulder do I need?

Last edited by Aeroscout; May 12, 2013 at 17:47.
Aeroscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 16:04   #2
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
I "assume" when you say it is closing it is closing on the GO gauge? You could probably get away with a 0.255. Be sure to check again with gauges after you install the locking shoulder.

Old May 12, 2013, 16:07   #3
Aeroscout
Unarmed and Unafraid
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
I "assume" when you say it is closing it is closing on the GO gauge? You could probably get away with a 0.255. Be sure to check again with gauges after you install the locking shoulder.

Yes...closes on the go gauge stiffly using the .256 pin gage....what about all the setback and math I read about....I have read through the various posts and it has served only to cause me more questions...thus this post.
Old May 12, 2013, 16:14   #4
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I use the LS size which will close with two thumbs pressure on a GO gauge and not close on a NO GO. You can go a little bigger if you are concerned with setback. Everyone is going to have an opinion on whether to worry about setback or not. I personally have built both ways. But I always be sure to check with the gauges after the LS is installed. I have had my fair share of fits headspacing as a search of my name on the subject will attest to... That being said, I have never had a failure on over 2 dozen builds. ....... I primarily shoot surplus 7.62 but I do use .308 commercial hunting ammo with a couple of my hunting builds.

Old May 13, 2013, 09:59   #5
Aeroscout
Unarmed and Unafraid
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
I use the LS size which will close with two thumbs pressure on a GO gauge and not close on a NO GO. You can go a little bigger if you are concerned with setback. Everyone is going to have an opinion on whether to worry about setback or not. I personally have built both ways. But I always be sure to check with the gauges after the LS is installed. I have had my fair share of fits headspacing as a search of my name on the subject will attest to... That being said, I have never had a failure on over 2 dozen builds. ....... I primarily shoot surplus 7.62 but I do use .308 commercial hunting ammo with a couple of my hunting builds.

When checking HS after installing the LS do you typically find things looser or tighter than expected? (If at all different).
Old May 13, 2013, 12:11   #6
SteelonSteel
Veteran Member
Contributor

FALaholic #: 18603
I had a century with a ground on LS walk out and I replaced the LS with an unmolested one.

I have pin gages and clymer headspace gages as well. I measured with the pins and my LS on hand was the right one according to the method. I installed the LS and rechecked headspace and mine was tight with the Clymer go, nearly as tight as yours is. Not sure why but it is, I only fired a couple boxes through it since and don't see any set back yet.

I'm not worried, the Clymer gages were a hair longer than the Forster gages I had. If I did everything with the Forster gages she'd indicate no issues.
SteelonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 16:49   #7
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroscout View Post
When checking HS after installing the LS do you typically find things looser or tighter than expected? (If at all different).
Not usually but doing this (checking with LS installed) has saved my arse due to a math error. I had to back out the LS and start over. Also, sometimes you may have some grit or something in the chamber and your measurements get off. This just serves for me as another safety check.......