The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old February 17, 2013, 12:41   #1
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Organic farming beats GM crop yield

A bit out of the normal box, but this should be of interest to anyone into farming/gardening.

Quote:
Sumant Kumar was overjoyed when he harvested his rice last year. There had been good rains in his village of Darveshpura in north-east India and he knew he could improve on the four or five tonnes per hectare that he usually managed. But every stalk he cut on his paddy field near the bank of the Sakri river seemed to weigh heavier than usual, every grain of rice was bigger and when his crop was weighed on the old village scales, even Kumar was shocked.

This was not six or even 10 or 20 tonnes. Kumar, a shy young farmer in Nalanda district of India's poorest state Bihar, had – using only farmyard manure and without any herbicides – grown an astonishing 22.4 tonnes of rice on one hectare of land. This was a world record and with rice the staple food of more than half the world's population of seven billion, big news.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-dev...ion?CMP=twt_fd
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2013, 13:29   #2
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
Not only that, the nutritional value of the crop is MUCH better. GM food is health destroying, imho.
357ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2013, 19:46   #3
hawk962
Registered

FALaholic #: 9621
I would agree. We have been growing our garden organically for quite a few years now. All heirloom seed. I can't see ever going back to the chemical method.
hawk962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2013, 20:00   #4
unionguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 36394
Great post. Progress isn't always progress!
unionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2013, 18:29   #5
longhair51
Constitutional curmudgeon
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5884
Great post. I'm planting a 100' x 90' plot w/heirloom seed. There is no lack of cow manure around here plus a lot of it from the chickens. I do wonder if cross polination with all of the GMO crops around here will eventually water down, or corrupt my saved seeds over the years.

”if the federal government treats the American public with this degree of contempt when we’re armed to the teeth, imagine how they would treat us if they had all our guns."
longhair51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2013, 19:25   #6
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair51 View Post
I do wonder if cross polination with all of the GMO crops around here will eventually water down, or corrupt my saved seeds over the years.

It will certainly ruin a crop going the other way. What kind of dockage do you suppose a guy would get if he rolled int the elevator with a truckload of what was supposed to be yellow corn that had been cross pollinated by red and blue.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2013, 14:18   #7
tywest
Registered

FALaholic #: 66761
the way i hear.....if your hierloom becomes cross polinated with GM and you sell it YOU CAN BE SUED for copyright infringement by the GM seed "manufacturer".

thats what the farmers buying heirloom in the midwest face......guy next door starts using GM and gets into his field...well now he can either go to court or get on board with the GM company.
tywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2013, 18:44   #8
hawk962
Registered

Yeah, isn't that just great.
Old February 21, 2013, 19:00   #9
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tywest View Post
the way i hear.....if your hierloom becomes cross polinated with GM and you sell it YOU CAN BE SUED for copyright infringement by the GM seed "manufacturer".

thats what the farmers buying heirloom in the midwest face......guy next door starts using GM and gets into his field...well now he can either go to court or get on board with the GM company.
This is happening all over the midwest. Monsanto is evil, pure and simple.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013, 13:57   #10
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
This is happening all over the midwest. Monsanto is evil, pure and simple.
Straight out of central casting, they are.

Meanwhile, SRI is a process of farming that involves using lots of organic fertilizers and it could replace the need to use GMOs. Chicken manure would do the trick!

http://grist.org/food/miracle-grow-i...-without-gmos/
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013, 17:14   #11
hawk962
Registered

Evil doesn't even begin to describe those people.
Old March 09, 2013, 15:33   #12
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
Monsanto runs FDA. Their lawyer wrote the "significant equivalency" rule that basically said that since GMO grown vegetables are "significantly equal" to non GMO veggies then it didn't make sense to label GMO veggies so therefore no labelling of GMO veggies.

It's great to be the boss. Heads Monsanto wins, tails Monsanto wins. I wonder if they feed that shit they grow to their kids?
Old March 09, 2013, 15:35   #13
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
A bit out of the normal box, but this should be of interest to anyone into farming/gardening.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-dev...ion?CMP=twt_fd

It is looking more and more that GMO food crops are becoming less productive.

It appears that Mother Nature is winning.
Old March 09, 2013, 16:26   #14
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
He probably was using GM seed he "illegally" acquired.

Monsanto will soon be along to sue him for every penny he owns.
They'll take his rickshaw, and all three walls of his house by the time their lawyers get done fuckinghim.

Riddle me this:
When does Monsanto have to pay for contaminating all the seed stock on the entire planet?

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2013, 17:16   #15
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

Riddle me this:
When does Monsanto have to pay for contaminating all the seed stock on the entire planet?
I don't think Monsanto's stooge on the supreme court will let them. Clarence Thomas was an attorney for Monsanto at one time.

Major Monsanto court case that Thomas presided over. He's the one that decided that Monsanto was infringed upon and not the other farmers whose crops Monsanto infected.

We are so f**ked.
Old March 10, 2013, 22:48   #16
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
Guys, I have read, and re-read these comments, trying to figure out if anyone here knows what the **** they are talking about. Ya'll go right ahead and grow all your own damn food in your backyard garden. The libs are telling everyone we are all going to have to learn to get by with less in the future. Let me assure you all right here and now, you will all h ave much much less to eat growing everything in this miraculous garden each of you are dreaming about. Those of you that have large gardens certainly know they don't grow, weed, or pick themselves. And they generally only produce in the "growing" season, which means if you don't can, dry, or freeze, you will have to learn to hibernate the other 5 or 6 months.

I couldn't give two shits about Monsanto and their tactics. What I can say about them and all of the other chemical companies combined is the opportunity they have brought to Ag in general to produce 2 and 3 fold increases over what we once did. Seed genetics have made leaps in recent years, as has the genetically modified side of it, which has allowed the decreased competition from weeds. Yes, weeds is what many farmers have lost entire crops from in the past. The new technology has allowed nearly the same acres(if not less due to more CRP acres each year) to grow more grain each year, with proper moisture. But, that's another issue. Even with the drought, had we not had the weed control we have from these "evil anti-christ" companies, we wouldn't have had the yield we did last year.

And that story above does not say how many years that young farmer applied the cow manure to his hectare of land. In these states, it is applied in the "tons" of manure per acre. Anyone care to take a guess how many cows it takes to produce a ton of dried manure (the form in which it is spread) And manure is more a soil amendment, compost more or less, than a fertilizer, unless the cow urine coincidentally was mixed with it. That's where the nitrogen is, not in the manure. That young Indian super farmer may have got his 15 minutes of fame, let's see what he does on the same ground next season. Then I'll buy this line of shit. And unless he has a feedlot next to him, oh wait, Hindus don't eat cows, his pet cow better have diahhria all year long to give him a good crop next year.

Ya'll enjoy starvation, and don't come to my place looking for grain to mill for food. I'm armed.
okiefarmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2013, 23:48   #17
acolonelofcorn
Registered

FALaholic #: 43819
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiefarmer View Post
Guys, I have read, and re-read these comments, trying to figure out if anyone here knows what the **** they are talking about.
I would say no.
acolonelofcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2013, 16:48   #18
longhair51
Constitutional curmudgeon
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5884
All I wanted to know about was cross pollination of GMO and heirloom crops. I'm not going to feed the world. I'm just trying to suppliment the family food source. With carefull observation and experimentation, I have found that when I put a seed in the ground a plant will grow(sometimes?, maybe?, hopefully?).

”if the federal government treats the American public with this degree of contempt when we’re armed to the teeth, imagine how they would treat us if they had all our guns."
longhair51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2013, 22:10   #19
tywest
Registered

FALaholic #: 66761
And what if someone comes knocking on your door with a supoena (sp?) because the seed you wound up with was unknowingly someones trademarked seed.

Its nice they can grow more but when its takes over someone elses food plot and they are forced to grow it or be seen in court.......explain that to me? Wheres the sense in that? Ohh our seed mixed with yours....sucks for you, work for us or loose everything trying to fight us.

And some people just dont want to eat science experiments
tywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2013, 15:48   #20
thunderchicken
Registered

FALaholic #: 7650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Tussell View Post
I don't think Monsanto's stooge on the supreme court will let them. Clarence Thomas was an attorney for Monsanto at one time.

Major Monsanto court case that Thomas presided over. He's the one that decided that Monsanto was infringed upon and not the other farmers whose crops Monsanto infected.

We are so f**ked.
This is not accurate, although Thomas is an idiot, the case you are thinking of is Pioneer/JEG and involved whether a Pioneer, not Monsanto could obtain a utility patent for seed and enforce the license which only allowed it to be grown for crops or forage. It had nothing to do with Monsanto.
thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013, 14:59   #21
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tywest View Post
And what if someone comes knocking on your door with a supoena (sp?) because the seed you wound up with was unknowingly someones trademarked seed.

Its nice they can grow more but when its takes over someone elses food plot and they are forced to grow it or be seen in court.......explain that to me? Wheres the sense in that? Ohh our seed mixed with yours....sucks for you, work for us or loose everything trying to fight us.

And some people just dont want to eat science experiments
That ain't gonna happen. Those that have had cross pollination from GMO, and simply sell their grains are fine. If you know there is cross pollination and you utilize the trait it offered, ie., use of glyphosate over the top, etc, then you are and will be found guilty of theft. One can't stop cross pollination across the fence/road from a neighbor who uses GMOs and you don't, it's only if you save said seed. I don't give two shits for Monsanto either, but scare tactics are all this is.

If you don't want to use the technology, then don't, buy non GMO seed. It's a free country. The seed companies offer less and less each year that is non GMO, because of demand for it, but there are standard varieties out there if you want them.
Old March 22, 2013, 15:59   #22
hawk962
Registered

Question,
What do you think about the roundup ready seed as far as longterm effects from eating the produce? I have read a bunch from both sides really can't help but be suspicious of their claim that it is perfectly safe. No long term independent studies. Just internal lab results and a "trust us". I'm sure most of the procuce along with canned goods purchased from the grocery stores including some labelled as organic is gmo, roundup ready or something we haven't even heard of yet.
I really do see the benefit from a large producer standpoint. Reduced labor costs, increased yield. etc. I just wonder what happens twenty years down the road from a health standpoint.

They are also doing a good job of buying up many of the existing seed companies. Probably helps with a former exec in a high level position at the FDA clearing a path for them.

Organic open pollenated seed is still out there, just not from the usual sources.

Appreciate your input
Old March 23, 2013, 18:11   #23
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

I'll have mine non-GMO please.

http://www.monsantowatch.org/uploads/pdfs/CFSMvF.pdf
Old March 23, 2013, 19:01   #24
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64915
Okie keeps proving how he is a tool for the establishment. Keeps eating the "crap" they feed him (both figurativily and literally)
BlackgunCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2013, 07:56   #25
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackgunCO View Post
Okie keeps proving how he is a tool for the establishment. Keeps eating the "crap" they feed him (both figurativily and literally)

How democrat of you to start name calling towards the only one in this thread who has a clue.

Starve dirty hippie, starve.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2013, 09:17   #26
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64915
He has a clue in how to make $s from industrialized farming. Not how to make safe food. Do some research on GMO. I mean real research and not the propaganda put out by the industry. Then tell me who has a clue. Keep eating that crap and you will die of cancer long before I starve
BlackgunCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2013, 10:16   #27
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackgunCO View Post
He has a clue in how to make $s from industrialized farming. Not how to make safe food. Do some research on GMO. I mean real research and not the propaganda put out by the industry. Then tell me who has a clue. Keep eating that crap and you will die of cancer long before I starve
I do what works for me in my operation, and I'm not a tool for anyone. I avoid like the plague the use of anything Monsanto sells, but many times must use it as little other choices exist.

Apparently you are not aware of the rather lenient regs required of one to be classified organic and get in on that bonanza of price gouging. Free range chickens only have to be exposed to an "open" gate that gives them access to the hinterlands beyond the feed floor. If they choose not to pass through, that is their loss, their meat, and their eggs, still gets classified as "free range" and is priced accordingly. There are numerous other loosey goosey regs for different organic products, all scammable, removing additional $$$ fromt he consumers pocket.

Modern technology has given us some things we might not all agree with, but suffice it to say, there are always people with an agenda against anything involving change, and they can find data/statistics to suit their purpose. One best do his own research, as we can find "documented" proof to substantiate both sides of the coin, and not done by the seed companies themselves. Ag production has jumped exponentially in the past 50 years, part of that due to better farming practices, some due to seed genetics, whether natural or man forced. The mouths continue to multiply exponentially also, and continue to consume every bushel produced annually. I don't buy the increased cancer line for a second, but when people start growing two noses or a third leg, and it's definitely attributed to some evil GMO product, then I'll give it a thought. When people in this country inject/inhale/embibe nearly everything but the kitchen sink into their bodies for a thrill/rush, and we continually try to blame the increased incidence of maladies on GMO, now that's a stretch. The BIG SATAN to the liberal mind is those evil corporations, and their profit margin. Ooooh, profit, that's evil. The very corporations where many (likely even some here) have made their living. Let's all beat up the ones that help to feed, clothe, and house us all. Until then it beats the alternative------starvation. Yes, all those that can grow their own are certainly free to do so, but that sadly doesn't include about 80% or more of the idiots in this country who only know how to use their I-phone to text and surf porn.

Ya know, I find it odd that people are embracing the genetic modification or cloning of humans, because it's all in the name of "finding a cure" for something. GMOs on Ag have already cured starvation by the increased crops they have given this country. They haven't helped feed some other turd world countries, as we can't cure the "evil" dictators who continue to let the foodstuffs sit on the docks to rot or to sell to the highest bidder.

Last edited by okiefarmer; March 24, 2013 at 19:02. Reason: to add stuff, duh