The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old August 17, 2012, 11:00   #1
marks67rover
Registered

FALaholic #: 37106
Steiner 4x24 FAL Scope

I just purchased a Green Steiner 4x24 scope mounted on a FAL top cover in a green plastic case with Supply Number 1240-12-144-0716. When I researched this number it is identified as being for a G3. I have also have seen this particular scope and mount being described as being a Para FAL mount. Any information the members can provide would be much appreciated.
marks67rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2012, 11:08   #2
marks67rover
Registered

FALaholic #: 37106
Steiner 4x24 FAL Scope

I just discovered that the scope will not fit into the plastic case. The case is for the G3 scope. Duh! Still need input on the scope. Mark
marks67rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2012, 17:22   #3
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
If you find anything please post it up. I also have one of the Green Steiner 4x24 scopes. I have not found any info on them. Mine came with the plastic case and the original manual, but no mount for the G3.

I think I got a decent deal on mine and would not part with it as they are few and far between.

I have used mine on both a G3 clone and an FAL, works great on both.
Old August 17, 2012, 18:56   #4
Abominog
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 372
I was waiting for Lee or DakTo, because he'll know more. They are not extremely rare, but are nice pieces. They did come as a set, scope with the mount. AFAIK those sold for FALs are all green. Steiner did make them, along with Hensoldt and Kaps, for the G3, but those were black. I don't know which company sold them. They usually run about $1200 for the scope & mount.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2012, 07:41   #5
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
The last one I saw sold went for $800 and perhaps a matter of a recessionary price.

I have seen the green Steiners mounted on both the HKs and SIGs with their military mounts.
As with many FAL scope mounts attached to any scope, they will not fit into most scope cans and since it is a pita to keep removing the scope from the base I just don't store then in the cans.

Old August 18, 2012, 09:49   #6
Growler Gator
Registered

FALaholic #: 17677
My goodness...
Old August 18, 2012, 20:21   #7
chauncey
Registered

FALaholic #: 34946
those little 4x scopes are outstanding

i have a small collection that i use on my G3 clones...so i can get them a better prices than FAL fans have to pay

i have one of my scopes set up with an ARMS quick release mount that i use on a B&T 1913 rail, on one of my G3 clones. it actually co-witnesses with my Eotech. but you will need a Looong rail to make that happen!
chauncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2012, 21:34   #8
denny
Registered

FALaholic #: 24566
Steiner scopes

The Steiners were sold by Gun South for the Fal rifles - at the time about $900.00 for the scope alone and about $500.00 for a Fal Stanag mount. ( Standard or Para ) the scope & mounts were sold seperately according to the price sheets and flyers.
There was never any mention of cases. The green case you have is for the Hensoldt on a G3 mount.
All the H&K catalogs from that period show Hensoldt and Swarovski scopes. ( they were not the lite reticle type being sold now.)
CDNN sold off some scopes alone during the same period or shortly after ( When CDNN bought a Warehouse full of H&K stuff ??? ) They weren't Steiners or Hensoldt or Swarovski - I am away from my references or I could give you the manufacturer .
All I do know is the scope and mounts for H&K were about 3 times as expensive as the H&K 91 or 93 rifles and at least twice the price as 50/00s.
Denny
denny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2012, 22:52   #9
ronpaulFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 65535
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
The last one I saw sold went for $800 and perhaps a matter of a recessionary price.

I have seen the green Steiners mounted on both the HKs and SIGs with their military mounts.
As with many FAL scope mounts attached to any scope, they will not fit into most scope cans and since it is a pita to keep removing the scope from the base I just don't store then in the cans.

Damn DakTo, you have a serious optics collection (after seeing your other posts about optics too). Very impressive.
ronpaulFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012, 06:07   #10
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Link to a post I had made earlier in the optics section. Shows the Steiner on the G3 mount along with a couple of Z24 scopes with FAL and G3 mounts.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...erman+goodness

Thanks for the info on the Steiner. Found mine for a stupid low price on the Sample List at SWFA.