The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old January 29, 2002, 14:04   #1
Jen
Administrator

FALaholic #: 105
How to get your CC&R FFL License

The process to get your CC&R FFL Licence is quite simple. Here are the steps for you to help you on your way.

• Get the FormsYou can either download and print out (8.5x14" paper) a copy of the required forms or you can request original copies of the application forms from the ATF by contacting the National Licensing Center.

** Forms must now be requested from the ATF and they will be mailed to you. Online forms requests can be done at http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

Forms Required (No longer available online):
         ATF Form 5310.16 - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics)
         ATF Form 5330.20 - Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C 922(g)(5)(B)

National Licensing Center
    2600 Century Parkway NE
    Suite 400
    Atlanta, GA 30345
    (404) 417-2750

• Fill out the Forms
    This should be self explanatory. Just follow the instructions on the form and fill everything that applies out. You need to fill out two copies of the form (See Below).

UPDATED: You now also need to submit the form for Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) which asks for information regarding your country of citizenship. If you don't send this in it is highly likely that your application will be seriously delayed and possibly denied.

• Send in the Forms
    One copy of the forms you filled out is to be delivered to your local CLEO the other sent to the Dallas office of ATF for processing.

You DO NOT have to get a CLEO sign off on the CC&R application. You only need to deliver a copy to them. I recommend using Certified Mail as this provides proof that you sent a copy to your local CLEO.

The Address to send your ATF copy of your application to is:
    The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
    P.O. Box 845219
    Dallas, Texas 75284-5219

You need to remit $30 payable to The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for the license with the copy that you send to ATF.

• Wait..
    Now you get to wait for your License. I believe this usually takes up to 6 weeks, however may take longer due to the new mail security precautions being taken on mail sent to government offices. Assuming you have no criminal history you should get your license in about 6 weeks.

That's it.

You don't know me, son. So let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2002, 14:15   #2
Jen
Administrator

A note on CC&R Record Keeping:

The ATF doesn't provide you with much of anything about how to keep CC&R records except a bunch of, as usual, really confusing regulations.

You must keep a CC&R Log book for the C&R weapons your receive or dispose of. You can find a sample online of what this log book should look like and what information it should contain at: PDF C&R Log Book Sample

You can also get a nice package put out by RK Enterprises which has a FFL Disposition Record (Who you sent copies of your CC&R License to), Multi-Weapon Transaction Record, Personal Firearms Record Book, Collector Record Book and a C&R Wholesalers listing. It has everything you need to stay compliant and then some. You can find the writeup on this HERE.

Here's the contact information for the company selling the CC&R Kit:

RK Enterprises
2616 Las Positas Road
Santa Barbara, California 93105
(805) 687-1416
Fax: (805) 687-4565

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: Jen ]

You don't know me, son. So let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
Old January 29, 2002, 14:57   #3
awp101
Registered

FALaholic #: 1947
Also, the C&R forums here: gunsnet C&R and here: The Cruffler are chock full of good info!

I'm using just about all of em to get mine done right.
Old January 29, 2002, 20:56   #4
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Here is a link that will answer some questions. It's the ATF's own site.
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm
Old January 30, 2002, 08:04   #5
csam
Registered

FALaholic #: 4117
The ATF does not seen to be responsive. I am glad we have the forms to download. I had tried to call them in the past, adn you cannot get a human to answer. To order the forms from them, you were supposed to leave them a message. Never did get any forms or a call. Tax dollars at "work"?
csam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2002, 08:08   #6
timccart
Registered

FALaholic #: 4571
I emailed them and had forms in 3-4 days. 8 weeks, still haven't received C&R.
timccart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2002, 13:05   #7
Blood of Tyrants
Registered

FALaholic #: 1244
Jen, can you make this topic appear at the top regardless of the last post. You know, like the threads for kit refunds and WAC receivers.

One day, in the not too distant future, good men and women like those that serve in Iraq, will decide that the United States isn't worth fighting for and the blame will be squarely on the shoulders of the DemocRat Party.
Blood of Tyrants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2002, 13:12   #8
Blood of Tyrants
Registered

FALaholic #: 1244
Wow! That was fast!

One day, in the not too distant future, good men and women like those that serve in Iraq, will decide that the United States isn't worth fighting for and the blame will be squarely on the shoulders of the DemocRat Party.
Blood of Tyrants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2002, 13:21   #9
Jen
Administrator

Topic Topped.

timccart: Everything mailed in the fed gov has slowed down due to the anthrax scare. They have to irradiate and then chemically treat all that paperwork you sent in to make sure you're not sending them some nasty bug.

Old January 30, 2002, 13:34   #10
'TUDE
Registered

FALaholic #: 704
Not like the good ole days.
Requested forms over phone, received 5 days later. Submitted complete forms on March 15,2001, received C&R March 27,2001.

[/url]
'TUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2002, 20:33   #11
PassatDvr
Registered

FALaholic #: 5234
Mailed my app November 20th. Check cleared first part of december. Guy in Atlanta just got the app last week. He said that all ATF mail goes to Dallas where it is tested and then forwarded to Atlanta. He told me that it would be about a month. I told him I was a LEO and he said that would cut the time down. I've got the Atlanta number at the office. If anyone is interested I'll post it tomorrow.

Anxiously Awaiting...
PassatDvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2002, 16:34   #12
timccart
Registered

Thanks Jen. We humans are an impatient breed.
Old February 07, 2002, 17:10   #13
rob1
Registered

FALaholic #: 529
You folks should be glad that it is taking so long, because once you get it, you won't have any money! I keep on thinking about building another FAL to go with the two I have, but I keep finding neat c&rs to spend my coins on!
Old February 08, 2002, 08:13   #14
timccart
Registered

Woohoo! NLC said mine was mailed Jan 30...waiting patiently(not)!
Old February 08, 2002, 10:53   #15
NC_Rebel
Registered

FALaholic #: 3733
Quote:
Originally posted by rob1:
You folks should be glad that it is taking so long, because once you get it, you won't have any money!
LOL this is true. So many guns, so little money.

Folks, I'm the mod at the Enfield Forum on another board. I'm going to visit over here more often. If I can be of help, just drop me a line.
Old February 11, 2002, 13:35   #16
stand watie
Registered

FALaholic #: 3534
Faltitude,
i LIKE your 3rd National graphic!
for dixie,sw
stand watie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2002, 14:22   #17
garandman
Registered

FALaholic #: 1929
Can somebody gimme a working defintion of what firearms are included as "C & R??"
Old February 20, 2002, 15:24   #18
Jen
Administrator

ATF Firearms Curios or Relics List

Old February 20, 2002, 15:25   #19
TapperMan
Registered

FALaholic #: 1992
Quote:
Can somebody gimme a working defintion of what firearms are included as "C & R??"
Just follow idsubgun's link above to the ATF site. It has an online list.
TapperMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2002, 22:24   #20
BlueDuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 5769
What is a CLEO? How do you find out who this thing/person is? Thanks for any replies.
Brandon
Old March 14, 2002, 23:03   #21
Right Arm
Registered

FALaholic #: 201
Is there a downside to having a C&R FFL? Such as opening yourself up to BATF scrutiny, having all of your guns that aren't C&R inspected, listed etc. What are the regs like for sales of C&R weapons as a dealer?
Old March 14, 2002, 23:08   #22
law4fun

FALaholic #: 1544
Quote:
Originally posted by Beaurt:
What is a CLEO? How do you find out who this thing/person is? Thanks for any replies.
Brandon
Chief Law Enforcement Officer
Either the chief of police or sheriff, depending on whether you live in town or in the county.
Old March 14, 2002, 23:12   #23
law4fun

FALaholic #: 1544
Quote:
Originally posted by Right Arm:
Is there a downside to having a C&R FFL? Such as opening yourself up to BATF scrutiny, having all of your guns that aren't C&R inspected, listed etc. What are the regs like for sales of C&R weapons as a dealer?
Yes...you are subject to ATF scrutiny of your C&R weapons and bound book. They cannot come to your house without making an appointment unless it is with a warrant. If they want to do a bound book inspection, you can have it at their office where they don't come to your licensed premises location. As to regs for sale of C&R weapons as a dealer...don't go there. As a C&R holder, you are not a dealer. You are a collector. You can sell to another FFL or a resident of your own state just like a private citizen.
I am sure that I missed something that someone will pick up...
Old March 15, 2002, 09:04   #24
BlueDuck
Registered

Thanks for the replies to my questions and general posts. I just downloaded my C&R forms and filled them out. Sending them to the CLEO and ATF today! Do you guys thing that being on an Army post will make it more difficult or possibly easier for application approval. Should I call the ATF and ask? Thanks for any replies.
Brandon
Old March 15, 2002, 19:31   #25
Jen
Administrator

Beaurt: It probably wouldn't matter for the application process, but you might want to check the regulations on your base to make sure you can possess the weapons on base.

Many bases are apparently moving to either a registration system (you have to register your weapons with base command) or you have to store your weapons at the base armory or some such.

Old March 15, 2002, 23:06   #26
BlueDuck
Registered

I already have to register all my weapons with the Provost Marshal, I think the equivilant to the CLEO for post. I can keep my weapons in my quarters as long as they are registered. I guess I will check with the MPs to see what the deal is with the C&R permit. OOOPPS, I already sent it off. I have no discipline. I hope it is better to ask forgivness than ask permission.
Old March 31, 2002, 13:48   #27
slv2fun
Registered

FALaholic #: 6021
OK, Sorry if I sound ignant...
why get a type 3 FFL..ie what is the difference between the type 3 ffl vs the type 1 ffl (I already know that the type 3 costs $30 bucks versus the type 1 which costs $200 bucks, and that the type 1 allows modern weapons transfers. But is there more scrutiny with a type 1? Can you NOT sell C & R firearms with a type 3?)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally posted by Jen:
The process to get your CC&R FFL Licence is quite simple. Here are the steps for you to help you on your way.

[*][qb]Get the FormsYou can either download and print out (8x5x14" paper) a copy of the PDF CC&R Application Form or you can request an original of the application from the ATF by contacting the National Licensing Center.

National Licensing Center
    2600 Century Parkway NE
    Suite 400
    Atlanta, GA 30345
    (404) 417-2750
    [*]Fill out the Forms
    This should be self explanatory. Just follow the instructions on the form and fill everything that applies out. You need to fill out two copies of the form (See Below).
    [*]Send in the Forms
    One copy of the forms you filled out is to be delivered to your local CLEO the other sent to the Dallas office of ATF for processing.

You DO NOT have to get a CLEO sign off on the CC&R application. You only need to deliver a copy to them. I recommend using Certified Mail as this provides proof that you sent a copy to your local CLEO.

The Address to send your ATF copy of your application to is:
    The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
    P.O. Box 845219
    Dallas, Texas 75284-5219

You need to remit $30 payable to The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for the license with the copy that you send to ATF.
    [*]Wait..
    Now you get to wait for your License. I believe this usually takes up to 6 weeks, however may take longer due to the new mail security precautions being taken on mail sent to government offices. Assuming you have no criminal history you should get your license in about 6 weeks.[/list]
    That's it.

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: Jen ][/QB]
(not in that order)
slv2fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2002, 23:48   #28
FAL_FREAK
Registered

FALaholic #: 4343
Okay I've got a question on this. If I were to be living in an apartment would that make me ineligible for a C&R? I don't see why, but stranger rules exist so I thought I'd ask before filling out dem forms.

If water is the universal solvent, then coffee with cream and sugar is the universal computer fix-it tool. Whatever you spill it on is soon replaced.
FAL_FREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2002, 11:45   #29
duncan
Registered

FALaholic #: 850
For the curious....

C&R application mailed: 1/10/02.

Check for C&R cashed: 1/22/02.

Big package from ATF: 4/4/02.

C&R license from ATF: 4/4/02.

Now the question: Anyone here dealt with Allan's Armory? Good experience? Ratings honest?
http://www.allans-armory.com/
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2002, 23:25   #30
7idl
Registered

FALaholic #: 5129
what are the 'guidelines' for submitting your license to dealers?

just throw a signed copy with DL into an envelope to the dealer or what?
Old April 22, 2002, 23:42   #31
'TUDE
Registered

FALaholic #: 704
When I received mine, I just mailed a signed copy to all the dealers who carry C&R firearms listed in Shotgun News. There are others, but the majority place ads there. I also sent a note along with my C&R asking to be placed on their mailing/email list.

[/url]
'TUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2002, 22:20   #32
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jen:
[QB]The process to get your CC&R FFL Licence is quite simple. Here are the steps for you to help you on your way.

thanks, jen. it was simple only because you led the way. keep this post up. it's good to have somebody throwing down the markers,

scott
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2002, 06:13   #33
Spartacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 4208
Must be nice for some of you to have 1-2 month turn around on CC&R. I mailed mine in the end of January and still no sign of anything. Check got cashed the first week though.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 10:36   #34
wdigeorge
Registered

FALaholic #: 5682
BTT - I don't know why this fell off the top of the list. A very good post for people getting their C&R's.

I just got my C&R with the help of the information from this post.

Jen, can you put this back up at the top?
wdigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 19:03   #35
jimmyjoebob
Registered

FALaholic #: 3257
I heard that a lot of recent applications are being returned because they added another form as well. The new form, tho I forgot the name, is one of those " Yes I am a citizen of the US" forms, it is posted on their website.

HTH
James
jimmyjoebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2002, 17:05   #36
Skilter
Registered

FALaholic #: 1021
I have read and will shortly fill out all documentation to get my C&R.

One question of clarification... Some of the information I have read says that you must log the disposition of "ALL firearms" and some say that you must only list the disposition of "ALL C&R firearms".

This could be a big sticking point with me since private transfers in Texas is legal. Which is it?

Thanks,
Skilter

PS- having a C&R has other benefits too. Especially regarding transportation of C&R eligible NFA weapons. Be careful though, local laws change from place to place with regards to possesion of NFA weapons.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
--------------------------------------------
M 7:7-14 tells you all you need to know.
Skilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2002, 07:42   #37
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
sent in my app april 2nd. check was cashed apr 10th.

nothing yet, but patience is my only virtue.
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2002, 07:57   #38
7idl
Registered

FALaholic #: 5129
Quote:
Originally posted by Skilter
....One question of clarification... Some of the information I have read says that you must log the disposition of "ALL firearms" and some say that you must only list the disposition of "ALL C&R firearms".....
This is one of them topics that has been debated on a grand scale. The way I see it, seeing how you are logging stuff into an Acquisition & Disposition Record book and is required by rules governed by your license, then Only those items aquired by the use of your license are required to be logged.
Old July 03, 2002, 16:58   #39
Pa. Patriot
Registered

FALaholic #: 6224
Quote:

This is one of them topics that has been debated on a grand scale. ...
I don't see why, the regs clearly state that C&R firearms acquired with the license are what needs to be logged in and out. Not much to debate

IOW, if you didn't use your C&R to aquire the piece it does not go in the log book.

Homepage and link to pricing deleted to comply with new 'rules'
Pa. Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2002, 17:02   #40
Pa. Patriot
Registered

FALaholic #: 6224
Speaking of log books... I too just obtained a C&R license and after checking out the several free bound book pages available on the web I decided to make my own "improved" version

Here it is: BoundBook1.xls
Hope someone finds it useful.

Homepage and link to pricing deleted to comply with new 'rules'
Pa. Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2002, 20:21   #41
Mountain Mosby
Registered

FALaholic #: 6846
Just sent my paperwork in today. Thanks for all the tips Jen and Y'all!!! I sent it and the one to CLEO certified with a recieve reciept request....

I'll let ya know when I get it...
Mountain Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2002, 20:17   #42
Bearwhositshere
Registered

FALaholic #: 6963
The number of the Beast (I mean form)

The two forms that the ATF require are the:OMB No. 1512-0518 Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics)
And The OMB No. 1512-0571 Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B). The second one being the new form certifing that you are a citizen. Hope this helps.
Bearwhositshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2002, 00:08   #43
Viking 42
Registered

FALaholic #: 7045
Howdy. I'm new here. Hope ya don't mind...

I was pointed to this forum by the C&R forum I frequent the most.

http://www.milsurpshooter.net

I highly suggest you visit there if you are planning on getting your C&R.

Seeya around!
-Az
http://www.asbrand.com

"No Vir, the Universe is an evil place, but at least it seems to have a sense of humor about the whole thing."
- Londo: "The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari" - Babylon 5
Viking 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2002, 15:26   #44
Bob Hauser
Registered

FALaholic #: 5885
Quote:
Originally posted by law4fun

Yes...you are subject to ATF scrutiny of your C&R weapons and bound book. They cannot come to your house without making an appointment unless it is with a warrant. If they want to do a bound book inspection, you can have it at their office where they don't come to your licensed premises location. As to regs for sale of C&R weapons as a dealer...don't go there. As a C&R holder, you are not a dealer. You are a collector. You can sell to another FFL or a resident of your own state just like a private citizen.
I am sure that I missed something that someone will pick up...

Last I knew, the ATF was talking about requiring C&R holders to keep a running list of weapons with serial numbers with the local CLEO. Also they were going to hold C&R's to the same storage requirements as regular FFL holders, like iron bars on the windows, ect.
Was this just a scare tactic or is there any validity to this?

Thanks,

Bob Hauser
Bob Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 06, 2002, 00:02   #45
John Culver
Registered

FALaholic #: 6035
Re: The number of the Beast (I mean form)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bearwhositshere
The two forms that the ATF require are the:OMB No. 1512-0518 Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics)
And The OMB No. 1512-0571 Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B). The second one being the new form certifing that you are a citizen. Hope this helps.

Working on getting all my stuff ready....where do I get the second form?
----------------------
The CPU Shack - CPU History and Microprocessor Collection.
John Culver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 06, 2002, 00:34   #46
Jen
Administrator

Here's the new list of C&R Forms and their links. These links require Adobe Acrobat to be viewed:

Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics)
Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C 922(g)(5)(B)

Old August 06, 2002, 10:01   #47
2ifbyC
Registered

FALaholic #: 3612
Sent my Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) July15th. Yesterday I received the Certification of Compliance form from Atlanta. It's going out today.

I wonder if I had included the CofC if I would have my C&R now?

Oh well, it'll be an early Christmas anyway!
2ifbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 09, 2002, 13:05   #48
Bearwhositshere
Registered

FALaholic #: 6963
Quote:
Originally posted by 2ifbyC
Sent my Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) July15th. Yesterday I received the Certification of Compliance form from Atlanta. It's going out today.

I wonder if I had included the CofC if I would have my C&R now?

Oh well, it'll be an early Christmas anyway!
Yep, I sent mine out on the 15th of July and got it in two weeks flat.
Bearwhositshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2002, 11:50   #49
RedmondBOFH
Registered

FALaholic #: 6486
US Citizen form thingy

Yeah, they sent me one of those to fill out. I mailed it back and within a week, I received lots of books. Early the next week, the purty form showed up in my mailbox, followed by another copy of the C&R List.

Now, I'm mass-mailing people I buy things from.
RedmondBOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 03, 2002, 15:31   #50
Insider
Registered

FALaholic #: 1183
I've been waiting since the Forth of July, got the citizen form the 23rd, returned the next day, haven't heard anything since.
What is the e-mail address to the licensing bureau?
Insider is offline   Reply With Quote