Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old March 25, 2012, 17:29   #1
MajHenryWest
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 11906
Thumbs up WTK: Value of Book - The AR-10 Rifle by Maj. Sam Pikula

The title says it all.

It's a softcover, the one I have (when I finally unearth it in my never ending reorganization of all my "treasures") is in nice shape, no tears, stains, etc.

The book was published in 1998 by the author, and sold by him mostly via mail order.

I read an old post on another web board that the author was called back to active duty after 9-11-01, and that he was no longer pursuing the project, or planning a second printing, etc.

I have searched Amazon, Abebooks, Barnes & Noble, and a bunch of other online book sellers with no results.

I have looked at current and completed auctions on Ebay, Gunbroker and Auction Arms without finding anything.

Even Google has very little on it!

Has anyone bought or sold a copy of this book in the last couple of years? What does it usually go for?

Please let me know, I appreciate the help!
Old March 25, 2012, 18:49   #2
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
Well, here's one, and you're right,..........it's never available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARMALITE-AR1...item1c21b1c8dd

I've been keeping up a constant search for several years and this is the only copy I've ever found on the secondary market(I did buy a copy directly from Pikula many years ago, and a reprint set of the AR-10er from another guy).

Frankly, I think the price for the set on eBay is a steal.

ARMALITE AR10 BY MAJ. SAM PICKULA & AR10'er NEWSLETTERS
Item condition: Very Good
Ended: Mar 25, 201218:17:29 PDT
Sold For: US $519.95
Shipping: FREE USPS Priority Mail
Item location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Seller: Member id armilite1015

You are looking at the only book ever written that tells the story of the original Armalite AR10 by Major Sam Pikula. The book is also autographed by him personnally. There were only about 200 of these books ever printed and are extremely rare. Along with this I'm including an original set of all the AR10'er Newsletters. These are even rarer then the book. I would estimate about 5 complete sets in existence. As a bonus I'm including a little known bonus book with excellent photo's and accompaning article on the AR10 unfortunetly it is in a foreign language. I'm only selling this as I'm getting up in age. Free expedited shipping in the CONUS. Any questions please ask, and thanks for looking.

RUE?

Last edited by kev; June 15, 2012 at 20:56.
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012, 19:07   #3
MajHenryWest
Gold Contributor

Thumbs up

Kev;

Thanks for the link, I missed it somehow.

Have you ever looked through any AR10er newsletters?

I remember a small, limited circulation publication in the late 1970s or early 1980s called the Rapid Fire Review, for the Class III community. Did you see that at all back in the day?
Old March 25, 2012, 21:04   #4
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

I've got a copy of the AR10er newsletters, but I'm pretty sure it's a reprint in book form. I'm trying to remember who I got it from years ago,..........and my mind is telling me his name was Lou Carrillo? Arvada, CO iirc, and he was an active AR10 guy back when the newsletters were current. This all musta been ten yrs ago.

Your next question I can answer now,..............Pikula's book is like the FAL bible, and the newsletters are like a print version of FALfiles. Gotta have both if you're an interested AR10 collector. The newsletters have all the individual research compiled by the faithful,..............not unlike the stickies at a website such as this.

And Rapid Fire Review sounds familiar. I'm going to say that one's got an article about Kent Lomont and his AutoMag collection? Was it a monthly or more like an annual/specialty publication? I don't remember it as a monthly. Pretty sure I've got a copy(or maybe a few if it was a serial), but like you, all my stuff is buried under piles of later acquisitions. This would have been something I was wearing out back in highschool days,..............late 70's. Things like Firepower, New Breed and Gung-ho came later. I still think of Machinegun News as being 'newer' material. I have all that stuff,..............somewhere. When I can't find my copies I usually buy another complete set from someone, so I've probably got multiples of all of it.

Yeah, you missed it because the seller mis-spelled the name. It didn't come up on a search for 'Pikula', but it did come up on 'AR10er'. Like I said,...............I've been beating the bushes fairly hard for a number of years now.

RUE?

Last edited by kev; March 25, 2012 at 21:11.
Old March 25, 2012, 21:43   #5
MajHenryWest
Gold Contributor

Thumbs up

Kev;

Given the popularity of the current crop of AR-10 variants, a 2nd edition of Pikula's book properly updated would likely sell really well. We can hope!

Rapidfire Review was a very small scale publication. I think it was somebody's "labor of love" much like a newsletter a la the AR-10er. It was subtitled "The Magazine for the Auto Weapons Enthusiast" so it set the stage in a fashion for Machine Gun News. I think it was put out quarterly. I don't have any copies put away, and the only picture of a copy I could find on the web (which is shown below) came from an old Auction Arms page dating to 2003.

Does the AR-10er have much of a discussion on the various US made semi-auto lower receivers, such as Telco, H&H, Central Kentucky Arms, etc?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old March 25, 2012, 23:41   #6
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

I've never seen that cover before, so I must be thinking of some other publication.

Pretty sure the AR10er touches on all AR10 subjects. It's been about ten years and I'm not sure what info came from Pikula's book and what came from the AR10er. I'm sure that I know where those two items are in my pile and I could walk right up and grab them, but unfortunately I'm going to be stuck out on the road for the next few months. Don't expect to get home again until the end of June, so memories are all I have to go on.

Did a search online today and found the AR10er website. Saw a reference on the page that mentioned that the entire AR10er was being scanned and would be loaded onto their website for free download, but there was no mention of a date when it would be available. For all I know, it's a dead project and may have run into copyright problems.

RUE?
Old March 27, 2012, 13:54   #7
Yog
Registered

FALaholic #: 1235
Wow!

$519.00 for that book?!?!?!

I have one and if you give me $500.00 it can be yours. I think mine is autographed too!

LOL. Amazing!

Joel N.
"Yog" (in Alaska)
Yog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012, 16:41   #8
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

I think they're all autographed, but it's not the book that brings the price,..............it's the book along with the much rarer AR10er newsletters(and another I suspect Hembrug book,..........forget where I got mine, but someone had them for something like $5 each a few years ago). Notice that the auction closed and 'somebody' paid the price. If the scanned version ever gets posted online, I suspect that'll blow a hole in the values of the originals(I'm not a 'collector', but if I want the info and have to pay 'collector' prices for it, I generally will).

Pikula's book alone might be $100,..........maybe more. Don't know; they're almost never available, but I find lots of people looking for a copy. Guess it depends on what percentage of those lookers are people willing to spend the money.

Due to the price of an original AR10, you're generally dealing with a group of collectors who are more than capable of spending a fair chunk of change for a book.

RUE?
Old March 28, 2012, 11:34   #9
MajHenryWest
Gold Contributor

Thumbs up

I thought the growth and development of the Internet would have made my reading hobby a lot less expensive, due to all the "free" content like the falfiles.com

In reality, it has led me to greater awareness of all the great books and paper publications out there that I must now find!!
Old March 28, 2012, 13:39   #10
1gewehr
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2004
A copy of the Pikula book was advertised on Subguns about a year ago for $250. An hour later it was sold.
Old March 28, 2012, 18:51   #11
MajHenryWest
Gold Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gewehr View Post
A copy of the Pikula book was advertised on Subguns about a year ago for $250. An hour later it was sold.

Wow...
Old March 29, 2012, 14:47   #12
Abominog
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 372
Only 200 copies were made. I expect that the book alone would go for well high of $300 on ebay.

I had previously contacted Maj. Pikula, who said he has no more copies and has no interest in releasing it for re-publication.

A couple years ago somebody (forgot who) had offered photocopies on the internet for IIRC $100.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012, 23:07   #13
HHollow
Registered

FALaholic #: 51917
I am the one who scanned all the AR-10'ers. None of the original issues had any copyright notice. Althought the AR-10'er book sold later was copyrighted.
HHollow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2012, 13:55   #14
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Can you tell me if all the issues you scanned are contained in the book? I worry that there might be something left out there that I haven't managed to rake in.

RUE?
Old April 01, 2012, 14:06   #15
HHollow
Registered

FALaholic #: 51917
The book was call something like "best of the AR-10'ers" and it ws not intended to be comprehensive. Then the other pook by Pikula merely used the AR-10'er issues as references.
HHollow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012, 13:14   #16
MajHenryWest
Gold Contributor

Thumbs up

Copy for Sale on Ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290728974986...84.m1558.l2649
Old July 16, 2013, 12:57   #17
grazingfire
Registered

FALaholic #: 52717