The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old February 21, 2012, 21:45   #1
ElDestructo
Registered

FALaholic #: 62758
Atlantic Firearms

Well ....Coming off a bad Experience with a Century Arms FAL....I bought a DSA STG58 from AtlanticFirearms.com ....what a Mistake that was...I paid for the Gun with a credit card...so I naturally had to pay 4% additional for the convenience of using Plastic (with a Mail Fraud and Satisfaction guarantee).... then I picked a Registered FFL from their Liston Their Website....had it sent to the FFL....well I get a Notification from FedEx...that the Address is not Correct....So I call the FFL...and find out that the County changed all of the House Addresses on His Street...so His Address was no longer what was on File...so I call Atlanticfirearms.com....tell them what is up...give them the correct address...The Guy tells me he will take care of it...15 minutes later...I get another email from FedEx...this time it says "Delivery Denied...Returned To Sender" ....So I call them back...and this Ass...tells me that he can not change the Address on a Signature delivery...and he called the BATF...and they required Him to have it returned...and tells me that I no owe them $40 for shipping once they get the Gun back from FedEx...I ask...How is any of this My fault??? I got the FFL off of Your website...and he tell me that it is not their responsibility to make sure that these are all current...So I told Him ...that was Fine ...I will buy the Gun from DSA themselves...and they could keep their Gun once they got it back from FedEx...and the ASS had the Gall to tell Me...if I did not accept the Order...I owed a %15 re-stocking fee...along with the return Postage...and it would all be added to my Credit Card on File...So let me get this Straight...I paid them $999.99 + $20.00 shipping + $40.76 Credit card Surcharge for a total of $1060.75....now I owe them an additional $40.00 for Shipping...because of their negligence....or I can pay them 15% of my Purchase Price...including Shipping and Surcharge for a Total of $159.11 + $20.00 shipping = $179.11 ... to re-sell a Gun that I bought and they refused to deliver to the Verified Address I got them....So I paid the damned Shipping...to cut my Losses....But I will never do business with this Company again...Never

Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE

Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY

1/20/13 End of an Error
ElDestructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012, 21:58   #2
gaijinsamurai
Registered

FALaholic #: 24362
Damn, that sucks Destructo.

...but thanks for the headsup. Nice to know which businesses to avoid.
gaijinsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012, 23:08   #3
delloro
Registered

FALaholic #: 40289
you need to cool off a little (probably) and write a polite, persuasive letter to whoever owns atlantic, and explain your frustration, and how you had a bad experience with them. explain clearly, without threatening, that you can't afford to do business with them, based on your experience.

in my experience, that can be very effective. if the owner sees that he will lose a customer, and you didn't already piss him off by reading him the riot act while you were mad, he will usually do the right thing.

it's true it wasn't your fault, but it wasn't really theirs, either, the FFL list is there for your convenience. you could have checked them out with a phone call first just as easily as they could have. and guns are a thin-margin item too, they are not making much on them, so keep that in mind too. I am sure you also know that the cc companies charge a fee to use them, thus the 4% surcharge.

let us know what happens.
delloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012, 23:18   #4
nictra
Registered

FALaholic #: 36686
Atlantic is big on another forum I peruse and they are HUGE on CS. You got an assclown for sure, but I can bring it to their attention on my other forum if you wish. I have seen them time and again bend over backwards to help people, so needless to say I'm very surprised to see this!
nictra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2012, 07:32   #5
nfafan
Registered

FALaholic #: 6249
Atlantic is all over the ARFFFFFCom site, and do offer a "forum discount".

You wonder in the age of the 'net, Fbook, forums, etc - what companies like Atlantic and Sportsman Guide are thinking when they treat customers poorly....

EDIT: To be fair to Atlantic, they at least wait 'til after the transaction... From Bud's;

3. Order cancellations or changes, even if IMMEDIATELY after completing your order, are subject to a 10% fee. We do NOT enjoy enforcing this fee, so please make sure you are committed to the purchase BEFORE you confirm your order. If you are uncertain about your order, please delay confirming your order until you are certain.

It looks like if you Google for it and find yet a better deal 3 mins later from elsewhere - your'e out 10%.

Last edited by nfafan; February 23, 2012 at 07:30.
nfafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2012, 08:08   #6
StG58Freak
banned
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21043
I don't care what anyone says i won't ever give Atlantic firearms my hard earned money. Yeah i heard all the great customer service reviews and i think they're posted by shills. I've tried a couple of times to order from them to no avail.

I called several times and no one answered the phone, left a message no one returned it, left email and never answered it. I've read on a couple of other forums where people had called and emailed like myself and received no answer. Atlantic responded to a negative post with something about they're busy. I still think James from GunPartsGuy should have opened a school to teach firearms companies proper customer service because his was the Best
StG58Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2012, 15:04   #7
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Atlantic Firearms is owned by Blaine Bunting. He also owns a landscaping/nursery business at the same address. I suspect Atlantic Firearms is a one-man show, operating right alongside the nursery biz. I doubt if they have any guns in stock from my experiences with them. Full disclosure-I bought an InterArms Tantal AK-74 from Blaine a few years back. First one delivered would not run, returned it and received another one in fairly short order. Blaine was accommodating, especially after he tried out the returned defective rifle and found it would not run for him either. Your story sure sounds like they have a f'ed up policy now. Not too cool...
Gary
Old February 22, 2012, 15:13   #8
CTW
Registered

FALaholic #: 41894
Gary I bought a interarms AKM from them last July and it worked good my initial range trip. I never shot it again until 2 weeks ago and now its having ejection problems. I contacted Atlantic and they referred me to Interarms warranty policy. I probably could track down the problem, but I should not have to spend more money to make it work. I contacted Interarms and they said to ship to them , but did not offer to pay shipping. This kind of pisses me off. Even century ate shipping costs when I had a problem with my WASR-10. And that was 4 times it was shipped back to century and they ate the cost all 4 times to their credit.
CTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2012, 21:15   #9
Meataxe556
Registered

FALaholic #: 65092
Ultimately, I think the County is negligent -- what on earth would be a good reason to suddenly change all the fricking addresses on a street -- even if they'd screwed them all up to begin with? Another GD stupid governmental entity...

Also, I'd never deal with a FFL holder unless I knew him personally -- I certainly would not pick one off a list, because you never know when they might change their address, or even lose their FFL, and the whole deal go in the crapper as you have seen. Also, I would notify the FFL in advance that the gun is on its way, that way, there will be no confusion when the gun comes in and you can head off any problems with addresses, etc. I think if the FFL himself had contacted Atlantic, they probably would have corrected the address and delivered it.

However, since guns are treated differently by common carriers (especially FedEx, who posts anti concealed carry signs at their locations) you run into problems and any little thing will derail the whole process. Of course, nobody wants firearms delivered to the wrong people...

Also, if your FFL is any good, he probably has his own sources for the rifle you want and may even get it for a better price than you'll find on the web. Even if you buy one from a web site, if you have a good FFL holder, it's always better to have the FFL holder initiate the sale and handle all the details and headaches -- also, they probably won't charge you the 4% credit card fee, and may not even charge for S/H depending on how much business they have with the source. My FFL guy only charges $50 to handle a sale and has always come through, often with a better deal than what you see on the web.

Last edited by Meataxe556; February 22, 2012 at 21:28.
Meataxe556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2012, 21:35   #10
kwilal
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meataxe556 View Post
Ultimately, I think the County is negligent -- what on earth would be a good reason to suddenly change all the fricking addresses on a street -- even if they'd screwed them all up to begin with? Another GD stupid governmental entity...
Did that out here years back, something about making everything comply with the 911 system.
Ken
kwilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2012, 21:54   #11
enginecat
Registered

FALaholic #: 62807
I would certainly try contacting him again since he seems like a stand up guy from what everyone here is saying. If that doesn't work, call your CC company and explain what's going on. They will more than likely reverse the charges and you'll be shut of the whole thing.
enginecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2012, 22:09   #12
Tibodoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 44160
I have never had a problem with Atlantic. I talked to Blaine for all three purchases I have made.
I did not pay the surcharge because I sent a money order.
My FFL was chosen off of their list also. I did call them to make sure
they were up to date with Atlantic. I received all of my guns flawlessly.
Tibodoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2012, 22:19   #13
Kolat
Registered

FALaholic #: 65498
Sounds like you did'nt contact the FFL prior to using them.

Yet another reason to call the FFL prior to using them to transfer.

BIG RED LETTERS on their site when you go to the FFL selection page.

"You will need to verify with the FFL that the item you are buying is legal for you to own and discuss them doing the transfer for you prior to choosing them & placing the order . We do not contact the dealer for you ."

T
Old February 22, 2012, 22:21   #14
Meataxe556
Registered

FALaholic #: 65092
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilal View Post
Did that out here years back, something about making everything comply with the 911 system.
Ken
That's just what they'd LIKE you to believe. Trust me, it's just some never ending, chain reaction governmental snafu...
Meataxe556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2012, 22:24   #15
Nathan Forrest
Registered

FALaholic #: 51296
I have dealt with Blaine at Atlantic several times. He was professional great prices, and I had no problems, very smooth transactions. No offense meant, but I think that common sense should have guided you to contact the FFL and clairify everything was cool before Atlantic shipped.
Nathan Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012, 01:32   #16
ElDestructo
Registered

FALaholic #: 62758
To clear something up here...I did contact the FFL on the Phone about the Gun...and how it was being shipped...and I also emailed him the Transaction from Blaine....with the Tracking Number ...so that the FFl could be aware of the Date the Gun was to Arrive...and to clear another thing up...when the FFL noticed that the Address on File was wrong.... They notified Blaine and myself...and FedEx...and Neither Blaine nor FedEx would change the Shipping Address...The FFL Holder could not change it through FedEx...FedEx said it had to be the Shipper ....so Blaine had to ....and he refused...and had the Gun shipped back to Him...so I see no reason I should have been stuck with any of these fees....Blaine had it shipped back...either Him or the negligent FFL Holder should be responsible for the fees....any way...the Gun is supposed to be here next Tuesday...if something else does not go wrong before then....So for those that say Common Sense would have cured this....well...it may have if either FedEx or Atlantic Firearms would have used some.

Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE

Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY

1/20/13 End of an Error
ElDestructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012, 10:27   #17
Brian in MN
Registered

FALaholic #: 289
Call up your credit card company and dispute the charge. Be calm and explain. You might be surprised. I did this once and was stunned to find that the folks at Visa were on my side. They simply took my money back from the thieves at Polytech Parts and told Polytech that they needed to prove to Visa that the money was really theirs. I got my money returned without so much as a whimper from Polytech Parts.

In this case they charged my account for a part they did not have and never shipped. They would not return my email.
Old February 24, 2012, 17:22   #18
ShuckersFan
Registered

FALaholic #: 20097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in MN View Post
Call up your credit card company and dispute the charge. Be calm and explain. You might be surprised. I did this once and was stunned to find that the folks at Visa were on my side. They simply took my money back from the thieves at Polytech Parts and told Polytech that they needed to prove to Visa that the money was really theirs. I got my money returned without so much as a whimper from Polytech Parts.

In this case they charged my account for a part they did not have and never shipped. They would not return my email.
+1
ShuckersFan is offline   Reply With Quote