The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reviews - products, services, and sellers

Notices

Old February 27, 2012, 14:53   #51
kb1
Registered

FALaholic #: 23473
Took mine to the range yesterday. Even only loaded to 10rds, I could not make it through without at least 1 bolt over. I've already gotten over the fact that DSA boned me, but it's pretty 'effng embarrassing clearing malfunctions constantly.
kb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2012, 15:10   #52
MakNorinco
Registered

FALaholic #: 29380
Well, I can at least verify DSA is ALIVE

I saw them setup at the "National Gun Day" show in Louie, KY Saturday morning...
Old February 27, 2012, 15:24   #53
BUFF
Registered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 789
It sure strikes me as odd that they can make higher-capacity FAL mags that work just fine but can't get the standard 20 rounder right.
Old February 27, 2012, 21:46   #54
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820
Thanks so much fellas, I was going to order a few, never mind. Saved me some heartache. I I'll just continue to check the gun shows and the MP fr good deals on surplus mags. My 30's work good but I agree with GP, they are too long, kinda gangly.....
spider991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012, 09:51   #55
nv_dave
Registered

FALaholic #: 63841
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
It sure strikes me as odd that they can make higher-capacity FAL mags that work just fine but can't get the standard 20 rounder right.
I have 5 30's that I have this issue with. Their 30's work in some rifles, just not mine.
nv_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012, 15:55   #56
Dopavash
Registered

FALaholic #: 44433
FWIW, I put two separate 30rnd mags through my newly put-together Hesse/Aussie L1A1 without any hickups. I tried a couple 20rnd surplus mags first to get the bugs out, then switched to the 30s and nary an issue.

They indeed were covered in that nasty black crap that quickly came off when wiped down with gun cleaner. Looks to me like they rattle-canned it with semi-gloss black. But they seem to function well so I don't care.
Dopavash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012, 22:19   #57
cowbilly
Registered

FALaholic #: 2908
Has anyone tried putting the DSA follower/spring in a GI mag body? Or GI guts in a DSA mag body to see if the results are the same on the 20rd mags? I would but I'm away from my personal gear at the moment.
cowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012, 22:45   #58
aezcur
El Argentino
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 49232
I have 5 surplus mags with DSA followers and floor plates ...didn't change the springs...and they work just fine....I think the issue is with the DSA mag body. I didn't want to spend time making comparisons...I already returned. I'll do some more testing with my DSA 30 rounders that were just fine when I tested them...then I put them aside...too long.
Old February 28, 2012, 22:49   #59
Kolat
Registered

FALaholic #: 65498
Has anyone tried adjusting their gas up a little bit on their rifle? I may be completely off base but if the mags are'nt keeping up with the bolt then having the bolt go back a little farther might help?

T
Old February 28, 2012, 23:09   #60
aezcur
El Argentino
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 49232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolat View Post
Has anyone tried adjusting their gas up a little bit on their rifle? I may be completely off base but if the mags are'nt keeping up with the bolt then having the bolt go back a little farther might help?

T
I used the same ammo with surplus mags and the DSA mags, so, no , I didn't adjust the gas....but I can load a cartridge from my BHO with the surplus mags and I can't with the DSA mag.....the bolt will not catch the cartridge so I my guess is that the DSA mags are sitting just a tiny bit lower than the surplus mags.
Old March 01, 2012, 05:16   #61
cowbilly
Registered

I bought some new in the wrap Israeli mags (5) and compared them with the (3)DSA mags I bought from AIM. The DSA springs are much longer than the GI Israeli springs (over 2" could just be compression over time with the Israeli mags). I put the Isreali follower and spring in the DSA mag body, only difference was that it was obviously easier to load.

A couple of things, I noticed is that the Israeli springs have a different bend to them where the spring angles down toward the base plate. Also, the DSA springs are angled a good bit more forward where as the Isreali springs are seated more centered under the follower. The Israeli follower rides a little higher in the mag, Israeli follower in DSA mag body does also (hump on the Israeli follower is slightly higher than the DSA's). The biggest differences seem to be in the spring.

I hear the DSA 30 rounders work, would they have the same geometry at the feed lips as the 20 rounders (manufacturing wise)? It looks as if most are reporting the mags work for a few rounds before the bolt overide occurs. Are we sure this is not a spring issue? Unfortunately, I can't test it out with a live fire.

Last edited by cowbilly; March 01, 2012 at 07:21.
Old March 01, 2012, 08:05   #62
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Izzy springs and followers are different than everyone else's
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 01, 2012, 13:10   #63
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBandit View Post
Man.. I take a break from the files for awhile & when I come back DSA has turned into Century Arms. Do they make anything these days that's not a POS ? I'm reading posts about junk mags, junk bolts, junk lowers, no parts in stock, shitty customer service, etc. Then I see they have a new "rep" who was posting now & then & making some sort of attempt to resolve some of these issues but he hasn't posted now in almost a month. Did he get tired of trying to "fix" issues knowing the higher ups in the company really don't care ? What's the "real story" ? Are they too busy making ARs, fulfilling government contracts, just don't have anyone there anymore who gives a rats ass, etc ? What's the reason they seem to have dropped the ball bigtime ? They were always considered to be the top dog when it came to quality. Maybe because they had all those awsome Steyr parts and now that those are gone they've moved on to other ventures as well ? I just don't get it. DSA Rep... Hello... hello... is there anybody out there ? Just nod if you can hear me... etc.
DSA's reputation was built on the hard work of Austrians. Once the Steyr supply dried up the true colors became vivid. Turd brown being the brightest.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 01, 2012, 13:22   #64
Tat2
Registered

FALaholic #: 52329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolat View Post

T
I did. The first 6 rounds out of my gun had two FTE issues. Round fired and the brass hung up on the extractor. Seemed like a lot of upward pressure from the next round ( too much mag spring) and so I upped the gas to try and force the fired brass back farther to extract it.... but it still hung up like before. After the first 6 rounds ( of which 4 fired fine ) the last 14 worked fine too.

My DSA mag was a lot harder to load than a surplus mag too. But with noticeably more effort when loading on one side. the left side. It looked like the feed lip on the left hung over more than on the right. Like it was over sized compared to a surplus mag.

I left it loaded up for the last week to try and see if it would set the mag spring more.

T
Tat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 02, 2012, 02:00   #65
cowbilly
Registered

Well that figures, those Israelis' and their FAL, just had to be different. Their mags seem to work pretty well though.
Old March 02, 2012, 03:05   #66
glockfan
Registered

FALaholic #: 42500
"DSA's reputation was built on the hard work of Austrians. Once the Steyr supply dried up the true colors became vivid. Turd brown being the brightest."

Forum member Kev told me this years ago, and he sure turned out to be right.

- Ron Paul
glockfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 02, 2012, 08:37   #67
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbilly View Post
Well that figures, those Israelis' and their FAL, just had to be different. Their mags seem to work pretty well though.
Difference is of no real consequence. THere are probably 20 different mag follower variations. The two main ones being single piece or two piece. IN the two piece, there are those witht he front spring catch, and the izzy without it.

And as mentioned above, some of the izzy springs have a different radius to the bends - more circle than oval.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 02, 2012, 23:41   #68
cowbilly
Registered

It is amazing all the variations of such a simple thing as a magazine (then again simple is always hard).

I still would like to see the results of a known/good GI follower/spring being placed into a DSA mag body. It would easily eliminate that as an issue. I have had some mags that were really loose in the mag well but still functioned fine.
Old March 03, 2012, 03:50   #69
newuser
Registered

FALaholic #: 65661
I also just bought some DSA mags. two 20 rounders and two 30's from Apex.
The 20 rd mags have the uneven bluing with spots of light corrosion. One of the mag's follower binds tight against the inside after about 3/4 inch. The other binds slightly but will go down. The feed lips are much sharper than my surplus mags. The 30 rd mags have a more uniform deeper blue with no corrosion. No binding either. All four lock into the magwell normally. They all came in plastic sleeves with no packaging. I haven't test fired any of them. It's a good thing I read this thread otherwise I would have put these newly purchased mags away without testing for months. It's perhaps telling that my recently purchased DSA came with an old scratched up surplus mag rather than one of their new ones.
I'm thinking of returning the tightly binding one but it's probably not cost effective.

Another unusual feature. I have never seen a firearm magazine with a web address on it as these do.
newuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 04, 2012, 05:19   #70
Tat2
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2 View Post
I did. The first 6 rounds out of my gun had two FTE issues. Round fired and the brass hung up on the extractor. Seemed like a lot of upward pressure from the next round ( too much mag spring) and so I upped the gas to try and force the fired brass back farther to extract it.... but it still hung up like before. After the first 6 rounds ( of which 4 fired fine ) the last 14 worked fine too.

My DSA mag was a lot harder to load than a surplus mag too. But with noticeably more effort when loading on one side. the left side. It looked like the feed lip on the left hung over more than on the right. Like it was over sized compared to a surplus mag.

I left it loaded up for the last week to try and see if it would set the mag spring more.

T
I just ran the mag that I used above again today after storing it loaded for a week and it ran off all 20 rounds perfect. reloaded 20....same deal. ran great. 30 rounder ran through 30 rounds with no problems.

T
Old March 05, 2012, 01:25   #71
cowbilly
Registered

That's good news, maybe it is the springs, that is a simple fix. Anyone else try this or switch to a GI spring?
Old May 18, 2012, 20:08   #72
Waldo1
Registered

FALaholic #: 6641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2 View Post
I just ran the mag that I used above again today after storing it loaded for a week and it ran off all 20 rounds perfect. reloaded 20....same deal. ran great. 30 rounder ran through 30 rounds with no problems.

T
The Thread Which Will Not Die...
Tat2: Am I understanding you correctly that fully loading a stock, DSA 20-round mag and leaving it loaded for a week has allowed this mag to function correctly without the 'Bolt-Over-Base' fault that the previous DSA mags exhibited in their last 3-5 rounds? I'm trying to understand this whole process that has been going on since 2009 because, it seems to me that the proper mag dimensions are IN THERE somewhere and all someone has to do is find them. It seems that if the DSA mags' feed-lip geometry was faulty, then the Bolt Over Base malfunctioning would be occurring on the first few rounds and periodically all the way through the mag, instead of just the last couple of rounds. Make sense? If I am understanding correctly that is always occurring in the last few rounds, then that would sound like a spring, follower or mag body issue. More probably follower or spring, since these are the primary variables as the mag capacity decreases (the upper mag-body/feed lips remain constant and it correctly guided the previous 15 rounds). I am going to fetch another beer and think deep thoughts...
Old May 19, 2012, 00:56   #73
Tat2
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo1 View Post
The Thread Which Will Not Die...
Tat2: Am I understanding you correctly that fully loading a stock, DSA 20-round mag and leaving it loaded for a week has allowed this mag to function correctly without the 'Bolt-Over-Base' fault that the previous DSA mags exhibited in their last 3-5 rounds? I'm trying to understand this whole process that has been going on since 2009 because, it seems to me that the proper mag dimensions are IN THERE somewhere and all someone has to do is find them. It seems that if the DSA mags' feed-lip geometry was faulty, then the Bolt Over Base malfunctioning would be occurring on the first few rounds and periodically all the way through the mag, instead of just the last couple of rounds. Make sense? If I am understanding correctly that is always occurring in the last few rounds, then that would sound like a spring, follower or mag body issue. More probably follower or spring, since these are the primary variables as the mag capacity decreases (the upper mag-body/feed lips remain constant and it correctly guided the previous 15 rounds). I am going to fetch another beer and think deep thoughts...
Yes. I left it compressed for a week and it worked. Only one mag and I
only ran 40 rounds thru it. I never had BOB issues. Only FTE for the first
6 rounds. Last 14 always ran right from day one.

T
Old July 03, 2012, 17:32   #74
IRONWORKER
Registered

FALaholic #: 48581
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
DSA's reputation was built on the hard work of Austrians. Once the Steyr supply dried up the true colors became vivid. Turd brown being the brightest.

This would make a great sig line!!!