The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Daewoo Files

Notices

Old November 10, 2011, 12:45   #1
Ellis
Registered

FALaholic #: 63649
Part out RRA LAR15 to outfit Daewoo?

I've been mulling over what to do with these rifles for weeks now. Bear with me on this crazy idea...

I have a stock DR200 and an LAR15/A2. The dealer that sold it to my friend converted it to the cheap CDNN commercial CAR stock. I changed to a flat-top A4 receiver with T numbers ($80), added an ARMS flip up rear sight($135 iirc), and a VLTOR Emod stock ($120 + $40 for milspec tube). I'm halfway to a decent AR, still need optics and maybe a flip up front. It fires perfectly, just need about $500-1000 to finish it.

Then I've got a perfectly serviceable DR200 begging for some mods. I'm going to throw on a Stormwerkz low mount, Stage 2 adapter, and get a collapsible stock for it, along with a S0b3 pistol grip. Then a 90 degree selector, and WTH why not a trigger group? I still haven't decided between the Stormwerkz full forend or just going with an FAL forend conversion.

So now I'm looking at spending about $2k total to get both rifles done, and times ain't easy right now.

I then thought I'd sell the AR and use the cash for bills (if I ever meet this Bill guy, me and him are gonna have words) and for finishing the Woo. So I walked around a few shows with the AR, and I had plenty of people look but didn't want to come anywhere near what I had in the rifle, and what they would have in the rifle if they built it themselves. Lately it seems like people just walk away at any price over $700 for an AR regardless of what parts it has. I guess they think they'll get the add-ons for free if they build it.

So finally I figured I'd just throw the A2 receiver and cheap garbage CAR stock back on there, keep the VLTOR for my Woo, and go back to the show with an $800 tag on it and go from there. But I have no barrel wrench (had a friend install my A4 receiver) and I don't want to ruin this stuff.

What do you guys think about me using the parts I want off the LAR and selling off the rest? I could put the A2 back on the barrel, and then sell:

complete upper for $200 or more
the A4 receiver for $80-100
ARMS flip up for $100 at least
CAR stock for $25

When all is done I could throw the RR trigger in the DR200 and hang the Emod on the back. I end up with a trick DR200 and a stripped AR lower I can sell or just hang on to in case I decide to built the "right" AR15 down the line.

So is this insane or do I have the beginnings of a good plan?

Last edited by Ellis; December 14, 2011 at 23:27.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011, 18:41   #2
s0b3
Registered

FALaholic #: 22418
AR15s are easy to get and cheap if you decide you want one later. Which do you enjoy shooting more?
s0b3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011, 19:32   #3
Ellis
Registered

FALaholic #: 63649
I would enjoy shooting the DR200 as much or more than the AR, and the rarity of it makes it more desirable to me. Evil black guns are all around, but the Daewoo gets a lot more interest when I take it out.

Whether I part the LAR out or sell it complete, I'd rather get rid of it and complete the Daewoo than the other way around. The thing is, would I be better off parting the LAR or selling it in one piece?
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011, 23:17   #4
s0b3
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
I would enjoy shooting the DR200 as much or more than the AR, and the rarity of it makes it more desirable to me. Evil black guns are all around, but the Daewoo gets a lot more interest when I take it out.

Whether I part the LAR out or sell it complete, I'd rather get rid of it and complete the Daewoo than the other way around. The thing is, would I be better off parting the LAR or selling it in one piece?
parting it out would probably bring you more money but take longer.

i'm working on some full length polymer handguards for the daewoo, they will utilize the stock lug and look like some slim hk style handguards. stormwerkz has some nice railed handguards as well.
Old November 10, 2011, 23:28   #5
s0b3
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ellis

parting it out would probably bring you more money but take longer.

i'm working on some full length polymer handguards for the daewoo, they will utilize the stock lug and look like some slim hk style handguards. stormwerkz has some nice railed handguards as well.