The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old November 09, 2011, 17:48   #1
Jpanzer
Registered

FALaholic #: 53708
New Thermold FAL mags?

I'm well aware of the history of Moses and his development of the poly FAL mag.

Now putting that aside for the moment, has anyone actually TRIED the new Thermold poly mag? I have not, but am curious if others HAVE and what their impression of it was...
Jpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2011, 20:45   #2
jerry704
Registered

FALaholic #: 62933
i have tried them. let me give you the back story... i hade purchased about 10 of the thermold ar 15 mags to go in my daewoo dr 200 (10, 20, and 30 rounders) all of them functioned great except 1 of the 30 rounders. it kept causing the round to deadhead into the front of the mag body and had pushed the projectile into the inside of the casing! i thought well hell no problem it was only $6. at my local gun shop. but then i figured hey might as well call thermold and see if they wanted to take care of the problem or what. i left a message and my call was returned the next day. the guy on the phone said no problem let me send you a new one free of charge so i said wow you dont even want this one back? he said no just take the parts out and toss the body out, so i said hey since you are going to be so good about this product let me buy one of your inch version mags. it was decent priced but shipping was a little high in my opinion. anyways like 2 days later my metric fal mag showed up...... i wanted inch version i called joe back at thermold and informed him of the mix up and he sent a new inch mag and a return label for the metric. i did try to cycle the action with the metric just to see if it would work... it would feed the round on the right but just scip over the one on the left. i got the inch mag in 2 more days and it has functioned perfectly the 3 times i have taken it to the range. i have a century franken fal l1a1. the notch on front of mag looks like the metric on both inch and metric mag but the back of the mag is different slightly. i am still waiting on Moses's mags but if i could buy a couple more inch thermolds locally without paying shipping i probably would.
jerry704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011, 19:06   #3
Jpanzer
Registered

I'm sure Moses mags will be the shit, but I am intrigued by Thermold since they claim to have redesigned their metric FAL mags. Just wish I could find a objective recent review of them. Even mentioning them on this board seems to throw people into conniption fits...
Old November 11, 2011, 10:29   #4
Grahamneall
Registered

FALaholic #: 62175
Not sure when the Thermold 'redesign' was done....I bought a couple earlier this year for my Sarco Argy build, trying to limit the number of changes I needed to make for 922r.

GunPlumber did the work on my kit, so I know there are no issues there, but the first time I went to the range, my Argy wanted nothing to do with the Thermold mags.

Went back to my Austrian & Belgium mags and everything was fine...

Graham.
Austin, Tx
Grahamneall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2011, 14:58   #5
CaveNil
Registered

FALaholic #: 41895
I bought 2 Thermold mags recently for my STG58. The fit is very tight in the magwell, a bit difficult to seat it because of the friction. But they do seat.

I've only shot them each once (10 rounds each). Worked pretty well. However, the only malfunction I've EVER had with my FAL was a round not being stripped from the mag with one of the Thermolds. I racked the charging handle again, and it worked fine for the rest.

To be fair, I was shooting steelcased ammo. And steel tends to have more friction in magazines than brass from my experience in other guns.

Sorry it's not a large data set, but that has been my experience so far. I will update if there are any more failures.
Old November 12, 2011, 02:16   #6
Jpanzer
Registered

Thanks guys. This is the kind of info I am looking for. Folks who actually have them and have used them!
Old November 13, 2011, 19:07   #7
Battleborn2002
Registered

FALaholic #: 50815
I have six of the new Thermold mags. They work fine in my Imbel on Imbel FAL but not so much with my Imbel on Coonan Fal. With a couple of hours of fitting, I finally got one to work and gave up on the rest.
Old January 12, 2012, 11:40   #8
CaveNil
Registered

FALaholic #: 41895
I just wanted to give an update.

The polymer mags from Thermold cause jams on my STG58 with brass milsurp as well. I have thrown them both out; no reason to have magazines that don't work.

Caveat emptor.

Get real FAL mags if you can - skip the plastic stuff.
Old February 05, 2012, 23:16   #9
tarugs
Registered

FALaholic #: 43940
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveNil View Post
I just wanted to give an update.

The polymer mags from Thermold cause jams on my STG58 with brass milsurp as well. I have thrown them both out; no reason to have magazines that don't work.

Caveat emptor.

Get real FAL mags if you can - skip the plastic stuff.
Would've bought them from you, they can be modified to work on SCAR 17s.
tarugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2012, 02:33   #10
Jpanzer
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarugs View Post
Would've bought them from you, they can be modified to work on SCAR 17s.
That's interesting to know...
Old February 06, 2012, 12:17   #11
connectologist
Registered

FALaholic #: 64408
Thermold experience

I put the first 80 rounds through my newly built Argy (on DSA receiver) yesterday. I used 2 Thermold 20 round mags and a steel 20 rounder. The polymer mags worked great. I did have one failure to feed with the steel mag.

I was shooting Radway Green and FN surplus ammo.
connectologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2012, 10:28   #12
gear-head
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6692
I have 5 new Thermold Metric mags. I have taken one to the range so far for a test. Several times, on the 19th round, it failed to be stripped from the mag into the chamber. Took the mag out, pounded it on the table once and re-seated, rounds get stripped. This happened maybe 25% of the time.

I think this may juts be a break-in issue, time will tell.
‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’
gear-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2012, 15:40   #13
jugrunner
restless
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 19911
18 rnds or 20 rnds ... That is the question ...

"Remember man as you pass by, as you are now, so once was I. As I am now, so you shall be. Prepare for death and follow me."

one of the proud "unwashed" ...
jugrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2012, 16:45   #14
IRONWORKER
Registered

FALaholic #: 48581
My experience with them has been less than favorable..... I traded into some & had 2 or 3 FTF out of a fully loaded mag with 3 of the 4 mags.... The last mag has worked 100% so far

The 2 rifles i tried the mags in NEVER had stoppages of any kind before.... IMO if you can get em' for free it's worth a try but don't waste any $$$ on them, your better off with 1 milsurp mag you can depend on than a 5 gallon bucket full of Thermolds