The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 30, 2010, 11:20   #1
JaredrLewman
Registered

FALaholic #: 50931
Interarms Firestar 9mm good deal?

Have a chance to pick up one of these puppies for $150 or less, is this a decent deal? Its blued one mag nice condition.
JaredrLewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2010, 11:41   #2
lawdog
Registered

FALaholic #: 7773
That would likely be the Firestar M43 made by Star and imported by Interarms.

Star is belly up.
Interarms is out.

They were quality firearms. The M43 is all steel and a little heavy as a result. Accuracy is generally decent with them and they were pretty reliable.

I have one in "Starvel", their brushed nickel style finish.

Don Hume was the last big holster maker still putting out holsters for them.

For $150.00 it is a good deal.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2010, 11:55   #3
JaredrLewman
Registered

Thats the one, its not the plus model, but this is a good deal... Good to know will post pics if I get her.
Old September 30, 2010, 14:37   #4
AndyC
Porridge Wog
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19755
Solid little piece, yup

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2010, 18:07   #5
1gewehr
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2004
Aftermarket mags are useless except for malfunction drills. Factory mags are pricey but worth it. Don't dry fire it a lot without a snap cap as you may break the firing pin.
Other than that they are reliable, accurate, and durable little pistols. I like mine a lot.
Old October 01, 2010, 10:10   #6
JaredrLewman
Registered

Picking her up tonight for $125, pics posted soon.
Old October 01, 2010, 10:32   #7
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
What a deal, they are nice (but heavy) little pistols. Still have one in Starvel, it was my carry piece for many years until I pulled it out of my belt one too many times, cocked and not locked (the safety was off). It had a 2.5 pound trigger courtesy of Accuracy Speaks in AZ..
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2010, 14:23   #8
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
I like mine in 40 - look for the mag with pinky extention it helps.
I'd say you got a good deal
Old October 01, 2010, 15:03   #9
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally posted by hagar
Still have one in Starvel, it was my carry piece for many years until I pulled it out of my belt one too many times, cocked and not locked (the safety was off). It had a 2.5 pound trigger courtesy of Accuracy Speaks in AZ..
Ouch! That could leave a mark...or, something missing, lol
Old October 01, 2010, 16:46   #10
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Quote:
Originally posted by Texgunner

Ouch! That could leave a mark...or, something missing, lol
That's why I went to a Glock 26!

If you ever need spares or magazines for it, there is a guy in Europe that post on Gunboards under the name "Star". People give him good marks, and he ships to the US.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2010, 06:16   #11
JaredrLewman
Registered

WTF kind of person makes a deal then just simply never calls or sends any sort of message and backs out of the deal....
Old October 02, 2010, 22:32   #12
AndyC
Porridge Wog
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19755
Awwww - that blows

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2010, 23:26   #13
308/223shooter
Airborne Combat Engineer
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally posted by JaredrLewman
WTF kind of person makes a deal then just simply never calls or sends any sort of message and backs out of the deal....
The kind who most likely got a better cash offer than the $125.00.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2010, 03:12   #14
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally posted by JaredrLewman
A douchebag.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2010, 06:29   #15
JaredrLewman
Registered

Person could at least say hey I sold it or something. Instead of just being a douche bag
Old October 04, 2010, 13:55   #16
StarPD
Registered

FALaholic #: 4773
The Firestar replaced the Star PD, but was produced in more calibers than the .45 ACP that the PD was only available in. For my money, the Firestar was not the gun that the PD is/was. Too bad Star dropped production of the PD, so named after the famous gun designer Pete Dickey.

Save your money and look for a PD, preferably in "Starvel" finish like mine.
Try "Gunbroker".
For my money, there is no finer carry gun than a PD in Starvel.
Many of our members have them and like myself, swear by them.
Mine goes EVERYWHERE with me, hence my screen name. It is my constant, and I mean constant, companion.
FWIW, mine shoots 1-1/2" groups @ 25 yards with Federal "Hydra-Shok" 230 grain ammo regularly. Note also that unlike the mini .45s that are based on the 1911, the PD has a safety that allows carry with one in the chamber, and the safety locks the slide, hammer (down), and sear, but can be flipped off quickly and the hammer cocked on the draw. While slightly larger than the mini .45s, it is a little slimmer, and very easy to conceal. I carry mine in a Galco "Skyops" or Galco "Royal Guard" (horsehide) inside the waistband holster, depending on what I'm wearing. The Skyops with the PD is literally invisible with the PD, and allows a shirt to be tucked in over the gun and holster, between the holster and waistband, but a simple tug on the shirt exposes it for drawing. For my money, it's the best concealment package for a .45 ACP pistol. The "Royal Guard" is best for carrying under a sweater or jacket.

Unfortunately, you'll have to look long and hard for a Starvel PD, much less even a blued model. Most owners will not give theirs up for any price these days.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
StarPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2010, 14:50   #17
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally posted by hagar
That's why I went to a Glock 26!
Actually, I'm a fan of the Glocks (especially the 17 and the 21), but you won't find me sticking one in my waistband, if you catch my drift. You really need to find a way to carry a Glock with the trigger covered. There are many nice holsters that will allow you to do that and that are pretty small to boot...

The Firestar is/was a nice little gun, but it is very heavy for its size (being all steel), a feature it shared with the Astra A75, and is single action only (if that makes a difference to you) unlike the Astra A75, which was standard SA/DA. Personally, for a really small gun like the Firestar, I prefer SA/DA actions...

Having said that, I carry a Star PD (and have carried it at least part of pretty much every day since about 1986). I originally carried it in a Minuteman belt holster, but have carried it in a Houston Holsters synthetic paddle holster (originally made for the M1911 Commander, but works quite well for the PD, including completely covering the slide) for the past several years. As far as I know, the Houston Holsters (made in Argentina) are no longer available. I originally bought two of these holsters (and should have bought more) and have broken one (by falling flat on my back on a concrete floor at the shop from the ladder leading up to our over-office storage area (from about eight feet up). I was wearing a light padded vest pulled over the holster, and the holster broke off where it was attached to the paddle. The gun was unharmed. Much to my surprise, I was unharmed too, except for having the wind knocked out of me. Luckily, I missed hitting a couple of steel doorstops and narrowly missed hitting my head on the base of one of our milling machines. After laying there on my back on the floor for a couple of minutes waiting for the pain to hit, I finally got up enough courage to get up. Other than being pretty black and blue for a number of weeks, I came through with no damage. I did it while I was the only one in the shop too, which was pretty stupid to begin with... I could have laid there for a couple of days before anyone found me.

However, my point is really that the Star PD was completely undamaged in the synthetic holster, even though the holster was broken.

Finding current holsters for the PD is not exactly easy, although Galco has manufactured a speed scabbard type holster (completely covering the side) and perhaps still offers it. I imagine that finding holsters for the Firestar is even harder than for the PD.

I had the PD that I carry hard chromed back in 1986 (Metalife SS Chromium M) and it still looks nearly new except for the wear on the anodized frame (mostly from the holster grabbing the trigger guard for retention purposes).

For a decent price I would quickly grab a Firestar regardless of my preference for SA/DA in such a sized gun.

Sorry that you had your Firestar yanked out from under you, Jared.

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2010, 09:29   #18
Glucker
Registered

FALaholic #: 12384
Not to throw too much of a monkey wrench into the Star lover's online meeting, but my Firestar wasn't particularly reliable. After about 500 rounds and it still hadn't broken in to the point it would feen factory hollowpoints regularly, I went ahead and sold it.

The fact that the magazine would release the top round in my back pocket where I carried it didn't help either. My Kahr 9 mags did that too.
Old February 10, 2013, 16:13   #19
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
I've got a thousand rounds+ through my M45 without the first malfunction. I know where a Starvel finished M43 is right now for the asking price of $300. I considered buying it for my wife but ended up buying her a new FNX 9 yesterday instead. She wanted NEW and I like to please my wife of nearly 37 years.

But I have nothing but good words for the Firestar series.