Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old August 03, 2010, 10:26   #1
def90
Registered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Early G1 kits on the market again..

Heads up.. Apex has early G1 kits up for $250, almost too good to be true. I called and they said the photo is of one of the kits.. If so they are Type A lowers and Browning flash hiders.. I will find out in a day or so if it is really the case..

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...oducts_id/1550

Here's the description:
"Original Belgian manufactured 7.62 FN Fal metric parts kit. The kits are complete less the barrel and receiver. These select kits have matching serial numbers on the bolt, carrier and lower receiver. These guns may have had parts replaced over their years in service so they may vary slightly from the pictured image.
These kits were manufactured in the mid 1950's and were delivered to Germany before the adoption of the G1 FAL rifle. These kits have high sights, early selector markings and a C1 type slotted flash hider. Germany had a number of small design changes made to the FAL rifle before they adopted what in 1956 became the G1 Fal.
None of those changes are present in these rifle kits.
These are not the more common G1 parts kits. "
def90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 10:27   #2
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
why no barrel?
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 10:28   #3
def90
Registered
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by SPEEDGUNNER
why no barrel?
None of the kits come with barrels anymore.. The last batch of these that Sportsmans Guide and Century had didn't have barrels either.
Old August 03, 2010, 10:47   #4
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
I get a feeling the entire lot of the guns came to the US in the way of cut barrel kits. Seems like they turn up more than they should. By the time you figure the correct stock is an additional $300 + incorrect barrel is $200-$300 and the flash suppressors are trashed so add another $50. Seems more like a $$$ pit that's better off parted into shooters. Otherwise it winds up being a 3/4 match $2,000 kit gun.

$250kit
$300Stock
$250barrel
$50 FS
$400receiver
$125922r
$100Shipping

Total=$1,475

Factor in refinish and build cost and it hits $2k.

Much better buys out there on premium quality parts sets.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 10:49   #5
Brasshound
Registered

FALaholic #: 54993
These are PRE G1 kits. Tall sights.
I spoke to them yesterday about a quantity purchase as well..
They are supposed to be checking the fit of their barrels for me today.
Old August 03, 2010, 10:56   #6
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally posted by Brasshound
These are PRE G1 kits. Tall sights.
I spoke to them yesterday about a quantity purchase as well..
They are supposed to be checking the fit of their barrels for me today.
They don't have the correct barrels. If they can reproduce the correct barrel that would make it a bit more attractive but still expensive.
Old August 03, 2010, 10:57   #7
Brasshound
Registered

I am also in the process of doing a receiver option too.

NOT @ $400.
My Sample will be delivered today. I ordered it in the white.. Will take pictures if you like..

The prices you posted are all premium prices.. There is lesser cost on items you described.

Brasshound.
Old August 03, 2010, 10:59   #8
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Thanks def...got one ordered and get ready for the stampede.
Old August 03, 2010, 11:00   #9
def90
Registered
Silver Contributor

Well, it's hard to say, considering that the few kits that are out on the market right now are all higher priced than these I would take it for the type A lower. I know some people were getting the correct stock with their kits in the last go around, that would be one of the bigger variables.. For someone that hasn't had the opportunity to collect a shop full of parts for next to nothing over the last 20-30 years I figure with 2 kits I can pick the best of both, put on a new Argy barrel and have a pretty nice shooting early gun. We all know that it is cheaper at the moment to go out and just buy a complete one than build one but what fun is that?

Even if you get a nicer kit you are still spending about the same.. Current $600 Brit kits in the marketplace and on Gunbroker +$340 Brit receiver +$125 in 922r parts +assembly fees if you do not have the tools yourself and you end up in the same boat.
Old August 03, 2010, 11:02   #10
Brasshound
Registered

If there are less expensive quality kit out there where might I find one..
Any help would be appreciated..

Brasshound.
Old August 03, 2010, 11:08   #11
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by nwobhm
I get a feeling the entire lot of the guns came to the US in the way of cut barrel kits. Seems like they turn up more than they should. By the time you figure the correct stock is an additional $300 + incorrect barrel is $200-$300 and the flash suppressors are trashed so add another $50. Seems more like a $$$ pit that's better off parted into shooters. Otherwise it winds up being a 3/4 match $2,000 kit gun.

$250kit
$300Stock
$250barrel
$50 FS
$400receiver
$125922r
$100Shipping

Total=$1,475

Factor in refinish and build cost and it hits $2k.

Much better buys out there on premium quality parts sets.
You know if you do it incrementally it doesn't hurt so bad or just sock a kit away and sell it next year for $800 like some others I've seen here.

922r? What the hell is that.
Except for the mint stock which I already have, I believe your numbers are correct.
Old August 03, 2010, 11:10   #12
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally posted by Brasshound
If there are less expensive quality kit out there where might I find one..
Any help would be appreciated..

Brasshound.
Try the NEW Sarco Argentine kits. There is a group buy now for around $500. DSA receiver is around $400 in your hands unless you have your own FFL. You can save $50-$75 by using a cast receiver.
Old August 03, 2010, 11:12   #13
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally posted by DakTo
922r? What the hell is that.
I hate 922r.
Old August 03, 2010, 11:16   #14
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
There are a couple kickers with these kits that might make a huge diff. I'm hoping for an original A stock for sure. I also requested that they check the rear of the bolts for damage. Optimistic that at least some of the kits are better than the pic they used. If these do come in with a throwaway Turk stock, a scrapped bolt and a pranged F/H,..................then there isn't much left for the $250. I've got three kits coming with hopes of building two representative rifles, but it's a gamble.

Never dealt with the company before. Haven't received any useful info from them, and they just now hit my CC from my order on Thursday or I would have posted a heads-up myself. Kinda scared to get anyone excited about these things yet. Starting to feel a little uncomfortable about them, but I was so far out of the loop last time that I swore I'd jump at the next chance if it came around. It hasn't helped my outlook that I took sick on Thursday within a couple of hours of finding them(on GB)and placing the order. Thursday night was the worst night of my life and I'm just now coming around and starting to feel human again. I'm still not sure if it was the burrito or these kits that caused it. Shame we don't have a puking :smiley: here,.................

BTW, what's the hangup with the barrel? The kits have the gasblock, so any metric barrel will more or less work,.............right? I've still got scads of VG or better barrels laying around for just this purpose.

I'm looking at $250 for the kit, getting lucky for a stock, $0 for a barrel and I don't want to refinish. If the kits come with that horrid metallic G1 front end like pictured, it'll get scrapped and replaced with some early wood guards I have stashed. They're inch, but only a few fools here will know the difference. I'll definitely splurge for a T-1 receiver on this one(my ONLY T-1 semi),..................so maybe $650 for a worn representative example. Maybe nothing on it will be 'correct', but from 10' away I bet it'll pass. Who needs another Imbel on Imbel build? Perfectly nice guns, but painfully ordinary. These things should at least add a little fun back into the equation.

RUE?

Last edited by kev; August 03, 2010 at 11:27.
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 11:16   #15
def90
Registered
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Try the NEW Sarco Argentine kits. There is a group buy now for around $500. DSA receiver is around $400 in your hands unless you have your own FFL. You can save $50-$75 by using a cast receiver.
I agree that the Argy kits are one of the best deals and options on the market at the moment if you are just looking for a good FAL. If you are looking for something that has some kind of history behind it or prefer the feel of wood over plastic then that option is out. It's the same as buying and restoring a 66 Mustang Fastback vs. just going out and buying a new one. You will spend more on the Fastback, it will probably handle worse and you will probably never get back what you put into it but in the end it's a Fastback.
Old August 03, 2010, 11:21   #16
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:

I hate 922r.
nwob: Don't you just hate when you have collected all those precious parts over the years and was finally was able to built that rare type FAL just to have these same type parts dumped on the market....cheap?

How many times have we seen that happen either with firearms or parts over the years?
Old August 03, 2010, 11:29   #17
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally posted by kev
There are a couple kickers with these kits that might make a huge diff. I'm hoping for an original A stock for sure. I also requested that they check the rear of the bolts for damage. Optimistic that at least some of the kits are better than the pic they used. If these do come in with a throwaway Turk stock, a scrapped bolt and a pranged F/H,..................then there isn't much left for the $250. I've got three kits coming with hopes of building two representative rifles, but it's a gamble.

When SG had them I called and there were 22 left. I almost ordered the entire inventory. Decided against it, regretted it when pix started showing up, now have decided against these after seeing more pix of the bolts and incorrect stocks. I agree it's a gamble that has potential to pay off big if the stock, FS and bolt are all undamaged and correct. Hope it works out for you kev, look forward to seeing pictures.
Old August 03, 2010, 11:36   #18
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
I've known Jeff Selvig, one of the owners of Apex for a few years now...he is a stand up guy. No worries guys. If any of you have an issue, ask for him by name. He will take care of us.

-edit for typo-
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

Last edited by FALonious; December 31, 2010 at 10:46.
FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 11:43   #19
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:

nwob: Don't you just hate when you have collected all those precious parts over the years and was finally was able to built that rare type FAL just to have these same type parts dumped on the market....cheap?

How many times have we seen that happen either with firearms or parts over the years?
I have been a collector of things all my life. It took me 20 years to realize that things aren't as rare as we think. It's supply and demand. I follow many of my previous addictions just to see if I was correct in my exit strategy. I have always sold when values are extremely high.
Old August 03, 2010, 11:48   #20
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Guys this is the disclaimer which make me learn how to spell worry with a capital W.

"These guns may have had parts replaced over their years in service so they may vary slightly from the pictured image."
Old August 03, 2010, 11:50   #21
FaNaticAL!
Registered

FALaholic #: 314
Quote:

Man, I wish a boat-load of T48 & T48-E1 parts would show up! I'd just about kill for an early T48-E1 bipod and a couple of complete PGs...

FaNaticAL!
FaNaticAL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 12:05   #22
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

Quote:
Guys this is the disclaimer which make me learn how to spell worry with a capital W.

"These guns may have had parts replaced over their years in service so they may vary slightly from the pictured image."
True enough, but if you look at the pic, half the parts showing are later 'replacements'. What the entire blurb reads to me is that these are NOT G1 kits and don't have the general G1 features. The pictured kit is an early A(right?), with G1 stock and handguards/bipod. Probably still had the early barrel that was torched, otherwise the F/H would be the stud mounted G1. I'm hoping my shipped kits DO "vary slightly from the pictured image". Like I said, I'm an optimist and when I look at that pic and read that disclaimer, it gives me hope. No doubt these kits are a complete kludge of various parts, but I'm willing to bet that some are more or less original. To me, these are the same as $100 Rhodie kits adjusted for inflation and I'd rather take a chance and loose on either than 'win' on an Imbel kit where I'm pretty much assured of getting exactly what I'm expecting.

My only real concern is getting a kit with a torched barrel, a gouged out unuseable bolt, a crushed F/H, and throwawy furniture. If that happens and I get a decent early lower with matching carrier, I'll add in an un-numbered bolt and the other parts to make it decent and call it good enough. Hey, I'm just after the high sights anyway. What's $250? If I strike out three times on three kits, it's not a steal, but still not really a rip either. I'm pretty confident I can put together parts for one really nice A and still have $500 worth of parts to make up two other kits. Problem is going to be the wait. Haven't heard word of shipping date yet and I'm leaving tomorrow for a couple of weeks on the road. Hopefully some reports and pics will get posted while I'm gone.

RUE?

Last edited by kev; August 03, 2010 at 12:12.
Old August 03, 2010, 12:11   #23
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
I tried to blow up the picture but couldn't confirm these are EF DF lowers...I hope so!
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 12:18   #24
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

Quote:

I have been a collector of things all my life. It took me 20 years to realize that things aren't as rare as we think. It's supply and demand. I follow many of my previous addictions just to see if I was correct in my exit strategy. I have always sold when values are extremely high.
That's how it works. I remember NOT buying G3 mags when they were $60, but scarfing them up later when they were $15. What do you do when they're now $1 each? Scarf up hundreds more! That's all you can do. Not every buy is a winner unless you're willing to wait. Collecting is a combination of waiting and moving fast,......................do either at the wrong time and you lose,.....................but time has a habit of evening things out eventually. You just need patience, but it helps if you're impulsive while being patient. Guess you just need to be nutz.

RUE?
Old August 03, 2010, 13:20   #25
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kev

That's how it works. I remember NOT buying G3 mags when they were $60, but scarfing them up later when they were $15. What do you do when they're now $1 each? Scarf up hundreds more! That's all you can do. Not every buy is a winner unless you're willing to wait. Collecting is a combination of waiting and moving fast,......................do either at the wrong time and you lose,.....................but time has a habit of evening things out eventually. You just need patience, but it helps if you're impulsive while being patient. Guess you just need to be nutz.
Kev, I think you pretty much nailed it with the accurate magazine scenario. As a collector myself of firearms, Star Wars, golden & silver age comics, Sportspicks, plastic models and I lost track of what else, you must know the difference between retaining items for personal gratification versus selling at top dollar while the items are in hot demand.
I think your point of short selling while the item is hot and reinvesting the bulk of the funds into other demand type items versus investment items which may or may not provide an acceptable longer term IRR, (Net present value of the US dollar versus the future depreciated US dollar) is on the mark.

But back on track of the thread topic, perhaps this may be the last of the early German FAL prototypes (who knows how much are still available) and there are no more? Too many times I have sat on my hands, procrastinated and thought the supply was abundant where the prices would drop only to be left out and end up paying more for it later on.
I just have a feeling these kits are no-brainers and as long as we don't expect perfection and receive basically what we perceive them to be, the current cost of the kit in a very short time may be moot.
Old August 03, 2010, 13:39   #26
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

Quote:

I just have a feeling these kits are no-brainers and as long as we don't expect perfection and receive basically what we perceive them to be, the current cost of the kit in a very short time may be moot.
Some people are just incapable of doing that, tho. I distinctly remember seeing guys complaining about matching number, unfired StG kits that were missing a pin for the BHO or cocking handle,..................and SENDING THEM BACK! Relatively minor gripes about $99 Rhodie kits or $99 Yugo AK kits,.......................and SENDING THEM BACK! Every time I see this same thing happening I concentrate on buying those kits. It'll take a couple of years, but forever after you'll be glad you did it. Do you know where all those pristine neutered StG barrels went once the AWB expired and everybody wanted a threaded barrel? Pretty damn nice barrels for $10 each I'll tell ya. Buck the trends and go counter to the group.

RUE?
Old August 03, 2010, 13:49   #27
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally posted by kev

What the entire blurb reads to me is that these are NOT G1 kits and don't have the general G1 features. .
Strictly speaking, they are NOT G1 kits - with the tall sights they will be BGS contract rifles, which are "Canada" series, not G1s at all but rather the G1s parents. They appear to have been "updated" to the point where they are pretty much mongrels - historical ones, to be sure, but not representative of the species, so to speak.

Neat to see them, but I'm reserving judgement I'd be excited if they had the type A lowers and stocks AND all the early gas system, but I'm not inclined to throw the dice myself.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee

Last edited by J. Armstrong; August 03, 2010 at 14:28.
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 14:08   #28
nawck
Registered

FALaholic #: 43340
Quote:
Originally posted by SPEEDGUNNER
why no barrel?
I think it's because some rectumhead in the government had a brother-in-law in the gun barrel business and so passed a law that no original barrels could be imported. Or some such nonsense.

Whatever, the main reason was to take away just one more liberty.

oh yeah life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone

plus ça change, plus c’est la meme chose
nawck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 14:16   #29
mojo_matic
banned - trolling marketplace

FALaholic #: 12363
After the garbage that I received from Sportman's Guide, I'm not risking another gamble.

We know that these early Border Guard G1 parts are showing up in current Century rifles. As I understand it, Century imported these kits. Sportsman's Guide had a ton of them, but there were some real dogs (I ended up with two of them). Some people got some KILLER kits... I'm envious!

I could be wrong, but we may be looking at the bottom of the barrel here? If these kits were solid, I doubt that the vendor would ask such a low price.
mojo_matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 14:37   #30
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
So what if you get a Type C stock and dented HG? You can sell the kit next year for what you paid for it.

But what if you do get a Type A stock, a EF DF lower, tall sights, and they do say matching lower, B, B/C. Better yet, what if *I* get one, then how you going to feel?
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 14:38   #31
EX1
Registered

FALaholic #: 12330
One thing to look for on these kits is the 1st model metal hgs.These have never been around before. The kit I received from the llast batch had early hinge pin, early metal hgs without the horseshoe around the front two vent holes,tall rear sight open ear block and B type gas plug.I should have mine this week and will let you know how they look. Thanks EX1
EX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 14:39   #32
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_matic
After the garbage that I received from Sportman's Guide, I'm not risking another gamble.

We know that these early Border Guard G1 parts are showing up in current Century rifles. As I understand it, Century imported these kits. Sportsman's Guide had a ton of them, but there were some real dogs (I ended up with two of them). Some people got some KILLER kits... I'm envious!

I could be wrong, but we may be looking at the bottom of the barrel here? If these kits were solid, I doubt that the vendor would ask such a low price.
Allow me to ask you if the kit you received from SG was on the front or rear end of the purchased batch of kits?
Seems to me some of those which were first shipped were in nice condition and the latter ones were something to be better desired. Or perhaps it was just in the order of posted reviews of the kits.

Maybe this time you will get a Killer Kit from Apex. Lightening doesn't strike three times in the same place does it?
Old August 03, 2010, 14:43   #33
def90
Registered
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Maybe this time you will get a Killer Kit from Apex. Lightening doesn't strike three times in the same place does it?
Maybe it does.. There is a thing called Kharma and it can be a bitch.. lol.
Old August 03, 2010, 14:43   #34
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

Well Sportsman's Guide I learned about quick enough and I won't let them send me junk mail, so we're certainly in agreement there. These might very well be the dregs that have filtered down trhough both Century and SG and I did consider that possibility. Again, one of the reasons I didn't bring this up last week when I noticed the GunBroker listing that was only a couple of hours old. In my mind, me risking $750 is far different than me suggesting someone else risk $750. If I loose my money, at least I don't have to hear about it. I can take my lumps, but I don't like leading someone else down a dangerous trail. That's kinda why I say what I say when 922r comes up,..................I tend to tell people what they're supposed to do rather than what I think they should do, and leave the rest to them.

So far, I think maybe we're reading too much into a single picture of one kit. I probably won't have much of an excuse if that pic turns out to be the best of the lot rather than the worst or even 'average'. OTOH, if I get three kits like that I'll be pleased. If I get three comparable condition kits of differing variables(enough that one truly decent set can be assembled)I'll be thrilled. The only safe option I can see is to wait until several filers have written up their received kits, and by then I'm sure it'll all be over but the grousing. Oh well,..............it's only money.

I'd really like to see everybody refering to these as BGS kits, and I hope there's enough reason to do so. I never much liked the G1 kits anyway. Sold off the only two I ever had without seriously considering ever building them.

Mojo,.................I sure hope I don't get your returned kits.

I've been hoping to pick up more details about this version which I know little about. Unlike others here, I've never spent more than a couple of minutes leafing through Stevens books. I've got one, maybe two versions here, but they worked their way to the bottom of the pile years ago and I've always been too lazy to dig them out for a look. Crazy, ain't it?

Update,......................dug to the bottom of a stack to retrieve Stevens. Naturally it was at the bottom of the biggest stack behind another stack and back in the corner I can't get to(note, three feet of each stack is hidden behind the bed!). Just as naturally,..............there's practically no mention of these rifles and one pic with dis-similar markings. Not 1/10th the info a 30 second search here would reveal.

RUE?

Last edited by kev; August 03, 2010 at 16:19.
Old August 03, 2010, 14:48   #35
def90
Registered
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kev
So far, I think maybe we're reading too much into a single picture of one kit.
I did talk to them on the phone and they did say that the description is accurate. They said they are the early lowers with the early markings along with the tall sights and browning flash hider. My guess is that yes, many of the stocks will be C types stuck onto an A type lower as well as the plastic pistol grips as the original early models were wood thus the statement saying that some parts may have been replaced..

Also, theoretically the original early Border Guard Belgian rifles were the Canada models and had wood handguards which were replaced with bipods and metal handguards and became the G1 as we know it.

Last edited by def90; August 03, 2010 at 16:41.
Old August 03, 2010, 15:36   #36
mojo_matic

Quote:
Originally posted by Abominog
So what if you get a Type C stock and dented HG? You can sell the kit next year for what you paid for it.

But what if you do get a Type A stock, a EF DF lower, tall sights, and they do say matching lower, B, B/C. Better yet, what if *I* get one, then how you going to feel?
Both bolts were destroyed (locking shoulder surfaces ripped up). Neither stock was remotely servicable. One lower had a major dent in it. One gas plug was missing locking mechanism. One bipod set was mangled, rewelded, and then mangled again. Both BHO were FUBAR. Hanguards were toast, of course. I sent the garbage back for a refund.

If you land a killer kit, I will be VERY happy for you!
Old August 03, 2010, 15:41   #37
mojo_matic

Quote:
Originally posted by def90

Maybe it does.. There is a thing called Kharma and it can be a bitch.. lol.
Karma really kicked my ass last night, when I brought home a KILLER Argentine type I para kit, for less $$$ than a decent STG58 kit.

I am better served not tempting fate by buying kits with vague descriptions (unless I can personally inspect it), and enlisting garage hack gunsmiths w/o FFLs. Live and learn I guess......

Last edited by mojo_matic; August 03, 2010 at 15:47.
Old August 03, 2010, 16:50   #38
nawck
Registered

FALaholic #: 43340
Karma pretty much states that it is because my water pump went out on my 2.7L V-6 Dalmer/Chrysler engine 2 weeks ago (search "$1200 for labor on a water pump??") and thus I am flat broke that that is the reason that you can now get Radway Green for 43 cents a stick and any kit for $250.

But I'd say the kits will be better than average, since I can't afford one.

oh yeah life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone

plus ça change, plus c’est la meme chose
nawck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 17:40   #39
EX1
Registered

Just received shipping confirmation should be here Thur. EX1
Old August 03, 2010, 17:45   #40
gobbler
Registered

FALaholic #: 44154
Let us know what you get.....it is like Christmas come early! . I am hoping for more surprises as with the SG kits

gobbler
gobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 17:51   #41
FaNaticAL!
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by EX1
Just received shipping confirmation should be here Thur. EX1
When did you order yours David?

FaNaticAL!
Old August 03, 2010, 17:52   #42
gska3873
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 30923
I have confirmation from Jeff that they have inspected all the parts including bolt and carrier locking surfaces for damage and that all the kits they are shipping are intact.
gska3873 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 18:20   #43
EX1
Registered

Hello I ordered on Fri.Jeff is a great guy to deal with. I dealt with him when I lived in Co and also when he comes to the Tulsa show and he is a very stand up guy.EX1
Old August 03, 2010, 18:43   #44
FaNaticAL!
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by EX1
Hello I ordered on Fri.Jeff is a great guy to deal with. I dealt with him when I lived in Co and also when he comes to the Tulsa show and he is a very stand up guy.EX1
Thanks. I ordered mine today...was curious about the turn-time. I was hoping they would be at Tanner this weekend...but no.
FaNaticAL!

Last edited by FaNaticAL!; August 03, 2010 at 22:04.
Old August 03, 2010, 22:03   #45
blackmatt
Registered

FALaholic #: 20096
Some discussion of Apex here.

My experience has been favorable. I ordered one of the Polish 1960 AK kits recently. Condition was better than I could have hoped. Wood was nice, parts were not beat up.

My experience with SP is another matter. Its business model is obviously quite different from Apex.

Bottomline, I think there is reason to be cautiously optomistic here. Soon enough the first kits will be in and the critiquing will start.

As for price, well Type C butt stocks in used condition have been selling for $50 - $75.

Gas plugs and verticle take levers are ussually gone within an hour of listing for $20-30 each. Add in lowers, even stripped Type A's seem to go for $140ish, and the FH, B/C, all have a value.... you get the point.

Yes, barrels are an issue.

Nevertheless, nobody honestly can say prices will be better if you wait. Notwithstanding what others say, we are at the end of the FAL kit pipeline. 50 years on and most have been cut up by peacenik governments or already sold as a kit.
blackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2010, 22:08   #46
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
Parts kits

Here's one of the problems with parts kits, When a broker sells something to say C.A.I its buy all in that group or nothing, Nobody likes to get stuck with the junkers that won't sell, So it gets passed down the line to the end consumer and when they ship it back it just keeps getting passed on or sold for a small loss or? I asked Apex about hand picking some of the G-1 kits and the lady who I spoke with said the owner wouldn't do it and gave no reasoning at all. So don't be surprized at what you get.
Old August 03, 2010, 23:23   #47
Bigger_Is_Better
Registered

FALaholic #: 4906
I ordered one today and also inquired about them checking the bolts. The very nice young lady said they were, but that she would make a note of it on my order. Hell, I've sold several metric bolt/carrier sets this year for $115. If they are in workable shape, then it's not much of a gamble. There have been a bunch of lugged Argentine barrels for sale on the board lately. Thread them for a Browning Long and they are the correct style barrel. I picked up two about a month ago just in case these showed up again. I also, may or may not know a smith on here who says he can reproduce the lug on any metric barrel.

Aaron
Old August 03, 2010, 23:45   #48
Brasshound
Registered

Well,

I received my not cost $400 receiver today.. In the white as requested..

Looks nice, here is a pic..

Old August 04, 2010, 06:29   #49
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Re: Parts kits

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Carpentieri
Here's one of the problems with parts kits, When a broker sells something to say C.A.I its buy all in that group or nothing, Nobody likes to get stuck with the junkers that won't sell, So it gets passed down the line to the end consumer and when they ship it back it just keeps getting passed on or sold for a small loss or? I asked Apex about hand picking some of the G-1 kits and the lady who I spoke with said the owner wouldn't do it and gave no reasoning at all. So don't be surprized at what you get.
Lee: Apex customer service supported exactly what you had said of the brokers by not selling out the best of the lot first and then getting stuck with the dogs. Or passing along the doggies to unhappy customers.

Where the less than good condition products are usually slipped is in a multiple item orders, but that's not saying this is Apex policy and I am just generalizing from my past experiences.
In the past case of the STG58s, Burn Bros. and others would hand pick an excellent or blued kit for a few extra bucks since there were thousands of these kits on the market, and even the worst of the STG58s were in acceptable condition.

I believe this rationale could apply depending on how many kits a company has on hand. Also, what I have seen smart companies do is part out the poor condition kits and either make their profit margin that way or at least break-even.
Old August 05, 2010, 00:30   #50
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
International Arms purchasing

I've seen this happen quite a few times were a broker who would go to a country and try and hand pick all the good looking weapons and they'd say they would purchase the rest at a later date but leave the host country hanging with the junkers, I know of a few Asian countries that this trick was played on and when my Boss sent me pictures of the junkers and thought about buying them I said HELL NO, Not unless he was buying them at current scrap metal prices as these things looked like total crap AND DIDN'T WANT TO SEE PEOPLE GET STUCK WITH GARBAGE, This was about two years before the barrel import ban and the barrels on most were totally shot out and smooth bores and the rest of the weapons were so pitted all over you'd think they were dug up out of some salt water river. Yes the good old days of buying weapons internationally might come to a close before we all leave the planet and go to a better life.

The other day I had called DSA and spoke with their GM about making new BGS barrels and threading them for the Browning long Flash Hiders and cutting the slot for the donut to fit in to keep the Flash Hider from unscrewing itself during the firing sequence and maybe installing customer supplied Gas blocks that they received with their BGS Kits. He said he would ask the owner about this. Hopefully they will do this as It would be another service they could offer and at the sametime a person would have another USA made part and have their parts installed correctly.