The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old May 18, 2010, 16:19   #1
PennsylvaniaLongRifle
Registered

FALaholic #: 13069
REAL RHODESIAN BUSH WAR PARA FAL

Gentlemen, I am posting this for a friend...

One of the most authentic Rhodesian FN FAL rifles?

Introduction

In August 2009 I acquired a para FN FAL with Rhodesian military service provenance that I think might be of interest to forum members. I currently live in the UK and the rifle is in South Africa, so I’ve had to wait until just recently for the opportunity to take it out onto the shooting range, get some images and put this post together.

What follows is the story of how this rifle was acquired and as much information as I have about it. Aside from the fact that I hope you find the story and the rifle of interest, I would be grateful for any further information that might be out there that could provide further detail on the service history of the rifle.

Last July (2009), I was doing a bit of internet research and on looking up information on FALs associated with Rhodesia, came upon the following image. This had been posted on a South African arms auction site where I also learned that the rifle was for sale and the auction due within the following few weeks.

After getting through a number of logistical issues, I managed to put in a bid, and to my great surprise, was subsequently informed that I was the winning bidder.

Background information

Given that the rifle was described as having Rhodesian SAS provenance (it was at the time owned by a former member of the Rhodesian SAS), I asked if I might contact the seller for more details. We subsequently spoke on the phone, and I also emailed a series of questions which were promptly answered.

Also, on the FalFiles, I had seen the published image posted by “PennsylvaniaLongRifle” of a Rhodesian para FN and later tracked this down to the book “SAS Rhodesia” (see pages 274/275). The image is also reproduced on pages 426/427 of the 2nd Edition, but in a larger format, such that the rifle serial number (“5061”) and “A.N.C. 1970” markings are clearly visible. I am sure forum members are familiar with these images?

Given that the seller of the rifle was ex-RhSAS and an author of one of the chapters in “SAS Rhodesia”, it occurred to me that the rifle I’d acquired, and the one in the book, might just be one and the same, though until I was able to see the rifle, it wasn’t possible to tell as the auction and book images were taken from opposite sides of the rifle (Note: I felt it better not to reveal the name of the seller in order to respect his privacy).

During my recent trip to South Africa this April/May (2010), it was finally possible to confirm the identity of the rifle as being the same as that of the rifle pictured in “SAS Rhodesia”. There follows some images and further information on the rifle:

In terms of basic information, from what I know, the rifle is a FN FAL 50.61, i.e. folding stock with standard barrel length, and in this case has a Type 2 receiver. It is a Belgian FN-manufactured as opposed to a licence built version, such as the South African R1 which were used extensively in Rhodesia. Probably of particular interest to U.S. Forum members, this rifle wasn’t built from one of the kits that were sold in the U.S. It has its original upper/lower receivers and the selector switch and some internal components are modified for semi-auto fire only.

I’m uncertain whether this was done by Rhodesian armourers or for post-military service, however I’m aware that the Rhodesian Army did adapt the FN/R1 to semi-auto only, although I’m not sure how prevalent this was? As can be seen on one of the detailed close-up images, the selector lever has a ‘notch’ that ensures it stops against a pin to prevent it from being switched to the fully automatic position.

The rifle has the standard para rear sight (a two-position peep sight) which is not found on R1 para rifles. From what I understand, the SA R1 para versions were unique, in that they had the standard sliding peep sight.

This FN para rifle is in remarkably good condition for a veteran of the Rhodesian bush war, and my local gunsmith and range owner tells me that the barrel shows little wear and tear, as though it hasn’t been used too extensively. Note in the photos that the rifle was sold with the original camo magazine, rather than the spray-painted magazine that was fitted when the book images were taken. This is likely a later South African magazine.

This FN has some interesting markings. The serial number “5061” is found throughout, except for the different serial found on the magazine well (“878549”). I’m not certain of the reason for that? The main serial is also apparent on the book image (2nd Edition), and confirms the rifle is one and the same. Also, the rifle has the markings “A.N.C. 1970”, i.e. “Armée Nationale Congolaise” (+ date). In other words, the rifle can be traced back to the Congolese National Army. This presumably ties in with information on the acquisition of the rifle by the Rhodesian army (captured during a raid - see later on). It is interesting to note that the rifle does not have a Rhodesian Army “RA” serial number.

Information gleaned from the previous owner (as previously stated; himself a RhSAS veteran of the Rhodesian bush war), is summarised as follows:

“The rifle was acquired following a Contact in Rhodesia in 1977/78 in which 20 to 30 Terrorists were killed. Only a few ‘folding butt’ FNs were captured and later used by the SAS.

The rifle was placed in the SAS armoury to be used as and when required as was the case with several other captured weapons of various manufacture. It was subsequently used by several different people in the SAS from time to time. It is unlikely that there are more than one or two surviving weapons of its type from the Rhodesian SAS.

This particular weapon just happened to find its way into South Africa through the military as most of the Rhodesian SAS and other Regular Rhodesian Forces were offered positions in the South African Defence Force (SADF) after the change of government in Rhodesia in 1980, that brought in the Zimbabwe era.

It was then licensed as a personal firearm in the normal process as an imported weapon.”

From a study of many images from the Rhodesian war, the para version of the FN or R1 appears to be relatively uncommon, although the type certainly was in evidence. I wonder how many of these were from captures or how many might have been R1 paras bought from South Africa.

There is some evidence to suggest that security force personnel considered para FNs to be prized acquisitions. In “SAS Rhodesia”, aside from the use of a variety of Eastern Bloc weaponry by the SAS, by the far the majority of soldiers carried fixed-stock FN/R1s. In all images in the book where para FN versions can be seen, these repeatedly seem to be carried by one or other of the more ‘known’ operators, notably Chris Schulenberg, Andy Chait and Dave Berry.

The following excerpt from Dr J.R.T Wood’s book, “Counter Strike from the Sky” – The Rhodesian All-Arms Fireforce in the War in the Bush 1974-1980 (p170), also gives some support to this. The following refers to a joint RLI / SAS cross-border operation against Zanla (“Operation Dingo”) at Chimoio in Mozambique, November 1977.

“The search of Pasindina 2 yielded only one body but a number of documents.
At 08.37 Stop 1 reported their search of the wooden buildings of Pasindina 2, the convalescent camp, had yielded a body and a quantity of documents. They did not mention the two prized folding-butt FN rifles found by Tony Coom. Lieutenant Mark Adams appropriated one and Coom retained the other, and would use it for the rest of his service in 3 Commando.”

There follows some more images of the FN, showing some more detailed images of various components of the weapon.

Can Forum Members add any further information?

I consider myself extremely lucky to have stumbled across the auction of this rifle when I did, and to have had the friends and contacts in South Africa to deal with some of the logistical issues of ownership while residing out of the country.

It is my aim to preserve this particular FN FAL as a functional and historical reminder of Rhodesia’s bush war history. I’m guessing that it might be one of a fairly few number of fully authentic FN/R1’s still in existence? Also, as a para version, and Belgian-manufactured, it is possibly one of the rarer types of FN/R1 used in Rhodesia during the Bush War?

I would be extremely grateful for any thoughts or further information that would add to the body of knowledge that already exists on this rifle. In particular, does anybody have any knowledge about the likely incident when this rifle was captured, i.e. any references to SAS raids in which para FNs were found? Is it possible that the armoury records for the RhSAS still exist, and that the identities of those to whom it was issued could still be determined, and on what operations?

I look forward to your thoughts and views…
Old May 18, 2010, 16:25   #2
PennsylvaniaLongRifle
Registered

BTW, I have the larger images if anyone needs a closer look...

Last edited by PennsylvaniaLongRifle; May 18, 2010 at 16:45.
PennsylvaniaLongRifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 16:30   #3
Growler Gator
Registered

FALaholic #: 17677
That is about as cool as it gets!
Old May 18, 2010, 16:32   #4
fal fiend
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7091
Great post & pics tyvm.
Old May 18, 2010, 16:44   #5
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Holy Crap!!!!!!!

nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 17:06   #6
EX1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 12330
Hello it looks to have a Alloy lower due to the serial being stamped in the pistol grip.EX1
EX1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 18:44   #7
Jediwarrior
Registered

FALaholic #: 32179
Thanks for sharing. Very informative. Enjoy your find.

I did notice the auto/safety sear is missing.

The selector is an original semi-only selector. It might have been replaced when they were converted by Rhodesian Army armourers, as you have mentioned.
Jediwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 19:08   #8
Tim Dreas
Registered

FALaholic #: 17255
The safety sear is not in the receiver. The ejector block is machined for it. It could have been lost or it could have been removed. Some pics of the upper receiver with the lower receiver separated may show more detail. A lot of rifles were issued with the semi auto only selector. They still had the select fire marked lower receiver so it may not have been changed as it wouldn't be that common to have a spar semi auto selector and it could be original to the rifle, or it may have been changed.
Old May 18, 2010, 19:55   #9
EX1
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 12330
Hello that R marked semi selector came from another gun note the different color camo paint.It is likely the gun came with a FA selector and it was changed for either by the military or for legal reasons due to gun laws.Thanks EX1
EX1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 20:10   #10
mashed68
Registered

FALaholic #: 15826
Please please only run good ammo threw it so we don't have to worry about it going ka-boom. Thats an amazing piece of history IMO.
Old May 18, 2010, 20:29   #11
kmurphy
Registered

FALaholic #: 29121
Looks to be in great shape. Thank you for showing and preserving that great Type II! Love the Rhodesian colors.
kmurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 20:37   #12
jugrunner
restless
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 19911
... ...

"Remember man as you pass by, as you are now, so once was I. As I am now, so you shall be. Prepare for death and follow me."

one of the proud "unwashed" ...
jugrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 20:39   #13
Hansawa
Registered

FALaholic #: 42450
That's the firearm catch of a lifetime! Well done. I'm baby poop green with envy!
Hansawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 20:39   #14
Scott V2
Registered

FALaholic #: 10082
I copied every pic. Thank you for sharing.
Old May 18, 2010, 20:42   #15
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 1877
WOWSERS! That is one rare gun!!!!

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
gunnut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 02:07   #16
ruudje-c
Registered

FALaholic #: 17050
Very interesting story . Due to the markings there's no discussion from where it came . The Congo always has been a area of conflict due to the recources to be find there . This type of para Fal was common for the Congolese army at that time along the fixed stock version . These weapons were used, misused , abused and so on . In the late eighties there was a import in Belgium of used to scrap reveivers with barrels and other parts . Because of the law at that time in Belgium , dealers could sell these as parts . Thats the reason I never encountered a complete rifle . Regarding the proximity of the Rhodesesian border with the Katanga , the area where most of the troubles occured , its no surprise weapons found their way to Rhodesia .
The number inside the magwell is the FN serial number . Fn numbered their Fals according to the client's desires . Therefore there were a lot of rifles with the same number in the different contracts . Fn decided to put its own serial number inside the magwell . So this para is supposed to be the 878549th rifle produced at Fn.
So far I encountered 3 types of Congolese Fals .
- FP : Force Publique , left overs of the Belgium colonisation .
- ANC : Armeè Nationale Congolaise
- FAZ : Forces Armee Zaire
If this rifle was able to speak ..............
ruudje-c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 07:19   #17
tedg
Contributor

FALaholic #: 37851
Beautiful piece of history. I'll be rude and ask how much you paid? Gotta love the type IIs.
tedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 09:01   #18
Brian in MN
Registered

FALaholic #: 289
Quote:
Originally posted by EX1
Hello that R marked semi selector came from another gun note the different color camo paint.It is likely the gun came with a FA selector and it was changed for either by the military or for legal reasons due to gun laws.Thanks EX1
+1, you an also see a bit of a wear mark from the detent rubbing when pushed to at auto position.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:10   #19
GOVTMOD
Registered

FALaholic #: 21430
That is really cool and everyone of us is green with envy.

As for the "full auto" sear, it should to be replaced if legal to do so. FN actually calls it a Safety Sear, i.e. disconnector, and is very handy in having it not fire out of battery. Even if you never intend to use it in full auto you should do so in order to preserve that great part of history.

The wonderful BATF determined it was critical in making the gun fire full auto so they required the deletion of the part in order for FAL pattern guns to be sold here. There have been several reports of FAL pattern rifles having catastrophic failures and I would bet some of them were due to fact there was no functional disconnector.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:18   #20
torquemada055
Registered

FALaholic #: 15170
Simply fantastic that you saved a bit of history.
I take it your the young man in the pics? Since your talking about just aquiring the rifle and the other guy looks like he was THERE when it was being used.

I know, let's abolish the Fed, get out of the u.n. and kick them out of the country, close our borders and deport all illegals, bring every military member back home and close all foreign military bases.
Cut ALL tax rates personal and business to 11%, abolish all unconstitutional federal agencies.
It'll hurt but it would help us as a country.
torquemada055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 15:02   #21
ballistic308
Registered

FALaholic #: 16124
Great post, awesome find. And I mean awesome.

That is something that doesnt happen often, if ever.

And I had no idea gun ownership was even legal in SA...... color me uninformed...
ballistic308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 15:39   #22
GOVTMOD
Registered

Anyone else notice it still has a carry handle?
Old May 19, 2010, 18:00   #23
BC
Registered

FALaholic #: 752
Quote:
Originally posted by GOVTMOD
The wonderful BATF determined it was critical in making the gun fire full auto so they required the deletion of the part in order for FAL pattern guns to be sold here. There have been several reports of FAL pattern rifles having catastrophic failures and I would bet some of them were due to fact there was no functional disconnector.

Anyone take legal action to the BATF?
BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 18:54   #24
Scott V2
Registered

FALaholic #: 10082
Quote:
Originally posted by BC

I think it is still in Africa and not the US
Old May 19, 2010, 19:04   #25
BC
Registered

FALaholic #: 752
Scott, I was asking about the shooting accidents due to missing the safety sear.
BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 01:38   #26
Hoot G
What, me worry?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 23207
Quote:
folding-butt FN rifles
Now that's neat!

Awesome rifle, and awesome information! What a great part of history that most people (at least here in the US) don't know anything about.

Thank you much for sharing that story.

Hoot

Winston Churchill

Always have a go-to-hell plan.
Hoot G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 06:47   #27
GOVTMOD
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by BC

I don't think anyone really wants to. They would probably dtermine that it would be too unsafe to allow FALs at all and they sure as hell wouldn't allow the sear to be added back.

This usually contributes to issues only when the shooter is trying to see how manly he is by firing as fast as he can and the trigger finger starts outrunning the gun. Other times would be when the gun is in a sorry state of disrepair and/or there is a separated case in the chamber.

As I said, let's just eliminate one slight possibility of failure in a historically signifincant gun and put one back in if possible.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:54   #28
Tomovich
Registered

FALaholic #: 8814
That's a sweet rifle and a sweet find! Congrats!

Kalashnikov Collector's Association and FAL addict
Tomovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 10:10   #29
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
I have nothing constructive to add, but that is one amazing find!!! Congratulations on a lifetime-quality addition to the collection.

Peace.

"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God." - Thomas Jefferson

"The constitutions of most of our states [and of the United States] assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property and freedom of the press." - Thomas Jefferson
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 11:32   #30
AndyC
Porridge Wog
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19755
Outstanding find - whatever you paid for it, it's worth way more, IMO

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 02:28   #31
R1
Registered

FALaholic #: 42197
Good buy on your friends part. I bid on the same rifle but, alas, the Pound is mightier than the Rand.
R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 02:38   #32
powermad
Registered

FALaholic #: 21150
Cool pics, thanx
powermad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 06:52   #33
PennsylvaniaLongRifle
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by EX1
Hello it looks to have a Alloy lower due to the serial being stamped in the pistol grip.EX1
So the alloy lower would make it a 50.6... what? 50.64?

Last edited by PennsylvaniaLongRifle; May 21, 2010 at 08:24.
Old May 21, 2010, 12:39   #34
jimmbob
unreparated
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 41144
WOW, too cool NICE !
Old May 21, 2010, 14:28   #35
jimmbob
unreparated
Gold Contributor

Buncha cool pics here on the files I just tripped over and discovered...

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...p&pagenumber=1
Old May 21, 2010, 15:30   #36
PennsylvaniaLongRifle
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmbob
Buncha cool pics here on the files I just tripped over and discovered...

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...p&pagenumber=1
Yeah, I'm Tater over there...
Woah! What happened???
I coulda swore that link was to the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners site???

Last edited by PennsylvaniaLongRifle; May 21, 2010 at 21:03.
Old May 21, 2010, 16:25   #37
jimmbob
unreparated
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by PennsylvaniaLongRifle

Yeah, I'm Tater over there...
I just saw ya over here, Tater:

http://www.newrhodesian.net/

Cool site w/lotsa info I just found & joined.

he he he
Old May 23, 2010, 13:14   #38
neil0841
Registered

FALaholic #: 49501
Tater (‘PLR’) kindly posted this thread on my behalf and suggested I check in to thank you guys for posting your thoughts, impressions and information on the rifle and to answer a few of your questions. So, firstly, thanks to you all for your feedback. And, in response to the various questions:

Yes, I’m the person kneeling with the rifle, though at nearly fifty years old, not a ‘young man’ as someone suggested! The other person is a retired armourer, a friend of a friend, and who came along to the range that day. I used the images I’d taken that showed the rifle off to best advantage – unfortunately the winter light (and overcast on one day) wasn’t helpful (neither was the camouflage!)..

I’m intrigued that the rifle has an alloy lower. You suggest that this is indicated by the serial being stamped in the pistol grip. Does this change the ‘typology’ of the rifle in terms of 50.?? as Tater suggests?

It is legal to own guns in South Africa although the laws were tightened up a few years back and there are various disputes that are going through the courts as we speak. But, in general, South Africa is a country where firearm ownership has been pretty much the norm for many years, and where many people own weapons for hunting, for recreation, and for self-protection. Given its history (from the Zulu wars, to the Boer wars, the World Wars and more recent Border War (including that of neighbours such as Rhodesia), there are some interesting firearms to be found around and about.

To my knowledge, it is not possible to own automatic weapons in South Africa however conversions to semi-auto are probably not based on quite such prescriptive rules as the United States. As forum members have stated, the rifle in question has been fitted with the semi-auto selector and is missing the safety sear. As pointed out by “Brian in MN”, there is wear from the selector rubbing against the auto position, so at one time it must have had the necessary parts fitted for automatic fire. Again though, it isn’t really possible at this stage to tell whether that was during Congolese Army ownership or later; i.e. was the semi-auto selector fitted in Rhodesian service or only later? Given concerns expressed about the role of the safety sear even when in use on semi-automatic, I’ll look into getting this component re-fitted.

Also, interesting that the issue of it still retaining the carrying handle was raised. There is a lot of discussion about the Rhodesians policy of removing the carrying handle and the reasons for doing this. It is true that in about 90% or more of photos, Rhodesian FNs are minus the carry handle. However, equally there are enough images that show that it wasn’t uncommon for it to be in place either. For example, referring to the book “SAS Rhodesia”, there are enough images of some of the well-known SAS operators carrying FNs complete with carrying handles to show that the rule wasn’t absolute. While not particularly significant, this particular rifle does seem to have a grip pattern that I haven’t seen before?

Lastly, if any of you are interested in reading more about the Rhodesian bush war and haven’t already come across the New Rhodesian Forum (NRF) website
(http://www.newrhodesian.net/), please check it out as it is dedicated to Rhodesia and there is a lot of interesting stuff to be found there..

Cheers,

Neil
neil0841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 14:41   #39
jimmbob
unreparated
Gold Contributor

Welcome to the FAL Files Neil.
Old May 24, 2010, 00:26   #40
Brian in MN
Registered

FALaholic #: 289
"I’m intrigued that the rifle has an alloy lower. You suggest that this is indicated by the serial being stamped in the pistol grip."

Hang on. We didn't promise you that you had an alloy lower. We asked you if you had an alloy lower. The rifle had an alloy lower when it left the factory. Try a magnet.

"While not particularly significant, this particular rifle does seem to have a grip pattern that I haven’t seen before? "

What do you mean? Looks like a typical Belgian numbered pistol grip.
Old May 24, 2010, 19:41   #41
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
"BUY THE RIFLE, NOT THE STORY"

This is not only a great rifle, but it has an even greater story to go along with it...and the BEST of the BEST part is the provenance that goes along with the rifle and the story!! Wow, if you could only own one rifle, this could be the one, or one FAL, or one military weapon, no matter - having this in your collection would have to trump every other item you could own.

Thanks for sharing the rifle, the story, and taking us back to a time in history that we all need to learn from. If this rifle ever makes it to the States I could think of many reasons to want to own it.

Way, way, cool.

Thanks for sharing.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 19:57   #42
FAL87
Registered

FALaholic #: 46079
Thanks for posting Neil!
FAL87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 07:04   #43
neil0841
Registered

FALaholic #: 49501
Thanks for all subsequent comments to my last post. “FAL87” – is that you from NRF?
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian in MN
"Hang on. We didn't promise you that you had an alloy lower."
Also, my apologies if I don’t write clearly enough.. “Brian in MN”; no, actually I don’t need anybody to ‘promise’ me anything about the receiver.. it is what it is and original to the rifle in Rhodesian Army service. I am currently not living in South Africa where the rifle is, so not in a position to take a look.

All I wanted to clarify was whether the serial number being marked on the pistol grip is an established FN means of identifying a particular type of receiver as “EX1”s post seems to imply.

As for the grip type.. I’d been describing the carry handle and issues associated with that in Rhodesian Army service, so I thought it was clear that I was referring to the grip pattern on the carrying handle, not the pistol grip. As I did state, it is a relatively insignificant detail, but this is the difference I was referring to…

Also, thanks to “Wilbur” on NRF forum (www.newrhodesian.net) for drawing my attention to another reference to captured “folding butt FNs” in relation to Rhodesian Army operations.

This also concerns “Operation Dingo” / assault on Chimoio, Mozambique in 1977 as previously described, but this time is an excerpt (p188) from “The Elite – The Story of the Rhodesian Special Air Service” by Barbara Cole, which states:

“In some contacts, it was found that the enemy were armed with folding butt FN rifles, and when cornered put up heavy resistance.”

As this is written from an RhSAS perspective, it suggests that they, as well as the RLI, might have taken back some para FNs picked up during this operation?
neil0841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 07:26   #44
PennsylvaniaLongRifle
Registered

Neil,
IIRC, your carry handle is the earlier model, used on the Austrian STG58 and German G1 rifles as well as others, and I'm sure it is absolutely authentic to your rifle... so no worries there. Actually, I prefer that carry handle anyway...
Tater
Old May 29, 2010, 09:53   #45
KIT
Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 8264
Great Post & 'Thanks' for the pics as well. A very interesting PARA with a very interesting and well documented history. A wonderful find and quite unique indeed. I am willing to bet that it is an alloy lower as my friends EX1 and Brian have suggested. I lightened and then enlarged one of the pics and upon close examination can clearly see the small rivets just ahead of the trigger guard that are unique to the alloy lower. Other items of interest I noted based on the available pics; This PARA seems to share many of the physical attributes of the 150 Rogak contract model 50.64 type 2 receivered semi-auto (non-sear cut) PARA's that were imported into the USA on 01 May 1971 with the exception of the following: full auto capability, SA non-bipod-cut handguards, noted G1 carry handle, apparant lack of the 'askerisk' mark on the LH side of the lower (denotes LW lower receiver) and lack of 'G' serial number prefix. Of additional interest is this rifle's unique manufacturing number on the inside of the mag well which is also consistent with the Rogak contract PARA's.

A very well documented post, Thank you again for sharing.

Cheers

-KIT-

Last edited by KIT; May 29, 2010 at 14:00.
KIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 12:31   #46
StealthGhost
Registered

FALaholic #: 53154
Sweet blaster no doubt...
StealthGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2011, 01:52   #47
tiblow
Registered

FALaholic #: 12893
Simply remarkable....... Story and Gun!!! How Cool
tiblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2011, 19:14   #48
gus
Registered

FALaholic #: 12709
WOW!!

very nice centerfold ! nice 'poop' gun [thats a nick name for them fals because of the color of baby crap ]
Old August 05, 2011, 01:44   #49
Peter Wells
Registered

FALaholic #: 3949
Just for the record - our (SA) Firearms Control Act (FCA) categorises firearms into three types:

1) "Ordinary" firearms - manually operated long guns (rifles and shotguns) and manual (revolvers etc.) and semi-auto handguns
2) "Restricted" firearms - semi-auto long guns
3) "Prohibited" arms - anything not covered in the previous two, including full auto, mortars, grenade and rocket launchers etc. etc.

The "man in the street" may only licence/own up to four "ordinary" firearms.

A dedicated hunter or sportsman may licence/own, in theory, any number of firearms for that purpose including, for sportsmen, semi-autos for Three Gun, Combat Rifle etc. Self-loading rifles are not legal for hunting.

A Private Collector can, through a pretty severe process, be categorised as:

1) Category C - may then collect (licence/own) "Ordinary" firearms only
2) Category B - may then collect the above plus "Restricted" firearms
3) Category A - may then collect all the above plus "Prohibited" arms.

No numerical limit for collectors

There are a total of about 20 of us Cat A collectors.

In addition, the FCA makes it legal for the owner to use any arm "Where it is safe and legal to do so", a situation that we put to good use.

Just no HE for the Prohibited stuff so we have to get creative with projectiles. Tennis and golf balls are usefull and, for example, I use turned nylon projectiles in my M79.

As Neil says, there are a number of challenges (brought by the Pro-Firearms lobby) to aspects of the FCA and relevant regulations in the courts at this time but none to negatively affect this situation.

End of lecture.
Peter Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2011, 02:18   #50
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Wells
Just for the record - our (SA) Firearms Control Act (FCA) categorises firearms into three types:

1) "Ordinary" firearms - manually operated long guns (rifles and shotguns) and manual (revolvers etc.) and semi-auto handguns
2) "Restricted" firearms - semi-auto long guns
3) "Prohibited" arms - anything not covered in the previous two, including full auto, mortars, grenade and rocket launchers etc. etc.

The "man in the street" may only licence/own up to four "ordinary" firearms.

A dedicated hunter or sportsman may licence/own, in theory, any number of firearms for that purpose including, for sportsmen, semi-autos for Three Gun, Combat Rifle etc. Self-loading rifles are not legal for hunting.

A Private Collector can, through a pretty severe process, be categorised as:

1) Category C - may then collect (licence/own) "Ordinary" firearms only
2) Category B - may then collect the above plus "Restricted" firearms
3) Category A - may then collect all the above plus "Prohibited" arms.

No numerical limit for collectors

There are a total of about 20 of us Cat A collectors.

In addition, the FCA makes it legal for the owner to use any arm "Where it is safe and legal to do so", a situation that we put to good use.

Just no HE for the Prohibited stuff so we have to get creative with projectiles. Tennis and golf balls are usefull and, for example, I use turned nylon projectiles in my M79.

As Neil says, there are a number of challenges (brought by the Pro-Firearms lobby) to aspects of the FCA and relevant regulations in the courts at this time but none to negatively affect this situation.

End of lecture.
What is the status for carry of handguns at this time, especially for foreigners, same for other laws applicable to foreigners who want to temporarily bring in firearms?

The only people I know who've carried handguns in South Africa did so a long time ago; they haven't been there since the "revolution." My impression from them was that back then it wasn't too hard for a visitor to get a license or permit to carry a firearm but as I understand it, much has changed since then.
bigstick61 is online now   Reply With Quote